Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:59:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk

Started by Jerzy Bondov, December 09, 2011, 05:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: Replies From View on December 13, 2011, 05:20:47 PM
A positive thing:  I like that Dizzy speeds up after walking for a while.  Traversing long stretches of land back and forth can be the killer for Dizzy players.
Heh - I thought this was happening because I was moving from a less "busy" screen to a more simple one. Clearly my brain is still stuck in 128k mode.

Playing the iOS version has brought back lovely memories, but I'm a bit disappointed that I managed to finish it in two short commutes... that's not any attempt at bragging, either - I really am quite awful at modern games and old-game recall. I'd forgotten
Spoiler alert
there were red herrings in the original, I thought every object had some use... they were red herrings, weren't they? Red carpet, Dizzy toy and mp3 player
[close]
?

Replies From View

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on December 13, 2011, 11:17:24 PM
I'd forgotten
Spoiler alert
there were red herrings in the original, I thought every object had some use... they were red herrings, weren't they? Red carpet, Dizzy toy and mp3 player
[close]
?

Yep, they were red herrings.  As were various items to be found in the two castles.  In the original versions of the game, the items you listed were
Spoiler alert
a flying carpet (giving more of a sense that you might be able to find somewhere to use it in the clouds... which you couldn't), an extra life (now irrelevant since lives aren't limited, but they must have just wanted to keep that there as an object) and... I can't remember what was there instead of an mp3 player
[close]
.  New to the iPhone version of the game, I liked the red herring that
Spoiler alert
you might be able to find something to turn your gloves green to open the trapdoor
[close]
.  In the original game, it just said that
Spoiler alert
the knob couldn't move
[close]

madhair60

The flying carpet is definitely useable in Dizzy the Adventurer, the NES port of Yolkfolk.  Not sure about the other versions.

Replies From View

Yes, the NES version was fleshed out quite a lot, I gather.  The dialogue exchanges between characters are more full than in the standard version.  And unless I'm mistaken the Yolkfolk themselves are scattered around, aren't they?

Edit:  Yes:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOHa1jIUkrE

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: Replies From View on December 14, 2011, 01:33:53 AMYep, they were red herrings.
Thanks, I was hoping I hadn't missed something out! Now you mention it, I think the iOS version was
Spoiler alert
also a flying (or magic) carpet as I was carrying it up in the clouds and on top of the towers just in case it took me off somewhere. I liked the gloves misdirection as well - and I think the mp3 player might have been a cassette player in the original
[close]
. My memory is definitely getting worse!

Replies From View

Nah, it's just called a roll of old carpet in the new one.

Spoiler alert
The flying/magic carpet in the NES version enables you to pick up the King's crown from a very high cloud to complete the game.  In all the other versions, the King comes back and turns you into a prince once the flag is raised.  The NES version needs you to give him his crown as well.  I'm not too fussed about that - and actually think the flying carpet doesn't really fit the world particularly well (it's not Aladdin!), but other changes like the inclusion of the Yolkfolk make the world feel a lot bigger in a good way.  On the other hand, the evil Dizzy in the right-hand castle, with the great device of him mirroring your movements so you either cause him to turn the knob as you pick up the spanner, or make him walk onto the thorn, is replaced with an ogre that paces back and forth indiscriminately.  Defeating him is less interesting - he strides into the thorn more like the rat walking into the bread in Fantasy World Dizzy.  Maybe the ogre fits the fairytale theme better than an evil Dizzy, but since the flying carpet feels shoe-horned in anyway, they could have kept him.
[close]

Now I think about it, I imagine that the designated up-left and up-right buttons are to accommodate devices that aren't multi-touch.

madhair60

I tried the 128k Speccy version of Crystal Kingdom last night, and oh dear, it's a bit of an odd 'un.  Like RFV (can I call you that?) said earlier, it doesn't really feel right - the lack of a forward facing jump is really jarring.  Couldn't get the Amiga version to work in WinUAE, sadly.

