Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,321
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:05:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Zelda Skyward Sword

Started by jutl, November 11, 2011, 09:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
That's what I thought, actually. I've not had any problems with sensitivity, though, just the occasional need to recentre the cursor, probably once every half hour or so. I can stomach that, it's never put me in danger/caused me genuine problems. It tends to only happen when I've been walking around in first-person perspective for a while.

In other good news, not only am I delighted that he can actually climb quickly now (stopped me from replaying TP for the third time, just too time-consuming) but they've fixed
Spoiler alert
swimming
[close]
. It's actually the best swimming method in any game I've played and I'm surprised nobody has thought of it before! Swimming, even in Mario, can be a ball ache.

eluc55

Quote from: Monkeyman1138 on November 20, 2011, 06:20:08 PM
That doesn't change the sensitivity, that changes the amount of HUD you have.

It seem you're correct, I can only assume that the considerable change in speed/accuracy co-incided with me realising I needed to turn the wii-mote upside down when I synced it at the start of the game. Either that of I've gone mad.

There definitely was a change, though. At the start, I had to almost drag the cursor across the pause screens, and in POV views. Now it moves much more smoothly.

eluc55

I like the way they've included waaaay more warp points in this, and that everywhere you go you create short cuts so you never have to do the same puzzles again. Just push a
Spoiler alert
minecart
[close]
off the side and it acts as a ledge to skip all the stuff you've just done. Excellent level design in this one.

Totally, that was one of the bits where I thought they know so well how to maximise the good times.

eluc55

Over half way through this now, I reckon. Just finished the
Spoiler alert
fourth
[close]
dungeon, which was easily the best so far, and probably one of the best Zelda dungeons I've ever played, with a truly fantastic boss at the end. They're much more challenging in this one luckily,  and make ingenious use of the directional sword attacks.

Now I've got the hang of it, I'm seriously loving the combat in this. Enemies that once seemed hard, now seem easy, their blocks now easy to avoid, and my own blows nearly always connecting. Something like a duel sword-wielding skeleton, which was once a nightmare to defeat, is now easy by comparison, and I'm pitted against far nastier enemies to compensate.   

buntyman

I've got stuck trying to hunt for those little creatures with the grass growing out their backs. Enough of this shit, I want to get to some dungeon battles!

Noodle Lizard

I may get a Wii just to play this.  It'll be nice to have access to all my old N64 favourites, too.

My mate came over yesterday for a bit of gold and dinner and I decided to show him a little bit of Zelda because he's getting it for his girlfriend. I won't spoil any of the surprise - and indeed your experience may vary - but when I was attempting
Spoiler alert
the Desert Silent Realm Trial
[close]
, I was searching desperately for the final piece, I'd run out of
Spoiler alert
light markers to pinpoint its location
[close]
and I was being chased by every single enemy, trying to cover every last corner of the area, having had about ten or fifteen incredibly narrow escapes getting stuck in
Spoiler alert
quicksand
[close]
and running out of stamina just as I was about to get chopped down. I said to my mate, "I thought I'd been there but it can only be
Spoiler alert
at the top of the tower
[close]
." As all the enemies crowded round me, breathing down my neck I finally reached the last spot of unexplored land, surrounded, closing in, I strafed and shifted the camera and me and my mate both shouted "THERE IT IS!!" I ran towards it, watching the ghost things wind up their scythes and used my last bit of stamina to roll and grab it, milliseconds before the slicing blades from about five enemies would have killed me and restarted what had taken twenty-odd minutes of increasingly manic desperation. We both laughed for about two minutes straight at the pure brilliance of the moment.

The best gaming experience I've had in years.

eluc55

Oh, those sections are superb, I just love them. Stupidly tense and exciting, and not like the
Spoiler alert
tear sections
[close]
from Twilight princess at all. It says something that Nintendo have found a way to make even a
Spoiler alert
collect quest
[close]
stupidly good fun.

