Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:16:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 01, 2021, 01:37:15 PM
Also, Tim jokingly outed Gregg as a Trump supporter, which visibly annoyed Gregg.

Are we talking real-life friction, here? or "in-universe" friction?

I am guessing that you mean that Tim joked about Gregg being a Trump supporter, which was, in spite of it being a joke, irritating for Gregg.

...not that Gregg is really a Trump supporter and didn't want this to be known.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Petey Pate on January 31, 2021, 11:00:21 PM
Main takeaway from the Q&A is that Adult Swim is no longer producing On Cinema - but they're planning for it to return to a different platform, albeit one that fans might have to pay for.

It's always surprised me how little AdultSwim supports On Cinema. It's dirt-cheap to produce (unless Tim and/or Gregg are trying to command high salaries), seems to require very little direct involvement from the network and probably has their most actively engaged fanbase this side of Rick & Morty. I'm sure they have their reasons.

I think it'd do fine on a direct-to-fan basis, but I would like Turkington to have more creative control than he's been exerting lately since I generally prefer his sensibilities. Perhaps that's more viable once they're not answering to AdultSwim?

PeasOnSticks

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 01, 2021, 08:05:22 PM
I think it'd do fine on a direct-to-fan basis, but I would like Turkington to have more creative control than he's been exerting lately since I generally prefer his sensibilities. Perhaps that's more viable once they're not answering to AdultSwim?

I suspect it might be more down to Tim being the more forceful/motivated personality of the two. But I'd also love to see Gregg have more of a creative hand in future episodes.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: PeasOnSticks on February 01, 2021, 09:30:08 PM
I suspect it might be more down to Tim being the more forceful/motivated personality of the two. But I'd also love to see Gregg have more of a creative hand in future episodes.

It could be that as well, but Turkington has very little professional relations with AS outside of OC whereas Heidecker is (or was, anyway) one of their golden boys, so it'd make sense that he was the one handling that side of things and coming back with notes.

Of course I have no idea what the inner workings of OC's relationship with the network were, but Heidecker definitely intimated a few times that they were only able to keep doing OC if they promised AS they'd simultaneously provide something more straightforward like Decker or Mister America. Just based on Turkington's previous career output, I can't imagine that was his idea.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Retinend on February 01, 2021, 02:21:35 PM
Are we talking real-life friction, here? or "in-universe" friction?

I am guessing that you mean that Tim joked about Gregg being a Trump supporter, which was, in spite of it being a joke, irritating for Gregg.

...not that Gregg is really a Trump supporter and didn't want this to be known.

The entire Q&A was out of character - they were even annoyed by the in-universe joke questions. The former is what happened. There is no way that Gregg is really a Trump supporter.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 01, 2021, 08:05:22 PM
It's always surprised me how little AdultSwim supports On Cinema. It's dirt-cheap to produce (unless Tim and/or Gregg are trying to command high salaries), seems to require very little direct involvement from the network and probably has their most actively engaged fanbase this side of Rick & Morty. I'm sure they have their reasons.

According to Tim, while On Cinema was cheaper to produce than any TV show, it was grouped under Adult Swim's 'online/streaming' content and was more expensive to make than anything else in this category (most of which are just people in front of a greenscreen or playing video games). If memory serves, he also implied that certain people at the network who were supportive and 'got' the show were no longer working there.

One other point from the Q&A that we missed - Gregg will be appearing in a unspecified non-On Cinema project that will be filmed this year.

Adult Swim had huge cutbacks generally, and the entirety of their streaming division was laid off in November, due to the monstrous cross-collateralisation of all AT&T's media companies. They tried to start a Netflix from scratch, that was more expensive than any other US streaming service, and are firing huge quantities of people every quarter to make up for it not immediately becoming bigger than Netflix. Probably not so much "Adult Swim," the noted thinking entity with a consciousness, having any opinion at all about On Cinema, as the arm of the company that made it simply not existing any more. They shut down the entire video games division, and cancelled Venture Brothers mid-season, too.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Poison To The Mind on February 03, 2021, 09:07:07 AM
Adult Swim had huge cutbacks generally, and the entirety of their streaming division was laid off in November, due to the monstrous cross-collateralisation of all AT&T's media companies. They tried to start a Netflix from scratch, that was more expensive than any other US streaming service, and are firing huge quantities of people every quarter to make up for it not immediately becoming bigger than Netflix. Probably not so much "Adult Swim," the noted thinking entity with a consciousness, having any opinion at all about On Cinema, as the arm of the company that made it simply not existing any more. They shut down the entire video games division, and cancelled Venture Brothers mid-season, too.

On the other hand, they're probably going to do quite well now that they're a featured part of HBO MAX (or Cartoon Network will anyway, not sure how much of that will be felt by AS).

Not sure that "have had massive cuts the last few quarters to make up for the vast financial flop of HBO Max" translates into "will get loads of money this quarter because of HBO Max" tbh, but obv it would be nice if the Oscar Special drove enough signups next month to turn around the company's $190B* in debt.

*illion

QDRPHNC

BlodwynPig

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 05, 2021, 12:47:20 PM
Just found this today, a nice edit of all the Decker vs. Dracula, with special features (the competing behind the scenes things).

Ha! I just turned this on "Starring... James Dean". The absurdity.

