Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:22:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Board Fatigue

Started by terminallyrelaxed, February 08, 2004, 08:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terminallyrelaxed

Is anyone else feeling the effects of a new board, in that they can't be arsed a second time around with certain topics?
I am rather pleased, I think, that we've had to start afresh. I'd been starting to feel a little paranoid about some of my more frank admissions on here, and daunted by the prospect of trawling through my two and a half thousand posts or thereabouts deleting anything incriminating.
I know that certain topics come up as new threads every six months or so, and I'm not one to say "we've been through this" but a couple of times already I've wanted to link back to an old (lost) thread, simply because I can't be bothered to type it out all over again, and feel like I'd seem bring an repetetive to those who read it last time around.
I can see that in a few months, there'll be an exchange that will involve some young whippersnapper telling me to "fuck off you arrogant newbie who are you?" because they've got a post count of 500 and I'm still in the low eighties....
I know, the obvious answer is to fuck off and come back after a break, but, well, there just ain't no place quite like this...
Anyone else feeling something similar?

Also we seem to be going through a touchy-feely patch, there's always the odd existential thread but at the moment we've got "How much do you enjoy life?" "How often do you tell your parents you love them?" - I can understand Mr Flunchy's much maligned comment about the Thats Life message board.
Not complaining mind, just an observation... as davetaylor has said, if you don't like or aren't interested in a thread, don't post in it. Wise words. I've tried to live by them, which is why I haven't contributed to the above mentioned threads....

TraceyQ

Ah, it's a re-jigging of social status, isnt it? PLC and AY are no where to be seen, one selling his arse and the other wiping one and everyone's trying to find their place on the new board. I'll just hang about, making cups of tea and cutting observations now and again , I cant see me ending up in the top ten posters because the only way I did that last time was by hanging around for the last three years.

Dr David V

If this board restart has done anything, it's ensured that it's going to last at least another 5 years, should nothing go drastically wrong until Neil installs a screwy thing for the board, causing it to be restarted again, and if that happens, it will go on for another 5 years, until the next screw-up. It's lose then freaking win, baby!

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuoteAlso we seem to be going through a touchy-feely patch, there's always the odd existential thread but at the moment we've got "How much do you enjoy life?" "How often do you tell your parents you love them?"

That was just a backlash following a mountain of hate thread full of people saying what mildly irritates them, and what they'd like to send to Room 101 or a Nazi Concentration Camp.

The board this time round feels a little different. A bit more purposeful maybe, though I'm sure it won't be long before we're all monging again, and at each others throats over whether the 'De' in Peter De Lane just spoilt Directors Commentary irreversibly.

The main forum page seems duller and less comedic too, and that's carried on with by the lack of avatars. (Maybe a MM topic could spawn a whole series of new ones).

Oh well, what do I know? And don't say shit. I know nothing about shit.

Des Nilsen

So is this the first State of the Board thread?

It's been a tough few weeks, but it's bouncing back. I know I haven't bothered to say much since it reopened.. it does feel less warm with the lack of avatars and being "general discussion" and not "general bullshit", and TJ's general apathy with the board not doing exactly what he'd like it to do, while understandable, is a bit off-putting. As I suggested over at the Bomb'd Shelter (and have noticed that it hasn't been picked up on... funny that) is naming the board Verbwhores: The Next Generation and as it turns out that's exactly the situation - the old regulars (TraceyQ, PLC, Almost Yearly, Blue Jammer, Ambient Sheep etc) aren't seen about as much and it's time for a whole new clique.

It's possible people are still in a kind of "I could post but what if it goes tits up again" frame of mind, which won't help.

Slightly related question - when do you think Verbwhores will be gone for good? Yes, feasibly this website could be on the internet in some form or another forever, but it's unlikely. Will we be coming here for the next few decades? Will it be gone by 2006 and we'll all have to find something else to do? Thoughts? Or is it not really worth expending brain power over?

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuoteOr is it not really worth expending brain power over?

Yeah, that. It's going to hurt so much less in the end.

23 Daves

I'd imagine the site is going to become too much of a liability to Neil eventually - unfortunately I've seen a few really good websites online die over the last five years because the webmaster got a really demanding job/ had a baby/ left to work in Africa, etc.  The XTC "Bungalow" site went that way, something I always thought was a huge shame (though it does still exist in its un-updated year 2000 form).

The good thing about this site, though, is it has such a committed community that it's quite likely somebody will offer to step in and take his place, or at least offload some of the work or the cost.

As for the old clique dying off - nah, not all at once.  They enjoy it too much.  I know I do.  The problem with me at the moment is work is just so damn busy that I don't always have the time to keep posting here in the week.