I'm just about to do the third and presumably final
Spoiler alert
trial
[close]
myself, having just finished the brilliant
Spoiler alert
sand ocean
[close]
level. So many bits have blown me away in this game, but for sheer originality, I think one of the absolute stand-outs was
Spoiler alert
sailing my speedboat through a beautiful, ancient ocean
[close]
-
Spoiler alert
no bigger than a pond
[close]
Spoiler alert
as both my boat - and the ocean - sped across the shifting sands of the desert
[close]
. Its hard to describe how clever that section is, as a concept, but it works just amazingly, as does the dungeon at the end of it.

You guys and gals doing many of the sub quests? I've spent hours just pissing about in Skyloft, doing little missions and exploring. I imagine some people won't like the fact that almost all the sub-quests take place in the central town, and very rarely require you to go further afield, but for me that's a much better way of doing things in a game like this; you never "cant be arsed" to travel to someone or somewhere on the other side of map, and they've crammed in way more sub quests and stories as a result. Even characters who seemed forgettable at first, develop whole characters when you get involved with their lives. You realise whose related to who, notice little familial similarities, and spot quirky animations that make you laugh, like the Fun Fun Island owner's giddy trumpet blow.

It's nice that they give you more choice in how you respond to them as well. I love being hugely sarcastic at every possible opportunity, and leading on the item check girl has made her totally obsessed with me,
Spoiler alert
and even unlocked a subquest.
[close]

Even the upgrade system works brilliantly, since unlike in other games it never feels like a chore; most items are found during the course of the game and your natural progression, so its extremely rare that you have to hunt for a specific item. In fact, once you find the
Spoiler alert
"treasure medal"
[close]
it becomes even easier.   

Every thing's been so cleverly reworked in this game. From the level designs to combat, from the Overworld to the search for heart containers; almost everything feels new and improved.

Except the graphics, which are occasionally hideous.

Was going to post about that specific spoilered area just now. That whole level is a wonderful reworking of several initially interesting but ultimately boring bits from previous Zeldae. The
Spoiler alert
boat/sand ocean
[close]
concept is one of the most imaginative I've seen in a long time. Likewise, the whole
Spoiler alert
time crystal
[close]
thing is done so much more artfully and concisely than the
Spoiler alert
dark/light realm switching
[close]
of Twilight Princess. Every single bit offers a new puzzle. Even when you would ordinarily feel you're backtracking, there's a new puzzle to solve in a new way. I'm with you on the sidequests as well. There's no pointless 'travelling' or dead time - getting from A to B is always fun, on any surface. Every single side quest offers something different and brings more character to the town and its inhabitants.

I also think that the variety and development of item use is perfect. You get something new and hammer it for ten minutes or so unlocking bits and bobs and then the game says 'think again, in a new way'. Just found out that the
Spoiler alert
whip
[close]
can be used to obtain extra materials from enemies whereas I'd not previously considered using it in any other context than
Spoiler alert
swinging around.
[close]
It's the most refined, tightest game I've played in a long time.

eluc55

Right at the end now, having completed the last dungeon. Just got a boss to kill, and I'm done, I reckon.

Instead, though, I'm running around doing every other subquest and getting every piece of heart, cause I just don't want this game to end.

Only one real low-point in the entire game, when you have to go swimming
Spoiler alert
for musical notes
[close]
. Proper tedious for 15-30 minutes that bit. Think it would have worked better if you just had to meet the
Spoiler alert
sky whale
[close]
Spoiler alert
learn the song
[close]
, and
Spoiler alert
access the final trial
[close]
, rather than fucking about
Spoiler alert
meeting the three dragons, and revisiting the areas again
[close]

In any case, bar the swimming bit I mentioned above, this game has just gotten better and better. The last few dungeons have just been incredible.

eluc55

Argh blagghhhhhhhh best final boss ever! It's fucking awesome! I actually shouted "This is fucking amazing" while I was doing it. Seriously hard, though. Completely wiped me out three times, which must be unheard off for me in a Zelda game, and that was with almost every heart container and 2 full life potions. Nintendo certainly know how to pull off a finale in their Zelda games. I always loved fighting Ganondorf as the ocean crashed down around you in Windwaker, but this easily tops that.

