Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:59:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Chollis on June 30, 2020, 07:34:37 PM
is there a season 13 in the works?

No idea, but Gregg on Twitter seems confident he's hosting the Oscars this year. He's also trying to talking Adult Swim into doing a Tripp Spencer cartoon.

Edit... oh, July 3rd, AS actually is debuting a Decker cartoon after a 4 hour Decker marathon? Hard to tell what's real and what's not sometimes.

Retinend

trabuch

I'm pretty sure the Tripp Spencer cartoon will happen.
Maybe not

"I have thousands of letters and email from everyone who wanted to see Tripp Spencer for years. @TimHedieer has stopped it out of jealousy that Tripp has such a strong following that he never had with the Dekkar guys who have zero charisma."

But probably yes.

(It's worth unfollowing everyone But TIM AND GREGG ON TWITTER)

weaseldust

everybody stop calling it a tripp spencer cartoon, it's a decker cartoon!!! this thread is swarming with trippheads. tripp will be a miner charactor

Retinend

Retinend

Tim: "I'm not fucking around, I'm on the 64th floor and there's a window here..."
Gregg: "Well jump. Moonlight won best supporting actress." :Hangs up:

(I just caught up on everything and that moment made me almost die laughing.)

Dusty Substance

Quote from: selectivememory on July 03, 2020, 11:05:16 PM
Trailer for the new Tripp Spencer cartoon which premieres tonight.

Absolutely astonishing how vast this universe has expanded. To think it all started when Tim and Gregg were bored during the making of The Comedy.

Ferris

Ferris

QDRPHNC

He was Jack's best and closest friend :( Lanoi Arnold.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 07, 2020, 09:31:20 PM
He was Jack's best and closest friend :( Lanoi Arnold.

He did what he had to do to get money for reservations renovations to the bar.

Business is booming!

BritishHobo

Did the Tripp Spencer cartoon actually air then, or was it another false start, because the arrogant Tim just can't bear to let some of the more successful Decker characters get some limelight?

BritishHobo

More seriously, I'm watching this year's Oscar special for the first time without being distracted by the Oscars themselves. Ah god the stupid little details. Gregg's pure pleased-with-himself smile after honking his car horn and saying 'the Joker strikes again!' like he's just robbed a bank, or the delayed confusion on a pissed-up Tim's face when the Dudley Moore impersonator responds to Tim's furious outburst by inexplicably saying 'you certainly look very beige!'

Retinend

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 07, 2020, 07:10:15 PM
Did the Tripp Spencer cartoon actually air then, or was it another false start, because the arrogant Tim just can't bear to let some of the more successful Decker characters get some limelight?

It aired. You can watch it on Adult Swim if you have a VPN.

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/decker/the-animated-adventures-of-jack-decker-pilot

garbed_attic

I think it's a shame they haven't done any lock-down content (the jokes for both characters write themselves really) but I'm sure they have their reasons! Tim's doing lots of 'Office Hours', which is probably easier to do while social distancing.

Still, there haven't been Patreon rewards in months!

Bazooka

Tim's released another album, I know many will like his stuff, but I find his music projects as dull as dish water.

MrMrs

Quote from: MrMrs on August 09, 2020, 11:04:23 PM
It's pretty good but office hours needs to go

Incorrect. Everything else needs to go and Office Hours needs to take over for Ellen.

Retinend

Quote from: Bazooka on August 08, 2020, 08:59:32 PM
Tim's released another album, I know many will like his stuff, but I find his music projects as dull as dish water.

What about "Yellow River Boys"?! Warm yellow dishwater, maybe, but far from dull.

Quote from: MrMrs on August 09, 2020, 11:04:23 PM
It's pretty good but office hours needs to go

To the extent that it distracts from OC I have to agree... it's fine and everything but it's only as good as a call-in show can be.

