Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:06:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: JCR on June 15, 2021, 08:10:15 AMSome what off topic but I got the new blu-ray of Mr Bungle: The Night They Came Home

Ooooooh! I'm having some of that! Thank you.

BlodwynPig

Billy Brown

With my finger on the pulse as ever, I finally got around to giving On Cinema a proper go recently. It's really quite good; you guys should have said so.

I'm a certified Gregghead but they are both so amazing in this. The places they've taken this apparently mundane movie review show are really quite extraordinary. The Trial is just unbelievably good, but you all know that and were loving it years ago so I'll stop frothing now.  Once I'm caught up I will be instantly subscribing to HEI Network. I feel like Tim and Gregg deserve my money for all the free entertainment I've had over the past few weeks.

I've just finished up Season X and am aware that Mister America slots into the timeline quite soon. Is there any legit way to watch it in the UK? Or indeed the latter seasons of Decker? I've had a look but am coming up blank.

And did I see that it was possible to get Cameo-style video messages recorded from Gregg, Axiom and Manuel somewhere? I can't find it so I'm beginning to think it was a dream. I was delighted when I managed to get a friend into OCATC and he's got a birthday coming up. A special review from Gregg is literally the best present I could get him.

Big Mclargehuge

This threads just reminded me im signed up to HEI, so I went to see what new stuff they had to watch...only to find their last newly created content was on the 23rd of June and that I was already fully caught up. bit dissapointing that the last content uploaded was under 2 minutes long and was uploaded over a fortnight ago. I mean, I get they dont want to oversaturate things but something meaty would be nice around about now...

wooders1978

More than a tad miffed that having shelled out for the 2021 Oscar specials back in may, last week when I finally had time to watch and enjoy them, I log in and find that there was an apparent time limit to view them and they have now 'expired" and I need to fully sign up to watch them - not on lads

BlodwynPig

Quote from: wooders1978 on July 19, 2021, 07:27:56 PM
More than a tad miffed that having shelled out for the 2021 Oscar specials back in may, last week when I finally had time to watch and enjoy them, I log in and find that there was an apparent time limit to view them and they have now 'expired" and I need to fully sign up to watch them - not on lads

That's crap! There must be other ways however?

Noodle Lizard

I see my HEI subscription as a sort of backpay for all the free content I've had from them (I paid for the odd bit of merch here and there, and I think I rented Mr. America too, but other than that it's all been freeloading). I haven't checked in on it since the special, but if they put out a full season of OC with the proceeds then that's about good enough for me.

MrMrs

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: MrMrs on July 20, 2021, 09:52:59 AM
no one gives a fuck about rock house then

the pitch was better than the execution imo. I really liked the promo on the oscar special, The idea of a short form series pitched as a cookery show crossed with an "Osbournes"/ "Viva la bam" style reality show but with Axiom and Manuel that looked painfully forced could have worked really well. But I think they were a bit too hands off on just letting Axiom and Manuel be funny and do their thing, I think it was a little too heavy handed on playing on tropes of reality shows that have been played out time and again and, not to get into spoilers too quickly,
Spoiler alert
But I think they could have done at least a couple of episodes of just Manuel and Axiom being a bit mundane and just having a nice time before THEN beginning to have Tim mess around with the editing to make it look like theres drama or to start calling into the Rock House to try and shake things up a bit. I think introducing that female singer from the oscar special probably could have been left for an episode or 2 as well.
[close]
It was fine enough and has potential, but I just think they tried to introduce too much too quickly when I feel this could have really benefitted from being an ultra slow boil.

wooders1978

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 19, 2021, 09:30:14 PM
That's crap! There must be other ways however?

I'm sure there is but I can't really be bothered, I will of course eventually sign up to the hei network but I'm currently "resting" between jobs and its a bit frivolous, but I do want to support the boys, dirty tricks or not

famethrowa

Is this all planned out? Troll the fans, make a little money as well, eventually crash the franchise due to inactivity and disinterest and wrap it up?

wooders1978

Quote from: famethrowa on July 21, 2021, 01:24:05 AM
Is this all planned out? Troll the fans, make a little money as well, eventually crash the franchise due to inactivity and disinterest and wrap it up?