Also, I have a confession to make, despite appearing very macho and butch, I actually got a little teary eyed during the ending,
Spoiler alert
which is both incredibly sweet and intimate after such an epic close
[close]
Spoiler alert
Very clever how it sets up the previous games, all set later in the timeline as well.
[close]

Simply put, one of the most brilliant games I've ever played.

One word of advise: make a copy of your game file before you fight the final boss. Once you complete the game you get the option to unlock something which wipes your existing game file (although they do warn you). Luckily I'd already done just this, but I imagine if you hadn't, and didn't want to lose everything you'd got, it would be a bit frustrating to find out so late, and either lose everything, or have to complete it again.

DocDaneeka

I got this a few days ago, it's lovely isn't it?

The world is so charming and the character design so fun and filled with humour it's a real joy to play.

I'm slightly annoyed by the weird motion plus pointer and it still has a lot of the hassles and fiddly bits that other Zeldas had, but it's fun and seems like a better game than Twilight Princess already.

Not had much time on this for about two weeks :(

Gonna get stuck back in tonight I reckon. Delighted to hear that it gets even better towards the end as it's been wonderful up to this point.

Old Nehamkin

Just bought this to play over Christmas once I've finished exams. Can't wait, not bought a game in ages.
One question though, I'm deliberating whether to buy an actual motionplus controller or the cheaper accessory thing you stick on the bottom. Does anyone know whether it works better using the actual controller or is there no difference at all between the two? I don't really know that much about the technology.

jutl

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on December 15, 2011, 06:08:55 AM
Just bought this to play over Christmas once I've finished exams. Can't wait, not bought a game in ages.
One question though, I'm deliberating whether to buy an actual motionplus controller or the cheaper accessory thing you stick on the bottom. Does anyone know whether it works better using the actual controller or is there no difference at all between the two? I don't really know that much about the technology.

I've never noticed a difference in terms of retaining calibration, but some have reported that they find the add-on a bit worse on that score.

I'm just about to do the final boss but deliberately leaving it, been one of the best gaming experiences of my life. As a 31-year-old man, this shouldn't really be possible any more.[nb]because computer games are for children and the emotionally stunted - oh hey![/nb]

I was expecting very little from this, it's been a fucking joy. The 'return to Faron Woods' at some point in the game was so beautiful and jaw-dropping, I could have 'soaked it up' for much much longer than I spent there. Very likely the most beautiful game environment I've ever seen.

I just finished it and cried my eyes out at the ending. When I realised that
Spoiler alert
Impa was you know who, don't even want to spoil it for those of you with terrible self-control.
[close]
:')

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I've just got
Spoiler alert
Din's Flame
[close]
and imagine I'm moving towards the final portion.

It's a fantastic game and I'm trying to string it out for as long as possible.

eluc55

I've played it through twice now, once in the normal mode, once in
Spoiler alert
Hero mode
[close]
, and now that I've finished that, I'm trying to get every piece of heart and complete every sub quest in both versions of the game, too. I just don't want to stop playing.

I think I played about 56 hours on the original play-through (getting everything), and then about 25 on the
Spoiler alert
Hero
[close]
mode.

There are faults, of course; Fi states the bleedin' obvious far too often, the
Spoiler alert
hunt for the three parts of the song felt a little tacked on
[close]
, and there's some obvious filler in there, but by and large its an amazing, amazing game, and just oozes the charm that Nintendo do better than anyone; that knack for simple, but unforgettable characters, the effortless level design and the faultless controls; the sheer variety of gameplay, and the surprising depth and imagination behind every mechanic; a simple integrity in story telling, a perfect blend of tones, a great score, a sweet sense of humour, and an understanding of what makes games fun above all else. Its telling how many of us have said that we didn't want the game to end. They really don't make games like this any more.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Something I've really noticed is how well all the dungeons flow. Most console Zeldas usually have several places where I'm forced to consult a guide, whereas Skyward Sword hasn't had any. There are plenty of headscratching moments, but there's always a clue or a new way to use an item that helps the solution click in your mind.

