Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:14:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Darts

Started by buntyman, November 12, 2011, 10:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

When you look at the BDO players who defected, it's not like that side ever suffered from poor darts players, just a lack of money. The standard is lower because all their best players left.

I remember some fanboys claiming van Barneveld who was for some years the best BDO darts player would have his arse handed to him when he defected and yet he still became one of the top players even though he had already peaked.

boki

I'm going to THE LEGENDS OF DARTS MASTERS in London next weekend - has an event ever had a more FUCKING HELL LADS title?

I intend, of course, to behave like a right bellend (within reason).

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 12, 2015, 08:57:19 AM
When you look at the BDO players who defected, it's not like that side ever suffered from poor darts players, just a lack of money. The standard is lower because all their best players left.

I remember some fanboys claiming van Barneveld who was for some years the best BDO darts player would have his arse handed to him when he defected and yet he still became one of the top players even though he had already peaked.

It's the same with guys like Stephen Bunting, Dave Chisnall and Simon Whitlock. If the gulf between the BDO and PDC was that huge then everyone who makes the switch would get destroyed but for the most part the ones who do make the switch hold their own. Playing against better players in the PDC forces them to raise their game but they're not exactly no-hopers to begin with.

biggytitbo

I don't think it's much of an insight to say the very best players in the BDO can compete in the PDC. The difference is in the overall standard, for a variety of reasons.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Chiefly and predominantly being that nearly all the best players have left the BDO every year for the last 20.

If you look at the other aspect of the argument, I find Darts is more entertaining when both players are missing doubles at the first time of asking. Once there is the element of certainty/predictability, it becomes less entertaining, as with any sporting spectacle.

biggytitbo

There is a similar thing in snooker where error strewn frames can be tenser and more entertaining. Thats only really when its two good players wilting under the pressure though rather than two idiots whacking it about randomly.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on January 15, 2015, 11:41:42 PM
It's the same with guys like Stephen Bunting, Dave Chisnall and Simon Whitlock. If the gulf between the BDO and PDC was that huge then everyone who makes the switch would get destroyed but for the most part the ones who do make the switch hold their own. Playing against better players in the PDC forces them to raise their game but they're not exactly no-hopers to begin with.

The BDO is shit because it has very little depth

Their top players do tend to go over and do well, but only the top players

Whereas the PDC has a wealth of talent right through the whole of the field in a major

Morrison Lard

Heads up-
Some pdc masters tournament is live on itv4 in a mo..

Morrison Lard

Quote from: Morrison Lard on May 28, 2015, 09:00:43 PM
Heads up-
Some pdc masters tournament is live on itv4 in a mo..
Not sure it is actually live, being in bongo-bongo-land.
But anyway, it's on.

Morrison Lard

Day two of the BDO pub team reserve tournament.
This match between Sajwani and Hewson is quite frankly an embarrassment.

PDC final is on tonight, Anderson v Lewis.
Ando hit a 9 darter last night. That's 6 in the last 3 years at the World Champs.

The BDO hasn't seen one since 1990.

Morrison Lard

The Count up now against the former "Newfoundland Open Champion" David Cameron.
Come on, Ted. This is practically a bye, don't mess this up.

Fucking love Ted's walk-on.

biggytitbo

Punny comedian Tim Vine would be about world number 12 if he joined the BDO, that says it all. The PDC final right now, the gulf in class is astonishing.

Morrison Lard

Not a bad final that.
Gando made life difficult for himsen a couple of times with his Scotch counting, but it never really looked in any doubt.

The PDC Masters should be on end of January to wash away the stink of the Bob Potter Piss-Up Invitational.

Morrison Lard

Smith v Waites in the final this evening,
should make for a decent game.

Durrant is probably still curled up in a ball crying after his defeat to Waites. PDC surely beckons.
Fair fucks to the fella for doing an interview post-match though. Taylor, take note.

