Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,471
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:13:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Late night short films you will never see again.

Started by astrozombie, December 09, 2011, 06:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbed_attic

I'm definitely creating a contradiction in terms with this response, but I'm sure the film has produced precisely this sensation, implanted like some bitter seed at 4.00 a.m. on some station or another. It's by the lovely fellow who brought us Hausu (Nobuhiko Obayashi) and it's about cooking!

Interestingly, I misremembered it at first as being directed by Shinya Tsukamoto of Tetsuo fame. Perhaps both are Cronenberg fans!

gmoney

I remember one shown on BBC2 (I think) that involved a woman using love eggs and going to work with them in. I believe she rode the O-train in her office. Any ideas what this might have been? It's for a friend.

mothman

I remember what was I think the original Shooting Gallery back in '95/'96, round about then, usually it went on half the bight so recording it was necessary even if I was unemployed at the time. Lots of weird stuff on there, but the thing that I always remember (with a tinge of horror, it makes me think of how bleak my life was back then) was the jangling discordant guitar theme for Shooting Gallery itself.

The only one I remember was a short called Moment.

Phil_A

As well as The Shooting Gallery, there was also the Dope Sheet animation strand, which looking back was a pretty incredible format - a half hour documentary followed by several hours of largely uninterrupted animated shorts. I think that was the first time I was exposed to animators like Jan Svankmajer, Priit Parn and Yuri Norstein, which was mind-blowing stuff to me then. I remember skiving off 6th form college(this would've been in '98) so I could finish watching A Tale of Tales.

Icehaven

I remember one from the mid-late 80s, about a bloke who gets stuck in a red telephone box, several people try to open the door but can't, then a truck turns up and takes the box with him in it to a big warehouse full of telephone boxes with skeletons in, and leaves it there.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: icehaven on February 05, 2012, 09:04:03 AM
I remember one from the mid-late 80s, about a bloke who gets stuck in a red telephone box, several people try to open the door but can't, then a truck turns up and takes the box with him in it to a big warehouse full of telephone boxes with skeletons in, and leaves it there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_cabina

is the film you're on about, it seems. Available, sans subtitles, here.

Tiny Poster

I remember the love egg one, but I think she was a teacher and it was on Channel 4.

One I remember from C4 starred that young Daniel Peacock-a-like who may have been is Press Gang as a young bloke eager to join the family trade - contract killing. He's having a good old laugh with his beloved uncle, but TWIST his dad locks him in room with the uncle all tied up, and tells him this is his test. He looks all conflicted but then comes out of the room with blood all over his white tuxedo. I neglected to mention that they were all at some do. 

Quote from: Tiny Poster on February 06, 2012, 01:03:03 AM
One I remember from C4 starred that young Daniel Peacock-a-like who may have been is Press Gang as a young bloke eager to join the family trade - contract killing. He's having a good old laugh with his beloved uncle, but TWIST his dad locks him in room with the uncle all tied up, and tells him this is his test. He looks all conflicted but then comes out of the room with blood all over his white tuxedo. I neglected to mention that they were all at some do.

That sounded a bit like an episode from Channel 5's horror anthology 'Urban Gothic';
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0738065/

Don_Preston

A few years ago BBC4 had a run of short Spanish horror films. One that shook me up was about a mirror that allowed you to travel into an evil parallel universe.

Featured a moment where the wife checks under the bed and her husband, complete with glowing eyes, was sat under there. A shit-yer-pants moment there.

Sandow

I don't suppose any of you recall what I think was an ITV Children's film from the late 80s/early 90s about a kid that gets involved in some kind of psychedelic cult? The cult members, mainly women as I remember it, wore typical 60s fashion, and there was lots of trippy camera angles and cheap effects. He also had a fat sister that sat around eating crisps. Probably had a cheap video-tape look to it. Might have been Dramarama but there's shit all information about specific episodes out there on your internet.

Thanks for the La Cabana link. Great little film.

mcbpete

One I'd love to see again was the short film/drama featuring Alan Cumming called Burn You Phone ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0186905/ ). It was on BBC1 or BBC2 and featured a guy (Cumming ... no not a guy cumming you dirty boy) in a directory enquiries/switchboard type place slowly getting more and frantic from a mixture of constant inane calls,999 emergencies and eventually a stalker. It was set just in the one room but remember the pacing of the thing was incredible.

No luck on Youtube or Google Video though ....

Melody Lee

'The Cicerones', directed by Jeremy Dyson. I probably will see it again at some point, it's just hard to access. Unfortunately the BFI Screenonline site will only let me watch it if I'm at one of their registered schools, colleges or universities. Gah.
It was dreamlike and very eerie, if I remember correctly. Unsettling viewing, especially as I saw it at something like 2am while I was half-awake.

One from Shooting Gallery... a couple driving in their people carrier along a quiet country road through some woods, only to be forced off the road by a deer. They crash into a tree in the woods and when the woman wakes several hours later she finds her boyfriend/husband dead at the wheel next to her - the last thing they did before crashing was to hold hands tightly.
Rigor mortis has set in and she's stuck next to him. So...
Spoiler alert
she uses some of the broken glass from the windshield to cut the flesh from his arm and forces the steering wheel lock between the two bones of his forearm; twisting it until the bones break in order to free herself. Very grisly stuff!
[close]

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

I once saw something called Do You Have The Shine, which for full awful effect I saw in a Swedish hotel room at midnight. It was basically a retelling of the twins-in-the-corridor scene from the Shining, but as a recording of someone playing an arcade game. In the game (it's supposed to be you playing it), you play Danny from a first-person perspective as he moves around the corridors of the hotel and every time he turns a corner there's a random chance of the twins appearing. To avoid them you can close your eyes, but you can only close your eyes a set number of times so you have to guess based on your instincts. It's on Youtube I believe, so I suppose I will see it again. But ARGH.

her?

Quote from: astrozombie on December 09, 2011, 06:55:27 PM
It was on BBC2 and basically it was a Christmas themed short. It started off with a recently widowed man living alone whose spending Christmas with his son and daughter who have both been away studying. Everything is hunky dory and their waiting on a visit from an Uncle. He turns up and he's very loud, leary and generally annoying and as a gift has brought them a pet goat. The Father goes upstairs to get some peace and the son and daughter go into the living room. The Father whilst upstairs goes into the airing cupboard and unravels his dead wife which he robbed from a graveyard and begins to have sex with it/her. The son and daughter begin to have bumping incestual fanny fun and it is starkly revealed that this isn't your normal Christmas. The final shot is of the Uncle bumming the goat.

This is real. I remember sitting down and watching this with my mouth open mouthed in awe. Anyone know what this is? It only entered my memory again when I found that short film video.

I remember seeing this! Must have been at least 12 years ago? My brain tells me that Emma Pierson was in it although my brain is frequently unreliable. Unfortunately I have no idea what it was called but it shocked me when I saw it and I've never forgotten it.

Phil_A

Quote from: her? on March 08, 2012, 01:00:50 PM
I remember seeing this! Must have been at least 12 years ago? My brain tells me that Emma Pierson was in it although my brain is frequently unreliable. Unfortunately I have no idea what it was called but it shocked me when I saw it and I've never forgotten it.

I think you might be right on the Pierson - could it be this one?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393912/

her?

That's it! Well done my brain. Although I did get the year wrong and forgot Simon Greenall was in it.