I think that possibly the intentions were pure but how much time and money they'd need to throw at it without studio help may have been underestimated? Though Tim does have his own studio so he should know, so you might be right

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: wooders1978 on July 21, 2021, 11:31:07 AM
I think that possibly the intentions were pure but how much time and money they'd need to throw at it without studio help may have been underestimated? Though Tim does have his own studio so he should know, so you might be right

Yeah, I'm not sure how much the average On Cinema season costs to produce (I think I remember hearing that the later Oscars specials were in the region of $100k a pop), but if you guess at the total number of HEI subscriptions and do the maths I'd be surprised if they were pulling in anywhere close to that on a regular basis. So it might be a case of waiting until they've saved up a bit.

Of course, they could massively strip down their setup to a kind of Office Hours/video podcast one to save on expenses in the meantime. COVID Year Two is probably not a bad time to experiment with something like that, especially since any kind of proper video shoot in LA is technically required to do testing every other day ($300-500 a pop), hire COVID compliance officers etc.

Noodle Lizard

I just caught up on Gregg's Classic Movie Time. Love the second one where he visits a building from the Martin Lawrence classic National Security and appears completely oblivious to the massive (I think) Black Lives Matter mural that's appeared on it. Says so much about the character without saying anything at all.

QDRPHNC

Season 12 starts October 6th.

The Hei Network has also launched Hei Points, which they expect to replace the US dollar by 2022.

Chollis

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 22, 2021, 08:11:54 PM
Season 12 starts October 6th.

nice! feels like it's been ages since this has been on.

guessing this will be behind the subscription? has there been much bonus content with that (for anyone that has it)?

QDRPHNC

I think the first ep will be free, the rest will be behind the paywall.

I hate to admit it, because I truly love OC (drove almost 800 miles to see the live show in Nashville) , but this Hei Network thing has put a dent in my enjoyment of it. The idea of the Hei Network itself is pretty great, but the problem I find is that's out of sight and out of mind. Mostly I watch things through Youtube on my Xbox, so when a new Red Letter Media pops up, for example, it's available, I can watch it whenever, I'm constantly reminded that they're there.

With HEI, it's a real pain to go to a website, login and watch it through the Xbox browser, and I tend not to watch stuff on the computer, so even as a somewhat obsessive fan, I haven't seen the Rock House pilot or Gregg's Movie Time. I think it would have been better if they'd created a HEI channel on YT and just trust in the fact that they would make enough to survive via Patreon - if RLM can do it, I'm sure Tim Heidecker could.

Quote from: Chollis on September 22, 2021, 10:24:34 PM
has there been much bonus content with that (for anyone that has it)?

HEI has every episode and special archived, which is nice (although not the original podcast... nor the oscar special behind the scenes they did for Patreon, now that I think about it).

Bonus content in chronological order:

• VFA Acquisition Announcement (pictured above: Gregg grimly signs over the VFA to Tim after losing the bet on the most recent oscar special)
  • On Cinema Summer Preview (40 minute audio)
  • On Cinema Live (whole show, great)
  • Gregg Turkington's Classic Movie Time (3 episodes)
  • Rock House pilot episode

In conclusion: Still love them, wish they hadn't made it such a pain to watch them. First two rules of marketing (probably) - meet your audience where they already are and don't make it hard for them to find your stuff.

QDRPHNC

Going back to the early pages of this thread is like a who's who of people who don't post here anymore.

Chollis

Agree with all that and appreciate you keeping this thread notified with the latest because it always drops off my radar.

I paid for the recent Oscar special which I believe was a one-off, then a while later decided I'd pay for the full service but it either wouldn't accept my payment details or I had some issue logging in, getting the videos to work on the website, can't remember - and I just thought fuck this. Perhaps that's on me for being spoilt, too used to having everything I like at the touch of a button on YouTube or Netflix or whatever, but it doesn't seem like good business sense from their end having this stand-alone website rather than a much more visible and accessible YouTube channel. I really love OC too, one of my favourite comedy things ever, but part of me feels like its best days may be behind it anyway, and the misstep of the HEI Network/website compounds that feeling. Nevertheless, I'm glad that they're still doing it, and I'm looking forward to Lucky Season 12 where we'll hear from Mr. Moneybags himself.

