Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:01:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McChesney Duntz

That's a great interview, by the way, and I'm not just saying that to circumvent the edit bug.

These guys are my fucking heroes, goddammit, and growing in stature every day - good thing I have a job, or I'd be watching the new Channel 5 stream on the Adult Swim site 24/7. Talk about an embarrassment of riches (with a fair dollop of the riches of embarrassment stirred in).

garbed_attic

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 20, 2019, 02:32:10 PM
After the live On Cinema event at the Soho Theatre I made a note to watch him interacting with fans (most of them CaB people tbh) and he really did not seem so different to his character. Maybe he was still in character, but he has this rather odd high shouldered, stiff way of moving that I love.

He's definitely a touch more cynical and laconic than "Gregg", I thought, but in a weirdly friendly way. I thought he dealt rather graciously with the obsessive (though quite nice - I chatted to him briefly after) fan at the front who wanted him to take all his VHS tapes.

hedgehog90

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on July 20, 2019, 08:51:41 PM
That's a great interview, by the way, and I'm not just saying that to circumvent the edit bug.

It really is.

[Tim smashes a bee in a paper bag on the table, but then the bee crawls out, unscathed.]

Quote from: Petey Pate on November 26, 2011, 09:23:28 PM
Its not all that funny because there's not much too it other than them managing to come across as being awkwardly uninformative.

One bag of popcorn.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: weaseldust on July 21, 2019, 10:50:46 AM
what is edit bug?

Edit bug, or glitch, occurs when somebody edits their post after a certain amount of time, leading the post to continually show up as a new reply to the thread until someone replies to it.

There was an Edit Glitch Removal Person but they appear to have chosen a life of mean spirit and selfishness instead.

Cuellar

BritishHobo

I'm in awe of the trial. I already had high expectations from the posts on here, but it really is something else. The dedication of making it so dry and accurate is fantastic. I love that the first day is pretty much entirely joke-free. It's sucked me in to the reality of the situation so well, by the time Gregg is called up, about two hours in (" I also played Dale in Ant-Man."), I'd completely let my guard down and almost forgotten what I was watching. Insane. Still have another three hours to go as well.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 21, 2019, 04:15:17 PM
One bag of popcorn.

It is funny reading that in hindsight. Who would have thought that a series of minute long podcasts would blossom into what we have now.

hermitical

Quote from: kittens on July 20, 2019, 12:01:34 PM
"I have very little respect for those who mire themselves in the muck of knowing useless trivia and pointless data about movies"
made me burst out laughing. is the book out now then?
I think it is officially out later in the year? But I spotted it on Juno, I emailed to ask if it was actually in stock and they said they had one copy at the moment. So gave in to impulse and bought it (yes for that ridiculous amount mentioned as on Amazon above - don't tell the wife.....)

BritishHobo

Officially completely caught up. Just finished this year's Oscar special, which was relentlessly brilliant. I quite like the idea that Gregg may eventually end up exhausting the entire supply of VHS tapes in North America with the amount of times he has to replace that collection. The payoff with Mark, and the magnet punchline with the tapes, and it all dovetailing at the end, is just amazing. Tim blasting that Bohemian Rhapsody cover while Gregg angrily fiddles with tapes off to the side, Joe Esteves comforting him, Mark watching blankly from a chair, it's just... I don't know any comedy thing like it. I absolutely love that they've got all of these people like Axiom and Manuel who are perfectly happy hanging around in the background for hours just to come on for a couple of minutes and not even do anything particularly funny - not to deliver any big comedy lines, or act crazy. Largely to just sit behind Tim, occasionally contributing in a very straight and realistic way. Mark(who, two weeks ago, it's mad to think, was just 'the one American bloke from the What We Do In the Shadows TV show' to me)'s commitment to the whole thing is wonderful as well. And as has been said many times in this thread, I'm staggered how developed it all feels. The Victorville Film Archive almost feels like a real place to me now. Fucking mental. Absolutely fucking mental.

Gutted to realise this was happening on the same weekend I was in London next month:

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on June 12, 2019, 07:51:51 PM
On Cinema book signing with Gregg and Iain Lee at Rough Trade.

Hope everyone who went had a good time.

Noodle Lizard

I think it's about as close as comedy has come to being an Alternate Reality Game (ARG).  Like you say, it really does feel like you can inhabit and even interact with that world, which exists just parallel to our own, with its huge and diverse range of characters, situations, history etc.  That's what makes it truly special to me, moreso than anything else, and I imagine that's the reason the fans it has are generally so dedicated to that world-building.  The unsolicited creation of the On Cinema Timeline website proves that this is something people are very, very invested in as an ongoing story.

Cuellar

Fuck me just watching the 5th Oscar special and Mark Proksch's Quint monologues from Jaws are tickling me pink, along with Tim's increasing frustration with him.

"It was just after we dropped the bomb, the HiroSHYma bomb..."
[Tim off camera]"HiroSHIma, dummy - come on"

Suki Bapswent

We're binge-watching this from beginning (not including the podcasts) to end, and are currently closing in on the end of Decker 2 and On Cinema season 6. We're just working through the YouTube playlist.

We found Decker a bit of a stretch in season 2 - just the sheer number of episodes with about about half of each one a recap of the one we'd just seen. I don't know if they're worth the laughs they occasionally generated.

The playlist doesn't include many Deckers after this point - just a smattering of S3 and nothing after that. Are they worth pursuing separately?

Puce Moment

Quote from: Suki Bapswent on July 30, 2019, 03:42:14 PMWe found Decker a bit of a stretch in season 2 - just the sheer number of episodes with about about half of each one a recap of the one we'd just seen. I don't know if they're worth the laughs they occasionally generated.

