Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyGerbail

I've personally been getting diminishing returns from Heidecker for a while, i laughed at the images, some of the editing and a couple of other things though and i enjoyed the comedy bang bang show.  I still get the distinct feeling that he's either in a creative lull, that he's moved out of my personal zone of comedy fun or simply started to lose it, like all comedians seem to after a certain age.

ed: thanks for the heads up, i haven't been following the twitter feed for a while now.

hedgehog90

Quote from: RickyGerbail on February 26, 2013, 01:23:13 PM
I've personally been getting diminishing returns from Heidecker for a while, i laughed at the images, some of the editing and a couple of other things though and i enjoyed the comedy bang bang show.  I still get the distinct feeling that he's either in a creative lull, that he's moved out of my personal zone of comedy fun or simply started to lose it, like all comedians seem to after a certain age.

For the last year or so I've had the same feeling about Heidecker and I've gradually become less of a raving fan.
His output is patchy, certainly. I'd agree with Noodle Lizard that Billion Dollar Movie was utter shite.
Needless to say though, the Oscars Special is now my favourite thing he's ever done. He has redeemed himself for now.

Swoz_MK

Watched the whole of the "Oscar" special last night, can't add much to what has been said previously but I haven't laughed that hard in ages. Only ever seen Turkington as NH before but definitely going to seek out more of his stuff. His reactions and retorts to Tim's drunk-jinks reminded me a lot of Wareheim's more restrained portrayals of the Awesome Show "Eric" (telling Tim that he knows Richard Dunn isn't his Dad from s1e1 springs to mind). I'm rambling, but yeah, this was brilliant.

Looks like ol' TH is putting on a bit of timber there in that oscars video

I'm saying he's getting fat

Depressed Beyond Tables

Swoz_MK

I think Tim's gradual weight gain started soon after that knife attack some years back.

Tiny Poster

He's been huge for some time now - check out his podge in The Comedy.

I can't help thinking about it when I see him because he looks just like me prior to my own weight loss.

lazyhour

Rachel

Bloody hell, didn't realise he got knifed that bad. Horribly close to the spine too.

Neil

Hey guys!

I've split all the On Cinema posts from the general Heidecker thread, and merged them in here with the original On Cinema thread.  You pups are so messy.

I've finally got round to these, and spent all day yesterday listening to the first 45 while playing Dark Souls.  In fact, I could barely tear myself away from them until about 4am, and was dying to see how they continued developing.  As has been pointed out, they're very slow-burning indeed, and the seemingly endless string of banal, worthless reviews seeds some really great payoffs when they start fucking about by getting other people in or, most notably, when Tim goes right-wing/political.  I'm in stitches at the very idea that Turkington is pissed off at being told that they'd do The Fifth Element, only for Heidecker to have changed it to Atlas Shrugged! 

Another thing that can really crack me up is the constant "you can, uh, probably get this on Netflix" stuff, which pops up constantly, and is pretty much most of the substance of the majority of their early "reviews."  Tim's pettiness and possessiveness is always a joy, too. 

Nearly finished the audio ones now, then onto the video, yaay.

Here's the website address for anyone else who wants it. http://oncinemapodcast.com/category/episodes

Thanks for listening.

Neil

And start at the beginning and listen to them in order!

Tim: "That's because you're believing the garbage that the lame-stream media is feeding you."
Gregg: "There aren't any named actors in it."
Tim: "They've all swallowed the pill! ...Taylor Schilling is in it."
Gregg: sigh

I love these.  Tim going on about Ayn Rand and playing Hannity clips is just pitch-perfect.  Turkington's long, slow annoyance finally getting expressed is lovely, too. Oh, I love the change in theme tune.  And the way
Spoiler alert
one of the podcasts is a repeat of a previous one, and one - ostensibly featuring George Lucas - 404's, and the way the beginning of a podcast will sometimes start and cut off very suddenly at the end of one, and the pausing for barking dogs, and the at that point uncommonly long dissections of The Three Stooges, and Tim's desire not to ruin JFK with spoilers!
[close]

Edit: Haha, he ended with the Bill O'Reilly
Spoiler alert
"I'm turning your mic off", even though it's the end of the show anyway, brilliant.
[close]

hedgehog90

When you get to the ThingX videos I hope you don't skip past the 2 hour long Oscar Special, it really is 'special'.
I give it 5 bags of popcorn, 7 sodas and 10 gold stars.

Neil

Definitely won't - I watched the first 20 minutes after you all raving about it, and it's what prompted me to start with the audio podcasts, which I have now completely devoured.  Will get cracking on the video ones, and really looking forward to the Oscar special.

Depressed Beyond Tables

The Oscars special was a joy. I'll have to get the popcorn in again for a re-watch.

