Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:33:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colacentral

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on October 02, 2020, 06:33:37 PM
https://twitter.com/ChangeTheRef/status/1312024331225051136

Life imitating Adult Swim.

Fucking hell. Is that Aaron Paul under the CGI mask?

They should have got the father to do another take, having told everyone to be wary of "gun hands."

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on October 02, 2020, 06:33:37 PM
https://twitter.com/ChangeTheRef/status/1312024331225051136

Life imitating Adult Swim.

I don't see any anti-gun politicians on the ticket to vote for...what a waste of a powerful message.

QDRPHNC

While working this week, I've had the OC Oscar Specials on the background. In the 4th one, there's a little moment near the end where James Dean looks like he's either going to break down crying or actually come at Tim with the pool cue. You can see Joe Estevez give Tim a little out-of-character raise of the eyebrows. Axiom looks a little freaked out. And the living painting models don't flinch. Absolute pros.

Just something I noticed. You could fill pages with these kinds of observations of the OCOS. They really are some of the best comedy ever made, in large part I think because of how they ride the line between fiction and reality.

BlodwynPig

QDRPHNC

Seen them a million times, they're great to have on in the background. Even half-watching, I keep finding new things.

famethrowa

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 10, 2020, 02:05:52 PM

Just something I noticed. You could fill pages with these kinds of observations of the OCOS. They really are some of the best comedy ever made, in large part I think because of how they ride the line between fiction and reality.

Agreed, there's this total unknown of whether everything is planned, or it just happens randomly. And they never go too serious or too zany. Top comedians making great shows. Like Gregg's segments from the Kodak Theatre. Why is is so funny? It's just badly edited clips with a repetitive library music backing. But it's hilarious.

Retinend

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 10, 2020, 02:05:52 PM
While working this week, I've had the OC Oscar Specials on the background. In the 4th one, there's a little moment near the end where James Dean looks like he's either going to break down crying or actually come at Tim with the pool cue. You can see Joe Estevez give Tim a little out-of-character raise of the eyebrows. Axiom looks a little freaked out. And the living painting models don't flinch. Absolute pros.

Loved that moment. "Jackass!"

What actually is the deal with the actor playing "James Dean"? Does he actually think he is James Dean? He seems totally genuine - a bit of a Liebe Hart.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Retinend on November 11, 2020, 08:52:54 AM
Loved that moment. "Jackass!"

What actually is the deal with the actor playing "James Dean"? Does he actually think he is James Dean? He seems totally genuine - a bit of a Liebe Hart.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure about him. At the end of his first appearance in the third special, I think, Tim's yelling at him and he seems genuinely frightened and confused. Obviously he's in on it to some extent as he kept returning, but his reactions there were too real for me to think he was purely acting.

Retinend

Re: the discussion of what makes OC so funny: I have a "deleted scene" from my documentary about OC, Tim & Eric and Office Hours - by the way many thanks to QDRPHNC and Noodle Lizard both for their valuable input pre-release - [nb]thread: "I Am A Cuck"[/nb] in which Tim, in a rare instance, actually talks shop about his comedy and - perhaps surprisingly - he holds Steve Martin up as a hero of his.

LISTEN: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17HWc1YK8dxe3z50VsbKtwzImN8gDvRic/view?usp=sharing (Office Hours 27.05.2016)

In short, Tim is faced with a caller who is trying to stir things up by reporting that Norm MacDonald said that "anti-comedy" was shit and disingenuous. Tim says that he respects MacDonald and that he has never had the desire to be part of an scene called the "anti-comedy movement" or whatever. He prefers to think of himself as doing what Steve Martin did: to get audiences to the place where they feel like they are sharing a funny moment with their best friend, and the ideas are bouncing around, and everyone is laughing at variations on the thing, and eventually one you just says: "what the hell are we even laughing about?"

I think OC is all about the observations of foolishness and silliness that are funny in real life: I was watching that new Comedy Central show "Corporate" and it's all so slick and the jokes are "observational" only in a very stylized way. OC is totally unvarnished by comparison, and the Oscar specials above all else.

QDRPHNC

Part of it is the tension, that even though it's somewhat scripted, it's also live, and with performers who are part of a comedy show (ie. James Dean, the Rat Pack), but who are also being employed to do their usual schtick in the middle of all this. It's the possibility that all this is going to get away from Tim and Gregg that makes it compelling.

Reminds me a of the Jack White ethos, creating tension to stimulate the music. I read an interview with him where he said that if he needs to change guitars during a set and he gets too used to where the other guitar is, next show he'll move it further away, so he has to walk a little faster or work a little harder, and the constant breaking of routine creates more moments for the performance to flourish.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 11, 2020, 09:05:23 AM
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure about him. At the end of his first appearance in the third special, I think, Tim's yelling at him and he seems genuinely frightened and confused. Obviously he's in on it to some extent as he kept returning, but his reactions there were too real for me to think he was purely acting.