I read an article that mentioned they'd been influenced by handheld Zeldas and I can see where they're coming from.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I found
Spoiler alert
Swimming for musical notes
[close]
a bit overlong, but the battle before that against the
Spoiler alert
Sky Whale/Wind Fish and it's parasite
[close]
was absolutely magnificent. There've been spiritually similar battles in previous Zelda games -
Spoiler alert
like the flying manta rays in one title
[close]
- but this iteration managed to pull off the vision most succesfully.

Argh, I'm at the inevitable point I always reach in Zelda games where, because of my OCD, I can't make myself progress until I've completed all the minigames for heart pieces and such.

Still got
Spoiler alert
Fledge's Pumpkin Shoot
[close]
and the
Spoiler alert
Shipyard Minecart Game
[close]
to master - I have to switch my mind off and plow on...

eluc55

ENTERING UBER-NERD MODE.

Anyone seen the big hoo-hah that's kicked off following Nintendo's release of the official Zelda timeline? After 25 years of only hinting at the order, they've thrown a real curveball by revealing that there are three parallel timelines, not the two previously thought. Basically Ocarina causes three branches: The reality created when he saves the world as an adult, the reality created when having saved the world as an adult he is sent back in time to become a child, and now, controversially, the reality created if Link (in Ocarina) dies, which then spawns all the pre-Ocarina games on the NES and SNES.

I'm actually very impressed at how well it hangs together now; and it suggests a far more coherent timeline than I ever expected. Windwaker now makes perfect sense placed in the "adult" timeline, with its references to The Hero of Time; Twilight Princess makes sense set in the child timeline, with Ganondorf arrested before he can obtain the Triforce, and rather than create more questions, even the hand-held games, which I had assumed didn't fit into any continuity, now make more sense when lined up in the correct place (for example, why different reasons are given for why Ganondorf became a monster). It certainly suggests they've put much more thought into the coherency of their story than most people gave them credit for, and a lot of the inconsistencies which didn't make sense, now do.

There's a link to the timeline here on IGN:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/121/1215301p1.html

UBER-NERD MODE DEACTIVATED.

Phil_A

I refuse to accept the canonicity of this timeline until they acknowledge all three CD-I Zelda games and the cartoon series.

jutl

Quote from: Phil_A on December 24, 2011, 01:48:13 PM
I refuse to accept the canonicity of this timeline until they acknowledge all three CD-I Zelda games and the cartoon series.

...not to mention the Andy Capp crossover.

lazyhour

Thanks to the high praise in this thread, I've convinced my brother to let me borrow his Wii so I can buy this game and give it a go. I loved Twilight Princess, Ocarina and Majora so I'm getting pretty excited.

So, stupid question: is there any difference, either in the playing or in the technology, between a 'Wii Remote Plus' and a 'Motionplus' controller? I don't think my brother has either, so can anyone advise me if there's one I should choose over the other?

jutl

Quote from: lazyhour on December 26, 2011, 12:56:25 AM
Thanks to the high praise in this thread, I've convinced my brother to let me borrow his Wii so I can buy this game and give it a go. I loved Twilight Princess, Ocarina and Majora so I'm getting pretty excited.

So, stupid question: is there any difference, either in the playing or in the technology, between a 'Wii Remote Plus' and a 'Motionplus' controller? I don't think my brother has either, so can anyone advise me if there's one I should choose over the other?

Motionplus is an plug-in add-on for an original Wii remote that adds some further motion sensitivity. The Wii Remote Plus is a remote with that technology built in. The latter is probably your best bet.

lazyhour

Noodle Lizard

Well, I finally caved in and got a Wii along with the limited edition of THIS.  Just got done with the Forest Temple/battling that fruity Lord, and it's pretty good fun.  I don't know if it beats Ocarina for me yet (aside from the nice sword controls and flying birdy things, which are brilliant), but I'll give it more time.  I assume I'm not very far into the game yet, if Ocarina's anything to go by.

I'll give it credit for giving me possibly the biggest nerdgasm of my life when pulling the Skyward Sword out of the stone in the temple and raising it to the heavens with my special Zelda Wii remote, causing me to feel absolutely epic regardless of how silly I definitely looked.