Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:12:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[Football] England Vs France

Started by mayer, June 13, 2004, 09:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king mob

Quote from: "Mediocre Rich"I think the only thing for it is to give Gary the arm band and get Phil in the center to boss the midfield.

Oooooo, i dont think the idea of Big Phil Neville-Midfield General is realistic at a international level, Zindane would have turned him inside out last night had he played, to play the game at the level of France ,England need players of skill, not a pondering lump like Big Phil Neville.

As for Gary, how can you have a captain who cant shave properly?

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "hotvans"
Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"Ah well.  That's what happens when you pick Bluenoses.
oh yeah - cos like vassell did well didnt he? not
Yes, he did. Piss off.

Quote from: "Mediocre Rich"Think about what your saying there VM for a minute.
Never gonna happen.

Ee, don't football get yer dander up? Should be banned really.

hencole

I prefer a nice gentlemens game of Hockey. None of this prima dona shite.

I appreciated this article.  Good to know I'm not the only one that sees it all.

Quote from: "`A Correspondent'"AS PAUL SCHOLES brought the Eiffel Tower that is Patrick Vieira crashing to the ground early in the second half, earning his obligatory yellow card, the garrulous Sir Bobby Robson made what might turn out to be his most insightful comment of Euro 2004: "He quite enjoyed that." Put that attitude together with his sharp-eyed passing in the early stages, and you have the reason why Scholes should be in the team for the rest of England 's tournament.

[...]

Scholes remains England's most technically gifted creative midfield player. Without him England, like United, could be left looking predictable, safe and sterile. To drop Scholes would be to admit defeat, to say that we cannot compete with the continentals for touch or finesse, and must revert to the traditional English virtues of huffing and puffing.

I love you, Paul, and I won't let them hurt us.

Ooh, this is interesting....

Quote from: "Someone at [iThe Times[/i]"]England's threat of expulsion from the European Championships if their fans misbehave appeared to recede on Sunday when UEFA president Lennart Johansson handed the Football Association his full backing. Johansson admitted his own organisation had been wrong earlier this week to intimate that the FA would be wholly responsible for the behaviour of all supporters and as such would be hit with the ultimate sanction if matters got out of control. The UEFA president stopped short of ruling out the possibility of a ban but accepted the FA had done all it could to prevent trouble. Four arrests were reported in Lisbon on the eve of England's Euro 2004 opener against France. Johansson told BBC Radio Five Live's Sportsweek: "I will confirm that we are very happy with all the preventative steps taken and the FA seem to have things under control as much as you can expect. We are speculating on something which we haven't seen. But we shouldn't blame the team or the FA for what the hooligans are doing."Johansson's view - which he admitted directly contradicted UEFA's suggestion last week that the FA would be held responsible - will be welcomed by FA bosses at Soho Square. The threat of ejection has been a worst case scenario hanging over England's heads since the last European Championships four years ago. Johansson added: "We have to be realistic and we are prepared for these things. We know that those concerned know how to handle it so we shouldn't be concerned. I don't think we will have any big problems."

Almost Yearly

I can't let it lie can I. Sorry.

Yeah, Scholes was just fine. He was personally responsible for both waves of our first real finding-our-feet attack: he was the one who first went "Right," and without that I think France would've scored at around the 17 minute mark (which I had in the sweep). Owen wasn't at all bad either, despite what the "slag 'em all off" idiots around me are saying - the tight marking which reduced him to a pulling and pushing game helped to get Rooney his bits of space. Let's remember the french defensive record shall we. Perhaps though one day Vassell will get a chance to show what he can do with more than ten minutes on the pitch.

I thought we dealt very nicely with Vieira throughout. He was on his arse plenty.

Once again, we were pretty bloody good. It's just Sven & Beckham's post-match Newspeak which annoys me. No Sven, we were not unlucky, we spazzed it at the last. No Becks, a well struck penalty goes past the keeper. Do your jobs better.

Purple Tentacle

Is it a good idea to take a penalty against a keeper that has trained with you for a year and is fairly au fait with your kicking habits?

thatmuch

Quote from: "5 Knuckle Shuffle"
Quote from: "Borboski"
What with it being english commentary I can't complain too much, but compared to the bbc's coverage SHITV are so partisan it starts to grate. I can't stand Desmond's knowing looks to the camera as if to say;

"Eh! All you pikeys at home! Get ready to start shouting racial slurs!"

Of course it's going to be partisan. It's a British station cheering on a British team, what do you expect you idiot! If you want complete partisan commentating listen to the Brazilian presenters, or indeed the Norwegian commentator in 1981 when they beat England 2-1. Every single country is guilty of it, and England are no exception.
Oh, by the way, your beloved Desmond is actually Irish, born in Ennis, County Clare.

