Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:28:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Here it is:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EDlcR4XYWM

Gregg's suggestion for a Christmassy Hobbit commercial really made me laugh.

Petey Pate

Was a little disappointed that this wasn't something more elaborate like the Oscar special, but it still made me laugh a lot.  As has been mentioned before Gregg just has an incredible knack for being so hilariously banal.  It was great to see him object to Tim's racism as well.  I also enjoyed how obviously ungracious they were about each other's presents (though at least Gregg made some effort to hide his disappointment); the fact that Tim bought the more expensive gift is something that's bound to cause rifts between them in the future.

Depressed Beyond Tables

I liked it.

Interesting developments at play.

Or nothing happening, depends which side you take.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Petey Pate on December 19, 2013, 08:58:33 AMthe fact that Tim bought the more expensive gift is something that's bound to cause rifts between them in the future.

I own that model of Blu-ray player and it's cheap as fuck.  Think I got it for around $70, which is probably what it would cost to get that On Cinema merch made if you factor in shipping and all that.

Besides, it's #thethoughtthatcounts, isn't it?  So Gregg wins overall.  Nothing thoughtful about a Blu-ray player, especially for someone who's made it abundantly clear that he's a VHS aficionado.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 20, 2013, 01:30:22 PM
I own that model of Blu-ray player and it's cheap as fuck.  Think I got it for around $70, which is probably what it would cost to get that On Cinema merch made if you factor in shipping and all that.

Besides, it's #thethoughtthatcounts, isn't it?  So Gregg wins overall.  Nothing thoughtful about a Blu-ray player, especially for someone who's made it abundantly clear that he's a VHS aficionado.

Somehow I don't think Tim's going to see things that way.

Think they missed a trick by not having a special Christmas themed arrangement for the opening music (with jingle bells).  I did enjoy Tim going on about the War on ChristmasTM though.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

The BluRays Tim got Gregg weren't even Oscar-tipped. Any Movie Buff could tell you that.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Tim is becoming more normal and Gregg is becoming increasingly odder. His rant about needing blinkers for the Hobbit is the patter of a madman.

Interesting.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on December 20, 2013, 01:59:11 PM
Tim is becoming more normal and Gregg is becoming increasingly odder. His rant about needing blinkers for the Hobbit is the patter of a madman.

Gregg has always been really odd and obsessed with the Hobbit.  His idea that "500 Movies in 500 Days" would somehow be an admirable achievement is madder than anything else. 

500 Movies in 500 Days: Kickstarter video for Gregg's campaign

Don't really see how Tim is any more normal.  He's still failing to pronounce the names of well known actors and seems more interested in right wing politics than anything else.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Petey Pate on December 20, 2013, 02:38:51 PM
Don't really see how Tim is any more normal.  He's still failing to pronounce the names of well known actors and seems more interested in right wing politics than anything else.

I like that he breezed through the first few names of the 'Madea' cast and then had pronounced difficulty with the last one.

His right-wing politics have taken a backseat over recent months, so it's good to see that he's still fighting the good fight and hasn't been swayed by the Obamacare excitement.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Petey Pate on December 20, 2013, 02:38:51 PM

Tim ended the last series with a bandage on his head (if I remember rightly). He also went through a bad divorce publicly, numerous times was mean and unprofessional to Gregg, was a disgrace on the Oscars special,  dragged his new girlfriend into things - despite her obvious lack of movie knowledge, and even went as far as larceny.

Gregg on the other hand was always the consummate professional. His attempt at '500 in 500' was admirable, but in no way unachievable to a real movie buff.

Just based on this episode I'd say Gregg is the odder of the two and expect more in that vein. I won't be surprised if he breaks Tim's nose with a headbutt in the next episode.

Petey Pate

NZP

Legit question; does this spoil Her? Gonna watch it tonight.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: NZP on January 09, 2014, 06:46:36 PM
Legit question; does this spoil Her? Gonna watch it tonight.

Yes, watching an entire film tends to give away the ending.

NZP

Petey Pate

Tim is really too good at portraying an absolute cunt.  I genuinely was starting to hate him.

kitsofan34

The Buff isn't reacting too well to The Hobbit's Oscar snub.

QuoteGregg Turkington ‏@greggturkington Jan 16
Tomorrow @TheHobbitMovie is vindicated!!! #OscarNominations #12or13

Gregg Turkington ‏@greggturkington Jan 16
Where is the Best Picture Hobbit

The Oscars is not about #movies anymore. Clearly other forces decide who to nominade.

Everyone who saw The Hobbit (millions if not more) expected it to win the award

If you are so out of touch #Oscar no one will watch it and the award means nothing to anyone

They need a dumpster on the side of the stage at the #Oscars for the "winners" to put their awards in. It was rigged. The Hobbit was best

No other #movie this year moved people like The Hobbit. Why no outrage @TheHobbitMovie  about this scandal.

