Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:40:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Top 10 Favourite Albums of All Time, Ever!: The Thread

Started by danyulx, December 10, 2011, 12:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Serge on December 10, 2011, 11:15:03 PM

14. 'They Say I'm Different' Betty Davis

Nasty Gal, surely?

Yeh, and loads of Krautrock could be in my 10.

Serge

Well, again, I could have picked any of Betty Davis' albums, but 'They Say I'm Different' is my favourite because it has 'He Was A Big Freak' on it.

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on December 11, 2011, 05:49:03 PMRe: Serge's comment on La Dusseldorf... I used to think the same. I still adore the opening track on s/t, which is so amazingly driven, but 'Viva' and 'Individuellos' slowly reveal their charms. 'Cha Cha 2000' is so epic. I dig Rother & Harmonia, but Dinger had a mad wizard quality - hence Julian Cope's obsession.

The first album also has 'Silver Cloud', which may be the best thing Dinger ever did, but I'm afraid that mostly I just don't get the whole Dinger thing. I find 'Viva' really cheesy, but in a bad way, and just can't get past that, sadly. I think the Rother/Harmonia/Cluster side just suits me more. What do you think of 'Neu! 86'? Although there's probably more crossover between their styles on that album, I can just about discern which are Dinger's tracks and which are Rother - although, I suppose Dinger does tend to sing on his! But I find something like 'La Bomba' almost unlistenable, but love the slightly cheesy 'Euphoria'.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on December 10, 2011, 03:09:48 PM
It shifts and changes, TBH, but here's a representative .gif of 9 from a similar thread a few years back:

'member that thread:

Quote from: thehungerartist on November 30, 2008, 06:44:58 PM

my +1 is Guided By Voice's Bee Thousand.

The Masked Unit

Ten (mainly) rap albums that I may not necessarily listen to often now, but have meant the most to me over the years, in no order.

Madvillain: Madvillainy
El-p: I'll sleep when you're dead
Common (sense): Resurrection
Ice Cube: Death Certificate
NWA: Efil4zaggin
Interpol: Turn on the bright lights
Cannibal Ox: The cold vein
Gza: Liquid swords
A tribe called quest: The low end theory
Smif n Wessun: Dah Shinin'

Ask me in a year or two and I'm sure Pet sounds and a Beatles album (probably Revolver or the white album) will be in there, but I've only got into them recently.

momatt

Stevie Wonder - Live at Talk of the Town

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

Herbaliser - Blow Your Headphones

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Liquid Liquid - Liquid Liquid

Cinematic Orchestra - Motion

John Coltrane - Giant Steps

Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children

KMD - Black Bastards

ThickAndCreamy

I was tempted to include Liquid Liquid on my list. That album's just one of a kind.

Beagle 2

The White Album - Beatles
Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols - Sex Pistols
Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables - Dead Kennedys
I should Coco - Supergrass
This Nation's Saving Grace - The Fall
Back in the DHSS - Half Man Half Biscuit
In Utero - Nirvana
C'mon Kids - Boo Radleys
The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers
Six - Mansun

samadriel

Extremities, Dirt and Various Repressed Emotions, Killing Joke

Fear of Music, Talking Heads

Brighten the Corners, Pavement

Stay Sick!, The Cramps

Theatre of Mineral NADEs, Eyvind Kang

California, Mr Bungle

Filth Pig, Ministry

Ruby Vroom, Soul Coughing

Pressure Chief, Cake

Together Alone, Crowded House

danyulx

Quote from: samadriel on December 12, 2011, 01:53:57 PMFilth Pig, Ministry

Good choice!
I always suspected I was completely alone in my love of this album. Ministry's best by a mile: a bloody monster of a record. Their generally-regarded "best album", 'Psalm 69', has its moments but I can take or leave.

doppelkorn

So does anyone think that any of anyone else's choices are shit then?

Neville Chamberlain

This is what I've come up with off the top of my head, but it might still need a little tweaking...

Cardiacs - Sing to God (I & II)
NoMeansNo - Wrong
The Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
Pigment Vehicle - Independent Women Are so Damned Good
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Amon Duul II - Yeti
Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food
The Fall - The Wonderful and Frightening World of the Fall
Bark Psychosis - Hex

Hank_Kingsley

Black Sabbath- Vol.4
Misfits- Static Age
Led Zeppelin- III
The Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers
Morphine- The Night
Descendents- Milo goes to college
Elvis Costello & The Attractions- This Year's Model
The Zombies- Odyssey & Oracle
Sly & The Family Stone- There's a riot going on
The Cure- Disintegration

Quote from: doppelkorn on December 12, 2011, 04:26:15 PM
So does anyone think that any of anyone else's choices are shit then?

