Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:46:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chollis

Is there anywhere else apart from the Adult Swim website to watch these? Doesn't work on my phone and they're not up on the Youtube til a week later. Wanna watch on my lunch break :(

QDRPHNC

I'm enjoying Tim's gun shite. What are the odds he'll actually shoot someone before the season is through?

chveik

McChesney Duntz

Here's a pretty good piece, bolstered by Gregg's participation: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43kpeq/mister-america-is-trumps-most-scathing-satire-without-even-mentioning-his-name

There's something interesting going on here: as with The Day Shall Come, Mister America is mostly worthy because of the texts and chats abetting it, rather than as a stand-alone piece of work.

Noodle Lizard

"Mister America Is Trump's Most Scathing Satire Without Even Mentioning His Name"

is it fuck.

McChesney Duntz

Maybe not. But I do agree with the article's contention that the most effective satire of the Trumpian milieu we're mired in would be something without the lumpy, too-grotesque-to-be-funny spectre of Dumbfuck l'Orange anywhere in view.

QDRPHNC

momatt

Have I missed something?  Why is Gregg so edgy about Mark's hospital treatment?

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 31, 2019, 08:13:22 PM
Tim's frivolous gun use is causing me anxiety.
I know!  Someone's gonna get shot by accident surely?  Like Alan Partridge, but with more righteous anger.

Petey Pate

Quote from: momatt on November 01, 2019, 02:34:43 PM
Have I missed something?  Why is Gregg so edgy about Mark's hospital treatment?

It's been implied that Gregg used medicare funds intended for Mark to purchase VHS tapes.

This season has been a little aimless so far, though I did like how this week Tim and Gregg both showed commercials for their respective companies.

momatt

Quote from: Petey Pate on November 01, 2019, 02:42:48 PM
It's been implied that Gregg used medicare funds intended for Mark to purchase VHS tapes.

Oh, I completely missed that, thanks!

Well I'm glad the VFA is still expanding anyway.

BlodwynPig

Season 2 episode 3 with joe estevez appearing (for the first time, so i read) was superb. Going to watch Toad Warrior now. Although Tim inadvertently listed Frog Warrior as a different film, when in fact it was the original Toad Warrior title

PeasOnSticks

New episode not up to much. For the first time, I'm beginning to think the show might have run its course - the format feels tired. Still plenty of mileage in the characters, though, but it's all a bit lazy and uninspired at the moment.

Petey Pate

I like how Tim's music is nothing but rehashing Empty Bottle over and over again, yet it is possibly analogous to how the creators themselves are running out of ideas.

ajsmith2

Disappointed how they've not explored the 'Gregg exploiting Mark' angle yet like I thought they would earlier in the season. That would have been more fertile ground I think. Instead we get more of Tim's latest scattershot whims (from gun obsession to now reviving Dekkar with an 'urban' twist inside a few episodes). I don't like it these days when Tim goes back to parodying the obsessions of right wing nutters as the insanity and popularity of those people in real life long ago surpassed what the character is capable of parodying. It worked in the context of the early episodes but now (unfortunately) that stuff's in the mainstream discourse it seems redundant and toothless. Tim's stronger these days when he's being his own very personal kind of arsehole, as best shown in The Trial (still not been able to see Mr America so I can't comment on where where it fits in). 

That said, I must admit I did enjoy Axiom and Manuel's uncomfortable reaction to the new guy that Tim had imposed on the band.

BlodwynPig

I'm still only 3/4 through the first Oscars special...shame I can't join in the convo here

selectivememory

Enjoying Gregg's VFA Classics thing, and his misunderstanding over the public domain status of all the A Star is Born films this week was pretty funny. Also, "Produced by Gregg Turkington" appearing on the boxes. Very good.

PeasOnSticks

Quote from: ajsmith2 on November 08, 2019, 09:47:59 AM
Disappointed how they've not explored the 'Gregg exploiting Mark' angle yet like I thought they would earlier in the season. That would have been more fertile ground I think. Instead we get more of Tim's latest scattershot whims (from gun obsession to now reviving Dekkar with an 'urban' twist inside a few episodes). I don't like it these days when Tim goes back to parodying the obsessions of right wing nutters as the insanity and popularity of those people in real life long ago surpassed what the character is capable of parodying. It worked in the context of the early episodes but now (unfortunately) that stuff's in the mainstream discourse it seems redundant and toothless.

Yeah, the Gregg/Mark 'scandal' would definitely have been more fertile ground. Not only the Medicare funds abuse, but also the abuse of Mark himself - the whole 'living Oscar' thing, in particular. Also agree that right-wing nutters are soft targets - it actually comes across as a bit self-satisfied/preaching to the choir. As Tim has got more explicit with this stuff, OC has paradoxically lost a bit of its edge, and a lot of its subtlety.

The idea of the endless re-hashing of 'Empty Bottle' is funny, but did we really need to see the whole video? Something like Gregg's VFA boxed set being on sale for $100 - established in one line, in a matter of seconds, but leaving a lot to the imagination - works better.

garbed_attic

IDK I'd quite happily watch a whole VFA Classic with Gregg's asinine commentary through the whole thing!

Petey Pate

Liked it this week despite the lack of Gregg. The idea of filming an episode of a movie review show with just two people discussing the financial health of a company is pretty amusing in itself. I find the weird dynamic between Toni and Tim (does he not realise that she loves him?) quite entertaining too.

Still a bit disappointed that the Mark subplot hasn't really been expanded on.

weaseldust

Quote from: Petey Pate on November 14, 2019, 01:24:04 PM
Liked it this week despite the lack of Gregg. The idea of filming an episode of a movie review show with just two people discussing the financial health of a company is pretty amusing in itself. I find the weird dynamic between Toni and Tim (does he not realise that she loves him?) quite entertaining too.

Still a bit disappointed that the Mark subplot hasn't really been expanded on.

i'm also intrigued by tim and toni's strange relationship - i think tim knows she's in love with him. i noticed that at one point in mister america, tim is on the phone to toni and he signs off with 'love you too'.

it would be good if all the subplots converged in the final two episodes somehow (moneyzap, guns, mark, vfa...)

littlefoot

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 08, 2019, 10:05:57 AM
I'm still only 3/4 through the first Oscars special...shame I can't join in the convo here

And yet, here you are.

PeasOnSticks

Really good episode this week, beautifully played. Pity that things are picking up just as the series is about to end, though.

garbed_attic

Things didn't dovetail quite as elegantly as they might have done, but this was still pretty great. I admired Tim's heroic second attempt, but the old "ball and chain" wasn't having it. Better luck next time Tim! And poor Greg :(

PowerButchi

garbed_attic

He's happier that way I think (and probably safer from Tim!)

Petey Pate

Big laugh at Gregg's 'you want to go see one of these films tonight?' at the end.

PeasOnSticks

Yeah, good stuff, but a pity there wasn't more of the Gregg/Mark angle through the series. Now with the second coma, the stage could be set for a fuller investigation of Medicare fraud/intellectual property theft/Mark abuse. It's not looking good for poor Gregg.

PowerButchi

It was a shit season tbf, but there's a lot of questions going forward. Mainly Axia and Mark.

The whole season meandered and got nowhere near a pay off for anything. Other than the VFA legally selling films if was all over the shop.

A good Oscer Special is needed.