Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:33:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RPG Recommendations

Started by Neomod, December 05, 2011, 02:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

Playing Fable 2 which I am enjoying immensely. Can anyone recommend further purchases in this vein? I don't want something too heavy as I won't really have a lot of time to play it.

Is Fable 2 a proper RPG or RPG lite?

madhair60

How far back are you prepared to go?

As of now, I would recommend The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Edit: Oh, not too heavy, sorry!  Er, are you on PC or 360?

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Neomod on December 05, 2011, 02:20:44 PM
I don't want something too heavy as I won't really have a lot of time to play it.

Quote from: madhair60 on December 05, 2011, 02:26:36 PM

That has to be sarcasm? I'm already slightly regretting buying Skyrim because it really will take me years to get to the point others have reached after a couple of weeks' obsessive playing. It's good obviously, but if you like Fable and don't have a lot of time for gaming, I would definitely say that Skyrim's the opposite of what you're after. I can only rack up a few hours every week, and when most of them are just spent galumphing around, it's a very heavy prospect. Yes, you can play it sort of however you want, but Fable's more of an achievable challenge, if it's game completion you're after.

Fable is the anti-Elder Scrolls really, that's how it works – light and playful where Elder Scrolls is dense and dour. And it has quirky performances from comedians, where Elder Scrolls has that agonisingly terrible straight acting throughout. The obvious thing for those who like Fable II would be to suggest Fable III, of course... Otherwise, there's just not much else like it. Not on Xbox anyway, which is my frame of reference.

Neomod

Quote from: madhair60 on December 05, 2011, 02:26:36 PM
How far back are you prepared to go?

Edit: Oh, not too heavy, sorry!  Er, are you on PC or 360?

I'm on 360.

madhair60

Jemble: Hence the edit, I do apologise.  Skyrim is reasonably stat-light, though.

I can recommed Cthulhu Saves the Earth on Xbox Live Indie Games or Steam, though.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: madhair60 on December 05, 2011, 02:34:12 PM
Jemble: Hence the edit, I do apologise. 

I missed the edit, and I do too also apologise.

Neomod

I don't mind the idea of the heavier stuff if there is nothing else really out there. I've played Fallout 3 which I'm guessing is similar in scope. I'll check out the reviews for Skyrim.

I thought the general consensus was that Fable 3 was a bit bobbins?

madhair60

Jemble: I'll take this opportunity to inform you that there's a remake of Prince of the Yolkfolk coming to iOS.  That's an RPG, sort of.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Neomod on December 05, 2011, 02:39:25 PM
I thought the general consensus was that Fable 3 was a bit bobbins?

General consensi are pricks. Having said that, it is the only Fable game I've played so perhaps the earlier ones were even better.

Quote from: madhair60 on December 05, 2011, 02:40:31 PM
Jemble: I'll take this opportunity to inform you that there's a remake of Prince of the Yolkfolk coming to iOS.  That's an RPG, sort of.

Yup, counting the days! Even thought I will then just basically stroll through it in about half an hour, and could reel off the entire guide in my sleep. I'll support it because I want new ones.

HappyTree

I just finished Fable 2 and loved it, so I'm in the same boat. I was all poised to buy Fable 3 but decided to hold off until they release a special edition with extra content on the disk. I will probably get the 2 DLCs for Fable 2 but at the mo MS are being complete incompetent idiots about moving my licences to a new console. They have already agreed to do it, they just haven't done it even after €30 of phone calls. Long story!

You might try Divinity 2: Dragon Knight saga. It's not as intense as Dragon Age Origins, I'm enjoying it. You can take it as lightly or as seriously as you want and it's very pretty to walk around. Not as overtly humorous as Fable 2.

The complaints about Fable 3 have been that it's over-simplified and too short. The demo seemed ok to me, I just want a fun distraction in a fantasy land so it would seem to be the kind of thing we're both looking for. They say it's proper glitched-up, but every game is these days. The public have become the beta testers and all's well that is patched well.

edit: actually I've just watched a review of Divinity 2 and it said it was very long and complicated. So I guess I haven't got very far in it yet.