Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,475
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:34:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mario Kart 7

Started by I accept the terms of the, December 02, 2011, 10:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I accept the terms of the

Played through all the tracks. Pleasant enough.

Done with it. Not enough longevity to be seen in multiplayer (I already don't care) to keep it interesting like in the Wii version, and the game itself has fuck all meat to it.

Done. Finishing Mario 3D Land and selling the 3DS. I can't see this thing picking up. If something amazing comes out one day I can afford to miss it.

wasp_f15ting

Crikey glad I didn't pick this up today then...

Have you finished all the secret stages in SM3L too? Don't you want to wait till Resident Evil comes out on it? Might be worth it?

Barberism

Kirby's Adventure. In 3D. That enough to tempt you to stay?

They really do need to bring out a revision though. I'd prefer something the size of a DSXL if it meant bigger screens, two circle pads, and more battery life.

The 3D is a cool gimmick for 10 minutes. It only really makes a difference for Mario 3D Land. They should have put their resources into better graphics/more battery life. The DS was all about the touch screen and the interesting things you could do with it. The 3DS negates that by making the top screen the focus.

Also the 3DS shop needs to make every SNES, Game Boy, and GBA game available. Seriously, shut up Nintendo and take my money!

On topic. Does this have all the classic tracks? I'd be happy with just a port of Mario Kart 64.

I don't give a crap about Kirby or any Resident Evil that isn't the first one, unfortunately.

You're right about the 3DS shop, but how can they push out hundreds of remakes in the future if the original is there to play cheaply?

It has 16 classic tracks. "Classic" includes tracks from Mario Kart Wii, so don't get too excited. Three of the tracks are N64 ones, and two of them are SNES.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_7#Courses

jutl

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on December 03, 2011, 12:08:04 PMYou're right about the 3DS shop, but how can they push out hundreds of remakes in the future if the original is there to play cheaply?

More to  the point how can they sell the 8/10 games when all the 9s and 10s are right there next to them? No-one runs a re-release strategy that way - it's financial suicide. As with the Wii's VC, and DVD, CD and Blu-ray, it'll be a drip feed.

madhair60

So, the 3DS is basically the worst shit ever, isn't it?  Is Mario 3D Land (which admittedly looks great) really enough to make it worthwhile?

Edit: The introduction of the blue shell in Mario Kart 64 forever destroyed the series to my mind.

jutl

Quote from: madhair60 on December 06, 2011, 03:33:30 PM
So, the 3DS is basically the worst shit ever, isn't it?  Is Mario 3D Land (which admittedly looks great) really enough to make it worthwhile?

In the end it's where Nintendo's first party portable titles are going to be in the future. While Nintendo's hardware strategy is looking increasingly odd, their software is still extraordinary.

Jobey

I don't even think Metal Gear Solid can save this turd.

It's not even a turd in itself. Most of the important games for it aren't either. It just seems to be managed by a team who want Nintendo to die.

jutl

Quote from: Jobey on December 07, 2011, 10:26:23 AM
I don't even think Metal Gear Solid can save this turd.

It seems that - post price cut - the 3DS is selling as well as the DS did. Also MGS doesn't tend to shift many units on portable devices anyway, and is targeted at the wrong market for the 3DS.

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on December 07, 2011, 10:28:40 AM
It's not even a turd in itself. Most of the important games for it aren't either. It just seems to be managed by a team who want Nintendo to die.

I'm not even sure that's true. If the 3DS does outsell the DS in its first year, it can hardly be called a failure (even though Nintendo are losing money on it, unlike the DS).

At this point they need to be building markets and getting players on their platforms. Users and reputation are more important than immediate profits as a new series of consoles are coming out and mobile gaming is becoming a force in the handheld market.

Consignia

The DS itself was a slow burner at first though. It had a couple of nice tech demo type games in the first year, but the real seller stuff didn't come until a good year into as far I remember. Nintendo was also in a real lull at the time, with a weakened brand, so it wasn't going to sell any hardware on name alone. Which is why I don't think the first year sales are that relevant, it's were it goes in the long run.

jutl

Quote from: Consignia on December 07, 2011, 11:12:58 AM
The DS itself was a slow burner at first though.

It depends on what you compare it to... It beat the PSP in their first year (8.7m vs 7.9m). They were both released in the last months of 2004. If you compare it to the GBA (15.4m in the first year), the DS started as a flop but went on to sell almost twice the total the GBA managed. The first Gameboy sold 2m in its first year and went on to sell 200m. So for the most current frame of reference we have, the 3DS doing 7-8m in its first year is perfectly respectable.

source: vgchartz

Jobey

The DS shits all over the 3DS, my r4 is filled with games that could me busy for a decade.
3DS has a couple rehashed N64 games and not much else.
I'm gonna sell it.

jutl

Quote from: Jobey on December 07, 2011, 03:48:24 PM
The DS shits all over the 3DS, my r4 is filled with games that could me busy for a decade.
3DS has a couple rehashed N64 games and not much else.
I'm gonna sell it.

At this point in the DS' lifespan it was still uncracked, so no r4 cards back then either.