Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:21:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yussef Dent

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on April 27, 2018, 12:54:12 AM
New episode just went up - watch carefully; a real WTF moment in there near the end:

https://youtu.be/OGgGA3XCFLY

Edit: DAMMIT, YUSSEF!

Haha, sorry youth ;)

I thought they'd lull us into it all going nowhere, but Rio-Jenesis and VR is done (Gregg getting hold of the technology and obviously having no idea how it works with the reveal at the end, was f**king brilliantly done.) just as you think they'd taken it a bit too far. Isn't the entire series filmed in one day as well? I think if it looks like it's treading water, it's doing so on purpose to tee you up for what is to come.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

That VFA segment was a really clever, funny, in character use of VR.

When I discovered that it too was 360 degrees, I realised I could get a better look at how Gregg's currently living - figured I'd scan round for any details, but hadn't anticipated what I'd find.

Hymenoptera

I was cautiously optimistic even as the "Tim gets sick" thing was playing out, because they'd mentioned that the Delgado's were seizing Tim's assets and stuff, and my god, this latest episode paid in heaps. I love this show and hope it never ends.

spamwangler

some really bizzare facepulling by tim this week

spamwangler

also, i wish Joe Estevez drank at my local. he is a ray of sunshine

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: spamwangler on May 10, 2018, 01:36:56 PM
some really bizzare facepulling by tim this week

He's trying to project a kind of boundless optimism and enthusiasm to please the Delgados, but can't maintain it consistently.

weaseldust

did u guys know that you can always watch the latest episode on adultswim.com and then it goes on youtube a week later

ajsmith2

Glad to see the old 'Tim gets ill on alternative medicine' plot was a fakeout and they're back to exploring a fresh variation on the eternal Tim/Gregg conflict, the new theme being Tim has to pretend he's enjoying himself or he loses the show.

PeasOnSticks

Yeah, with this switch-up they've pushed the season up a notch. Had been a bit meandering previously. You'd think there'd be lots of mileage in the new set-up, too, but with only two episodes left it all seems set to implode.

spamwangler

great to see these two finally getting along!

Petey Pate

The Lion King

This shift in power dynamic is great, and 4 popcorn classics in one episode, what a treat!

Howj Begg

ajsmith2

Interesting ending; yes it fell back on the old 'Tim gets angry' thing, but it seemed to have an air of more finality than usual. I wonder if the On Cinema format is going to be given a rest for a bit after exactly 100 episodes and the next thing from that universe will be another 'Trial' type excursion covering Tim's latest endeavour.

Hymenoptera

Agree with the sense of finality, definitely felt like they're pushing toward something else. There was a self-awareness in the "Tim does a health kick and gets sick" thing. Looking forward to Tim being more overtly-politically oriented. They've seen what they could push for with the trial so this should be pretty great. Also, Gregg literally dropping everything and scurrying away when Tim started yelling really made me laugh.

undeliberated

Problem with this potential move outward to focus on Tim's wider world is that Tim is much less amusing on his own than Gregg.

Gregg exponentially expanding the popcorn classics section every week while becoming more and more focused on running time: fun
Tim shouting and throwing things around: blah

Did like him threatening to use his new powers to shut down the VFA, but again, that just shows that "Tim" is only funny in direct relation to "Gregg", who's a much more distinctive and finely detailed character.

If they're going spin-off I'd much rather see a series of Gregg and Mark cohabiting in the VFA, with Tim's political career playing out in the background, than vice versa.

newbridge

It didn't seem any more final than previous seasons. I suspect they'll be back with Season 11 and the DA campaign will be played out on Twitter and via a one-off special (or during the next season depending on when it airs?)

PeasOnSticks

Quote from: undeliberated on May 27, 2018, 02:04:28 PM
Problem with this potential move outward to focus on Tim's wider world is that Tim is much less amusing on his own than Gregg.

Gregg exponentially expanding the popcorn classics section every week while becoming more and more focused on running time: fun
Tim shouting and throwing things around: blah

Did like him threatening to use his new powers to shut down the VFA, but again, that just shows that "Tim" is only funny in direct relation to "Gregg", who's a much more distinctive and finely detailed character.

If they're going spin-off I'd much rather see a series of Gregg and Mark cohabiting in the VFA, with Tim's political career playing out in the background, than vice versa.

Agree with this. Assuming they follow-up the Tim-moves-into-politics angle, I guess the only feasible way to do it would be to have parallel focuses - Tim's burgeoning political career vs Gregg's attempts at establishing Our Cinema/Popcorn Classics as a standalone show without Tim.

spamwangler

yea standalone gregg/badly damaged mark going an increasingly mad on cinema show, only to be ruined by senator heidecker at the end could be good, bit of a flat ending this series

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I guess they don't want to milk it, but I could've happily seen a few more episodes with Tim constrained by circumstances and his increasing frustration at Gregg gradually exerting more control over the format. It's a shame there was no time left for more of a slow burn.

sevendaughters

another winning series in the can. can't wait for what's next.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on May 27, 2018, 03:36:28 PM
I guess they don't want to milk it, but I could've happily seen a few more episodes with Tim constrained by circumstances and his increasing frustration at Gregg gradually exerting more control over the format. It's a shame there was no time left for more of a slow burn.

They probably should have started the season that way and foregone that whole Germ-Free plotline.  I don't really know how they schedule these things, but it felt like they (rightly) gave up on that angle and came up with something more effective, but didn't have the time left to pull it off properly.  I thought this finale was really weak, might as well have just been a Twitter announcement for all it was worth.

The idea of Heidecker doing more Trump/Alex Jones politics stuff isn't promising, for me.  It's hard to be more absurd than the real thing and at some point it does feel like you're being whacked over the head with it.  Then again, look what they did with The Trial, I'm always open to pleasant surprises.

hermitical

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on May 27, 2018, 03:36:28 PM

Yes, it was excruciatingly beautiful to watch - definitely needed more

PeasOnSticks

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 27, 2018, 05:26:34 PM
They probably should have started the season that way and foregone that whole Germ-Free plotline.  I don't really know how they schedule these things, but it felt like they (rightly) gave up on that angle and came up with something more effective, but didn't have the time left to pull it off properly.  I thought this finale was really weak, might as well have just been a Twitter announcement for all it was worth.

The idea of Heidecker doing more Trump/Alex Jones politics stuff isn't promising, for me.  It's hard to be more absurd than the real thing and at some point it does feel like you're being whacked over the head with it.  Then again, look what they did with The Trial, I'm always open to pleasant surprises.

It did rather feel as if they'd changed course mid-series and rejected the initial RioGenesis plot, so we ended up with two half-series, neither of which was fully fleshed-out. The change in power dynamic was a great idea but felt rushed, even wasted. And yeah, further politicising the Tim character doesn't seem the most interesting way to go - as you say, there's been more than enough Trump/Jones-parodying as it is, and they're easy targets.

A strangely unsatisfying series, then - some great moments, though, as always. But, after series 9 and the trial - both of which were fantastic - this was the first time I felt things might be starting to get a little stale.

The entire series was worth it for the two-second shot of Gregg scampering off in fear at the first sign of trouble. Gregg (the real Gregg) is a great physical comedian.