Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:32:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ornlu

Quote from: Petey Pate on April 29, 2021, 12:49:02 AM
The Tim's Take segment was parodying Gutfeld! wasn't it?

I thought it was more Tucker in general, but I think you're right.

new page FUCK GOD

Petey Pate

I did think this year's was the most audacious and clever things they've done since The Trial. The idea of having two separate streams was close to genius.

The incredibly inappropriate zoom call with Matt Newman had me in stitches. I also loved how for once Tim actually put some effort into doing a relevant movie related theme with Al Pacino's birthday and Gregg was being stroppy about how many roles Pacino turned down, rather than being appreciative that Tim was showing some interest in movies.

For those interested you can do a virtual tour of the mansion used for Doc Brown's house in Back to the Future here.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=AafzqMagtYm

privatefriend

Is there any way to watch the special for free?

MrMrs

imagine having the cheek to ask, but also, same. let me know if you find it anywhere

Whether it was an emergency workaround or secretly intended all along, imo making the main stream free "as live" on the day was a very kind sop to non-payers (those whose time zones allowed live viewing). Hopefully it goes up on youtube* before next year's Oscars, but it's literally more than fair that those of us who can't afford it don't get to rewatch it.

They should have kept the Gregg stream up for free though - an incoherent version of the event might even prompt ppl to buy or subscribe to get the full experience.

* (One also hopes the next On Cinema season goes on youtube on a delay, like it did from Adult Swim, and the way Patreon podcast subs often offer early-release or ad-free access. Nearly all the rest of the decade-long run of the various shows is in the same place, it'd be a shame if the archive gets fractured altogether.)

Retinend

This split-screen mode is definitely the best way to do it. I'm one hour in and the two worlds have collided - this is brilliant, how they are playing with the form. And that Tim would get Joe to act as if personally demanding that Gregg come back -just in order that he, Tim, can save face- in addition to Gregg, for his part, having to pretend not to be interested in coming back to the show, shows a real hidden love between these two: they hate that they need each other.

Retinend

That said, I am looking forward to it all inevitably falling apart again.

Goldentony

Quote from: privatefriend on April 29, 2021, 08:28:51 PM

SIMPLY PAY FOR IT ON THE NIGHT AND WAIT FOR THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE TO SHIT ITS ARSE

Retinend

Quote from: Retinend on April 30, 2021, 01:23:04 PM
That said, I am looking forward to it all inevitably falling apart again.

Well that was spectacular. I think that the red herring of the carbon monoxide was well played. I was utterly absorbed in it throughout and had no idea how it would tragically end. RIP
Spoiler alert
Roy LaRue
[close]
, we hardly knew yee.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Retinend on April 30, 2021, 09:14:07 PM
Well that was spectacular. I think that the red herring of the carbon monoxide was well played. I was utterly absorbed in it throughout and had no idea how it would tragically end. RIP
Spoiler alert
Roy LaRue
[close]
, we hardly knew yee.

Is La Rue dead? the ending on the main stream was a bit confusing

Lungpuddle

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 30, 2021, 09:27:56 PM
Is La Rue dead? the ending on the main stream was a bit confusing

What's the policy on stuff released to subscribers? There's been an announcement but I don't know how much of a dickhead I'd be for talking about it.

McChesney Duntz

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Lungpuddle on April 30, 2021, 09:32:06 PM
What's the policy on stuff released to subscribers? There's been an announcement but I don't know how much of a dickhead I'd be for talking about it.

I'm a subscriber, I guess I'll have to check it out

BlodwynPig

Oh that was glorious (the subscriber extra) - the ending music really made that special!

MrMrs

Quote from: privatefriend on April 29, 2021, 08:28:51 PM

dm me if you're still in need, I'll send my login

this was amazing, really brilliant stuff. watching gregg's stream now

thugler

Quote from: Retinend on April 30, 2021, 01:01:32 PM
This split-screen mode is definitely the best way to do it. I'm one hour in and the two worlds have collided - this is brilliant, how they are playing with the form. And that Tim would get Joe to act as if personally demanding that Gregg come back -just in order that he, Tim, can save face- in addition to Gregg, for his part, having to pretend not to be interested in coming back to the show, shows a real hidden love between these two: they hate that they need each other.

