Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:31:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Tiny Poster on August 15, 2013, 09:58:26 AM
Yeah, that was a good one.

In related news, Tim is releasing another album with Davin Wood soon.

Great news

NZP

Depressed Beyond Tables

I'm not convinced Tim's performance is lacking in On Cinema. I know he looks at the camera a lot in a bizarre way but I think there's more to it than over-egging a performance.

I know Limmy pointed to this fact, and how it ruins the show, but knowing what Heidecker is capable of I'm not  ready to put it down to poor acting. Just listening to some of his Comedy Bang Bang interviews or the Tom Scharpling radio show shows him at his best.

Johnny Townmouse

Good gracious I do adore Limmy, but his points were pure black kettle pot calling.

NZP

Yup. Limmy often reverted to using a funny voice or accent as a punch line. Tim is on point with this. His mispronunciation of actors' names & his subsequent frustration is hilarious.

gmoney

It's only just dawned on me that Gregg is Neil Hamburger. Wow.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on August 15, 2013, 01:01:51 PMThe argument also stems back to one of the very earliest (and funniest) of the audio podcasts, if I'm not mistaken.

You're right, its in the 8th episode of the audio podcast, and has been mentioned at least once before in the video series.

gabrielconroy

It's amazing how Tim's inevitable inability to pronounce famous actors' names still cracks me up every time. I know he's going to do it, and it couldn't really be a simpler thing to do, but I've never not found it funny.

I think it's something to do with how it's just another way of deflating the premise of a film review show where neither of the presenters know very much about the topic but consider themselves experts (Greg does, at least - Tim I think is just trying to make an ill-judged career in the area, a bit like his Who/Ent-whistle business on CBB).

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: gabrielconroy on August 15, 2013, 08:52:51 PM
Tim I think is just trying to make an ill-judged career in the area, a bit like his Who/Ent-whistle business on CBB).

Ill-judged???

Those whistles go for mad money on ebay.

Noodle Lizard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr_q3Gxvex0

Well this was a fucking disaster, if you ask me.  I can't believe this Ayaka joker is back, she clearly knows nothing about cinema.  'Airheads' as a Popcorn Classic?  I ask you.

#OffCinema

Petey Pate

I disagree.  I'm gonna give it 5+ bags of popcorn.  Nice to see Tim happy without a rude, unprofessional guest getting in his way.

RickyGerbail

I've been through a process of intense maturation over the last couple of months and my interest in the on cinema podcast has predictably diminished as a consequense of this. Nowadays i'm much more interested in comedians with well honed, truthy ways of talking about their own bodies and mental problems, the childish, misanthropic ramblings of an anti-comedic dickflap (Ayaka) doesn't really whet my palate anymore.

Petey Pate

Quote from: RickyGerbail on August 22, 2013, 09:58:17 AM
I've been through a process of intense maturation over the last couple of months and my interest in the on cinema podcast has predictably diminished as a consequense of this. Nowadays i'm much more interested in comedians with well honed, truthy ways of talking about their own bodies and mental problems, the childish, misanthropic ramblings of an anti-comedic dickflap (Ayaka) doesn't really whet my palate anymore.

What are you talking about?  I thought you watched it for the great expertise and so you'd know what movies to check out each weekend (and which ones to skip).

Ayaka is a great addition to the On Cinema Family, and knows more about film that Gregg "I don't like cancer victims and am wrong about Star Trek II" Turkington will ever dream of.

Tiny Poster

It's funny when we pretend it's real! Ha ha good stuff gentlemen.

Petey Pate

Petey Pate

Gregg the On Cinema buff has come back to us, but with vengeance.  Will they solve the mystery of the
Spoiler alert
stolen video tape
[close]
in the final episode next week?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sPIniCEtY9U

To talk about this show seriously; this is probably the funniest episode yet.   Turkington's facial expressions are a riot throughout.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Brilliant episode.

I always felt Tim's performance contained elements of the infamous Gorgeous George and this episode has it in spades.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/3532223/gorgeous-george-prank-calls-3

Search his other videos for more awkward camera looking nonsense.

RickyGerbail

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on August 28, 2013, 11:25:25 PM
Brilliant episode.

I always felt Tim's performance contained elements of the infamous Gorgeous George and this episode has it in spades.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/3532223/gorgeous-george-prank-calls-3

Search his other videos for more awkward camera looking nonsense.

Thanks for posting this, Tim has taken a lot from that guy.

NZP

Noodle Lizard

That was a fucking nightmare.  I'm definitely Team Gregg, don't know about you guys.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: RickyGerbail on August 29, 2013, 02:46:30 AM
this kind of stuff must have been the inspiration for nite live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9YNbLq99Tk

He had all the prank call videos taken down from YouTube a few years back. Instead, he puts clips like this up. Heidecker definitely takes from his staggeringly inept on-screen presence, his general ignorance and also his misplaced self confidence.

But in fairness, public access TV has never been the slickest.

RickyGerbail

i love how George isn't professional enough to hide his constant dissapointment in his sidekick. You can hear the depression in his voice when Kevin says some unfunny gibberish. Also that dismissive and bored tone he sometimes uses, it's all stuff that Timmy has taken for his own work. I'm going to make a thread about this, or perhaps you want the honor of creating the thread Depressed Beyond Tables?

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: RickyGerbail on August 29, 2013, 11:50:20 AM
i love how George isn't professional enough to hide his constant dissapointment in his sidekick. You can hear the depression in his voice when Kevin says some unfunny gibberish. Also that dismissive and bored tone he sometimes uses, it's all stuff that Timmy has taken for his own work. I'm going to make a thread about this, or perhaps you want the honor of creating the thread Depressed Beyond Tables?

Go for it. A comedic inspirations thread could be a goer.

Petey Pate

QuoteTOMORROW: ALL NEW ON CINEMA

The first annual On Cinema Christmas Special premieres tomorrow. Get the lowdown on the season's hottest blockbusters before you hit the theater.

Can you guess Tim's x-mas guest? Find out if you're right, tomorrow!

Only just found about this.  Who's excited?  I'm excited.

Petey Pate

Oh and in case you missed it, Gregg Turkington has written an essay on Gone With The Wind.  It's probably the easiest form of comedy in the world to write a deliberately poor review, but this still made me laugh.  Read it in his voice.

QuoteGone With The Wind: A True Classic, Or A Relic From The Past?

By Gregg Turkington

A lot of people have heard of "Gone With The Wind" but who has actually seen it? The true movie buff, of course. This movie is a classic from 1939. If you are a fan of cinema and movies in general, it is a must-see.

There are those who say that the movie does not meet the standard of today's movies, and they have a point in a way. There is no CGI. There are no car chases, outer space beings (ala "Alien"), or "Spiderman"-type effects. However, that is irrelevant. This is a classic movie and it was ahead of it's time. The scene where Cary Grant flees Atlanta as it is burning was way ahead of its time. Any true movie buff has memorized this scene and considers it a classic.

I guess what I would say to those who say that, in their opinion, the latest "Fast and The Furious" installment is more modern than "Gone With The Wind" is this: you may have a point there...but "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!"