Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:16:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petey Pate

Quote from: The Lion King on February 27, 2019, 06:17:45 PMI like On Cinema best when it is low key passive agressive jabs and inane chat rather than the full blown Alex Jones tempest it is now. I spose it's too far gone now to go back to that, I still really enjoy it mind.

I prefer the more nuanced and subtle earlier shows too, it's funnier when Tim and Gregg's resentment for each other isn't overt. That said, this year's Oscar Special was pretty good. They may have been peaked with the brilliance of the Trial but there's still enough interest in the storyline for me. It must be difficult at this point though when Tim is straight up evil and Gregg trusting or forgiving him would be too much of a stretch.

I'm pretty sure the 'Oh Bobby' moment was a tribute or at least a reference, given that both Tim and Gregg are connoisseurs of disastrous TV/film moments. I know that Tim is a League of Gentlemen fan and the footage appeared in the recent Inside No. 9 Halloween special so they may have seen it there.

Bazooka

I've not had time to watch this, how much Joe Estevez can I expect? He is my biggest draw.

thraxx

Quote from: Bazooka on February 28, 2019, 01:37:53 PM
I've not had time to watch this, how much Joe Estevez can I expect? He is my biggest draw.

A fair chunk, and at his most affable.

The Lion King

Thains of the Shire really bringing the vibes with that flute ditty

PlanktonSideburns

Joe estephez is pure affability,  like a bottle of distilled Aff

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

The bit where Joe pulled away during Dekkar's astonishing Bohemian Rhapsody cover, because he was worried about Gregg, was very touching.

QDRPHNC

Did anyone else find the tone of the Bohemian Rhapsody finale kind of not-in-keeping in the OC universe? Maybe Tim was genuinely drunk, but it seems too overtly comedic - hammy and broad. Surely Tim would try to do genuinely do the best cover he could.

ajsmith2

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 01, 2019, 02:12:24 PM
Did anyone else find the tone of the Bohemian Rhapsody finale kind of not-in-keeping in the OC universe? Maybe Tim was genuinely drunk, but it seems too overtly comedic - hammy and broad. Surely Tim would try to do genuinely do the best cover he could.

I dunno, it didn't seem that far removed from him dicking around drunkenly with a bass guitar 4 OCOS's ago. Just kind of drunk self indulgent assholishness riffing off a theme.

weaseldust

so do we reckon tim knew what he was doing with the magnets?

i sensed he was up to something when he was looking at the tapes because he was making some weird grinchy faces but i assumed he was thinking about stealing and selling them on ebay, but maybe that was said to throw everyone off?

either way i love how this has happened so many times but somehow i never see it coming

ads82

Just finished it and loved it. The highlights for me were the zero hour infomercial, a great piss take of those idiotic right wing conspiracy nut videos and Marks's confusion upon awakening, his reactions were hilarious. I loved how underneath the chaos, everything comes together. Didn't love Tim's final song mind you, seemed to go on for too long.

Does anyone have any idea if they are doing another season?

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: weaseldust on March 01, 2019, 06:39:16 PM
so do we reckon tim knew what he was doing with the magnets?

i sensed he was up to something when he was looking at the tapes because he was making some weird grinchy faces but i assumed he was thinking about stealing and selling them on ebay, but maybe that was said to throw everyone off?

either way i love how this has happened so many times but somehow i never see it coming

Oh, Tim knew. My favorite thing about this is the fact that Gregg's lost his archive, what, four times now? And every time, almost immediately, he reacquires the lot and then some for next to nothing, such is the value of VHS these days. (I also love the detail of his keeping a supply of blank tapes on hand to tape all the current Oscar nominees.)

Captain Z

Gregg still has another 2 backup film archives in secure locations.

I must admit I was a bit nervous what direction they were going when Tim turned up wearing a strange bulky vest and a backpack.

Bryan Cocks

Quote from: gout_pony on February 27, 2019, 08:29:09 PM
This is pretty good and useful for anyone looking at this thread, interested, but overwhelmed:
https://www.vulture.com/2019/02/tim-heidecker-and-gregg-turkington-on-cinema-guide.html

I've watched a few of these over the years but not religiously. It sounds like it's a show that really benefits from immersion, so would you recommend starting from the beginning? S01E01? And working my way through it?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Bryan Cocks on March 02, 2019, 09:38:37 AM
I've watched a few of these over the years but not religiously. It sounds like it's a show that really benefits from immersion, so would you recommend starting from the beginning? S01E01? And working my way through it?

I think it's the only way to get the most out of the show - it's such a slow burn that relies on the audience knowing every detail from On Cinema's past.

Like a soap opera, you absolutely could start watching from any point, but many of the character traits and plot threads wouldn't have as great an impact because of the lack of context.

Captain Z

There was an initial series of podcasts too, worth starting there. Should all be up on Youtube in a playlist.

weaseldust

yes watch it all. very good playlist here which puts all episodes in chronological order with the specials and decker the spinoff series - great when one show starts affecting the other and vice versa!
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoNT68a21gfd6-vUS9GXG_MO1hkrdE6zu

edit: oops just saw the post above mine, i'm sure there's one with the podcasts too

Captain Z

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRT5PdjVF-ipL5SPXbmZXzfBchXVR8JTo

But like the one Weaseldust posted it's incomplete around Decker season 3/4/5 because for some licensing reason I've never understood those seem to be very hard to track down online. This one also stops at OCATC season 8.