Am finally watching this now, baulked at the price a bit but couldn't resist after a while. It feels less like an outright comedy thing to me now and more like an a bizarre performance art thing with some very funny moments. The split screen thing really adds to that feeling. Impressed by Gregg staying in character the whole time.

Retinend

I retract my RIP. La Roux lives! Long live La Roux![nb]I just realized that, before, I misspelled his name as "LaRue". But in my defense the internet seems to share my confusion. I should have realized though - who is called "la rue", French for "ze road"? "la roux" means "the redhaired", plural adjectival feminine noun[/nb]

BlodwynPig

La Roux was amazing wasn't he. I suspect he has never really got to grips with Microsoft Office products.

Chollis

does anyone have issues watching Gregg's special? I bought them on the Hei website and Tim's works fine, no issues. But can't watch more than 2 mins of Gregg's without it constantly freezing, just refuses to buffer. been trying it over the course of several days now

BritishHobo

Is it eventually playing again? I had the same, and I assumed it was just the result of connection issues he had while filminh/streaming on the night.

BlodwynPig

Is it worth sitting through this again with Gregg's alongside. I didn't think it merited a rewatch but if Gregg's elevates it significantly then I will do so?

Retinend

1. the word "Gregg" into "elevate something" don't go

2. No, I don't think so. For me it was great because I had no idea what was going on at the start and I got to experience it unfolding in front of my eyes. Now you know what happens it would entail diminishing returns.

Ya blew it.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Chollis on May 01, 2021, 11:06:52 PM
does anyone have issues watching Gregg's special? I bought them on the Hei website and Tim's works fine, no issues. But can't watch more than 2 mins of Gregg's without it constantly freezing, just refuses to buffer. been trying it over the course of several days now

There's quite a lot of deliberate freezing/buffering in Gregg's feed, by design (which makes sense when you're watching the two side by side), but I'm not sure if that describes the issue you're having.

Quote from: Retinend on May 02, 2021, 02:36:07 PM
1. the word "Gregg" into "elevate something" don't go

HOW DARE YOU.

BritishHobo

I need to up my membership payment soon to the year subscription. I've been watching loads of On Cinema clips and thinking about how much I appreciate what they're doing with this universe, creating this huge, ongoing story across multiple mediums, despite how inaccessible that may make it. Marathoning this last year as a first-time viewer was a logistical nightmare, but it was also so rewarding. I hope the subscription model means they get to keep telling these characters' stories in whatever mad way they want.

Retinend

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 02, 2021, 11:06:10 PMMarathoning this last year as a first-time viewer was a logistical nightmare

Were you scheduling in regular deliveries of popcorn and soda?

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: weaseldust on May 04, 2021, 11:14:45 AM
fuckit, posting

i made an 8-bit version of the on cinema theme song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq9s44sHuKA

5 bags of popcorn and maybe throw in a Game Boy too.

pandadeath

Forgive my stupidity but where can I watch the latest Oscar special? All I can find on YouTube is a 'dress rehearsal' that I thought could well be the real thing but don't want to risk watching it before the real one if it is only a rehearsal.

Sometimes the meta narrative of the On Cinema universe can make it difficult to navigate when you step away for a while

Lungpuddle

Quote from: pandadeath on May 05, 2021, 10:25:25 PM
Forgive my stupidity but where can I watch the latest Oscar special? All I can find on YouTube is a 'dress rehearsal' that I thought could well be the real thing but don't want to risk watching it before the real one if it is only a rehearsal.

Sometimes the meta narrative of the On Cinema universe can make it difficult to navigate when you step away for a while

Unsure of ways to watch without paying, but that dress rehearsal thing was uploaded without their permission, apparently the uploader's attempt to spite them for some reason as stupid as it is petty. I advise against watching it.

pandadeath

Quote from: Lungpuddle on May 05, 2021, 10:38:29 PM
Unsure of ways to watch without paying, but that dress rehearsal thing was uploaded without their permission, apparently the uploader's attempt to spite them for some reason as stupid as it is petty. I advise against watching it.

Ah, thanks, so the Hei Inc website is the legit way to watch it then - wasn't sure if it was just a Rio Jenesis level gag. Not fussed about paying for it, I know I'll get plenty of enjoyment out of it.