Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:42:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petey Pate

Long before he wowed audiences as Santa Claus, which movie actor was arrested at an airport for possession of cocaine in 1978?

dr_christian_troy

I love the Oscars Specials so much. I think I may need to have a re-watch of the entire run very soon.

In regards to the OH BOBBY moment, do you reckon there was a padded mat on the floor which was then removed very quickly? I would have thought that regardless of the comic intention that could really cause some actual physical harm.

garbed_attic

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on February 26, 2019, 03:25:11 PM
I love the Oscars Specials so much. I think I may need to have a re-watch of the entire run very soon.

In regards to the OH BOBBY moment, do you reckon there was a padded mat on the floor which was then removed very quickly? I would have thought that regardless of the comic intention that could really cause some actual physical harm.

I think Mark's just a pro

Chollis

TIAL

I came here to ask exactly this! Even with a mat that would have been a pretty dangerous stunt, either they gave this a lot of thought or just didn't care.

Just finished this and loved every minute. I want to share it with everyone I know who is in to comedy but there is so much back story, people with actual lives and families might be confused if they didn't watch everything leading up to it.

Noodle Lizard

I only watched it once, but I assumed all those bits with Mark were pre-recorded.

TIAL

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 26, 2019, 09:27:16 PM
I assumed all those bits with Mark were pre-recorded.

I think they could well have been pre-recorded because any form of corpsing would have been so noticeable. But it was still very much Mark in that position (unless it was a very good mask?). I'd love to know how you do a face-first fall to the floor and make it 100% safe.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: TIAL on February 26, 2019, 09:35:37 PM
I think they could well have been pre-recorded because any form of corpsing would have been so noticeable. But it was still very much Mark in that position (unless it was a very good mask?). I'd love to know how you do a face-first fall to the floor and make it 100% safe.

With the right padding it'd be no worse than falling onto a mattress, I guess.  Bit frightening mind you.

garbed_attic

Quote from: TIAL on February 26, 2019, 09:35:37 PM

I honestly think Mark's just a stone-cold maniac tbh!

He only falls out of the frame, it's possible they just caught him out of frame in addition to there being padding. I assumed it was pre-recorded too because it cut back to him with blood makeup very quickly.

(Love that we are dissecting the stuntwork for On Cinema)

Do we think it's a reference to the late great Bobby Davro perhaps?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: The Boston Crab on February 27, 2019, 04:19:26 AM
Do we think it's a reference to the late great Bobby Davro perhaps?

As referenced several times in this thread!

QDRPHNC

I donated to the Oscar Special fundraising thing last month and thought no more about it, until arriving home yesterday evening to find a package all the way from sunny California in the mailbox.

I assume if I had said that I was a Timhead, I'd have got some DKR branded stuff, but the VFA logo is way, way cooler. The highlight of the GreggHead certificate:

I pledge to never switch my area of interest from movies, to music, or alternative medicine.

weaseldust

so many things i could mention about this amazing oscar special but just want to say that gregg's non-reaction to the oh bobby bit was downright disturbing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QstmzeaLRKo

God, I fell out of watching this around the time of Tom Cruise dying (R.I.P.) and forgot how good it could be. Think I'll watch it from the beginning again.

The Lion King

Only had chance to watch an hour or so of this - I really enjoyed the chat between Raphael and Greg, especially Raphael's barely concealed frustration at Greg's current oscar obsession 'A star is born'. Things get really intense when Tim shows up, I find it a bit much. I like On Cinema best when it is low key passive agressive jabs and inane chat rather than the full blown Alex Jones tempest it is now. I spose it's too far gone now to go back to that, I still really enjoy it mind.

sevendaughters

Quote from: The Lion King on February 27, 2019, 06:17:45 PM
Only had chance to watch an hour or so of this - I really enjoyed the chat between Raphael and Greg, especially Raphael's barely concealed frustration at Greg's current oscar obsession 'A star is born'. Things get really intense when Tim shows up, I find it a bit much. I like On Cinema best when it is low key passive agressive jabs and inane chat rather than the full blown Alex Jones tempest it is now. I spose it's too far gone now to go back to that, I still really enjoy it mind.

Gregg's grunted 'no' kept making me chuckle.

garbed_attic

Quote from: weaseldust on February 27, 2019, 05:28:18 PM
so many things i could mention about this amazing oscar special but just want to say that gregg's non-reaction to the oh bobby bit was downright disturbing

I think it's often tempting to view On Cinema as Tim = chaotic evil and Gregg = lawful good, but really Gregg is no less selfish than Tim, just far less destructive.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: gout_pony on February 27, 2019, 07:46:53 PM
I think it's often tempting to view On Cinema as Tim = chaotic evil and Gregg = lawful good, but really Gregg is no less selfish than Tim, just far less destructive.

Absolutely. They both ultimately display different kinds of extreme selfishness, but Tim's mercurial and Gregg's myopic.

thraxx

Stone cold?  Mark was corpsing like a motherfucking during the Bohemian Rhapsody cover.

Axiom was brilliant, earnestly trying to follow Tim's lead.

I see a little scaramental of a scratch.
Spare him his life from prosaucity.

Will someone please write down Tim's lyrics in full?

thraxx

And Tim needs to be careful as the LAPD have a warrant to talk to him.

trabuch

Probably unfair to compare. But they came out at the same time, so I will. This is better than Partridge.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: thraxx on February 27, 2019, 09:17:09 PM
Stone cold?  Mark was corpsing like a motherfucking during the Bohemian Rhapsody cover.

Axiom was brilliant, earnestly trying to follow Tim's lead.

I see a little scaramental of a scratch.
Spare him his life from prosaucity.

Will someone please write down Tim's lyrics in full?

I mentioned his almost corpsing upthread.

I loved "Just gotta get right, just gotta get right mama mia".

thraxx

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 28, 2019, 12:27:12 AM
I mentioned his almost corpsing upthread.

I loved "Just gotta get right, just gotta get right mama mia".

Scram-dam-dam-dam DAM!