BlodwynPig

Jesus, I read Biggy's post above about the quality between BDO and PDC. If this is the final and the supposed elite players, then I have to agree with the bald one. Amateur shit. The commentating is poor too. The co-commentator has been doing this for years hasn't he...did he do Bullseye? "Is that a dummy?" - realising his faux-pas he made some inane comment about fancy dress shops.

Embarrassing

rjd2

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 10, 2016, 06:50:48 PM
Jesus, I read Biggy's post above about the quality between BDO and PDC. If this is the final and the supposed elite players, then I have to agree with the bald one. Amateur shit. The commentating is poor too. The co-commentator has been doing this for years hasn't he...did he do Bullseye? "Is that a dummy?" - realising his faux-pas he made some inane comment about fancy dress shops.

Embarrassing

Waites was quality a few years ago, reached the final twice in the grand slam of darts and was clearly able to hang with the elite of the PDC. He really should have switched then as he would have done pretty well. He may switch now, but with the insane depth I think he would struggle these days.

The rest of them wouldn't have a hope in the PDC.

biggytitbo

I'm glad Scott waited has finally given up the ghost on those 3 pubes he's been tryin to cover his vast bald head with for the last few years. Good lad, look how he's winning now.

Morrison Lard

Very disappointing. Smith had a lot of promise, but like Hughes in his semi-final appearance he didn't show any quality.
Durrant v Waites was the stand-out match of this year's finals,
there were a couple of other good contenders too, but on the whole it was UTTERLY PEDESTRIAN.

I'm not sure there was a 170 finish during the entire tournament.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 10, 2016, 06:50:48 PM
The co-commentator has been doing this for years hasn't he...did he do Bullseye?
Tony Green. The man is unbelievably poor in his knowledge of the game.
He struggles with almost every checkout. You're right, an absolute embarassment.

The main problem with the BDO pundits, John Rawling aside, is that they know nothing of what happens on the circuit
during the year.

Quote from: rjd2 on January 10, 2016, 07:02:41 PM

Waites was quality a few years ago, reached the final twice in the grand slam of darts and was clearly able to hang with the elite of the PDC. He really should have switched then
Waites will never make the switch, he's happy de-nailing some old sleepers, nipping to Travis Perkins
and then winning the BDO world title.

Quote from: rjd2 on January 10, 2016, 07:02:41 PM
The rest of them wouldn't have a hope in the PDC.
Jeff Smith did 2 years (or thereabouts) in the PDC, won nothing.

PDC Masters will be on ITV4 at the end of the month. Thank fuck.

DrGreggles

I haven't seen any of the BDO this year.
It's usually just a bit of an anti-climax after the PDC.

Do they still hold up signs in the crowd that say '26'?

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 10, 2016, 08:13:02 PM

The runner-up scored 22 twice during the final.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 10, 2016, 08:13:02 PM

I thought i was a maverick by printing off A3 sheets that said 26 on them a few years back at a PDC Premier League night.  Unfortunately no one actually scored 26.

Morrison Lard

The PDC Masters is live on itv4 this weekend.

Lewis/Huybrechts v Wade/Jenkins
Anderson/van der Voort v Thornton/Chisnall
Taylor/Klaasen v Wright/White
van Gerwen/Bunting v Smith/van Barneveld

There's some potentially bang on matches there.
Starts tomorrow at 12:45.

Morrison Lard

Effing hell.
Chizzeh was 8-0 down, pegged it back to 9-9 and won the deciding leg.

Best opening tournament match I've seen in ages.

castro diaz

Yeah, that was mad stuff altogether.  I've never seen a man look more like a tyre fitter than Dave 'Chizzy' Chisnall in my entire life.  Due a major soon, you'd think, although the field nowadays is ridiculously tough and deep, like Liam Neeson.

Just caught up via youtube, langour and ale with both world championships in the space of a fortnight.  It's sent me a bit peculiar.  Too much darts.  Some great matches though, in both codes, and why not celebrate that fact with some silly comments.

Dutch ace Jelle Klassen looks like a pet snake who, being overfed, passively watches a dropped mouse scuttle just inches away from his jaws.

Andrew Gilding, a marketing nightmare, played here by Fungus the Bogeyman in 3D.

