Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:09:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

You can watch the whole Oscar special here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG_Q10F2H_E

Haven't managed to see it all yet because my little lady evidently found it more annoying than the Oscars commercials ("these guys don't know what they're talking about, I don't think"), but I'm looking forward to it.  Sure to be another 5-bagger.

Can't help but think they'd been watching a bit of Brass Eye with that touch-screen thing.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I thought this was fantastic. The amount of emotion Greg Turkington can convey in his eyes alone is impressive - he's such a sympathetic figure, almost the exact opposite to Neil Hamburger.

NZP

NZP

Hawd on is it actually 4+ hours?! Last years wasn't was it

NZP

Quote from: NZP on March 03, 2014, 06:07:49 PM
Hawd on is it actually 4+ hours?! Last years wasn't was it

It's not 4+ hours of actual studio stuff.  They keep cutting for long breaks but the "Fun Facts" and trivia questions that get shown on screen during the breaks are very funny - see above.

I'm just watching this now.  It's fucking brillliant.
I've just got to the part (2 and a half hours in) where they're paying tribute to those Hollywood stars who have died in the past, with Tim and Gregg desperately trying to cover the fact that they're pissing themselves laughing. 
Lovely stuff.

Petey Pate

I genuinely felt bad for Gregg when Tim was drunkenly slating his
Spoiler alert
"Oscer"
[close]
surprise, even though it was hilarious how underwhelming and shit it was. 

This managed to top last years Oscar special for me.  Much more packed into it and less reliant on awkward pauses.  Tim was even more of a disgrace and an arsehole.

A few pics from behind the scenes:

hedgehog90

I love seeing new bits from Decker. It reminds me of a script that was emailed to me years ago by an American adolescent lad.
It was titled 'Alexx Beret' (the name of the protagonist), I think it was supposed to be a 24 clone but it turned out more like a hilariously over the top parody.

I thought the show was excellent. WC Fields/Chaplin was a great addition, I still can't work out if he was for real or not.
Heidecker was excellent, his character was  believable and consistent, and Gregg was his usual subtly brilliant self.
Same time next year I hope.

Petey Pate

Quote from: hedgehog90 on March 04, 2014, 02:06:00 AMI thought the show was excellent. WC Fields/Chaplin was a great addition, I still can't work out if he was for real or not.

"WC Fields" was played by this guy, who's acted in a few other things.  I thought be might have been a real impressionist too but his treatment would have been really mean if he was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Proksch

NZP

Cant believe it's the same guy who does the hackneyed shiter Neil Hamburger as does Gregg Turkington.

Johnny Townmouse

I enjoyed that a lot - the fun facts and quiz cards were fantastic, and their repitition just built how awful they are - particularly the Spielberg fact. And the shitty video covers on rotation kept cracking me up too.

They were all good, but Mark Proksch was excellent doing his Chaplin and WC Fields impressions. He has a wonderful turn in Curb, if anyone is inclined. One of my favourite episodes.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on March 04, 2014, 08:29:03 AM
Mark Proksch was excellent doing his Chaplin and WC Fields impressions. He has a wonderful turn in Curb, if anyone is inclined. One of my favourite episodes.

Which episode? IMDB didn't help me on this.

I knew I recognised WC Fields from somewhere (not from The Office) so it must be Curb but I can't place which episode.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Dusty Substance on March 04, 2014, 05:20:29 PM

I knew I recognised WC Fields from somewhere (not from The Office) so it must be Curb but I can't place which episode.

Just a guess, but was he 'Joseph' in the Nativity episode?

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Dusty Substance on March 04, 2014, 05:20:29 PM

I have a vague memory of him playing Larry's new neighbour. One of the first 3 series maybe.

alcoholic messiah

Are you thinking of this episode of Curb, featuring this guy

??

If so, then your misconception was similar but opposite to mine: I'd wrongly assumed that it was Corddry appearing in The Office and in this.

Petey Pate

Noodle Lizard

I think all in all I preferred last year's one - the stripped-down "what the fuck even is this?" feel of it lent itself more to their inadequacy.  This one was good, but felt a little less genuine and a few of the gags felt too signposted at times.  The whole Peter Jackson/Hobbit thing is funnier when you're more convinced that Gregg really believes it deserves the award.

It's hard to complain though, this is some of the best comedy we've got.

BakedMints

The photos of Steve Harvey on the tribute segment made my face hurt from laughter. Also people should check the yo yo stuff of Mark Proksch (WC Fields) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY1F8tX2CzY

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: alcoholic messiah on March 04, 2014, 08:08:36 PM
Are you thinking of this episode of Curb, featuring this guy

Possibly, yes.

Quote from: BakedMints on March 05, 2014, 12:01:30 AM
The photos of Steve Harvey on the tribute segment made my face hurt from laughter. Also people should check the yo yo stuff of Mark Proksch (WC Fields) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY1F8tX2CzY

He seems great alright. Time to start digging out more stuff on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYTOC4Ge55I

Johnny Townmouse

Goddammit yes. I corrected someone when they suggested it was him in The Office, and now I made the same mistake.

Petey Pate

Tim went back on his word of banning Gregg from On Cinema forever then.

Only discovered this show recently through this site and it's quickly become a favourite. I love the fractious dynamic between Tim and Greg and the ongoing dispute over Star Treks II and IV - the most recent 'Stump the Buff' was brilliant.

Dusty Substance

New one up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mz3aHHFxpc

It's the season finale and I thought On Cinema's finest moment occured last week with the Star Trek question in Stump The Buff, but the letter that Tim reads out much to Gregg's pleasure is now my new all time favourite On Cinema moment.

A hundred bags of popcorn.

BakedMints

Good news: Decker release for 2014 has been confirmed trough Tim Heidecker wikipedia page.

Johnny Townmouse

Apologies for dimness or being slow or simply not getting the joke - but is there really going to be a Decker movie?