Silver SurferGhost

Quote from: "terminally relaxed"I am rather pleased, I think, that we've had to start afresh. I'd been starting to feel a little paranoid about some of my more frank admissions on here
It certainly is a good thing they're all gone.
Those who consider them important as markers for people's character will remember them anyway,
and everyone else can perceive those people afresh.
Clean-ish slate.
Thank Christ some of mine have gone anyway, now I can make up some new ones.

It's been pointed out to me I'm still stuck in "ironic swearing mode" when half  of the people here
now don't realise why.
No-one seems to be able to throw out a cheery "cunt" now without upsetting someone.
I must try and get back out of the swearing habit, probably just as you lot all get back into it.

With PLC and AY missing we're Godless I tell you....

Now at this point loads of people won't know if I'm being ironic or not, I think that's what's really gone,
that sense of security, not just a load of threads about wanking and bumsex.
Like Devlin says it's not very warm at the moment.
That's possibly why we're having all these touchy-feely threads.
Nothing wrong with them, I usually like them, but I just don't feel comfortable about contributing to any of them yet.

As for if and when CaB's not around anymore, I might take up gardening.

Aw bollocks, we'll get it or something like it back, and bring a load of new people along for the ride as well.

sniff

Frinky

Twice this week I've said to another board member that I'm never posting again, and I deteted the URLs and favourites and cookies and suchforth. Yet I've still got the highest postcount. I just can't leave this place.

Yet.

pretty dead boy

why'd you want to leave?
not that i don't know the feeling of wanting to do something more than internet forums (no offence to you hundreds of huddled cybergimps), but any reason?

if there was a massive american hugging kissing interracial smiley, given neil's special dispensation to consume the board, i'd issue it to say that i think you're brilliant on here, and shouldn't leave.  under any circumstances.

Frinky

Quote from: "pretty dead boy"why'd you want to leave?
not that i don't know the feeling of wanting to do something more than internet forums (no offence to you hundreds of huddled cybergimps), but any reason?

That's the big one :) So much time wasted... I dunno, it's not a reflection on the people on the board, but there's something odd about it now. I def take this board way to seriously, though, I think loads of us do which says something about how good it is/was.

It's just a bit weird now, there are too many fights going on and I've spent way too much time posting bollocks the last couple of days. It's not the massive, cosy love-in it used to be? I'm sure it'll get better though. Most boards you wouldn't notice it, this one you really do.

Edit, oh, and thankyou :)

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "DevlinC"As I suggested over at the Bomb'd Shelter (and have noticed that it hasn't been picked up on... funny that) is naming the board Verbwhores: The Next Generation...
Heh, I never saw that.  Nice idea.

Quote...and as it turns out that's exactly the situation - the old regulars (TraceyQ, PLC, Almost Yearly, Blue Jammer, Ambient Sheep etc) aren't seen about as much and it's time for a whole new clique.
It may be true of some of them, but I'm afraid this is my 125th post...I've obviously just been rambling on to myself in a corner as usual... :-)

QuoteIt's possible people are still in a kind of "I could post but what if it goes tits up again" frame of mind, which won't help.
It is a consideration, especially when I'm wondering whether or not to embark on a long post.

QuoteSlightly related question - when do you think Verbwhores will be gone for good?
Don't ask questions like that, man, do you want to drive us all into mass hysteria?

Maybe it already has gone for good, it just hasn't stopped kicking yet.

I know how Frinky feels.

butnut

Quote from: "Frinky"It's not the massive, cosy love-in it used to be?

I presume you're beeing ironic. If not, it's surely a case of the old rose-splintered testicles.

I feel a bit more liberated here, and on the bomb'd shelter. Sometimes, on the old place, I was a bit shy about posting because I felt I was invading people's territories.

Incredible Monkey Doctor

Quote from: "23 Daves"As for the old clique dying off - nah, not all at once.  They enjoy it too much.  I know I do.  The problem with me at the moment is work is just so damn busy that I don't always have the time to keep posting here in the week.

I've been playing Deus Ex. Nuff said.

I do have a bit of board fatigue though. Like... I just can't be arsed in the same way I could before. Connected with general lifespan of any such place and a recent fight, my heart's just not in it anymore. I'll probably snap out of it though. But these colours are shite, definitely. Bad Karma or something.

Rats

It was called "ck'd & bm'd: The TXT generation" for a wee while when nelly was tinkering. I reckon the little community of the board will survive even after the site is dead. Nelly will set up a little board or something and we'll all find it through google.

imitationleather

Here's a possible monging opportunity...
What will CaB look like in 2014? Eh? Eh? Are you with me?

