Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:31:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ornlu

Quote from: weaseldust on April 26, 2021, 12:18:48 PM
speaking of which did anyone else notice how vft (or vmt as it's also known apparently) is literally 'movie time'?

Gregg is a true visonary.

I've also tried to view both at the same time, but it's looking like the HEI player will only play one of the streams at any given moment.

Looks like the Youtube stream of Gregg's special is no longer up. I'm not watching them in alternate increments, so I'm just gonna barrel ahead with Tim's.

weaseldust

use two devices and assign gregg to the lesser device (tv and laptop/phone/ipad)

Ornlu

Oh k cool. I was using two screens with a HD cable but that makes sense instead. On Cinema on Technology.

I will say though the extra Gregg mutterings so far are definitely an added highlight. Did he really just say
Spoiler alert
"go die, Matt"?? Jesus Gregg. The man's at his limit.
[close]

BritishHobo

Gregg at the end of the special is
Spoiler alert
surely the angriest we've ever seen him. Proper losing it.
[close]

Appreciating them a lot more this morning, now I'm not so knackered. They delivered a pretty neat set-up, with the two streams. If that backup On Cinema stream hadn't undermined their whole tickets-only thing, I think the idea of there being a free alternate Gregg stream is really funny and clever. Also love that Gregg had actually put a lot of time and effort into his special, and was actually visiting some decent filming locations for once, only for it all to get fucked up as usual.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Did anyone else's stream drop out right at the crucial moment during the climax with Gregg at 3'40" ?  Since I couldn't 'rewind' when it was live, I've checked the site today and the stream always skips at that point. it really appears as if it's a genuine glitch rather than something intentional.

Doesn't seem to matter which browser or device I use, it always skips at the same part. I can gather what happened during that bit, but weren't we supposed to see it?

DJ Bob Hoskins

dr_christian_troy

For those who have watched the whole thing:
Spoiler alert
I felt that this year's Oscars event reset a lot of plot aspects in line for the next season - Mark found, a rift between Tim and Toni that may last (her laughing at his discomfort was kind of disturbing), Tim's general annoyance with the Dekkar members, and if I'm not mistaken a rare moment of concern and sympathy from Tim at the end when he realised he had gone too far with Gregg, to the point of saying post-"incident" that it was an accident (as in, what Gregg did was an accident). It was arguably almost moving for a split-second when Joe tried to bring them back together - always glad to see Joe. It'd make sense for them to go back to some variant of basics with the new pay-per-view arrangement (or at least, a revitalising of sorts).
[close]

chveik

you really need two devices to watch this properly? good thing i didn't buy a ticket

PeasOnSticks

[Some spoilers here:]

I thought they depended too much on the set-piece finale to give a bit more weight to the whole thing. Gregg's acting at the end was really great, though (better appreciated by watching the last 10 mins of his own stream).

Overall, though, a bit flat by OC Oscar Special standards. The HEI Network thing just isn't a strong enough idea to hang a special on, and a lot of Tim's stuff just feels like re-treading old ground now. He still produces some great moments, though - I enjoyed the song to Toni and the facial mask bit. It all still has good soap-opera value for the long-term fan, but it felt less inspired this time round. Even the ending was kind of a replay of the idea from last year: a denouement of drama and uncertainty with a pap soundtrack playing over it.

Great to see Mark but it only underlined what a loss he is to the specials. Joe Estevez excellent as ever. Gregg is still the best thing about On Cinema, for my money, and he and Tim interacting is where most of the magic is. Maybe time to tone things down a little?

weaseldust

Quote from: chveik on April 26, 2021, 04:26:32 PM
you really need two devices to watch this properly? good thing i didn't buy a ticket

well i'm kind of an obsessive diehard fan but it might not be essential for normal humans to watch both i dunno

Quote from: chveik on April 26, 2021, 04:26:32 PM

You didn't last night because Gregg's was up on YouTube, but I guess they've moved both to behind the paywall now. The main stream actually ended up being available for free too.

chveik

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on April 26, 2021, 05:34:40 PM
You didn't last night because Gregg's was up on YouTube, but I guess they've moved both to behind the paywall now. The main stream actually ended up being available for free too.

argh it had to happen the day before i had a pointless appointment to the job center!

BlodwynPig

What is that fantastic smooth funk tune during the ad break at around 34:00 mark?

MrMrs

can i go on the website and buy this without being spoilerised?

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Album is free here...for all your smoothheads

https://search.upright-music.pl/album/8cc65bea-fcac-4218-98ce-c0d964038790/nojs

edit: damn not free yet, signed up pending approval - seems only certain countries eligible.

weaseldust

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 26, 2021, 08:06:21 PM
Incredible - how did you find that...cheers weasel!

here's another banger by our good friend laszlo which might be familiar to the on cinema family...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoxEdcAf6Ms

Goldentony

Where d'you reckon the Toni stuff is going? her
Spoiler alert
reaction to Tim getting a faulty face mask thing was pretty terrifying, but then I dunno if she's just undermining Tim's false presentation of himself ala most of these right wing pundit titheads
[close]

Noodle Lizard

I haven't had a chance to catch up with this yet, only drifting in and out briefly yesterday, but I hope this little tidbit from the Wikipedia page for Mank was made use of:

QuoteFilming began on November 1, 2019, in Los Angeles. It also took place in Victorville, California

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Goldentony on April 26, 2021, 10:52:40 PM
Where d'you reckon the Toni stuff is going? her
Spoiler alert
reaction to Tim getting a faulty face mask thing was pretty terrifying, but then I dunno if she's just undermining Tim's false presentation of himself ala most of these right wing pundit titheads
[close]

I reckon
Spoiler alert
her response was pretty sadistic - in combination with the pregnancy conversation, and I reckon she's behind the Minions, I feel like they'll separate before Season 12. This whole thing felt like a reset.
[close]

BlodwynPig

A good show, shame about the ending (probably had to watch both streams). Did they miss segments - Axioms dressed as a hobo during the credits?

My favourite bit was the Pacino tribute with Richard Lewis and Tim's HEI song to Toni - and the Joe Estevez weariness, of course.

Goldentony

Trying to remember what Axiom got up to outside of the Pacino tribute and going to the wrong dog grave. The ending on the night didn't reveal much in Gregg's stream once he fucked off,
Spoiler alert
he just drove off for a few minutes, there was a point where he was having a conversation that you couldn't really hear while the camera was turned away that they'll probably edit out I imagine, but yeah he drove off looking really fucked off then it ended
[close]

BlodwynPig

Petey Pate

They've now uploaded a video which time syncs the two streams together.

The Tim's Take segment was parodying Gutfeld! wasn't it?