Hang on - are you talking about Decker 2: Port of Call: Hawaii?

QDRPHNC

Decker 2 is as peak as Decker gets. I lost interest in it after that, since it mostly disassociated from OC. Although the competing Decker vs. Dracula tell-all documentaries were glorious.

Puce Moment

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 30, 2019, 04:49:45 PMDecker 2 is as peak as Decker gets.

Other than sections of the Oscar specials, it's my favourite thing they have done together.

Suki Bapswent

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 30, 2019, 04:24:59 PM
Hang on - are you talking about Decker 2: Port of Call: Hawaii?

Yes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting it's bad, but I don't think the central joke sustains 20 episodes, even when they're so short.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Suki Bapswent on July 30, 2019, 05:02:43 PMYes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting it's bad, but I don't think the central joke sustains 20 episodes, even when they're so short.

Perhaps watching this in real time as they went out originally was a better experience (particularly because of the repetition) but the level of guerrilla filming they do in that series is hilarious. Especially the zipline.

Suki Bapswent

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 30, 2019, 05:08:27 PM
Perhaps watching this in real time as they went out originally was a better experience

Yeah, that's what we've concluded. We tend to watch three or four in a go, and it gets a bit tiresome, to be brutally honest. Spaced out, even daily, and watching them as they roll in would be a much better experience.

Still, we're enjoying it. I've heard the later seasons of OCATC suffer a bit, but from the little teasers I've given myself, they also seem to get a bit more creative and 'out of the box', so greatly looking forward to that.

dr_christian_troy

Is anyone else watching the Channel 5 stream? Aside from repeats of Awesome Job, Bedtime Stories, Decker, On Cinema, Check It Out and Tom Goes To The Mayor, there's some great new shows on there too. I'll start a separate thread for it if anyone is keen.

BritishHobo

I would have to concur that Decker: Port of Call: Hawaii seems like it would have been better watching live than I found it to be while marathoning. It's very very fucking good, but it was definitely very relentless and exhausting punching through six or seven episodes at a time before getting a new On Cinema episode. It made it tough to like, even though it constantly made me laugh - especially, as has been said, because of all the (deliberate) time-wasting.

I've been listening to 'Our Values Are Under Attack' over and over though. Such an ear-worm. I love the weird punctuating arm movements Tim does at the end of the video when he's singing the title line.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on July 30, 2019, 06:11:42 PM
Is anyone else watching the Channel 5 stream? Aside from repeats of Awesome Job, Bedtime Stories, Decker, On Cinema, Check It Out and Tom Goes To The Mayor, there's some great new shows on there too. I'll start a separate thread for it if anyone is keen.

Yes, I have (see top of page), to much delight etc. If you don't start the Channel 5 thread, I will...

McChesney Duntz

As for Decker: Port of Call: Hawaii, it may seem counter-intuitive, but the full-length, 80-minute "movie" edit (which is only available, as far as I can tell, on the Adult Swim site) actually rather breezes by - a concentrated hit of purest Decker. But then, I descended into full-on junkiedom some time ago, so your experience may differ.

Chollis

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 30, 2019, 06:39:40 PM
I would have to concur that Decker: Port of Call: Hawaii seems like it would have been better watching live than I found it to be while marathoning. It's very very fucking good, but it was definitely very relentless and exhausting punching through six or seven episodes at a time before getting a new On Cinema episode. It made it tough to like, even though it constantly made me laugh - especially, as has been said, because of all the (deliberate) time-wasting.

I agree, I remember finding it a bit of a slog in parts when I was binging it.

I'm rewatching now and up to S7 Ep1, what a belter, Tim and Gregg reviewing eachother's movies Ant Man and Fantastic Four.  Tim's review especially:

https://youtu.be/fgoanR8BAMA?t=461

"I give it an unprecedented 1 bag of popcorn, way more than it even deserves but as you know there is no such thing as 0 bags of popcorn. There has to be a bag of popcorn, these are movies, so laws of physics demand at least 1 bag of popcorn."

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 28, 2019, 12:11:21 AM
Mark(who, two weeks ago, it's mad to think, was just 'the one American bloke from the What We Do In the Shadows TV show' to me)'s commitment to the whole thing is wonderful as well.

Bit of a tangent, but treat yourself and watch some of his K-Strauss interviews if you've never seen them before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj9VF7LyffU

There are better recaps of the story online, but basically he just did these for fun while temping somewhere in Wisconsin and they independently went viral and caught the attention of The Office US writers who brought him out to Hollywood and launched his career.

fatguyranting

"I'm rewatching now and up to S7 Ep1, what a belter, Tim and Gregg reviewing eachother's movies Ant Man and Fantastic Four"

'It's a horrible, horrible movie'. So funny.

Cuellar

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 31, 2019, 12:50:00 AM
Bit of a tangent, but treat yourself and watch some of his K-Strauss interviews if you've never seen them before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj9VF7LyffU

There are better recaps of the story online, but basically he just did these for fun while temping somewhere in Wisconsin and they independently went viral and caught the attention of The Office US writers who brought him out to Hollywood and launched his career.

I feel like immersing myself in On Cinema and Tim and Eric stuff generally has utterly destroyed my ability to distinguish between what's real and what isn't. Are these genuine appearances on local news shows? The anchors and presenters aren't in on it, I mean?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Cuellar on July 31, 2019, 12:04:32 PM
I feel like immersing myself in On Cinema and Tim and Eric stuff generally has utterly destroyed my ability to distinguish between what's real and what isn't. Are these genuine appearances on local news shows? The anchors and presenters aren't in on it, I mean?

Yes, K-Strauss was performed as if he were a real person on genuine morning talk shows.