QDRPHNC

The two behind the scenes specials are some of the best stuff in the OC universe, in my opinion. Mark Proksch as Decker firing his gun in the oval office will make me laugh every time.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 05, 2021, 02:49:01 PM
The two behind the scenes specials are some of the best stuff in the OC universe, in my opinion. Mark Proksch as Decker firing his gun in the oval office will make me laugh every time.

I'd seen the Proksch as Decker before - brilliant - but not the behind the scenes directing masterclass rift. TBH, I was eager for Dracula to continue. The rain inside the White House was a teaser for great things to come.

Petey Pate

For $50 you can get a personalised message from Axiom, Manuel or Joe Estevez. Gregg is slightly more pricey at $60.

https://www.oncinemastore.com/

QDRPHNC

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 05, 2021, 03:57:30 PM
I'd seen the Proksch as Decker before - brilliant - but not the behind the scenes directing masterclass rift. TBH, I was eager for Dracula to continue. The rain inside the White House was a teaser for great things to come.

So many details as well in the show proper. Tim hushing Joe Estevez. And you can see the exact moment Tim realizes he has to agree to work with the Taliban.

Chollis

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 05, 2021, 02:49:01 PM
Mark Proksch as Decker firing his gun in the oval office will make me laugh every time.

hahaha yeah.

Gregg "i'd like to thank you all now for your support, i've got thousands if not millions of cards, emails and messages from movie buffs"

garbed_attic

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 05, 2021, 04:59:29 PM
For $50 you can get a personalised message from Axiom, Manuel or Joe Estevez. Gregg is slightly more pricey at $60.

I can't get the cart to work. Valentine's Day present.

BlodwynPig

I've paid Gregg to review my Minotaur 4 (Mino4) film from 2016.

Bazooka

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 05, 2021, 12:47:20 PM
Just found this today, a nice edit of all the Decker vs. Dracula, with special features (the competing behind the scenes things).

Great thank, I've seen it multiple times but nice to have it in one. 18 minutes 10secs the whole thing is worth it for Davidson in the plane cockpit.

ajsmith2

Loved Mr America, but (and this was probably said a lot on here when it came out) it would make little sense as a standalone thing and I'm not surprised it got mixed to poor reviews from the non OC fanbase when taken as such. It's not really a meaningful comment on anything wider like Trumpian politics so much as a Tim character piece and a keystone segment of the OC continuity (the Toni character makes a lot more sense now.. didn't realise before she was on the jury in The Trial and was the key dissenting voice that got Tim off.

Ferris

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 05, 2021, 04:59:29 PM

The VFA tshirts are also excellent, but I worry people would take it as an invitation to try and stump me as I went about my business.

QDRPHNC

QuoteOn Cinema Patreon Update / Next Steps
Hello On Cinema Family!

As plans for the future of On Cinema start to take shape, I wanted to reach out with an important update about our Patreon. February was the final month of billing for this account, so there will be no March billing and the account will be archived before April 1st.

I mentioned in December that we have big plans for On Cinema and that we will need the help of the incredible On Cinema community to help fund the show moving forward — this remains the case. So why are we moving away from Patreon? As we narrow in on how we want future episodes of the show to be distributed and what different mediums the show may expand into we realized that a more custom platform might be beneficial. So...we're hard at work building a NEW home for On Cinema at the Cinema.

We appreciate your support more than we can express and we don't want to keep charging Patreon members each month while our time and attention are focused on new content and new ideas. We have our eyes set on a 2021 Oscar Special and Season 12 later this year. If you want to stay in touch and continue to support us between now and then, you can do so in the following ways:

SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAIL LIST: Don't tell anyone this secret, but the newsletter sign-up forms on https://heinetwork.tv and https://vfa.expert will both add you to the same e-mail list, and we will use this list to communicate with everyone once the Patreon is closed.

SHOP AT THE NEW ON CINEMA STORE: We recently launched a new online store which features classic some classic VFA restocks, new HEI Network merch, and a new On Cinema coffee mug. Not only that, but you can also order Cameo-style personalized video messages from Gregg, Joe, Axiom or Manuel! All proceeds will go towards funding future On Cinema content. Check it out: https://oncinemastore.com

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER: We've started an official On Cinema Twitter account over at https://twitter.com/OCATCOfficial. Following this account is a great way to keep up with the latest news AND meet and interact with other members of this great community.

I hope you're looking forward to everything the comes next as much as we are, and thank you again for your continued support.

- Justin

veletision

On Cinema Oscar Special and Season 12 going to subscription on their site. I don't mind giving them a few quid for all the joy.

https://heinetwork.tv/tickets/

Worked out at 42 dollars for the rest of the year.

Petey Pate

YouTube announcement too.

https://youtu.be/HXuoMB3FhpA

I would subscribe but how can I ensure that none of my money goes to Gregg??

Chollis

Really interested to hear some of Joe's stock tips

BritishHobo

Yeah I've paid fuck-all towards On Cinema and I've gotten an insane amount of value, so I'm pretty happy to pay in for future stuff. Last year was my first time watching the Oscars special alongside the Oscars, and I can't wait to do it again.

BlodwynPig

nice birthday treat. I assume reminders will be sent so I don't waste my money like I did last time?

Ornlu

I'm happy to bung a tenner (in dollars, whatever) to watch the new Oscar Special. But an annual subscription of $55 being the absolute minimum to watch Season 12? Am I getting that right?