English tv has got a lot worse over the last ten years or so, constantly telling us what we are thinking and what our reactions should be - 'organising street-parties' according to Clive Tyldsley (if England had won). The overtly tub-thumping commentary is a recent thing and it fucks me off.
I wanted France to win because they were the only team that was trying to play football. I expect commentators to be biased towards the home team, but in a controlled way. Barry Davies is like that but he doesn't get the biggest matches even though he's a true football-lover and has an excellent knowledge of the non-english game.

I've never been happy with Beckham as our cheif penalty taker, despite the fact that he scored his first 5.  His action seems easy to predict I think, and he's got no variation in how to wallop it - unlike Henry who'll dink it, spank it, stroke it etc.

I picked only picked him for my Fantasy team because he's the penalty taker, he gets one in the first game, and misses the fucker.

Make me smile

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Is it a good idea to take a penalty against a keeper that has trained with you for a year and is fairly au fait with your kicking habits?

works the other way though doesn't it. barthez favours his right side, even i could have told beckham that.

zidane showed how a pen should be taken, it was absolutely unstoppable.

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "PT"Is it a good idea to take a penalty against a keeper that has trained with you for a year and is fairly au fait with your kicking habits?

I think the whole world's fairly au fait with Beckham's habits in general.

But no.

I've just realised that his "well struck" comment might allude to that Turkish kick. As in: "At least I didn't fall over the ball this time." The cock.

Mediocre Rich

I thinks it's fair to say we are all agreed that Gary Neville should have taken the pen rather than that prancing tit.

Quote from: "Make me smile"zidane showed how a pen should be taken, it was absolutely unstoppable.

If I wasn't so miserable, I would've laughed at Clive Tyldsley's commentary, which was something like:

QuoteZinedine Zindane against David James - who will be the winner...

Ooh, don't tell me, I know this one...

gazzyk1ns

Good job we bought Heskey on yesterday wasn't it, we were playing really dodgily but he really cemented the team, the French couldn't deal with his quick-footed skills. Rooney was playing terribly too, good job we got him off. With heskey's record of great strikes and then back tracking to defend solidly I think he should start every game.

Seriously, why the hell is that clumsy toss-head in the squad? We do it here in Ipswich with Richard Naylor too, consistently playing someone who is clearly unfit to be called a professional footballer.

I don't mind so much about Gerrard's slip-up, it was costly but... everyone is going to do that once every hundred games.

Make me smile

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"
Quote from: "Make me smile"zidane showed how a pen should be taken, it was absolutely unstoppable.

If I wasn't so miserable, I would've laughed at Clive Tyldsley's commentary, which was something like:

QuoteDouglas Bader against David James - who will be the winner...

Ooh, don't tell me, I know this one...

despite my dislike of James I will admit he did have a good game. I thought lots of Zidane's long strikes would be bouncing off him to Henry but that wasn't the case. That said, he wasn't tested that much, which is testement to our defending. Although he didnt have a choice I do wish he hadn't lynched Henry *quite* so spectacularly though!

Peking O

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"I thought we dealt very nicely with Vieira throughout. He was on his arse plenty.

Vieira was man of the match for me. England need a player like that, and while many think that Gerrard is the man, in reality he's nowhere near Vieira. Zidane's  goals illustrate exactly why he will be remembered as one of the all time greats. Whenever France need a moment of inspiration, Zidane always does the business. Even when his teammates dropped their heads, the sweaty bald bastard somehow got his sizeable arse in gear and pulled it off.

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Quote from: "thatmuch"
I wanted France to win because they were the only team that was trying to play football.

I'll ask just one question. Are you Scottish?

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "hotvans"
Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"Ah well.  That's what happens when you pick Bluenoses.
oh yeah - cos like vassell did well didnt he? not

Well, Wayne, Vassell got himself in a great scoring position if Rooney had crossed, he twatted Barthez in the face and worried the French defence with his pace.

Oh, and he didn't give the French a free-kick a couple of yards outside his own penalty area a couple of minutes into injury time.

So, for the 15-20 minutes he was on, he did quite well.

Borboski

Quote from: "5 Knuckle Shuffle"
Quote from: "Borboski"
What with it being english commentary I can't complain too much, but compared to the bbc's coverage SHITV are so partisan it starts to grate. I can't stand Desmond's knowing looks to the camera as if to say;

"Eh! All you pikeys at home! Get ready to start shouting racial slurs!"

Of course it's going to be partisan. It's a British station cheering on a British team, what do you expect you idiot! If you want complete partisan commentating listen to the Brazilian presenters, or indeed the Norwegian commentator in 1981 when they beat England 2-1. Every single country is guilty of it, and England are no exception.
Oh, by the way, your beloved Desmond is actually Irish, born in Ennis, County Clare.

Oh knickers to you - don't you agree that the ITV footage is MORE partisan than the beeb and even Sky Sports? That there can be varying degrees of partisanship? Like I said in my post, "what with it being english commentary I can't complain too much".

A ha ha ha I laugh in the face of you petty nationalists! Rise above it like me - the pleasure gained from watching a team supported by thugs and pikeys flail out tournament after tournament is much greater than that gained from supporting them.

