Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:04:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Top 10 Favourite Albums of All Time, Ever!: The Thread

Started by danyulx, December 10, 2011, 12:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paaaaul

Quote from: Entropy Balsmalch on December 22, 2015, 12:59:02 PM
ALBEMS ARE FOR LOSERS!

I'm going to do a "Top 100 Spotify Playlists off all time!" thread.

#1 Chill
#2 Jogging Choons
#3 Top Gear approved driving songs
#4 Friday Night!
#5 I [heart] the 80s
#6 The eight funk songs I've heard to look cool when my mate comes round

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: Paaaaul on December 22, 2015, 01:05:30 PM
#1 Chill
#2 Jogging Choons
#3 Top Gear approved driving songs
#4 Friday Night!
#5 I [heart] the 80s
#6 The eight funk songs I've heard to look cool when my mate comes round

You missed my favouite; My Playlist.

Norton Canes

Weirdly, despite having a predilection for making music mixes and lists in general, I've never officially codified my top ten albums. The 'one album per artist' rule kind of makes it more a list of top 10 favourite artists though, doesn't it?

Whatevs, time to get an official ten together I guess. Turns out though it's not easy. I've got a definite favourite album ever, that's not a problem, it's by my favourite band, it's been my favourite album ever since it was released and it's highly unlikely that's going to change. Then there are the best albums by my other three all-time favourite bands, these albums definitely get a top-ten place for sure. So far so good.

After that it becomes difficult. For one thing, I don't tend to re-visit albums that often. Even the ones mentioned already, the ones that have been my favourites for years, only occasionally get hauled off the CD shelf. The vast majority of music I listen to these days is new stuff – not because I'm an inveterately cool hipster (although I am), more that I think I'm moderately paranoid about slipping into middle-age conservatism. There aren't really any albums that have soundtracked important moments of my life either, so I can't chose anything because it has emotional resonance. And I don't really go for music that features deeply personal lyrics, so I'm not going to be picking stuff by, say, Morrissey or Bob Dylan because it 'speaks to me'.

Also, there's a big difference between 'best' albums and 'favourite' albums. I've got plenty of favourite albums that I would never claim to be among the 'best' albums ever... in as much as one can never objectively measure the quality of music etc etc.

I can't help thinking I am over-analysing what it essentially a simple task. Let's just go for it, eh.

The best album ever:

Depeche Mode - Black Celebration (1986)

The best album ever. Depeche Mode enter their imperial phase. Martin's songwriting hits a sweet spot and Dave flourishes in his role as vocalist but crucially, producer Daniel Miller takes the trademark sound developed over the band's previous couple of albums to a stratospheric level. Synthesizers and found sounds combine to form an exquisitely sable backdrop to the eleven tracks. Electronic music has never sounded more captivating and enthralling.

For the record (aha ha), Black Celebration includes the best opening three tracks of any album, the best segue of any two tracks (Fly On The Windscreen/A Question Of Lust), the second best segue of any two tracks (Black Celebration/Fly On The Windscreen) and the title track features the best ever intro.

If it wasn't for the one album per band limit: Violator would also be at the top end of this list.

The best albums by my three other favourite artists ever:

Autechre - LP5 (1998)

Occupies the perfect space on the threshold of the band's nascent glitchy, 'difficult' direction and the more conventionally melodic electronica of their early albums. Hadn't heard any Autechre before this, it completely blew me away on the first listen like no other album before or since. Glorious.

If it wasn't for the one album per band limit: Tri Repeate might also figure.

Orbital - The Middle Of Nowhere (1999)

Not the most feted of Orbital's long players, but I love the brashness of The Middle Of Nowhere, coming after the more restrained IDM-suffused techno of the previous couple of albums. I have a theory that in a grand prog rock kind of way the album soundtracks a descent into mental breakdown, with each track representing a different facet of insanity:

Way Out → - delusions of happiness (the warm brass and strings)
Spare Parts Express - multiple personality disorder (I think this was originally three tracks that the band eventually decided to graft together. Plus the genuinely disturbing sample and number one hair prickling on back of neck moment, "Why won't anybody hear me?!")
Know Where to Run - schizophrenia (voices in the radio broadcast stuff at the start)
I Don't Know You People - paranoia ("I don't know you people. What are you doing here?")
Otoño – depression (Otoño is Portuguese for Autumn. "And after that... I want nothing at all")
Nothing Left parts 1 & 2 - mania (the demented laughter)

If it wasn't for the one album per band limit: Not sure. A split vote between the Brown album, Snivilisation and In Sides.