They're all shit, full of lies.

defmem

Subject to regular change etc:

Vic Chesnutt - West of Rome
Mountain Goats - Tallahassee
Boards Of Canada - Geogaddi
Circus Devils - Sgt. Disco (or: Robert Pollard thing I'm mostly listening to right now)
Oorutaichi - Drifting My Folklore
Jandek - Glasgow Monday
Ween - Pure Guava
Radiohead - Kid A
Smog - [Can't make my mind up between Julius Caesar, Doctor Came at Dawn and Dongs of Sevotion]
Melt Banana - Cellscape

Stuff I listen to an absolute bollock load: Elvis Costello - King Of America / King Creosote & John Hopkins - Diamond Mine / Sly & The Family Stone - Fresh / Derek Bailey - Ballads / Sparklehorse - The Sparklehorse discography

Crabwalk

I think these would be the ten that I'd take a bullet for:

Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen
Dexys Midnight Runners - Too Rye Aye
ABC - The Lexicon of Love
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
American Music Club - Everclear
Steve Wonder - Innervisions
Sugar - Copper Blue
Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque
Super Furry Animals - Radiator
Tindersticks - Tindersticks II

All choices from the heart, Boston Crab.

These I'd run into a burning building for, if they were downstairs: 'The Hissing of Summer Lawns' by Joni Mitchell, 'The Queen is Dead' by The Smiths, 'Wowee Zowee' by Pavement, 'Singles Going Steady' by The buzzcocks', 'English Settlement' by XTC, 'Paul's Boutique' by The Beasties, '3 Feet High and Rising' by De la Soul, 'Revolver' by The Beatles, 'Elementalz' by The Brotherhood, 'Hats' by The Blue Nile, 'Where You Been' by Dinosaur Jr, 'Before Today' by Ariel Pink, 'Radio City' by Big Star, '...Ziggy Stardust' by Bowie, and 'Blinking Lights...' by Eels. Plus a shitload more that I'll edit in later, no doubt. Edit: Like 'No Other' by Gene Clark, 'Something/Anything' by Todd Rundgren, 'Emporer Tomato Ketchup' by Stereolab, 'High Land, Hard Rain' by Aztec Camera, and 'The MOTHERFUCKING RIVER' by Bruce Springsteen. Why did you start this thread and make me do this? It's painful for me, and it certainly must be painful for those who are still reading this post...

Bobby Treetops

Fuck this is hard but

The Monks - Black Monk Time
Nico - Chelsea Girl
New Order - Technique
Scott Walker - Scott 4
Nas - Illmatic
Autechre - LP5
Slint - Spiderland
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
GZA - Liquid Swords
The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street

Kane Jones

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 12, 2011, 06:15:17 PM
They're all shit, full of lies.

I actually agree with this.  I can't believe that a group of people so varied could all like such highly regarded and critically acclaimed music. Some of it has to be bullshit, surely?  I daren't put my list of top ten albums on here for fear of being laughed straight off the board, but needless to say it would feature Kiss - Destroyer, Cheap Trick - In Color and Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies. Those aren't guilty pleasures, they're albums I genuinely love.

Anyone else on the board like music that on the whole is considered a bit shit?  Come on, there must be a few of you....

CaledonianGonzo

Do you consider the music that you like to be 'a bit shit'? 

Kane Jones

Absolutely not!  But a lot of the stuff I love gets criticised by music journalists and the 'elite'.  Don't get me wrong, there are some great albums in many posters' lists - OK Computer and Abbey Road would probably make my own top ten - but I just find it unfathomable that so many people's lists just reads like the NME's list of essential albums.  It's all a bit too 'cool' is all I'm saying.

Music is as much about nostalgia and a gut reaction than anything else.  There must be someone on here that's dying to put Bryan Adams -Waking Up The Neighbours or ABBA - Arrival on their list because they fell in love with a girl who played that album all the time, or whatever reason.  Compiling a list from The 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die book for fear of looking like you've got uncool taste on an internet forum seems to be the overall flavour of this thread.

Hank_Kingsley

Quote from: Kane Jones on December 14, 2011, 12:56:45 PM
I actually agree with this.  I can't believe that a group of people so varied could all like such highly regarded and critically acclaimed music. Some of it has to be bullshit, surely?  I daren't put my list of top ten albums on here for fear of being laughed straight off the board, but needless to say it would feature Kiss - Destroyer, Cheap Trick - In Color and Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies. Those aren't guilty pleasures, they're albums I genuinely love.

Go for it, I put down several albums that aren't (or weren't at the time) critically acclaimed.
'Destroyer' is an absolute stone cold classic of a party album and 'In Color' is one I rate as well. Never listened to 'Billion Dollar Babies'.