Has it occurred to anyone else that Tim on Office Hours is a bit like his fictional persona in OC: an extravert who surrounds himself with introverts and rules over them according to his slightest whims?

My gripes aside, I became a patreon of Office Hours for the sake of the Please Please Let it Be (Beatles) podcast and it hasn't disappointed at all. I highly recommend it to Beatlesheads. However now that it is over I will have to reconsider my subscription...

PeasOnSticks

Quote from: Retinend on August 10, 2020, 02:02:54 PM

Has it occurred to anyone else that Tim on Office Hours is a bit like his fictional persona in OC: an extravert who surrounds himself with introverts and rules over them according to his slightest whims?

Yes, it's not all that hard to see it that way. I think Tim's even admitted that OC is a place for him to channel some of the worse excesses of his own personality (not a direct quote, but I think he said something to that effect).  In any case, it seems he wants to be as visible as possible these days, and is becoming almost too ubiquitous a presence online.  Gregg's more enigmatic, less-is-more approach is preferable (to me at least), and seems to result in a more consistent level of high quality work.

Office Hours is just a bit irritating and clubbily self-satisfied, and feels more like a vanity project than most of Tim's other stuff. He's not a good interviewer, either, and when he's had QAnon types on the show, for example, he's struggled to formulate coherent arguments or to wring anything particularly meaningful from the exchange. It's a bit like some of the crusading he does on Twitter (when he's not too busy self-promoting): comes across a little half-baked and preaching-to-the-choir.

QDRPHNC

You've articulated very well why I'm not so keen on Office Hours.

Although I think the more-is-more approach just seems to be Tim's style. He gets an idea in his head and just does it, like the Cooking with Tim show. I admire that approach, even if it does results a lower signal to noise ratio.

You're all embarrassingly wrong about Office Hours, which I greatly prefer to the last few years of On Cinema, but setting that aside there was an earlier period of the show where Tim's persona did frequently verge into being On Cinema Tim. Either he was very subtly playing that up on purpose, or it was caused by his constant frustration with the tech issues they were having, but the new incarnation of the show is much different. Worth giving another chance.

PeasOnSticks

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on August 10, 2020, 03:51:35 PM
You're all embarrassingly wrong about Office Hours, which I greatly prefer to the last few years of On Cinema, but setting that aside there was an earlier period of the show where Tim's persona did frequently verge into being On Cinema Tim. Either he was very subtly playing that up on purpose, or it was caused by his constant frustration with the tech issues they were having, but the new incarnation of the show is much different. Worth giving another chance.

I'd agree that On Cinema hasn't really hit the spot for a while, but season 9 (or the latter part of it, at least) was brilliant stuff.

QDRPHNC - yeah, I think Tim's try-everything approach definitely turns up some great stuff, but I prefer Tim in-character to 'real' Tim. The vanity and self-promotion is very funny when viewed through the prism of a character, but without that prism it's...well, just plain old vanity and self-promotion.

When Gregg went on Office Hours as Neil Hamburger, it was a welcome little injection of comic class into the proceedings.

Duckula

Quote from: PeasOnSticks on August 10, 2020, 10:05:16 PM
When Gregg went on Office Hours as Neil Hamburger, it was a welcome little injection of comic class into the proceedings.

Is there a link to just this bit?

Retinend

I feel I should balance things out by saying that - though Office Hours is a mixed bag - I admire Heidecker as a personality: he is tactful when people are shy and he is bold when people are arseholes. In argument, he doesn't pretend to be the best read on every topic, but will stand up for what he knows based on solid principles; principles of treating people right. In politics, he has always stood up for the side of decency and respect but without forgetting that his own republican parents are decent, sensible people. He is also, of course, just a very funny man - perhaps the greatest alternative comedian of his generation. He's also very passionate about classic rock, and his whole attitude that goes with that is "what are you all about? This is what I'm all about", which is very refreshing in a world where people pretend to like things all the time, and people are afraid to like what is not cool. Tim is cool.