Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,191
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:40:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Super Mario 3D Land

Started by Consignia, November 19, 2011, 02:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

Anyone else been playing this yet? I picked it up today. Mario platformers rarely disappoint, and this doesn't go near breaking such a rule. It's quite odd in that it packs in quite a bit of nostalgia, but plays quite differently to any Mazza game before. I think the closest to it is probably Mario Galaxy 2. The levels are quite short, but they full of nice little tricks and touches that make it fun to play. 3D as ever is quite useless, but there's really nice bits where the 3D perspective helps with platforming. If you have a 3DS, there really is no excuse not to own this.

As I don't own a 3DS and have no plans to do so, this will be the first Mario game in a long, long time which I won't get to play.

It looks very much like SMG-lite from the ads, which is probably no bad thing.

Barberism

This is the most fun I've had with a game for years.

It's also making me laugh my ass off.

Brilliant.

(I'd go more in depth but I can't stop playing. Better games may come out this year. But none have made me SMILE as much as this one. I haven't played Skyward Sword yet though... from what I've heard it might make my heart explode.)

Fine, fine. I'll buy a 3DS, then.

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 19, 2011, 09:58:13 PM
Fine, fine. I'll buy a 3DS, then.

Tesco have an offer on atm £139 incl Mario.. I really want one now but knowing that the twats are going to release a dual stick 3DS very soon I am not going to give in.

jutl

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on November 20, 2011, 12:50:17 AM
the twats are going to release a dual stick 3DS very soon I am not going to give in.

That's not a foregone conclusion by any means. There's a Japan-only peripheral for Monster Hunter that adds a second stick, but that does not mean that there will be a revised 3DS with that configuration. It would seem insane to split what is already a small installed base with two distinct hardware profiles. Even if they did, it would be unlikely to get developer support; the DSi camera has gone almost unused despite there being 36 million of them out there.

SavageHedgehog

They're releasing rather a lot of these modernised quasi-retro Mario games aren't they? Not that I'd ever complain about such a thing, except that I'm having trouble keeping up with them (plus it makes me half-want a 3DS).

Consignia

Lot's of lovely little touches in this. One of my favourites[nb]not really a spoiler, but I know how ansty people get[/nb]:
Spoiler alert
Luigi has a Fox suit instead of a Tanuki suit. The statue version of the suits have a scarf for Mario and a bandana for Luigi in keeping with the Japanese mythology.
[close]

I concur with Barberism's thoughts, perhaps not be the best game of the year[nb]although easily a contender[/nb], but easily the most joyous. Mario fans should buy a 3DS for this game. It's a finally a justification for the system.

jutl

Yes, this is a joyous little game. I found the coin/save system in New Super Mario Bros to be a bit of a time-wasting pain in the ass, particularly given that it's a mobile game which needs to allow quick bursts of play. This is better designed from that point of view. 

I accept the terms of the

Yep, this is brilliant. Lovely presentation, great level design, and the 3D works. I only had one other 3DS game before this. Whoever thought Zelda should be a flagship title should be fired on suspicion of trying to destroy Nintendo from within; it just made me think the 3DS had shitty graphics and the 3D was crap.

Consignia

Yeah, Ocarina of Time 3D wasn't great. Not that the core game was particularly bad, although it's clearly not the brilliant game others profess it to be and Nintendo think it is, it was just quite poorly presented for such a flagship title.

I think the 3DS wouldn't be under so much flak if Super Mario 3D Land was a launch title. Sure, it would still have the problem with not having really any other games on it. However this gem would have easily made  up for it.

I just can't put the damn thing down. I've got 299 of the medals, and nearly gold flagged each level
Spoiler alert
with both Mario and Luigi
[close]
, so I'm on my way to getting the super secret final level. I don't think I've ever 100%'ed a game before, but this might be the one.

It sounds brilliant but there's no way on Earth I'd pay 150 quid for one game. Having not played Ocarina since back in the murrfucken day and having heard bad bad things about 3DS SSF4, it just looks like a dead machine. I had assumed this would be very much SMG-lite, so I'm happy to hear it's "good shit y'all", y'all.

I accept the terms of the

It's a cross between New Super Mario Bros. and Galaxy. More of the former, really. It's probably the best compromise between 2D and 3D in a Mario game yet.

Don't forget about Mario Kart...[nb]And being able to take a 3D photo of your penis[/nb]

wasp_f15ting

Gosh I hate you bastards.. I just ordered the limited edition Zelda 3DS from amazon.

I am just hearing too many good things about Mario 3DS. I haven't played a mario game since.. the game boy advance. So really looking forward to picking that up. Zelda OOT is a game that I never got to play as it came about as I got out of gaming on the N64. Plus with Mario Kart 7 around the corner and all the other cool features on 3DS this looked like the best time to get one. If the new one does come out with a 2nd stick I could always trade it in.

So on my list of games (bar the above) are; Streetfighter and Starfox.. are there any others that you guys have played and loved?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on November 26, 2011, 06:46:48 PMZelda OOT is a game that I never got to play as it came about as I got out of gaming on the N64.

OMFG do it nao!

Consignia

Dead or Alive is pretty good. It's as smooth as a baby's bottom with the 3D turned off, and it looks pretty good with the 3D on.

Consignia

Wahoo! Just unlocked the final level. I hear it's quite a frustrating level, but the first couple of screens look ok.

wasp_f15ting

I just had a quick go on Zelda wow... I didn't realise how much they had put into the re-make its stunning.

So are there any deals on super mario land?

wasp_f15ting

Crikey! Super Mario is utterly stunning.

As nice as Starfox and Zelda are this I guess Mario is the kind of game we can expect. It looks so gorgeous.. for anyone in any doubt of how this game looks please play it in person. It is so vibrant and clean and very well designed. This is what I expect from Nintendo high quality leading edge technology. The graphics and 3D effect are so well done, please please release more stuff like this rather than re-makes of your older games.. I've only played one level and I am in love. Can't wait to get back to it!