Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:53:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Zelda Skyward Sword

Started by jutl, November 11, 2011, 09:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jutl

I'm not sure it's worth a thread on its own, but as IGN have just given this 10/10 and called it 'the greatest Zelda game ever created' then maybe there's something to talk about...

buntyman

I'm trying to avoid reading anything about it but I'm incredibly excited about it anyway and have ordered it from 3 different places with various discount codes that I'm not confident about being honoured. The limited edition pack looks like a really good deal and I've got that ordered for £36. The graphics from some screenshots I've seen don't look like a step up from the last Zelda Wii game so I'm surprised they've awarded 10/10 for that. So who else is getting this?

jutl

I'll be buying it, although I'll also have to get the Mario 3DS title that's released the same day. The design looks good, and no-one expects HD graphics from the Wii, so I think that's more where they are marking from a presentation point of view. I must say I'm surprised that they've out and out stated that it beats Ocarina and Link to the Past. IGN already published an article examining the way that
Spoiler alert
Skyward Sword borrows from Minish Cap, which is one of my favourite Zelda games but was one of the Capcom out-sourced efforts.
[close]

mikeyg27

An Edge 10 as well. Their basic summary was that every MotionPlus game has essentially been leading up to this one getting it right. I'll no doubt do my usual thing with Zelda games which is to watch my brother complete it long before I even think of starting it.

pk1yen

Quote from: buntyman on November 11, 2011, 09:48:41 AM
The limited edition pack looks like a really good deal and I've got that ordered for £36.

Is that with the controller? Where'd you find that?

I was slightly annoyed that I'm going to have to pay £50 to get an extra controller I don't really need (because its the same price to buy the game and a MotionPlus separately) ... but then I think, fuck it! New Zelda!
It feels like an N64 expansion pack for Majora's Mask all over again. A weird thing to have to buy hardware for one game ... but fuck it! New Zelda!

I'm seriously beyond excited over this. My excitement for Batman, MW3, and Skyrim has just fallen away, now I've read the snippets of Zelda reviews.

I'm going to be a child again this Christmas. And it's going to be awesome.

buntyman

Quote from: pk1yen on November 11, 2011, 10:53:01 AM
Is that with the controller? Where'd you find that?

Yeah, I ordered it from Sainsbury's with some new customer code. I also did the same for a Tesco order that I'm slightly more confident of being processed for £41. You should be able to get it for £45 at the most and given the reviews and the relatively useful additional bits and pieces in the special edition, I would imagine they'll sell out and be quite sought after over Christmas. Get your order in would be my advice.

MASSIVE BRASS BOLLOCKS OF FUCK YES

Treguard of Dunshelm

Fuck, I'm gonna have to buy a Wii now.

Noodle Lizard

Can I ask some of you more knowledgeable folk whether there has ever been a Zelda game better than Ocarina Of Time (which is one of the best, if not the best, game I've played)?  I played Majora's Mask and didn't think too much of it, and Windwaker looked a bit crap, but I've been completely out of the loop since then - arrogantly thinking nothing could beat the Ocarina.

But if it turns out there are equal or better ones out there, it may be worth investing in a Wii for that alone.  It'd be nice to get hold of some of my old Nintendo favourites anyway, since I can never be bothered to bring out the N64 anymore.

buntyman

I didn't really understand Majoras Mask, I'll maybe have another try with it at some point but I was a bit put off by the apparent time constraints of the game as I'm very slow at most games and get lost a lot. I really liked Wind Waker, thought it had a lovely graphical style and the DS games have been excellent too although Spirit Tracks had a bit too much talking and blowing into the DS which put me off after a while as I mainly play DS while travelling. I stopped halfway through playing my Gamecube version of Twilight Princess even though I thought it was pretty good. I can't remember why exactly, I think it coincided with me moving house and getting a new job and after leaving it for a while it, it's hard to return to the middle of a Zelda dungeon.

jutl

Of the non-mobile Zeldas, Twilight Princess isn't exactly better than Ocarina, but it expands pretty much everything that Ocarina did well, and introduces a greater sense of peril and evil. If you liked Ocarina, Twilight Princess should be a very enjoyable experience. For my money, Link's Awakening is also better than Ocarina, but obviously a very different kind of game, presentationally at least. You can find the Gameboy Color (DX) version on the web easily and run it in one of the free Gameboy emulators. 

Nik Drou

The folks at today's Invisible Walls, from Gametrailers.com haven't been very positive about Skyward Sword at all.

Dare I just type the phrase 'GameTrailers.com' and leave it there?

GameTrailers.com

Well, since I can't actually play UK games on my Japanese Wii, I'm now downloading the leaked US version. Very excited.

I'll report back.

Phil_A

Hang on, have they based the look of the villian on Mr White from the Venture Bros.?

...nah.

Johnny Textface

Little Hoover

madhair60

I'll have to give this a go at some point, though in my experiences all the 3D Zeldas are basically the same.  Link's Awakening and Minish Cap were the only ones I really enjoyed.

Once you get going, the controls are phenomenal. The core mechanics feel fantastic. It's got a ton of style and looks beautiful, even though it is an N64 game. The soundtrack is up there with the best of the series. The dash gauge brings a very welcome platforming element, it's great to see Zelda run and jump and climb up walls. It has nods to 'classic' level design but continually subverts these expectations.

This is the most fun I've had gaming since SMG2.

madhair60

I have to go to bed in an hour because I'm working 8am to 8pm tomorrow.

I just don't want to.

Well, I worked 6 til 7 instead to buy an hour on this and now my Wiimote batteries have run out.

Off to get batteries.

Now you say 'not arsed mate'.

The controls on this are just stupendous. For an N64 game, it's absolutely gorgeous. Levels are much more fluid and open, where in previous games you 'know' you're restricted by certain scenery, in this you can get over it, much more freedom of movement.

Won-won, wonderful.

buntyman

Well you can't illegally download the marvelous golden Zelda themed remote [/jealousy]. Bring on Friday!

jutl

Quote from: Nik Drou on November 12, 2011, 10:38:01 AM
The folks at today's Invisible Walls, from Gametrailers.com haven't been very positive about Skyward Sword at all.

They still gave it 91% eventually.

Nik Drou

Yes, I thought that was slightly odd.  The review even echoes many of the points made in IW.