Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:03:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

x is currently listening to

Started by Ralph Cifaretto, November 25, 2011, 08:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I could be wrong but I remember hearing that on the Radiohead website they regularly updated what they've individually been listening to, does anyone know of that? if so, what's the section called?

additionally, does anyone know of any decent artist(s) that do this?

defmem

Thom Yorke often posts an 'office chart' of a few songs he's been listening to on Dead Air Space, for example http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace/110918/office-chart-in-high-winds

Quote from: defmem on November 25, 2011, 08:37:22 PM
Thom Yorke often posts an 'office chart' of a few songs he's been listening to on Dead Air Space, for example http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace/110918/office-chart-in-high-winds

You effing beauty!

Is there any new/old artists you recommend me listening to? I've currently got flying lotus, mount kimbie on my ipod. I'm getting into electronic stuff (via dubstep but am going off some of it) but am happy to experiment with jazz or classical.

Dubstep/electronic records you might like:

James Blake - s/t

Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise

Those aside, I recommend:

Philip Glass - Glassworks

Charles Mingus - Black Saint And The Sinner Lady

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 25, 2011, 09:27:12 PM
Dubstep/electronic records you might like:

James Blake - s/t

Those aside, I recommend:

Ooohhh, somebody recommended Mingus to me many years ago. May have to check him out. I'm a M Nyman fan, and often hear about Philip Glass in reviews and that. It's about time I had a listen.

v00n

Quote from: Ralph Cifaretto on November 25, 2011, 08:54:40 PM
I'm getting into electronic stuff (via dubstep but am going off some of it)

Heard Jaguar Skillz?

Don_Preston

I'm sure you've heard this too, and I hope everyone does experience at one stage of their lives, but Mingus at Antibes is one of the most joyous aural experiences you can have.

v00n

Quote from: Ralph Cifaretto on November 26, 2011, 12:02:40 PM
no not by name. anything else?

I'm no dubstep expert, its just I was invited along when he played Nottingham a few weeks back. It was a right eye opener, like early 90s hardcore thrown together with 2011 kit. My ears are still ringing.

defmem

If you're into Flying Lotus, other Brainfeeder artists may be worth a punt - http://www.brainfeedersite.com/ - some good; some not so good, but certainly worth a delve.

Other suggestions:

Four Tet - Rounds is probably my favourite, but it's all very good IMO (including the album 'Tongues' he did with Steve Reid)
Fennesz/Sakamoto - Cendre
Amon Tobin - ISAM
Mira Calix - Eyes Set Against The Sun
Rustie - Glass Swords (quite a fun album I thought)
Boards Of Canada - All of it, everything they've done. GET IT ALL! NOW!
Some of the stuff coming out of Tri Angle records is quite good, although a fair bit of shite as well

Not the most obscure choices, but I find it hard to make suggestions, such is the wealth of stuff out there.

Quote from: The Boston Crab

Fuck yes. I'd throw "Solo Piano" in there too. Metamorphosis Pt.4 is my absolute favourite piece of music.

QuoteNot the most obscure choices, but I find it hard to make suggestions, such is the wealth of stuff out there.

Dat is de problem. Thanks though.

ThickAndCreamy

Check out Teebs from Brainfeeder too, his album from last year was truly beautiful. The first half is glorious, although overall it is admittedly a bit too long.

yeah x 3 thick and ..., i try to listen to gilles p every week on the iplayer so hear about brainfeeder a lot.

come on, give me more.

Serge

Julian Cope does his 'Address Drudion' on the first of every month, which has effectively turned into a 'What Julian Is Listening To' newsletter. Though at the moment, it's only useful if you're a big fan of Sunn O))) and other bands of that ilk. Still, he was raving about 'Leave Home' by The Men this month[nb]Which has my favourite song title of the year: 'Shittin' With The Shah'[/nb] and did alert me to Shinji Masuko's wonderful 'Woven Music' earlier this year, so it works for me.

Onionlimit

Second this.  One of the best things out this year.  Fantastic album.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ralph Cifaretto on November 25, 2011, 08:26:38 PM

additionally, does anyone know of any decent artist(s) that do this?

Steven Wilson, for many years