In the out of character Q&A Tim and Gregg did in London a few years ago, they said that 'James Dean' was genuinely taken aback by Tim's aggression. He is totally in on the joke, but he didn't realise how far Tim was going to go.

They also mentioned that during the 4th Oscar Special he was walking around looking baffled at the whole thing, and said 'this is the last one of these I'm doing'.

QDRPHNC

For anyone not a member of the OC Patreon, Tim sent quite a terse message last week apologizing for the of 2020 updates because SOMEONE dropped the ball.

Today, Justin Gaynor (author of the OC Timeline) sent out a message saying he was now helping with the Patreon and that there will be a new season in 2021.

There is also a new video, a behind the scenes making of type thing of the 5th Oscar Special, but I haven't watched it yet. But apparently it's a properly-edited, properly-made thing, so looking forward to it.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 09, 2020, 10:19:57 PM
For anyone not a member of the OC Patreon, Tim sent quite a terse message last week apologizing for the of 2020 updates because SOMEONE dropped the ball.

Seems like a bit of a waste of money?

QDRPHNC

Personally, I don't expect anything in particular from any of the people I give money to on Patreon, just see it as payment for the enjoyment I get.

Retinend

Did the numbers of monthly subscribers drop to near zero, or are there still a lot of generous people like you?

QDRPHNC

They are currently raking in $2369 per month. 335 patrons. You think it'd be higher.

Oh, and the Making of OCOS thing was only 10 minutes, but it was pretty good. Weird seeing everyone out of character in the Oscar Special setting.

It's all kicking off on Twitter now. Axiom is the new Mister Movies and Gregg is nonplussed.

Petey Pate

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 11, 2020, 04:54:26 PM
They are currently raking in $2369 per month. 335 patrons. You think it'd be higher.

Oh, and the Making of OCOS thing was only 10 minutes, but it was pretty good. Weird seeing everyone out of character in the Oscar Special setting.

Is this available for patrons only? Which tier do you need to be to access it?

QDRPHNC

I'm on the lowest tier, which is $5 per month. It's pretty good, I signed up as a Gregghead and they send some nice VFA merch. Seem to have access to all the stuff they put up.

And yes, in Justin's first message he requested that nobody share the video outside of Patreon, as they really need to drive some new sign-ups. So as much as I'd love to post it here, I'd feel like a dick.

Edit: Although I will say the strangest part is when they talk to production designer Ayaka Ohwaki about putting the Jaws set together.

Edit: Found my old post showing the merch.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 27, 2019, 01:07:34 PM
I donated to the Oscar Special fundraising thing last month and thought no more about it, until arriving home yesterday evening to find a package all the way from sunny California in the mailbox.

I assume if I had said that I was a Timhead, I'd have got some DKR branded stuff, but the VFA logo is way, way cooler. The highlight of the GreggHead certificate:

QDRPHNC

QDRPHNC

The point of contention, as I understand it, is that Gregg is claiming he hacked the Hei Network Godaddy account and put Minions on Tim's website.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 16, 2020, 12:46:05 PM
The point of contention, as I understand it, is that Gregg is claiming he hacked the Hei Network Godaddy account and put Minions on Tim's website.

Slander! Gregg is totally innocent. It seems webmaster Chris is the one who stole the GoDaddy password and began placing an excessive number of Minions on the Hei Network homepage.

*Edit* Sorry, breaking news from the Hei Network:

QuoteAn internal investigation concluded Sunday evening and has determined that The Hei Network server had been hacked by unknown agents where additional Minion Cartoon characters have been added to the website. Icons were changed and pop up ads for minions were inserted before you could access certain pages. The site is now personally under review by Hei CEO Tim Heidecker who hopes to shore the site's security measures up "It was very concerning to see how these hackers breached our servers and disrespectfully added Minions to the site without our permission" Webmaster Matt Newman, who initially built the site with his associate Chris had failed to install proper security matters and their future involvement with the site's management is under review.

Minions are small, yellow creatures who have existed since the beginning of time, evolving from yellow single-celled organisms into beings which exist only to serve history's most evil masters.[7] After rolling a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrannosaurus into a volcano, getting their caveman leader eaten by a cave bear, crushing a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharaoh under a pyramid after constructing it upside-down, exposing Count Dracula to sunlight, and accidentally firing a cannon into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon while in Russia, the Minions are driven into isolation and start a new life in a massive cave. After many years, the Minions become depressed and unmotivated without a master to serve. To regain their dignity and sense of purpose, Kevin decides to set out to find a new master and asks for help, and recruits Stuart and Bob.

Stonefish