Can someone remind me - you know how in Fantastic Dizzy, after you escape the first room there's a body of water to the left?  I could have sworn it was possible to get across there and collect some bonuses, but I got to Daisy and a solution didn't spring to mind.  Did I imagine it?

Jemble Fred

You can travel to the left there on the Amiga version, but not in the original game.

madhair60

That explains a lot.  Cheers JemFredCunt.

I decided to get DizzyAGE and make a Dizzy.

I accept the terms of the

I really like the Russian Dizzy hacks. They use the good engine, and put a lot of silly fun stuff in short games.

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0001408 for example. Good fun.

Replies From View

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on December 14, 2011, 03:50:57 PM
I really like the Russian Dizzy hacks. They use the good engine, and put a lot of silly fun stuff in short games.

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0001408 for example. Good fun.

This is true.  Complete with very authentic Speccy colour-clash, too.

I don't know how easy it is to get hold of Dizzy spectrum files now.  I managed to get hold of them plus more obscure ones like the Crash Special Editions and Dizzy 3.5 (as well as the Russian fan made ones above) before it became so much of a hassle, and they work well on my emulator.  If anyone wants them and it's fine for me to upload them somewhere, let me know.  I'm not sure what the mechanisms and permissions are for sharing things like this on cookdandbombd.

Replies From View

Replies From View

Following my previous post, I have found that this site has downloads to all the Spectrum Dizzy files you could wish for.  48k and 128k versions, Dizzy 3 and a Half ("Into Magicland"), as well as the freebie Crash Special Editions for Dizzy 1 and 2, and numerous fan-made hacks like the ones mentioned above:  http://www.emuparadise.me/roms/search.php?query=dizzy+z80&sysid=35

It still amazes me that the file sizes can be so small for games so big.  I hope posting that is okay and I haven't broken any forum rules?

Edit:  There are loads of different variations for each game, and I'm not certain what most of those things in brackets mean.  "Ru" indicates a Russian version, if I remember correctly.  If you're just wanting the standard, original 48k and 128k version of each game (and it is worth having both, I'd say, because the differences don't stop at the presence/absence of music), then just go for the most straightforward titles:  eg.  Dizzy II - Treasure Island Dizzy (1988)(Codemasters) ROM for the 48k and Dizzy II - Treasure Island Dizzy (1988)(Codemasters)(128k) ROM for the 128k.

mcbpete

The only Dizzy-eque game I've been able to complete is the Amiga PD pastiche - Wibble World Giddy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF7SbIJ0Ap4

Jemble Fred

Has anyone ever managed to get DizzyAGE games running on a Mac? I have Wine abd Winebottler, but every time I try and run the games from Yolkfolk.com I get this:

Massively frustrating, because the games sound so good.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jemble Fred on December 19, 2011, 02:26:07 PM
Has anyone ever managed to get DizzyAGE games running on a Mac? I have Wine abd Winebottler, but every time I try and run the games from Yolkfolk.com I get this:

Massively frustrating, because the games sound so good.

Exactly the same with me.  I ended up deleting Wine and Winebottler from my Mac because I couldn't resolve that problem.  If anybody has an easy solution please pass it on!

Jemble Fred

I can play some of the PC games on there – the non-Dizzy ones, and A Very Dizzy Xmas for instance – but it's just the DizzyAGE ones which crash. I posted on the Yolkfolk forum, but I'm guessing it's insurmountable, perhaps without an OSX update or a Wine upgrade.

Replies From View

Quote from: mcbpete on December 15, 2011, 07:08:30 PM
The only Dizzy-eque game I've been able to complete is the Amiga PD pastiche - Wibble World Giddy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF7SbIJ0Ap4

I have played (but not completed) Giddy 3, which is available to download for free for a lot of systems (including Mac) here:  http://www.giddy3.co.uk/

Definitely has the feel of an old-school 16 bit Dizzy game, and it doesn't even feel like a spoof (any more than Seymour did) because Dizzy already had that kind of humour in it anyway.  Dare I say it feels more in the spirit of the original Dizzy than the iPhone remake?

Replies From View

I wasn't sure I should post this here, but didn't want to start a new thread just for this.