Anyway, I really enjoyed The Bomb'd Shelter. It did feel much more liberated and people seemed to step out of their usual "characters". The first few days on here were all very pleasant and lovey-dovey but now it's all got a bit stagnant.

Really though, talking about it like this is just going to make it worse. If you leave it alone, things always pick up...

Frinky

I wasn't doing that whole "LOL NO board is crap!11" thingy, I think I've just gone crap.

Silver SurferGhost

Yeah, let's stop picking at it or it won't heal.

Don't talk bollocks Frink :wink:

butnut

I just avoid those kind of threads like daveytaylor's fuck off one. If you take those ones out of the equation, then most of the threads are fun, interesting or disturbing - but almost always interesting.

daveytaylor

Quote from: "butnut"I just avoid those kind of threads like daveytaylor's fuck off one. If you take those ones out of the equation, then most of the threads are fun, interesting or disturbing - but almost always interesting.

Brilliant.

That's what I'm talking about.

You don't like a thread so you ignore it. Why doesn't everyone else do the same?

terminallyrelaxed

Who's picking? I'm talking specifically about not bothering to post about something that we've posted about before the board went south. The rest was just an aside....

dave let it go now mate....

Do you think we'll be VR by 2014? Now theres a question. If it was, what would the rooms look like? GD a gentlemen's club or the common room from the Asylum in 12 Monkeys?

butnut

Quote from: "daveytaylor"You don't like a thread so you ignore it. Why doesn't everyone else do the same?

I think there's some people who feel they have to get involved in every 'big' topic. They just like the sound of their own words. And that's just a personal trait some people have. I tend to run off like a coward if there's any sign of a showdown.

<notices own post count> Hello and welcome to Hypocrisy Today <slinks off>

gazzyk1ns

Hehe Frinkorama is talking sense, I think everyone I've talked to on here since I joined in summer 2001 has seriously considered leaving at some point, usually more than once. I was going to "leave" a little while ago, I left my last post as gazzyk1ns and waited about 2 weeks because I was honestly fed up with it... then I couldn't resist it. I read posts and thought "Right, I'll reply to that..." but obviously couldn't. The thing was... I loved the ArgenBlue profile and so had to re-register in order to always have that everytime I visited. In the end I ended up posting spontaneously when I felt like it as I was registered. It was useless and I felt very dishonest, so I reverted back to gazzyk1ns.

Silver SurferGhost

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Who's picking?
Nah, I didn't mean you, TR, I probably meant myself more than anybody.

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote...and as it turns out that's exactly the situation - the old regulars (TraceyQ, PLC, Almost Yearly, Blue Jammer, Ambient Sheep etc) aren't seen about as much and it's time for a whole new clique.
It may be true of some of them, but I'm afraid this is my 125th post...I've obviously just been rambling on to myself in a corner as usual... :-)

Yeah sorry about that, I was just picking names out of AN HAT!!1 (*cliquey injoking, fuck off you newbie cunts ::wink::*) so that it wasn't just Tracey, PLC & AY in the list of "old regulars" who don't post as much as before.

Having thought about it though, it's probably just that their post counts aren't at 6000+ and I can't see the custom avatar that's making me think they aren't around as much, so perhaps that earlier point isn't valid (though it does surprise me that neither PLC or AY have turned up at all yet).

Dave... don't drag that into other threads. There's no accounting for people's moods at any given time and newbies WILL be unfairly sniped at in the future. That's just the way it is when people have talked to each other as long as some of the people here have.

Rats

Almost's away with his little squelcher for a bit and from what he's said, I'm guessing PLC has landed an acting role playing a gay teacher or some such nonesence.

TJ

Quote from: "DevlinC"TJ's general apathy with the board not doing exactly what he'd like it to do

Ummm... no offence Deviln, but that isn't strictly the case... any chance you could have a read of my most recent post on the 'Iannucci Update' thread, which makes it clear what I object to (and it's a specific type of behaviour)? Cheers!

I think board apathy is seasonal. I regret most of my recent posts and topics, on the new and old boards because when I read them back them seem full of a self-loathing that seems to come out on this forum, that I hope doesn' t exist in the 'real world'. But I remain convinced that I've only been going with the flow, and this is the way that the board and its's members have been going in general.

The (old) forum certainly took a dip in the last year. When I first signed up in 2001, there was of good natured banter along the lines of 'you cunt' etc, but this was balanced by other stuff which was thoughtful and sincere. But there's been a trend towards combining this with the 'cunt' mentality, and too much slagging for the sake of slagging which has been getting too much. But I'm just as guilty of being an unfunny, hysterical, pointless poster as anyone else, it's just most people accuse other people of this, while ignoring the fact they've been doing pretty much the same thing, and it's all part of a trend in this direction.