Hello I am Kevin 'The Artist' Painter, and I am 50% human man, 50% actual stingray.

Rank outsider, unorthodox throw and unorthodox checkouts, the little known Aleksandr Oreshkin shoud be playing three games of chess at once for wine in a park in wintry Budapest.

It must be difficult to juggle life as a new PDC star while simultaneously being an Easter Island Head, but polyglot Alan 'Chuck' Norris seems to manage it.

As for the coverage, it was genuinely almost ruined by the utter idiots at Ally Pally.  Now I like a drink and acting like a twat as much as the next twat, but they really are insufferable and have taken all the very worst components of the modern football fan.  Uncle Barry has created a jewel encrusted monster and I reckon actual darts fans are losing out.  But it's Sky, isn't it?  It will be a outward success and a moral disaster and get progressively more so forever and ever until there are topless walk-on girls and Peter Wright (pictured below), captain of the Fun Things for Unfunny People thread, wins the 2028 Monsanto World Championship for having the best haircut.

The barracking, referred to as banter no doubt, between the posh seats and the proles is a damning indictment of modern day Britain and truly the most appalling legacy of the current Tory government.  I fucking hate them and despite being a darts obsessive turned down the opportunity to go to Ally Pally over Christmas and the Premier League in Cardiff because of them.  But because I suppose I am not the demographic crooked Baz is after, not willing to buy a funny wig or spend £25 for a pitcher of lagered piss. 

Lakeside is much more my jam and I'm surprised at the short shrift it gets here.  It is out of date, paroquial, and mediocre-to-poor at doing the one thing it is there to do.  It is CaB is a lounge suite and who gives a fuck about the averages.  It's old money, not new, and I like the dusty sausage rolls left out vibe it has.  did you see poor Glen Durrant's face after losing to boiled egg Scotty Waites?  I have never seen despair carved into a man's being like that before.  Utter, utter bereavement.  He also looks like a repressed northern PE teacher from the 50s who pronounces it hom-osexual and lived with his mother his whole life.  He's sticking with the BDO by all accounts though certainly has the game to challenge the big boys.  Good on him.

Why is Life, Glen?

As an aside, I could listen to Johns Rawling (BBC/ITV4) and Part (Sky) all day long, and ex-jailbird Chris 'Mace the Ace' Mason (ITV4) knows the game inside out too, and the excellent coverage justifies ITV's 60 years of otherwise execrable broadcasting.  Both Mason and Rawling know their boxing too, very much darts' sister sport I always think.  Conversely Tony Green (Auntie) doesn't often know what the numbers on a dart board refer to despite spending half his life stood next to one.  But you have to keep him around, don't you, the daft old sod.

As for today I can't see past human bowling ball MVG who has presumably spent all of January furious after getting slapped by Barney, though Chizzy or Wright could have a word too.

P.S.  Phil Taylor is a huge cunt.

buntyman

Agree with much of the above, especially the Snakebite slagging. I went to Ally Pally once for the World Champs and although I'm no darts purist, the expensive beer and generally idiotic crowd with no interest in the sport made for a pretty dire experience. Would much rather go to the Lakeside.

Good to see Taylor bottling it against MVG there, great match though. Hoping for a Chizzy win now.

Morrison Lard

Bloody heck,
That MVG / Pip match was great.

Taylor did a Bristow and shunned the opportunity to finish.

What the fuck was he thinking, MVG is no slouch in that department, already having nailed a 161.

Morrison Lard

No more BBC coverage for the BDO-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/35532372

BT Sport presumably pick up the pieces.
Either that or Eurosport.
Still, it's gotta smart losing that cushy annual beeb money.

Bad couple of week for the BDO with the Players Championships cancelled

QuoteThe event has been cancelled just 3 weeks before it was due to happen

Had tickets to this too. Fuck.

biggytitbo

The BDO is really beginning to suffer from the fact its so shit.

biggytitbo

Anyone fancy watching the greatest darts of all time then switch over to the premier league. 7th leg and van Gerwen is averaging 137.