Who cares about American Hustle, no one. The hustle is what the #OscarIdiots did by not nominating #TheHobbit

The Oscar is like the Edsel. Old and out of touch and WRONG. Please tweet at them
To change the nomination back to The hobbit

Update: Movie News is reporting the Hobbit 2 was nominated for Best Picture! I guess @CNN was mistaken? Confused.

What does the newspaper say.

Lord of The Rings ‏@Hobbitastic Jan 12
'Men? Men are weak' - Elrond
Retweeted by Gregg Turkington

Lord of The Rings ‏@Hobbitastic Jan 10
'Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear.' - Aragorn

Lord of The Rings ‏@Hobbitastic Jan 11
'I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.' - Gandalf

Gregg Turkington ‏@greggturkington 22h
Who is @TheAcademy anyway? They should give a "movie IQ" test to the voters and see. They clearly don't know their stuff. #HobbitBestPicture

Gregg Turkington ‏@greggturkington 10h
The #Hobbit may have lost the nomination, but @TheAcademy lost even more: the respect of #movie fans, buffs, and #experts.

Prediction: no one will ever name their baby boy "Oscar" ever again. Meanwhile babies named Bilbo, Gandalf, and Peter Jackson, up by 100000%

The Oscars are like the rare Brazilian #dodo bird: in danger of extinction! Sorry @TheAcademy but @TheHobbitMovie was the Real Best Picture.

The "Wolf" of Wall Street wouldn't last 10 minutes in Middle Earth. #cowardly

Jeremy C. Shipp ‏@JeremyCShipp 10h
@greggturkington I'd like to see one of their so-called "wolves" go up against a warg. We all know who would emerge victorious. #HobbitRules

Petey Pate

This was the movienews.com source that led him to think that The Hobbit had been nominated, courtesy of Tim Heidecker.

Funny how that the only thing I care about the Oscars is how Gregg Turkington will react to them...

Petey Pate

Interview with Tim (for once, not in character) about On Cinema.  Interesting to know how it originated and that it's all improvised (which I had suspected).

http://www.dailycal.org/2014/01/25/faux-movie-review-web-series-cinema-cinema-develops-real-future/

Petey Pate

How much more of this shit is Gregg going to put up with?

By the way, here's another film essay written by everyone's favourite movie buff.

QuoteWhen Oscar Got It Wrong

by Gregg Turkington

The Academy Awards has been the major award for movies since its inception. But behind all the glitz and the glamour, sometimes they've gotten it wrong, and chose the wrong movie. This article is a look at Oscar's biggest mistakes through the years. The Oscar snubs that we will never forget. ...

1939, The Wizard Of Oz was nominated but did not win Best Picture. Since then it has gone on to become one of the biggest classics of all time. Nothing against 1998's Shakespeare In Love, but why should that movie have the coveted Best Picture Oscar, when the Wizard's mantelpiece is empty???

1981. Chariots Of Fire wins Best Picture. I agree that it was deserving, but feel 1981 should have been the year of the rare Oscar "tie", and that the Statue should have gone to two films, both Chariots Of Fire, and Raiders Of The Lost Ark. History has shown them to both be eternal classics. Oscar needs to have more ties, in general.

1990, the Godfather III. Let's face it, it would have been cool if the Godfather III could break an Oscar record by joining the Godfather (1971) and the Godfather II (1974) to become the only movie from a series that won an Oscar all three times. Imagine what an honor. But it was not to be. Instead, a little movie called Dances With Wolves put Kevin Cosner on the map.

2012. The Hobbit breaks all box office records, and is an audience favorite. Yet it is not nominated at all, meanwhile unseen movies like Beasts Of The Southern Wild are. And then to add insult to injury, Argo wins, not The Hobbit. Let's face it, Oscar, you have become out of touch.

2013. The Hobbit II was even better than the first. But in what is being heralded as Oscar's Biggest Mistake, it was left off the list once again. Fortunately, Oscar Nomations are essentially "suggestions" for the voters, and are not binding. It remains to be seen if The Hobbit II will win anyway, but odds are good. It was a great movie and destiny will make it one of the all time classics of our generation. Oscar, here is your chance to right your wrongs, to make up for some of the historic flubs of the Past. Will you get it right?

Quote from: Petey Pate on January 30, 2014, 11:31:00 AM
How much more of this shit is Gregg going to put up with?

By the way, here's another film essay written by everyone's favourite movie buff.

That is excellent. Where'd you get that from? I've just been googling around trying to find the original post?

EDIT: Just found it. It's on their facebook. Sorry.

Petey Pate

Like I said earlier, intentionally bad writing is probably the easiest form of comedy to do, but knowing that it's penned by Gregg's smug On Cinema persona somehow makes it brilliant.  Someone should ask him which movies aren't a classic?

NZP

Petey Pate

Two big laughs from me in this week's episodes.
Spoiler alert
The photo of Dr. San and Gregg smirking after knowing he'll be replacing Tim was priceless
[close]
Five bags of popcorn easily.

http://youtu.be/g8OlSE96I1s

Petey Pate

Funny how the first episode without Tim still manages to be incredibly awkward and uncomfortable.

"You are an expert... in filing" hahaha