I used to hide this feeling because i felt guilty no more! Allez les france! Whose next? Should i stock up on Swiss cheese or Croatian... er... shrapnel and mines?

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuoteOh, and he didn't give the French a free-kick a couple of yards outside his own penalty area a couple of minutes into injury time.

*bangs head repeatedely against nearby wall*

No he didn't, neither did Heskey in all fairness. It was Lampard and Gerrard's fault, with Scholes and Goldenfucktoys partly to blame.

It's like asking a blind man to keep watch at the fortress, whilst the deaf one listens in on enemy chatter, whilst the fully-operating ones run away to play chess in a thicket.

Borboski

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"
QuoteOh, and he didn't give the French a free-kick a couple of yards outside his own penalty area a couple of minutes into injury time.

No he didn't, neither did Heskey in all fairness. It was Lampard and Gerrard's fault, with Scholes and Goldenfucktoys partly to blame.

It's like asking a blind man to keep watch at the fortress, whilst the deaf one listens in on enemy chatter, whilst the fully-operating ones run away to play chess in a thicket.

I thought it was big lumbering Heskey that chopped him down with a 9 stone leg swipe under his armpit. WHACK!

chand

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"No he didn't, neither did Heskey in all fairness. It was Lampard and Gerrard's fault, with Scholes and Goldenfucktoys partly to blame.

Yeah, I blamed Scholes for both goals as well, the daft cunt. He did fuck-all for the last 14 minutes, it was almost as if he'd been substituted for Owen Hargreaves or something.

mangoliver

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Heskey and whether he gets undeserved criticism or not, that tackle was just plain stupid. He made the initial stupid mistake that cost England. Without that tackle there wouldn't have been a chance for David James to show the tactical nous of an paraletic sunday morning keeper or Steven Gerard to lose his mind temporarily. Most of the time the criticism of Heskey goes over the top. But yesterday he made a moronic mistake and deserves all the flak coming his way.

Heskey is the player all England fans love to hate, he's singled out for far more criticism than any other player. Unfortunatley there is a reason for this, the reason being he is fucking terrible. I'm sorry but 9 times out of ten he's a timid, soft, skilless, moronic clogger who carries less goal threat than any striker I can think of.

The thing is occasionally he does get his arse in gear and put humself about a bit and use his size/strength well. Just makes it all the more frustrating to put up with his appalling feebleness the rest of the time though.

Bilko

Quote from: "chand"
Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"No he didn't, neither did Heskey in all fairness. It was Lampard and Gerrard's fault, with Scholes and Goldenfucktoys partly to blame.

Yeah, I blamed Scholes for both goals as well, the daft cunt. He did fuck-all for the last 14 minutes, it was almost as if he'd been substituted for Owen Hargreaves or something.
Hehehehe, Scholes shot Kennedy and mastermined the 9-11 attacks as well, in fact Scholes is to blame for everything that has gone wrong in the history of civilisation.

Hornet

Had to chuckle today at the Guardian Sports supplement where they have a "Scapegoat" rating for the defeat on Sunday.  Predictably Gerrard gets 5 out of 5 for THAT backpass, as does Heskey for the foul which led to the first goal.  
Owen gets 2 "goats" for, well, basically doing fuck all!

Just shows though that the broadsheets put the boot in just as much (if not more effectively) than the tabloids.

king mob

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"

Were you watching the game in some distant but still near parallel  universe where you seem to be the only person who draws such conclusions?

butnut

Someone just sent this email to me - sorry if you've already heard it:

QuoteWhy do the English make better lovers then the French?

Because they can stay on top for 90 minutes and still come 2nd

bom bom

mayer

a fantastic article from the BBC on England

said everything i was thinking, only better

linky

QuoteThink of Sven's greatest triumphs as England coach and they follow the same pattern. The win over Argentina in the World Cup, the draw against Turkey in Istanbul last October - both were the same as 91 minutes of the match against France.

In the Sapporo Dome, England let Argentina come at them in wave after wave, nicked a penalty on the break and held on by getting 10 men behind the ball at all times.

In Istanbul, it was the same. The scoreline would even have been perfectly reprised had Beckham not skied his penalty high over the bar.

Against France, history was repeating itself - a goal stolen from a set-piece, a magnificent defensive performance on the edge of the penalty box and a penalty won on the break.

Even the 5-1 thrashing of Germany in 2001 was a counter-attacking display, Gerrard's goal coming from a set-piece and the last three from quick breakaways as Germany threw men forward.

The difficulties start when England have to chase a game.

What was England's most disappointing game under Eriksson? The flaccid loss to Brazil in the World Cup quarter-finals, when England failed to create a chance in the final 35 minutes.

At 2-1 down to Greece in their final World Cup qualifier, England almost went a similar way, until Teddy Sheringham went down 30 yards out and David Beckham stepped up to save the day with that free-kick.

England need to win at least one of their two remaining games. And that means playing a more attacking, riskier style of football than Eriksson would like.

but read the whole thing. it's spot on.