Broadcast - Haha Sound (2003)

For some reason it seems to get overlooked in favour of The Noise Made By People and Tender Buttons when Broadcast get airplay, but for me Haha Sound's blend of krautrock precision and fuzzy melodies represent the pinnacle of Broadcast's many styles.

If it wasn't for the one album per band limit: The Noise Made By People would surely be in with a chance.

Brilliant albums by artists who aren't my other favourite artists ever:

Chemical Brothers - Push The Button (2005)

I could maybe have gone for Dig Your Own Hole, but it's a little too much in thrall to the big beat style of its era (though it does it many magnitudes better than anyone else) and it's got Noel Gallagher on it, and no album with Noel Gallagher on it is getting within an astronomical unit of my all-time top ten. Anyway Push The Button is, by contrast, far more sleek, sinuous and sophisticated than any of the Chemical  Brothers' previous efforts . 

Front 242 - Front By Front (1988)

In amongst a slew of other bands loosely grouped under the 'industrial' genre, Front 242 were my biggest obsession. Many people saw them as un-ironically grim and humourless but I warmed to the comical streak in their stern disposition. Tempted to choose Tyranny For You instead, but Front By Front pioneered the stripped-back style that Tyranny For You merely embellished. Cavernous, relentless, rigid industrial beats adorned by impenetrable lyrics delivered with deadpan Teutonic inflexion, mmm yes... that hits the spot.

The Art of Noise - Who's Afraid of the Art of Noise? (1984)

It has to be in the list, it just has to. Apart from a couple of Adam and the Ants LPs a few years previously (oh and Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds), this was the first album I bought and it I played it practically every day for weeks, if not months on end. It was my gateway into electronic music and it sounds every bit as brilliant now as it did back then.

Meat Beat Manifesto - Satyricon (1992)

I guess this warrants a place, I really like Jack Dangers' stuff and this was the best album he did as MBM, the trademark brutal breakbeats but with a few tunes thrown in and liberal samples from Dark Star that give the whole thing a kind of cosmic importance. My vinyl copy's stashed in the garage but plenty of the tracks get a regular airing on YouTube.

Erasure - The Circus (1987)

Oh look what the flip, how can I not have an Erasure album here? Along with Depeche Mode they were my Mute double-whammy for the best part of ten years, from the mid-80's to the mid-90's. When Vince Clark is on form, as he was for practically the whole of that period, pop music simply does not get any better. I could have picked The Innocents, Chorus or I Say I Say I Say but while those albums all contain a couple of underwhelming songs, The Circus is pretty much perfect.

After that... I genuinely don't know. There are half a dozen or so contenders for the last spot, albums of exceptional quality but with no special reason for being top 10. Bjork's Debut for instance is wonderful and got a lot of love, as did Massive Attacks' Mezzanine and Amon Tobin's Out From Out Where. Looking thorough my CD shelf there are some other wildcard albums that stick out, like Salt Peter by Lesley Rankine in her Ruby guise and DJ Hell's sanity-scrambling N.Y. Muscle. And of course there's nothing on the list from the last ten years. I've checked my downloads for each year from 2006 onwards and again, bags of fine albums but nothing that's made the sort of formative impression on me that LPs from the 80's and 90's did. All the same, I could easily justify the inclusion of The Knife's Silent Shout, or Music Go Music's Expressions, or British Sea Power's Open Season, or Rachel Stevens' Come and Get It, or Belbury Poly's From An Ancient Star, or Mirrors' Lights and Offerings, or...

Look. Perhaps the best thing would be to stick at nine entries, and retire the number the number 10 spot as a reminder that there'll always be space for another cherished long player.

