Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:11:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google

Started by Famous Mortimer, December 02, 2011, 06:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Just searching for Formula 1 news, the top result is the BBC's, but there's a little thing under the headline: "Block all news.bbc.co.uk results". This doesn't appear under any other news outlet's link, so I wondered if anyone knew why this happens? Or are Google and the BBC feudin'?

Sadly, I don't think it's anything near as sinister as Google and the BBC beefin'.
It seems to do it on the top search results of ANYTHING you Google.  (Well, once you click on the top result and then go back a page to the Google results page.

Looky.......

I'm using Firefox so i don't know whether it's just doing it on there, and not on IE?

Zetetic

Does it under absolutely every result on my machine (if you click to it, and then hit back) under FF and IE. And has done for a while.
A while.

olliebean

Is it a persistent setting (i.e. would it mean you'd never get any results from that website ever again), or is it just so that you can remove from the current set of results a website that is monopolizing them?

(It doesn't seem to be doing it at all to me, btw).

Zetetic

Are you logged into a Google account?

pk1yen

It seems quite useful - it only happens when you click a result, realise it's not what you want, and then go back. As far as I know, it only applies to that one search? Easier way than writing "-cookdandbombd.co.uk" or whatever and ending up with a huge complicated search term.

Maybe not.

Zetetic

Dunno if this link will work for those that are not signed in to a Google Account. It sez:

Quote from: GoogleIf you don't like a site that appears in your search results, you can block all the pages within that site. Then you won't see any of those pages when you're signed in and searching on Google. If you change your mind, you can unblock the site later.

Sites will be blocked only for you, but Google may use everyone's blocking information to improve the ranking of search results overall.

You may block up to 500 sites.

Famous Mortimer

I feel foolish now. But know more information!