Retinend

Gregg SLAMS Tim re Tim's cryptocurrency "HeiPoints"

QDRPHNC

QuoteCinema Fans!

Tomorrow, HEI Network is proud to exclusively premiere Season 12 of On Cinema at the Cinema. Pop up a bag of popcorn and watch live with chat at 9pm ET / 6pm PT.

Episode One is free for all to watch, but sign up as a HEI Member for access to all following Season 12 episodes as well as HEI Content like the Rock House Pilot Episode, Gregg Turkington's Classic Movie Time, and On Cinema Live.

Sign up today as a HEI Annual Member and you will instantly receive 50,000 $HeiPoints into your HEI Wallet!

See you tomorrow at the Cinema 🍿

QDRPHNC

Anyone else watched this yet?

Tim's review of Mass is a thing of beauty:

QuoteTim:
Spoiler alert
We're not talking about Mask, we're talking about Mass directed by Franks, Fran Kranz ... France is directed by, Mass is directed by Franks, Fran Kranz, starring the great Jason Isaacs and Marfla, Martha Pim, Martha uh Martha Pim Pim uh Plim uh Plim-tone Plimton. Mask is about a story following the aftermath of a violent tragedy ... Mask is the story of a following the Mask is a Mass is a story following the askermath aftermath of a violent tragedy that affects the lives of two couples in different ways. Mass uh directed by Kent Ren Fan Ran Fan Kranz Fran Kranz. Uh your thoughts on Fran on Mass?
[close]

Gregg:
Spoiler alert
Yeah, it's not at all like Mask.
[close]

Chollis

"One letter can make a really big difference"

Spoiler alert
Enjoyed Greg immediately bringing up Electric Sun. Good to see Rio-Jenesis back too, looking forward to seeing how it fucks Tim up as I love Heidecker's physical comedy. RJ's shakes, was that linked with the various offshoots of Chaplin's Chilli? Know it catered the Oscar special but can't remember. How do people feel about Toni? I'm ambivalent towards the stuff with her in, partly because it's almost too cringe even for me. Her son's interactions with Tim are definitely the best part of their relationship. Tim was very into her this episode, though I'm still hoping/expecting it to head towards a conclusion this season, where we'll see Tim trying to get out of the marriage whilst attempting to take her money/dump his debt/legal problems on her.
[close]

QDRPHNC

I feel the same way about Toni - in a way, it's high praise for how good the actor is that she's so hard to watch.

Yeah, I think RJ's is connected to Chaplin's. Loved Tim's line about it undoing all of his vaccines back to childhood.

chveik

it was good, i have yet to watch the special so there are some recent developments i'm not clued on

MrMrs

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: MrMrs on October 07, 2021, 08:38:32 PM
Toni is pretty bad. Much too broad

I agree. I thought she was fine when she first appeared in Mr America (though I didn't think much of the film as a whole), but now it's as if she's too "in on it" without the requisite restraint to play the character convincingly or naturally. They've had that problem before, I remember Kim Delgado in the 3rd(?) Oscar Special trying too hard to be funny or wacky when the humor should really be drawn from how sincere the characters are about what they're doing. Joe Estevez was sometimes guilty of this earlier on, but I think he's got a good handle on it now. I think out-and-out "actors" will always struggle with this compared to people like Gregg or Tim or Zac Holtzman (Dr. San), for whom "being an actor" isn't their primary goal. Same goes for Axiom and Manuel and everyone involved in The Trial, for the same reasons.

Ayaka is a perfect example of the opposite, however.

Noodle Lizard

Have to admit, Tim's "save it, would you?" when Toni reacted too excitedly to his proposal of a nice dinner did make me burst out laughing. Very Partridge.

MrMrs

Yeah, you need a sea of straight persons in this absurd world

QDRPHNC

See, I'm giving Toni the benefit of the doubt, I think her hamming it up is intentional.