Depeche Mode - Black Celebration (1986)
Autechre - LP5 (1998)
Orbital - The Middle Of Nowhere (1999)
Broadcast - Haha Sound (2003)
Chemical Brothers - Push The Button (2005)
Front 242 - Front By Front (1988)
The Art of Noise - Who's Afraid of the Art of Noise? (1984)
Meat Beat Manifesto – Satyricon (1992)
Erasure – The Circus (1987)
Various artists – all the other albums I've ever liked or like now or will like in the future (1968-?)

Entropy Balsmalch

While musically I adore both Erasure and Depeche Mode, lyrically they are so bad as to make listening to them in my older years almost impossible.

It's like I always wonder with Queen fans - musically incredible, but you're hearing the same lyrics as the rest of us yes?

Petey Pate

thraxx

If we define favorite as the albums that you have listened to most then I suppose mine are:

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Bwyd Time.
Perrey and Kingsley - Kaleidoscopic Vibrations: Spotlight on the Moog.
FSOL - Dead Cities
Boards of Canada - Music has the right to children
Stone Roses - Second Coming.  This is at best an mediocre albut, but I must have listened to it 100s and 100s of times.
Broadcast - The Noise Made by People.  (In reality Broadcast would have 5 records in this list)
Tindersticks - Tindersticks II
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
MSP - The Holy Bible.  (Strange that loads of people have gone for this).  The first half of gold against the soul could have gone on this list.
Dr Dooom - First Come, First Served.
Depeche Mode - Violator

I know that's eleven, but I do basically only listen to those eleven records.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: thraxx on December 22, 2015, 07:20:33 PM
Stone Roses - Second Coming.  This is at best an mediocre album, but I must have listened to it 100s and 100s of times.
Me too. If I had to guess the album I've heard the most times, it'd probably be that, just because in a variety of shared houses it was one of a tiny handful of records me and my housemates agreed on.

chand

Ten albums of varying quality that are hugely important to me:

1. Hood - 'Cold House'
An album I've listened to at least every couple of months for the past fourteen years. It has a very specific kind of yearning and melancholy to it that hits some weirdly precise spot inside me. The title and the cover fit the music perfectly, it's an album for long winters and nights that drag. This has variously been my heartbreak album, my hangover album, and just my outright fave. Hood are/were a weirdly ramshackle band with a singer who pretty much literally can't sing, and their back catalogue is filled with stuff that sounds like demos, some of them terrible, but their last four albums were great and this is pretty much where it all came together perfectly (though 'Closure' off 'Outside Closer' is my favourite song of theirs). Sort of a fusion of indie, electronica and post-rock, but not as shitty as that sentence sounds.

2. Baths - 'Obsidian'
Another album that came out of nowhere and surprised the shit out of me. I'd really liked 'Cerulean' but this was something else entirely. It was recorded as Will Wiesenfeld was convalescing from a serious illness, and as a result there's a strong obsession with death running through it, and loads of deeply personal lyrics. It resonated with me during a time when I was struggling with my own mental health, and I found it weirdly comforting. But while it's sort of depressing it still sort of...bangs? It's got hooks and choruses and loads of deft flourishes to it and I love every note of it.

3. Mogwai - 'Young Team'
The album that truly got me into instrumental music, and made me understand that not everything can be said with words. 'Mogwai Fear Satan' in particular is an astonishing piece of music. When I write music I sometimes over-clutter and worry about my riffs being too simplistic, but then I remember that that incredible song is built on a basic foundation of like three fucking notes.

4. Deftones - 'White Pony'
Deftones forever the anomaly in my record collection, I listen to very little shouty rock/metal music that isn't Deftones, but they're essentially my favourite band. 'White Pony' remains the one record I would take on a desert island from them, but pretty much all of them mean something to me (I have a weirdly particular affinity to 'Saturday Night Wrist', arguably their shittiest album). Deftones have a specific sound that no other band can replace for me.

5. Mono - 'Under The Pipal Tree'
An album I bought on a whim from a local indie shop based on its own blurb from the record label. I put it on for the first time when I was cleaning my bedroom, and a couple of minutes into the opening song I stopped everything, sat down and just listened. Which I almost never do. Possibly the best live band I ever saw too, in terms of the scale of noise and emotion.

6. Bear Vs Shark - 'Terrorhawk'
A shouty post-hardcore record which just fucking nailed it somehow. Really well structured and paced, it goes from frantic to reflective at the right times and it makes me want to be in a really fucking angry band.

