Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:34:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: riotinlagos on June 12, 2019, 07:59:13 PM
I'm moving to London at the end of the month, really hope I can make this!

Email the chap in the link to reserve a copy of the book!

riotinlagos

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on June 12, 2019, 08:01:02 PM
Email the chap in the link to reserve a copy of the book!

Cheers I likely will, just need to fit it around sorting a place to live.

garbed_attic

Can't work out how to book tickets (if you can and there are still some available?) but this should be a C&B meet!

riotinlagos

Quote from: gout_pony on June 12, 2019, 09:55:18 PM
Can't work out how to book tickets (if you can and there are still some available?) but this should be a C&B meet!

I think you'll be guaranteed admission if you email and reserve a book (there are no tickets as such). As it's free you might still get in even if you don't want the book depending on how busy it is.

From the ad:

Email simon@dragcity.com to reserve your copy, which will be signed by Gregg and collected by you on the day.

sprocket

Quote from: riotinlagos on June 12, 2019, 08:22:00 PM
Cheers I likely will, just need to fit it around sorting a place to live.

Does the British Film Institute have an archive you could stay in?

riotinlagos

Quote from: Pancake on June 13, 2019, 11:23:40 AM
Why the fuck would you do that

Cos I'm bored as fuck and Gregg Turkington isn't coming up to Elgin anytime soon.

garbed_attic

Quote from: riotinlagos on June 12, 2019, 10:03:57 PM
I think you'll be guaranteed admission if you email and reserve a book (there are no tickets as such). As it's free you might still get in even if you don't want the book depending on how busy it is.

From the ad:

Email simon@dragcity.com to reserve your copy, which will be signed by Gregg and collected by you on the day.

Thank you! Sorted!

For some reason, Tim has recorded a eulogy for Neil Hamburger

Also, Tim and James Adomian were in the studio with Scharpling on The Best Show last week. (On Cinema Tim has called in before; this is IRL Tim.)

riotinlagos

Quote from: gout_pony on June 26, 2019, 12:25:11 PM
Anyone else going on Saturday?

I'll be there. Also going to the Neil Hamburger gig later that night in Soho.

garbed_attic

It was a low-key but rather lovely affair with Greg as his measured, slightly guarded, rather affable self rather than as "Greg", since he felt that to appear as "Greg Turkington" completely independently from Tim (at least outside of the 'On Cinema universe') so would be to betray the relationship between the two characters on some level. Fairly straightforward but interesting questions from the audience revealing that the show is mostly improvised (with much corpsing) around pre-determined plot points, and that "Mark" is really just an exaggerated version of Mark. Also got Greg to sign my VHS copy of Monkeybone which he awarded the coveted 5-bagger rating to.

dr_christian_troy

I was the guy in the red jacket near the front who kept inadvertently knocking the arm of the chap in front of me. Apologies.

Ferris

I think I'd really like this podcast/youtube series (I loved Nathan For You and Review With Forrest MacNeil) but the sheer volume of it is offputting.

I'm sure this has been answered already, but in the interest of saving me going through 70 pages - where should I start with this?

Captain Z

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 01, 2019, 02:49:37 PM
I think I'd really like this podcast/youtube series (I loved Nathan For You and Review With Forrest MacNeil) but the sheer volume of it is offputting.

I'm sure this has been answered already, but in the interest of saving me going through 70 pages - where should I start with this?

Each episode is between 6-12 minutes so it doesn't take long to polish off a series. The exception being the Oscar Specials. The first time I watched from the beginning I just started from S1E1 of the video series in this playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFHLfmoLchI&list=PLoNT68a21gfd6-vUS9GXG_MO1hkrdE6zu

The second time, I went back to the very start of the podcast series using this playlist. There were 50-odd audio podcasts but some of them are literally a couple of minutes long:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOMQEb3SY6k&list=PLRT5PdjVF-ipL5SPXbmZXzfBchXVR8JTo

This site also lays it out in a comprehensive timeline:
https://www.oncinematimeline.com/

Can't remember how much backstory/personal stuff starts to creep into the first video series, I think that picks up around series 2 or 3.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 01, 2019, 02:49:37 PM

This Youtube Playlist collects every episode of On Cinema and its various offshoots in chronological order.

Others may disagree with me, but if you're new to the show I'd recommend skipping the early audio episodes for now (which are entertaining in their own right but which I see as a kind of extended pilot for the show proper) and go straight to the first video episode.

I completely understand how daunting this show might seem to get into and I find it a bit of an uphill struggle to recommend it to people, but it's worth keeping in mind that the majority of the episodes are under 10 minutes long and I do think the show develops a very breezy, compulsive quality once you've become attuned to the characters and the rhythm. The first season runs to about an hour and a half in total and I think by the end of that it should be pretty apparent whether you feel like carrying on or not.

PlanktonSideburns

just came to post the exact same words as thunderjake. been thinking about it since greg mentioned it on that creative control podcast

VelourSpirit

Brilliant, a film was bound to happen eventually, and it's actually the characters rather than a film the characters have made! Got to catch up on the trial.

hermitical

Has anyone pre-ordered the book? US release a couple of days ago but seems to be either September or November across here...

QDRPHNC

Ferris

Quote from: jake thunder on July 01, 2019, 08:01:14 PM
I am mad pumped for this.

This film will be the catalyst for me to get into this, won't it?

Fine! Fine. Here we go. Goodbye, afternoon.

Ugh.

Petey Pate

I'm a little perplexed at how the film is going to work. Have they made it for people unfamiliar with the On Cinema universe or strictly for fans only?

This quote from the Variety article implies that the film could reuse/recreate past moments from On Cinema.

QuoteIn the movie, Heidecker beats a murder charge for selling faulty e-cigarettes at an EDM festival, and mounts a campaign to unseat the San Bernardino District Attorney.

I still have confidence that it will be good though.

PlanktonSideburns

I recon they could set it up pretty fast: failing media personality with a mystery past, which is alluded to as it goes on