Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:13:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Youtube is Awful

Started by momatt, December 16, 2011, 10:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

momatt

Anyone else finding this recent 'upgrade' to be a pain in the arse?

• They don't seem to be working with any online video rippers any more.  I previously used tools like keepvid.com to rip all the Alan Partridge MMM shows (etc) and wanted to do the same with the new Fast Shows but it doesn't work any more;
  • The full-screen option doesn't work for many vids, just the larger screen option remains, which is balls;
  • The videos often don't load immediately and have to be refreshed a few times.

Or is it just me?  Any other new ripping tools (preferably online) I should be using?
Currently using Safari on a Mac, which is generally faultless.

The annoyance of almost every video containing at advert? Inevitably YouTube needs to make money, but I feel it is getting too far away from what made it great, and I guess revolutionary in the first place.

I accept the terms of the

They've shifted its focus, haven't they?

Originally it special because it was a unique platform for everybody to share videos.
Now it's special because it's the platform that 100s of millions of people use.

Now that they're in that position they don't have to worry so much about not annoying people with adverts.

Pedro_Bear

Firefox's flv movies downloader 1.43 still works with youtube. It puts a little spanner in our Add-ons bar that we click after pressing play and it brings up a list of all media, flvs, mp4s etc etc that we've been watching. We have to rename youtube rips individually as they initially rip as "videoplayback" without a file extension, so just rename to "whatever.flv". Most other sites can be media ripped with the full filename and extension ready for download.

Trial and error with NoScript removes all advert injections, as do various adblocker add-ons.

momatt

For me about 50% of the vids have an advert.  This I don't mind so much as you can skip them quite quickly and I can't begrudge the free service wanting to make a bit of money.
The fact that it doesn't work properly any more is more annoying.

Cheers Pedro, I thought the flvs must still exist in the temp files.  Then use some conversion program to make an avi or mp4 I suppose?
Keepvid was easier.  :(

mook

i've just clicked through at least ten youtubes and not seen one ad. what am i doing right wrong? i want me some adverts dammit.

Apart from the 1 / 1000 sites that use actual streaming servers to deliver their content (rather than pushing files to Flash's video player), you can just use the (usually built-in) tools in your browser to grab content. For example, Tools>Developer Tools>Network in Chrome (similar thing in Firebug). You'll see the video flv in the list and you can double click it to start downloading (you might have to close the video page tab before it will start downloading, simply because those sites often limit multiple connections to the same file). Much better than installing some extension, IMO.

Dead kate moss

One of my YouTube uploads was offered ads after it reached 1000 views. But it turns out you need to get about a million hits to make any serious money (ie over £100 pounds), so I took them off as they are annoying. I think the rules for the casual Tuber are ads are offered for videos with high view numbers but no swearing, nudity or copyrighted music/stuff you don't own. They were the terms I remember anyway.

Replies From View

For skipping ads I can recommend quietube quite highly.  When you download it, it forms a tab that stays in your bookmarks bar.  Whenever you're on a youtube page, you then just click the quietube tab and you're taken to a plain blank page with just your video and no adverts.  Marvellous.

Dark Sky

Aren't adverts automatically placed on videos which have had a certain number of views?  So if you're looking at very popular videos, you will see adverts.  If you're looking at stuff only three other people have seen, you won't.

NoSleep

I've received the following email from YouTube:
Your YouTube account might be eligible to earn revenue from the playbacks of your videos.

Making money from your videos is easy. Here's how it works: First sign into your YouTube account. Then review and complete the steps outlined here: http://www.youtube.com/account_monetization?feature=ieqe.

If your account is enabled, we may place ads next to the videos you submit for monetization. You will earn a share of the revenue from the ads as long as you meet the program requirements.

Thanks and good luck!

The YouTube Team

Replies From View

Quote from: Dark Sky on December 16, 2011, 05:34:59 PM
Aren't adverts automatically placed on videos which have had a certain number of views?  So if you're looking at very popular videos, you will see adverts.  If you're looking at stuff only three other people have seen, you won't.

No, it's not automatic - it happens if you become a youtube partner.  If any of your videos gets very popular, they get in touch with you and invite you to receive money on condition that ads are put on all your videos.  It's for this reason that you increasingly find videos and video titles appearing that are all about trying to grab people's attentions for more views.

It's quite easy to tell youtube to fuck off if and when the time comes, though.  I have.

massive bereavement

Up until today, I've always been able to save video's I want to keep by simply going into the cache, moving the file onto the desktop and adding a .flv file extension. The files are still there in the cache as 'videoplayback', but they no longer play on an flv player. Real player won't play them either. I tried converting one of the files to an mpg, which I've been able to do in the past, but it now throws up a codec issue.