Don't miss TH's Comedy Bang Bang podcast interviews either - plus the Tom Scharpling interview is just sublime. If you like personas with depth.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Great hair, Gregg. I think Gregg should break away and start his own cinema review show. Tim's out of line.

Neil

Just about to watch that, that's me caught up, just the Oscar special to go.  Really enjoy how these are such slow-burning shows that are just all about character.  Particularly enjoy Gregg's silent rage throughout, which works better in video as you get to see him simmering away and rolling his eyes - it's a nice counterpoint to Tim's passive-aggressive hectoring, and it makes it really mean something on the rare occasions when Gregg stands up to Tim. 

Also really enjoying the return of Tim's political views, and his interest in homoeopathy.  Oh, and the huge jacket Gregg wore on the special episode.  One of my favourite lines in any of these is Gregg saying "I have a lot of old newspapers."  Just lovely, well-observed character comedy.

Edit: Ha, that new one was great, Gregg getting fucked off again.  And Tim pulling out Dennis Miller Live was hilarious, particularly as he's a comic who has liberal early on, then turned very conservative.  It also links back nicely to Tim citing him as a new influence in the first episode of Gelmania.

RickyGerbail

Tim and Eric Nite Live is funny and it's similar to On Cinema in some ways.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Neil on March 15, 2013, 02:01:43 PM
And Tim pulling out Dennis Miller Live was hilarious, particularly as he's a comic who has liberal early on, then turned very conservative.

A bit like Tom Hanks...

http://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=48182&archive=83183

Starts about 1 hr in.

Petey Pate

Its funny reading this old blog entry of Tim's in light of his recent foray into right wing politics.  I'm glad he's seen the light and converted to common sense.  Abolish Obamacare now!

https://www.myspace.com/heidecker/blog/443546247

Retinend

Quote from: RickyGerbail on March 15, 2013, 03:05:44 PM
Tim and Eric Nite Live is funny and it's similar to On Cinema in some ways.

Is it widely agreed yet that Nite Live is the most consistently hilarious single series they made? Because it should be, because, you know, it's true.

(Check it Out series 1 excepted)

RickyGerbail

Quote from: Retinend on March 22, 2013, 11:47:00 PM
Is it widely agreed yet that Nite Live is the most consistently hilarious single series they made? Because it should be, because, you know, it's true.

(Check it Out series 1 excepted)

I don't know, i've gotten the impression that a lot of people haven't seen Nite Live. It's good stuff that's fo sho.

kitsofan34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFmz7t07i7w

For anyone not on Twitter, or who don't follow Turkington/Heidecker, here's a transcript of their argument on there:

Gregg Turkington ‏@greggturkington 18h
Not everyone has #filmexpertise

#JumpTheShark: when a great tv or web series puts out a not-so-great episode.

timheidecker ‏@timheidecker 18h
.@greggturkington #OnCinema has been and always will be MY show. not yours, get it? chill on the hate. #goodfriday

#OriginalCast: the ones that made a series successful.

@timheidecker Yes, and Star Wars was George Lucas's movie, but we all know what happened when Alex Guiness left the series. #JumpTheShark

.@greggturkington are you honestly comparing #oncinema to Star Wars? it's a movie review show, gregg. Get a grip.

@timheidecker To the people who rely on my expert opinions to plan their weekends, it's much more than a simple movie show. #duty

Without an expert on staff, a film review show loses its credibility, @timheidecker

.@greggturkington you scored 0-5 on the Stump the Buff game. some film expertise. keep this up if you wanna be banned.

.@timheidecker And i have gotten 5 out of 5 when the cameras weren't rolling. And when the questions weren't tricks to "save money". #greed

OK, bye @greggturkington ! You are now not welcome on the show! #bye ! #blocked #badfriday

and @greggturkington your Jimmy McNichol interview sucked. should not have run that interview. #mistake

BANNED by @timheidecker because I told the truth he rigged Stump The Buff to save money and not pay it out to cancer, I KNEW THE ANSWERS

send me youtube videos of your #oncinema auditions! I will need a guest for next week!

.@timheidecker Great, without expertise the show is no better than listening to some jerks talking about movies while using a urinal.

@timheidecker I have gotten a lot of great feedback from Jimmy McNichol fans who loved the interview. I am very proud of the segment.

Who would like to see a new show "Our Cinema" with me & Jimmy Mc Nichol? #OurCinema

Gregg Turkington ‏@greggturkington 16h
While @timheidecker auditions unknowns for his sinking ship, #OurCinema has a proven star in our sights to anchor the show.  #TeamJimmy

Hope this isn't too annoying.

NZP

Love this. Absolutely adore it. Turkington makes it, obviously, but I died when Tim started with the right wing stuff (particularly 'coz I've listened to some Alex Jones podcasts and Heidecker nailed him so perfectly - "lame-stream media", "taken the pill" etc.).