Ron Superior

Apologies if it's been mentioned earlier in this thread, but Gregg was interviewed on the latest Kreative Kontrol podcast and he mentioned a movie he and Tim had made as part of the On Cinema universe, around Tim running for DA, some filmed in studio, some in public. He was fairly raving about it, particularly Tim's performance. Said it should be out later this year, including hopefully a theatrical run, but I'd imagine that would be US focussed. Exciting!

Interview is here:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/kreativekontrol/Kreative_Kontrol_Gregg_Turkington_March_13_2019.mp3?dest-id=490439

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Ron Superior on March 14, 2019, 04:36:05 PM
Apologies if it's been mentioned earlier in this thread, but Gregg was interviewed on the latest Kreative Kontrol podcast and he mentioned a movie he and Tim had made as part of the On Cinema universe, around Tim running for DA, some filmed in studio, some in public. He was fairly raving about it, particularly Tim's performance. Said it should be out later this year, including hopefully a theatrical run, but I'd imagine that would be US focussed. Exciting!

Interview is here:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/kreativekontrol/Kreative_Kontrol_Gregg_Turkington_March_13_2019.mp3?dest-id=490439

Thanks for linking to that, I've never heard Gregg talking as himself before.

Epic Bisto

Woah! I didn't expect to see another Kreative Kontrol listener on this here website! Thanks for that.

I would like to add that I saw the special a few days later than everyone else, and all I will say is that Mark Proksch is always responsible for the biggest laughs of any special he appears in.  Even in this one where he doesn't need to do much, any time he popped up led to me almost pissing myself laughing in fits of hysteria.  Also, I agree that THAT moment is a total "Oh Bobby!" homage.

"What's wrong with this gentleman over here? This...gold person?"

QDRPHNC

I just returned from Nashville where I saw Tim and Gregg doing On Cinema live. Really good atmosphere - almost like a panto, lots of participation and shouting from the crowd, but not catchphrase shit. It worked really well.

Let's see...

Manuel and Axiom came out first in their Dekkar togs to get the crowd pumped up, and they certainly did. Once we were all screaming at fever pitch, Tim came running out in a suit and immediately killed the energy by stumping for his run for DA of San Bernardino ("I really should be doing this in California, but...").

They did a live Decker play. President Davidson (Joe Estevez, as lovely and endearing as he is on the show) gets kidnapped by the Tal-e-ban (Manuel and Axiom wearing the same clothes as earlier, with ski masks) after chatting a bit with Agent Kington. Decker appears at the back of the hall, clambered over the seats right next to me (see below), gets on stage and frees the President. That's literally it. Tim excitedly reveals that the terrorists were actually Manuel and Axiom and says they've been workshopping the Decker play for about 6 months.

Intermission, I went outside for a smoke and came in a minute too late, when Tim and Gregg were already onstage for the proper On Cinema segment. "Thanks for coming back" said Tim as I sit in my 3rd row seat. I was drunk enough that my social anxiety didn't kick in, and I merely waved at him. A second chap came in a minute later, which created a Tim freak-out, screaming that we'd had 15 FUCKING minutes to come back and threw his mic stand around a bit.

Being drunk, I can't remember what movies they reviewed, but I don't think I'm giving too much away to say they both received 5 bags of popcorn.

Last bit was Stump the Buff, where Gregg randomly picked questions that the audience had submitted earlier. Tim got an audience member on stage but screamed at him to shut the fuck up when he tried to talk. Show ends in chaos after a massive argument as to whether Gregg's answer to the question was Toy Story 3 or "Toy Story - comma - 3, Tim Allen's third highest grossing movie."

Show closer was everyone on their feet singing Our Values are Under Attack. Gregg watches from the sidelines eating popcorn with a dirty look on his face. After everyone else leaves, comes back out to reiterate his position in the Toy Story dust-up.

Five bags of popcorn, and maybe a bunch of flowers each for Tim and Gregg for putting on a wonderful live performance.

Sounds like a great show, thanks for the comprehensive review. (Five bags and maybe a little plastic Timex watch so you aren't late next time.)

riotinlagos

A guy called Justin Gaynor has created a very comprehensive database for On Cinema so now everything is easily accessible in one place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XBTbJMo6gI&frags=pl%2Cwn

https://www.oncinematimeline.com

hedgehog90

Quote from: riotinlagos on May 16, 2019, 08:55:24 PM
A guy called Justin Gaynor has created a very comprehensive database for On Cinema so now everything is easily accessible in one place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XBTbJMo6gI&frags=pl%2Cwn

https://www.oncinematimeline.com

Wow, just as a website this thing is an A+.
Incredibly impressed. Justin is a pro.

hermitical

A thing of beauty.

I came across some Mega.nz links for OCATC and Decker. If anyone wants them just drop me a message

Captain Z

Very well-realised site. But Decker S1-3 is essential viewing in the timeline, I am surprised that has not been included given they're all on youtube. I understand there must be some kind of licensing issue with S4 onwards, but I think the two shows stopped overlapping so much at that point.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Captain Z on May 17, 2019, 07:09:57 PM
Very well-realised site. But Decker S1-3 is essential viewing in the timeline, I am surprised that has not been included given they're all on youtube. I understand there must be some kind of licensing issue with S4 onwards, but I think the two shows stopped overlapping so much at that point.

I was thinking about this - not sure if what's inclusion in later Decker lines up as he should be in a coma?

riotinlagos

From the About/FAQ page:

What about Decker?!?
Decker is (probably) coming soon. There's also a couple alt-episodes of the podcast and some miscellaneous On Cinema videos that I've debated including in the main timeline but I felt like this was a complete enough timeline to launch with. There will definitely be more content added.