30th anniversary of the ZX Spectrum today, and with it an anniversary Google header (also marking St. George's Day):

That's all!

KLG-7A

Quite nicely done, you have to give them that! They've respected colour clash, and it looks gimpy enough to be an actual title screen. And it's 256x192.

Replies From View

See, now you've mentioned title screens I have to post these as well (actually loading screens).

Quote from: Fantasy World Dizzy

madhair60

Dug my old childhood Spectrum out just a few weeks ago, and it worked perfectly. Running Head Over Heels on my flatscreen was a bizarre and beautiful experience. Digging through the huge box of tapes was a huge nostalgia rush, and rocking some Jet Set Willy actually made me feel a little bit emotional.

My introduction to gaming, and a sorely overlooked and underrated machine amongst my peers.

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on April 23, 2012, 10:22:08 AM
Dug my old childhood Spectrum out just a few weeks ago, and it worked perfectly. Running Head Over Heels on my flatscreen was a bizarre and beautiful experience. Digging through the huge box of tapes was a huge nostalgia rush, and rocking some Jet Set Willy actually made me feel a little bit emotional.

My introduction to gaming, and a sorely overlooked and underrated machine amongst my peers.

The only way I've played Spectrum games since the late 80s / early 90s is through emulation.  My friend had a 48k Spectrum back in the day which meant sound and music was limited, and the humming of the various equipment defined the whole experience.  I can't imagine I'd find a flat screen TV managing quite the same nostalgic rush as a buzzing, flickering CRT set would do.

Really amazed and pleased that your tapes are playing fine.  I'd fear that there's something of a built-in lifespan with those.

Replies From View

Quote from: KLG-7A on April 23, 2012, 10:23:50 AM

:D

Getting that far to the left, and then being able to defeat the dragon to the right - that felt like level-boss type progress to me.

My friend and I hoped we'd be able to get to that island even further to the left by jumping onto Dozy like he was some kind of platform.  Never worked; lost loads of lives trying.

Funny thing was you could let Dozy bob away in the water for a bit, go to the screen on the right, then return and find him still in exactly the same place!

Replies From View

There's a little bug on the first screen, the part with the rat.  When you drop the bread, it triggers the "event" that the rat will eat the loaf and scarper upon touching where the bread was placed.  This remains the case even when you pick the bread back up, and having realised this my friend and I wasted a good amount of time trying to find a use in the game for the spare loaf.  Wasn't one.

In the end we would always put the spare bread over the gap where the rat had escaped, in case he felt like coming back at any point for more.

ALERT, ALERT!

THE C64 VERSION HAD BOLLOCKSY
COLOURED STUFF AROUND THE EDGE
FOR NO REASON!

ALSO, HAVING TRANSPARENT EYES
IS RUBBISH COMPARED TO COLOUR CLASH!

madhair60

Quote from: Replies From View on April 23, 2012, 10:26:55 AMI can't imagine a flat screen TV would manage quite the same nostalgic rush as a CRT set would do.

Not quite, but I don't have one anymore. :( Still an awesome experience.

KLG-7A

Using Amiga Workbench just isn't the same without the visual signal leaking out of its band in the RF and causing a buzzing sound on the TV when you had too much white on screen. You'd think that an RF modulator so massive that it hangs four inches out of the back of the machine would be able to do its job.

Quote from: Replies From View on April 23, 2012, 10:30:20 AMMy friend and I hoped we'd be able to get to that island even further to the left by jumping onto Dozy like he was some kind of platform.  Never worked; lost loads of lives trying.
This was something I was thinking about a couple of days ago. When I played games I used to (unreasonably) hope to get to locations pictured in the background. I wanted to drive to those mountains in Out Run and do my shopping or something. That was a key part of my enjoyment of old games; I could project my imagination on the details that weren't filled in and build up a fictional world behind the gameplay. As I got older and realised that the mountains were just pictures I could at least still imagine.

Newer games often (but not always) have those details filled in and I'm not sure if it's always better (sometimes it is!).