Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:57:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suki Bapswent

Quote from: Chollis on July 30, 2019, 08:32:06 PM
I'm rewatching now and up to S7 Ep1, what a belter

"It's a little early, I can't put my finger on how many months he is"

Puce Moment

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 31, 2019, 12:50:00 AM
Bit of a tangent, but treat yourself and watch some of his K-Strauss interviews if you've never seen them before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj9VF7LyffU

There are better recaps of the story online, but basically he just did these for fun while temping somewhere in Wisconsin and they independently went viral and caught the attention of The Office US writers who brought him out to Hollywood and launched his career.

Thank you for posting this - I love Proksch in everything, and I had seen these before, but not edited to together like this. I also assumed he was an established (albeit not well-known) actor/comedian whilst doing this.

Captain Z

Quote from: Cuellar on July 31, 2019, 12:04:32 PM
I feel like immersing myself in On Cinema and Tim and Eric stuff generally has utterly destroyed my ability to distinguish between what's real and what isn't. Are these genuine appearances on local news shows? The anchors and presenters aren't in on it, I mean?

You should get onto 'Nathan For You' if you haven't already.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 31, 2019, 01:10:07 PM
Thank you for posting this - I love Proksch in everything, and I had seen these before, but not edited to together like this. I also assumed he was an established (albeit not well-known) actor/comedian whilst doing this.

Have you seen Another Evil? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4185566/
He's brilliant in it.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on July 31, 2019, 02:25:31 PMHave you seen Another Evil? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4185566/
He's brilliant in it.

Have not seen that! Thank you - looks adorably shite in a good way!

Quote from: Cuellar on July 31, 2019, 12:04:32 PM
I feel like immersing myself in On Cinema and Tim and Eric stuff generally has utterly destroyed my ability to distinguish between what's real and what isn't. Are these genuine appearances on local news shows? The anchors and presenters aren't in on it, I mean?

All 100% real (and not in a reality TV sense). Proksch and the guy he planned it with actually didn't even release these recordings. They were planning to wait until they had 10 different segments that they would edit together to tell a story arc (using local TV stations all throughout the Midwest so none of them would know about the others) but people watching on TV in the wild started uploading them and they went viral.

Part of the inspiration was how desperate to fill airspace these morning "news" shows are and how they will let anyone in the air to basically do shitty infomercials. Nathan Fielder used this to similar effect years later with "The Movement"

McChesney Duntz

Not sure how I missed the whole K-Strass phenomenon, but good god...

"How long have you been practicing yo-yo?"
"Um... when did Schubert Dip come out?"

Ferris

Cuellar

I'm wary of things involving unsuspecting members of the public. The K-Strass stuff was pushing my limit, but I think it just about fell on the right side of things. It can often come off as cynical and sneering. "Haha we're taking the piss but you're just reacting like a normal human being would, ha ha idiot" Hmm.

Puce Moment

I always think that the people who have a job interviewing a man about yoyo-ing (which even the One Show Producers would reject) probably really appreciated that there was a prank performed. I could be wrong, but he does go on these tiny local shows, and it's hard to to imagine they feel humiliated by the experience.

Cuellar

Yeah, as I say, the K-Strass thing is sort of fine for me, not hard to watch. But any time Chris Morris did it in his various stuff just made me awfully uncomfortable - hated it.

Quote from: Cuellar on August 01, 2019, 10:16:25 AM
I'm wary of things involving unsuspecting members of the public. The K-Strass stuff was pushing my limit, but I think it just about fell on the right side of things. It can often come off as cynical and sneering. "Haha we're taking the piss but you're just reacting like a normal human being would, ha ha idiot" Hmm.

I think you would still like NFY. First off it's not mean spirited, and second off he rarely bothers people working or random people in the public. Much of the comedy comes from the lengths people will go to specifically to be on camera.

It's more about intelligently satirizing the media and various aspects of society than a "prank" show.

Suki Bapswent

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on August 01, 2019, 01:48:20 PM
I think you would still like NFY. First off it's not mean spirited, and second off he rarely bothers people working or random people in the public. Much of the comedy comes from the lengths people will go to specifically to be on camera.

And the joke usually ends up on him, whereas you mostly like the people he's 'duping'.

colacentral

Nathan for You is really not a "prank" show for the most part. It's hard to explain exactly what it is but I would say it's more like improv comedy where most of the performers are unaware that that's what they're doing.

Take the gas station rebate episode - I guess the "prank" is seeing what sort of maniac climbs a mountain for a rebate / will do that to appear on TV. But the rest of it - sitting around a campfire, singing songs etc - is incidental to that.

Everyone in the show is aware that they're in it. It's not the same as say Wonder Showzen's Clarence or Tom Green approaching people in the street, or even Brasseye which involved much more duplicity and was explicitly about making people look stupid.

Really, most of the humour of NfY for me comes from how elaborate the set ups are. Yes, let's get someone to rent a tuxedo and face down an alligator to get a cheap TV, makes perfect sense. The participant's reaction is secondary.

Noodle Lizard

I agree, NFY seems pretty ethical compared to any other "prank" show.  More along the lines of Ali G or something.

I think most of the "odd people" stuff in NFY is incidental - some people simply are odd - and they're almost certainly aware that they're taking part in a comedy show rather than genuinely hoping for someone to fix their business (I imagine the exposure is attractive nevertheless).  Some people I know do find it cruel or exploitive, though, so it takes all sorts.

BritishHobo

I think the reason I like it is the same reason I wound up enjoying Impractical Jokers, against my expectations - it's less about pranking and humiliating other people than it is the host making himself look like an idiot. He's the one losing face, not them

Chollis

Up to the Tom Cruise death episode

Dr San "so many needles"
Tim "just a bummer"

Tikwid

Quote from: Chollis on August 06, 2019, 05:15:26 PM

Dr San "so many needles"
Tim "just a bummer"
Went foraging for all the erbs out in Tim's garden

Chollis

if I could give one message to the world from my grave, it would be don't vaccinate, it's so dangerous and deadly

Puce Moment

Quote from: Chollis on August 06, 2019, 05:15:26 PM

Dr San "so many needles"
Tim "just a bummer"

You have to admire the utterly bad taste of that episode. Brilliant.

Cuellar

Yeah, it was definitely a turning point in my appreciation of the show.

PowerButchi

The controversy over hot dogs which has been on twitter the past couple of days is a five bagger.

QDRPHNC

"This is sarcasm of the highest order."

Fuck, the trial is amazing.

QDRPHNC

Dusty Substance

A year old, so it may have already been posted on this thread, but this interview with out of character Tim is pretty interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpxirs9L8Cw

garbed_attic

I really enjoyed that one, mostly for Gregg's gaslighting of poor damaged Mark and his thinking that his providing audio commentaries on films in the public domain and releasing them on VHS is "producing".

chveik

fair play that was a good one (except for the gun stuff obviously)

he's so happy right now. poor Mark :(

PeasOnSticks

Gregg's video commentary was lovely ('the Joe Estevez of the 1930s'), and Mark's presence just elevates the whole thing. Tim's gun shite was tedious, though.

garbed_attic

I wish Tim had the same discipline of the imagination as he clearly does when it comes to his work ethic! (admittedly you probably wouldn't have had the wilder aspects of Tim & Eric without his scattergun approach, of course)

I kind of feel like he's internalised all the damn think pieces about how 'On Cinema' is Trump satire.