Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:53:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Draw.

Started by ccab, June 13, 2004, 10:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Almost Yearly

I don't know much about the whys and wherefores, but when I had some kind of little worm which made my browser loath to download pictures, the first to fail were people's Photobucket ones.

Well, only two matches yet to kick off and it's going lovely. I see I'm still way out of touch with the prevailing style though. Hold my hand Cerys, everyone's doing really bright graphical things with arrows and stuff. It's like we're still using these:

Yours being the one on the right, natch ;-)

Rubbish Monkey

according to Mr photobucket. This is what happened....

QuoteAround 10:00 PM MST Last night, one of our master disk arrays started getting disk errors. We have been working on this problem all night. To try and avoid any data loss or corruption, we must do disk checks on each partitition. These disk arrays are very large and are taking hours to run the checks on. We cannot bring much of the site back online until this completes. We are frustrated, tired and very sorry this has happened. We will update you on any progress

looks like i will have to find a temporary home until its fixed since the nasty blueyonder people shut down one of my webspaces (i was a naughty boy and had 2)

ccab

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"photobucket probs

villagephotos looks a reasonable bet as a stopgap - they limit each account to 25 images - but that's more than enough to cover wimblemong.

fanny splendid

Isn't VillagePhotos the one that allows you about 0k of bandwidth a day?

If anyone is having any problems with hosting, then feel free to use the guest function on my site which can be found here. Just click on 'add photo' in the top right hand corner.

Also, I'm going to try and collate all the entries for posterity. The current URL for the page is here.

poison popcorn

photobucket seems to be fixed now.

nice monging from everyone too. lets see cliff richard follow that!

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "fanny splendid"If anyone is having any problems with hosting, then feel free to use the guest function on my site which can be found here. Just click on 'add photo' in the top right hand corner.

Also, I'm going to try and collate all the entries for posterity. The current URL for the page is here.

"Lovely boy."

Someone give him a bye. They look all nice on that page^

Abbie

I can't help but notice that my website, Timmyraa's, Fanny's, Splattermac's and AY's have all gone down.

Have we broken the interweb?

JJJJH

Cheers Fanny, looks even more professional like that.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "Abbie"I can't help but notice that my website, Timmyraa's, Fanny's, Splattermac's and AY's have all gone down.

Have we broken the interweb?

Hehhehehe, I noticed that. So I buggered off for beer, football, and a meal. It seems to be working now, which just goes to show.

Beer solves everything.

:-)

Almost Yearly

ccab - perhaps if Mr fish cannot be raised, Mr splendid could step in ...

JJJJH

I have a question - if there's a picture of an element in a picture we're replying to that we can get much high-resolution - a photograph or a portrait for example - are we allowed to use that so we don't get blow-up fuzziness from enlarging the original element? Provided we only use exactly what was in the mong we're replying to, cut-out from it's source in the same way, etc...

And before anyone uses it, I propose a ban on the Sand font as well as Comic Sans.

Quote from: "JJJJH"And before anyone uses it, I propose a ban on the Sand font as well as Comic Sans.

Is that the one PT always uses? I love his stuff but it always bothers me when there's always a title in the exact same style as everything else. Suppose it links all his work together though.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "DevlinC"
Quote from: "JJJJH"And before anyone uses it, I propose a ban on the Sand font as well as Comic Sans.
Is that the one PT always uses? I love his stuff but it always bothers me when there's always a title in the exact same style as everything else. Suppose it links all his work together though.

No, that's Terminator Two font.  I simply have no imagination.

I also have a big hard-on for brand unity...  I'm like the faceless of Photoshop tennis.

Timmay

What's so wrong with that font?

JJJJH

I saw it every college day for 2 years at my bus stop.

ccab

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"ccab - perhaps if Mr fish cannot be raised, Mr splendid could step in ...

that's sounds sound.

sound out fanny about it. - if either gentlement think he can work fast enough, get it on by all means.

remember though, as thinks stand, fanny and PP will both qualify - if they play each other, they both risk knockout.

Rats

How's about another rule for no pictures over 40kb? I saved one the other day and it was 150, it can't be too healthy for the people on dial up.

ClaudiusMaximus

I'm guilty of posting some big images, just wanted the quality to be as high as possible.

40kB is an 18:1 compression ratio, there'll be masses of artifacting.  Uncompressed: 600px x 400px x 24bit = 720kB.

Rats

I know but but but but that's selfish, think of all the little orphans winding up their clockwork modems. That's what rats would do. That's why you should vote rats.

Purple Tentacle

Does anybody else think that Saturday lunchtime voting deadline is a bit tight?

I mean bearing in mind that there's a big football game tomorrow which will leave most incapable of any kind of lucid photoshoppery, most people will be aiming for a Friday night completion this leaves less than 24 hours voting, and no work peeps will be able to.

I know not all of us live for the LOVE of Photoshop at the expense of everything else, who's with me?

Nobody?

Cerys

I agree.  Of course, this might be largely to do with the fact that I've hit a mongers' block.  Wail.

Timmay

I think we're gonna struggle to finish ours in time. Still waiting on Frinky to get his second return in, then I'll hopefully get my final return done tomorrow, with Frinks to come in with the final shot tomorrow night, at the earliest. Like you say though, with footy tomorrow night, we'll probably slip the finish back to Friday sometime.

I propose voting should finish midnight on Monday night, to allow all games to complete over the weekend, and give weekday whores a chance to vote on Monday.

ccab

No, the deadline stands. The reason we set strict deadlines this time around was to avoid the whole tournament splurging out over months & boring everyone sick.

Just to put it in perspective, this is effectively a preliminary round and only 6 players will be knocked out. Including the final, there'll be another 4 rounds afterwards, each allowed 5 days (not including the draws) which means it lasting almost another month after this week.

Remember, if you find for any reason you don't have time to finish your game, it can still be put to the polls in an incomplete form if both players agree.

I hope it won't be a serious problem for many. For those who do find themselves running out of time - just think of footballers in stoppage time: faster tempo & the long ball.

Cerys

But that means that many of the working 'whores won't be able to vote!  And surely the fact that we've got a lovely great forum to ourselves this time means that we shouldn't have to rush things.  For gods' sake, man - where's your sense of procrastination?!

Timmay

Quote from: "ccab"No, the deadline stands. The reason we set strict deadlines this time around was to avoid the whole tournament splurging out over months & boring everyone sick.
Yes, we'll prevent all the weekday-only whores from voting on most of these matches, for the sake of a 3 day shorter tournament.

EDIT: Bloody hell, I must have spent ages typing that. You and your quick fingers Cerys.

mr rou-rou

I'm with the Monday lot, heels won't drag that much, there's football and sunshine to contend with, we need the support of workbound whores.

Good game good game

ClaudiusMaximus

Quote from: "Rats"I know but but but but that's selfish, think of all the little orphans winding up their clockwork modems. That's what rats would do. That's why you should vote rats.

I think an acceptable compromise is to post smaller images and link to the high quality images.

no_offenc

All I can say is...where the fook is mook??  Heh.

Purple Tentacle

Monday voting is a very good idea.... the whole tournament will be ruined if there's only about 5 votes per thread.

that and my computer has died. Possibly terminally. Pity me, pity me.....