Edit: Oh, the files are working again now. That'd odd. The layout is still rubbish though. At least it's still easier to grab the video files than the BBC site, for which you have no other option but to use special software.

Benevolent Despot

I use AdBlock Plus in Firefox and that blocks 100% of all Youtube ads, old design and new. It also blocks lots of ads all over the web, including ad-breaks on stuff like 4OD and streamed Comedy Central stuff. I think you can get it for Google Chrome too.

I've had a few Youtube accounts and I'm sure with the last one I started, ads were switched on by default. I had to find the option deep in the settings and switch it off. This could be why there are so many videos with ads in them these days.

small_world

What?
I use Ad-block plus, and get a shit ton of ads on most YouTube videos.
Where's these settings?

Benevolent Despot

I double-checked, yes it is AdBlock Plus that's blocking all Youtube ads. It's version 2.0.1, with Firefox 6.0.1. I don't have any special settings or filters, just the generic Easylist USA filter. Is your AdBlock set to auto-update? That's the only thing I can think of.

massive bereavement

I've never used an adblocker, I just manually added a bunch of advertising addresses to the HOSTS file in the System32 folder and whitelisted sites that are allowed to use flash, that kills just about every ad going, even on the naughty sites.

gepree

Quote from: momatt on December 16, 2011, 10:56:14 AM
They don't seem to be working with any online video rippers any more.  I previously used tools like keepvid.com to rip all the Alan Partridge MMM shows (etc) and wanted to do the same with the new Fast Shows but it doesn't work any more;

Or is it just me?  Any other new ripping tools (preferably online) I should be using?
Currently using Safari on a Mac, which is generally faultless.
I use the ClickToPlugin extension for Safari (on a Mac).  This not only stops Flash appearing on YouTube, but also replaces it with an HTML5 version.  You can then do Right Click, then Download Video, giving you a nice shiny mp4 file in your Downloads folder.

momatt

Quote from: gepree on December 18, 2011, 03:14:32 PM
I use the ClickToPlugin extension for Safari (on a Mac).  This not only stops Flash appearing on YouTube, but also replaces it with an HTML5 version.  You can then do Right Click, then Download Video, giving you a nice shiny mp4 file in your Downloads folder.

Ka-booom!  Cheers Gepree, that's the repsonse I was after.  I'll give this a go later.

Custard

The new YouTubes app on Xbox has no adverts on any videos yet. Possibly why it's currently only available to Gold subscribers. Nice, though

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Try Applian Replay Media Catcher for this and many other things.

biggytitbo

It's awfully grey and dreary, design wise.

It's so depressing, I hate this website

Consignia

Is it a recent trend or is it something I've just noticed of these Youtube comment parrots repeating lines from the video and then getting the highest ratings? It's doing my nut in. I know I should disable the comments, but that's effort.

Youtube comment parrots :thumbsup: 17

momatt

Quote from: Consignia on December 21, 2011, 10:36:35 AM
Is it a recent trend or is it something I've just noticed of these Youtube comment parrots repeating lines from the video and then getting the highest ratings?

Glad it's not just me who hates those idiots.  They're wasting the internet.

Anyway, keepvid.com is back working now.  Those clever chaps must have updated it somehow.  :)

some Avenged Sevenfold video +3654 -8

"eight fools perfer Justen Beeber" +100000000000000

alan nagsworth

Quote from: momatt on December 21, 2011, 10:58:48 AM
Glad it's not just me who hates those idiots.  They're wasting the internet.

Yes, they should leave the comments section free for vitriolic ethics arguments. It's not like 90% of YouTube isn't a waste of internet as it is, with endless swathes of webcam reviews/reaction videos, utterly shit-sounding live recordings, fan-made compilation videos (usually consisting of a stream of pointless images) and reposts.

Anyway they've done that thing again where they put a little snowflake icon on the video and when you click it you get little snowflakes falling down on your video, so cheer the fuck up, eh.

momatt

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 22, 2011, 11:37:38 AM
Yes, they should leave the comments section free for vitriolic ethics arguments. It's not like 90% of YouTube isn't a waste of internet as it is...

Anyway they've done that thing again where they put a little snowflake icon on the video and when you click it you get little snowflakes falling down on your video, so cheer the fuck up, eh.

I agree!  It's probably more like 99% though.

Not seen that snowflake thing before, look forward to pissing about with that later.