Nobody Soup

isn't this just another way of the framing the typical snobbery around peoples music choices i.e. "sigh, your choices are so obvious."

mister_enmity

The thing is,  people just tend to listen to music mainly recommended by critics and journalists, rather than actually venture out and dwell into a genre by themselves and stumble upon albums which they will forever love. There's no surprise, then, if the favourite album choices here are "obvious".

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Kane JonesAbsolutely not!  But a lot of the stuff I love gets criticised by music journalists and the 'elite'.  Don't get me wrong, there are some great albums in many posters' lists - OK Computer and Abbey Road would probably make my own top ten - but I just find it unfathomable that so many people's lists just reads like the NME's list of essential albums.  It's all a bit too 'cool' is all I'm saying.

Music is as much about nostalgia and a gut reaction than anything else.  There must be someone on here that's dying to put Bryan Adams -Waking Up The Neighbours or ABBA - Arrival on their list because they fell in love with a girl who played that album all the time, or whatever reason.  Compiling a list from The 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die book for fear of looking like you've got uncool taste on an internet forum seems to be the overall flavour of this thread.

I don't think that's happening here - in fact, I think if people were trying to look cool there'd be fewer nods to bands like The Beatles and Radiohead as they're fairy safe/uncontroversial choices.  A lot of the other picks are too out-of-left-field to come with the stamp of consensual critical approval.

As an aside, Bat Out Of Hell didn't quite make my top 10, but it certainly lingers around the 11 or 12 mark.  I still love albums like In A Silent Way and Music Has the Right to Children, but I dig Meat Loaf more.  And as a large-ish ABBA fan, I don't think any of their albums is quite consistent enough to make it into my favourites, as much as I love a good deal of their music.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Nobody Soup on December 14, 2011, 01:21:20 PM
isn't this just another way of the framing the typical snobbery around peoples music choices i.e. "sigh, your choices are so obvious."

No, it was really a question.  It just seems there are certain types who are afraid to admit to liking something that others might deem uncool. Either that, or it's just a massive coincidence that 90% of the music they love is critically acclaimed.  Or they write for NME.

Kane Jones

Quote from: mister_enmity on December 14, 2011, 01:28:25 PM
The thing is,  people just tend to listen to music mainly recommended by critics and journalists, rather than actually venture out and dwell into a genre by themselves and stumble upon albums which they will forever love. There's no surprise, then, if the favourite album choices here are "obvious".

That's a fair point.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Kane Jones on December 14, 2011, 12:56:45 PM

Anyone else on the board like music that on the whole is considered a bit shit?  Come on, there must be a few of you....

Come on Kane Jones, post your list. Then call out by name anyone else that you suspect to be posing and they can defend themselves if they wish. I think the accusations from you and Boston Crab are a bit harsh.

Crabwalk

Quote from: mister_enmity on December 14, 2011, 01:28:25 PM
Quote from: Kane Jones on December 14, 2011, 01:33:58 PM
That's a fair point.

There are bound to be 'classics' popping up left, right and centre, as often they're easily discoverable during an impressionable stage of peoples' lives (12-18, say) and stay with them for life. Most of these lists are then peppered with deeper cuts. What's the problem with that?

Kane Jones

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on December 14, 2011, 01:30:03 PM
I don't think that's happening here - in fact, I think if people were trying to look cool there'd be fewer nods to bands like The Beatles and Radiohead as they're fairy safe/uncontroversial choices.  A lot of the other picks are too out-of-left-field to come with the stamp of consensual critical approval.

As an aside, Bat Out Of Hell didn't quite make my top 10, but it certainly lingers around the 11 or 12 mark.  I still love albums like In A Silent Way and Music Has the Right to Children, but I dig Meat Loaf more.  And as a large-ish ABBA fan, I don't think any of their albums is quite consistent enough to make it into my favourites, as much as I love a good deal of their music.

Again, fair points made here.  Maybe I overreacted, but I guess it would just be refreshing to see a list that didn't seem cherry-picked from some list of 'essential' albums.  I'm not levelling this at everyone - in fact it's not aimed at anyone in particular.  I just found myself gawping incredulously at a lot of the lists and caught myself thinking "Come on, someone must have Thriller in their top ten.  Or a Level 42 album.."

Danger Man

The only 'complaint' I have with this thread is that The Queen is Dead keeps popping up. It doesn't deserve to be in a "Top Three Smiths LPs" list let alone a 'Top Ten Favourites of all time' list.

Crabwalk

It's the popular choice because it sounds the best and is the most consistent, I suspect. Plus it has about the greatest opening of any album ever.