7. Joanna Newsom - 'Ys'
A sweepingly majestic record that I once listened to on repeat in an airport for fuck knows how long. It's kind of like a Disney film without any pictures, and even having liked her previous record, this one surprised the shit out of me.

8. Madvillain - 'Madvillainy'
I honestly have no idea how many times I've listened to this, but I reckon it's in the region of a bajillion and one times. There's so much going on in this one, 20-something tracks including the dreaded skits and instrumental buffer tracks and stuff, yet it still feels weirdly tight and none of the tracks outstay their welcome.

9. Smashing Pumpkins - 'Siamese Dream'
At the tail end of the 90s these guys became my favourite band. Corgan remains the world's biggest dickhead, but the Pumpkins taught me that, sometimes, we need dickheads. Pretentiousness is always frowned upon in music, but I'm all in favour of people reaching for the moon and making the most ambitious music they can. All of which would probably be a better thing to say about 'Mellon Collie...', but nevertheless this is my favourite Pumpkins record and the one I tried to learn every note of on the guitar.

10. St Vincent - 'Strange Mercy'
Arguably surpassed by her recent self-titled, this album is close to my heart because I bought it shortly prior to finding myself living alone in my brother's loft for several months. This is one of about 30 albums I shoved in a box to take with me, and I fell more in love with it with each listen. It's quite a restrained record, it sounds very clean and nothing is on it that doesn't need to be.

justin_bennett

Saw the thread title and quickly wrote down my 10 without looking at anyone else's in case of undue influence.

Alphabetical order:

Adam and the Ants - Dirk Wears White Sox
David Bowie - Station to Station
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - The Good Son
Coil - Horse Rotorvator
Julian Cope - Peggy Suicide
Sparks - No.1 in Heaven
The The - Soul Mining
Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats
Two Lone Swordsmen ‎– From The Double Gone Chapel
Velvet Underground - Third Album

Head Gardener

Onken

Kicking myself for not including Japan Gentlemen Take Polaroids. Talking Heads, Grace Jones, Boards of Canada, The The, Two Lone Swordsmen are all really good choices above.

Entropy Balsmalch

1: Now That's What I Call Music 17
2: Now That's What I Call Music 16
3: Now That's What I Call Music 65
4: Now That's What I Call Music
5: Now That's What I Call Music 7
6: Now That's What I Call Music II
7: Now That's What I Call Music XIII
8: Now That's What I Call Music
9: Now That's What I Call Running 2015
10: 100% Reggae 2

kngen

I think to stop myself putting in pretentious show-offy, didactic stuff (the Neutral Milk Hotel effect, as mentioned earlier) I'll got with the 10 records I'll never tire of hearing, and that thrill me as much now as they did way back when.

Slayer - Reign In Blood

Husker Du - Warehouse: Songs and Stories

Bad Brains - Rock For Light

The Germs - (GI)

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

Infest - Slave 12"

Dr Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst

Cro-Mags - Age of Quarrel

The Dictators - Go Girl Crazy

The Smiths - The World Won't Listen (are we allowed comps? I'd narrowly choose this over The Queen Is Dead for stuff like Rubber Ring)

The preponderance of hardcore makes me think this might be a load of old bollocks as I've listening to a lot of old hardcore recently after a few years of avoiding it due to overexposure. A year ago, this list might have been entirely different.

Apart from Tubular Bells - that will always be there.

studpuppet

I may have to choose my top ten favourite albums that I'd forgotten I liked until I read through eleven pages of this...

Onken

Brian Eno - David Byrne ‎– My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (1981)

I've made the biggest mistake by not including this in my list. It should be numero uno.

I immediately thought back to this thread.

billyandthecloneasaurus

This is really difficult errr fuck okay well here is a really boring list of cliches that could plausibly be put together by someone trying to parody the music tastes of a dorky bloke in his early 20s who thought he was really cool in his teenage years it even has fucking Illmatic in it I hate myself fuck it post.

The Smiths - Meat is Murder
Aztec Camera - High Land High Rain
The KLF - Chill Out
Prefab Sprout - Swoon
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
Nas - Illmatic
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me
The Housemartins - The People Who Grinned Themselves To Death
The Shins - Wincing The Night Away or Chutes Too Narrow I can't decide which

DukeDeMondo

I posted in this thread a year or so ago, but I'm not gonna look back to see what I wrote. Some of this is probably the same, some are old favourites I've just found myself listening to more and more, some are newer records I need to be wearing in my brains constantly if I'm to be worth a single fuckful of anything of a day.

First named remains my favourite album/s of all time and I doubt that'll ever change, rest in no particular order but I listen to them frequently and never want to not listen to them frequently.

The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy & The Lash / If I Should Fall From Grace With God
Dead Kennedys - Frankenchrist
Bright Eyes - Digital Ash in a Digital Urn
Kanye West - Yeezus
Billy Bragg - Talking With The Taxman About Poetry
Bjork - Medulla
White Williams - Smoke
Whiskeytown - Faithless Street
Ice T - Home Invasion
Dexy's Midnight Runners - Too Rye Ay
The Wildhearts - Earth Versus...
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels On A Gravel Road
Morrissey - Viva Hate
Townes Van Zant - Live At The Old Quarter

Beautiful, beautiful things each and every one.

DukeDeMondo

And yes, fuckin Aeroplane Over The Sea, for fuck sake.

Jockice

Here's a dozen I did when someone asked me on Facebook a couple of weeks ago. As soon  as I posted it though, immediately thought of another 12 I could have put in there.

1 Back In Denim, Denim.
2 More Specials, The Specials.
3 The Queen Is Dead, Smiths.
4 The Undertones, The Undertones.
5 You Can't Hide Your Love Forever, Orange Juice.
6 Sulk, Associates.
7 Can't Stand The Rezillos, Rezillos.
8 Up For A Bit With The Pastels, Pastels.
9 Different Class, Pulp.
10 Ocean Rain, Echo And The Bunnymen.
11 Grotesque (After The Gramme), The Fall.
12 Behaviour, Pet Shop Boys.

Morrison Lard

1. Sex Mad
2. Why Do They Call Me Mr. Happy?
3. Wrong
4. 0 + 2 = 1
5. One
6. The Worldhood of the World (As Such)
7. Small Parts Isolated and Destroyed
9. Dance of the Headless Bourgeoisie
9. Mama
10. All Roads Lead to Ausfahrt

weekender

Well, I'm bored and like list threads, so here goes.

I've done mine in the style of a countdown, so you'll have to actually read this post[nb]Or scroll down, I suppose, but then you might read #1, it's a risky decision.[/nb] to find out who has won.

I have added commentary only where I thought it necessary, it's taken me long enough to think about.

10. Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

I just find it comforting.

9. Black Grape - It's Great When You're Straight...Yeah?

I was considering the Happy Mondays output at this point, but this album is Shaun Ryder at his musical peak, riffing off the likes of Kermit and Wags, and it all comes together so wonderfully.  I love all the tracks, but even a slow number like 'Submarine' just makes me grin.  In my head, it came out at the same time when Ryder first went on TFI Friday, I was in my mid-teens, it's a happy memory of a happy time.  Then I listen to the whole album and I grin again.  This is a class album, made by people who just fucking love music and happiness.

8.Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

7. Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata

Ooooohhhhh[nb]Five 'a's in 'Jaaaaam' you motherfucker, don't make me stop now.[/nb], weekender is sneaking in classical music, the pretentious cunt.

Whenever I think I'm going mad, I listen to this.  This is Beethoven encapsulating frustration/happiness/desperation/joy in a way that I never can, and this performance by Jene Jando absolutely nails it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkWpT_39Jj8

6. The Orb - Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld

I want to do a thread one of these days about this whole album, but for now let's leave it as "I chill out to this".

5. Beatles - White Album

Dave C once asked me which Beatles album I'd take to a desert island; I said the White Album.

"Why?  Because it's the longest?" he asked, like a simpleton.

"No, because it has happy songs and sad songs, and angry songs, and it's great" I answered, like a 17 year old simpleton.

4. Fairport Convention - What We Did On Our Holidays

The whole album's great, but 'Book Song' is special, especially if you read the back story about them both sitting in a room gazing at Sandy Denny.  Shout out to Coco at this point.

3. Stone Roses - Stone Roses

Waterfall can still, to this day, cheer me up.

2. Flowered Up - A Life with Brian

One for another time.  Where I got my username from.

1. Whipping Boy - Heartworm

I used to follow a music blog called 'Box Set Go'.  It was good, it introduced me to 'Understand' by Brian, 'Candlemaker' by Watercress, that sort of thing.

They did a thing called 'Top 10 Irish albums'.  I was expecting the number 1 entry to be U2, or something like that.

It wasn't.  It was an album called 'Heartworm' by a group called 'Whipping Boy'.

"That sounds interesting" I thought, "I'll have a listen".

The first track, 'Twinkle', sounded good.  Then came 'When We Were Young'.

Oh, after that, I am hooked.  I still am.  This album is mine, it encapsulates everything. 

If you look Whipping Boy up on YouTube, they don't look that great, from a live perspective.

The entire album, Heartworm, I don't know what it's about.  All I know is that it's fucking awesome, it really is.

dark now my pies

The orb's adventures beyond the ultraworld would certainly be in my top 10 and I don't know if this is much of a compliment but it's the album I always turn to when I want to fall asleep.

I think I've posted a top 10 already but I think I'll have another go just to mark where I'm at. Judged by what I return to the most.

Guns n Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen
Steely Dan - Aja
Ducktails - The Flower Lane
Aphex Twin - SAW 85-92
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
The Orb - Adventures etc
Goldie - Timeless
Toto - The Seventh One

newbridge

hewantstolurkatad

Off the top of my head, at this exact moment in time, my favourite albums are....

Air France - No Way Down EP
Burial - Kindred EP
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Drake - Take Care
Television - Marquee Moon
Weezer - Blue Album
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Radiohead - In Rainbows
The Antlers - Hospice

I'm as baffled by some of my inclusions there as you probably are tbh...

Tapiocahead

Let's say..

Minutemen - Double Nickels On The Dime
Dirtbombs - If You Don't Already Have A Look
Pixies - Debaser
The Detroit Cobras - Mink, Rat or Rabbit
The Undertones - The Undertones
Jim Jones Revue - Burning Your House Down
The Ruts - The Crack
The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
Redd Kross- Born Innocent
The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

Roy*Mallard

I find myself listening to music much less these days, mainly focusing on comedy such as Scharpling & Wurster (well, mostly Best Show related actually). So, ignoring my ridiculous lists from the first couple of pages of this thread, here's my new top 10.....

The Kinks - Village Green
The Kinks - Arthur
The Move - Shazam
The Move - Anthology (a beautiful 4-disc bastard)
Julian Cope - Skellington
Daevid Allen - Gliss Bliss (a GAS tape i bought around 25 years ago)
Steve Hillage - Rainbow Dome Musick
Brian Eno - Thursday Afternoon
The Rolling Stones - Aftermath
The Who - Sell Out

So, plenty of 60's fun, some ambient stuff and with a bit of late 80's acid campfire for good measure.

holyzombiejesus

In no particular order

Go-Betweens - Liberty Belle
B&S - Either of the first two
Felt - Poem of The River/ Me and a Monkey on the Moon
The Pastels - Illumination
Orange Juice - Can't Hide Your Love
Dexys - Don't Stand Me Down
Galaxie 500 - On Fire
Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers - Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers
Tindersticks - Either of first two
Nina Nastasia - On Leaving or John Cale - Fragments of a Rainy Season

Should really have a Gorkys album on there but, despite them being one of my favourite bands, I can't think of one that could replace any of the above. Ditto Teenage Fanclub.

Marquee Moon could also be in there.

EDIT: Thought this thread seemed familiar and turns out I posted on the first page 5(!) years ago. Most of my top 10s still in there as is my hesitation to include a Gorkys album...

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 10, 2011, 04:00:26 PM
Should really have a Gorky's Zygotic Mynci album in there as they're one of my favourite bands but can't decide which one.

Jockice

Quote from: newbridge on February 16, 2016, 11:43:29 PM
How is it possible that this is your favorite album of all time?

Because it's the greatest album of all time.