Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,347
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:26:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Steam Christmas Sale

Started by madhair60, December 19, 2011, 10:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

All signs point to it starting today.  6pm GMT.  Everything will be going cheap.  New Christmas achievements have been added to lots of games - possibly for some sort of ARG.

Prepare your wallets.

I want to get Dead Island and Deus Ex Human Revolution.  Anything else is gravy.

mikeyg27

Barberism

Holidays are coming...
Holidays are coming...

AsparagusTrevor

Not looking... Not looking.
Maybe just a peek.

falafel

madhair60

Haha, Steam is taking a beating.  Just Cause 2 and Portal 2 are SO worth getting for the sale prices.

Subtle Mocking

Good luck getting on, haha. More deals added daily, here's today's:

Fable III -75% £7.49
Orcs Must Die -75% £2.99
Metro 2033 -75% £3.74
Rift -75% £4.99
Portal 2 -75% £4.99
Portal Bundle (1&2) -75% £5.74
Bunch of Heros -75% £2.24
Sam & Max Franchise -75% £various
Singularity -75% £3.74
Amnesia: The Dark Descent -75% £3.24
Pendulo Adventure Pack -75% £9.99
Max Payne Bundle -75% £2.49
Just Cause 2 -75% £3.49

Dark Sky

Portal 2 for £4.99 is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.  I think anyone who hasn't got it should ignore that and wait until it's £20 and buy it then.

Then play it and think, "blimey, this game is worth every penny".

falafel

Fable 3 worth a punt? How long will it last?

madhair60

Pete23

possibly the greatest deal ever: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13024/

Both Arkham games (including DLC for Arkham City), All F.E.A.R. games and packs, Lego Batman and Harry Potter Years 1-4, Bastion, Terminator Salvation and the two Watchman games all for £40!

Subtle Mocking

I don't know, wasn't that Terminator game god-awful?

Dark Sky

Quote from: Pete23 on December 20, 2011, 12:11:34 PM
possibly the greatest deal ever: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13024/

Both Arkham games (including DLC for Arkham City), All F.E.A.R. games and packs, Lego Batman and Harry Potter Years 1-4, Bastion, Terminator Salvation and the two Watchman games all for £40!

BT would charge me £40 just to download all that!

madhair60

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on December 20, 2011, 12:24:35 PM
I don't know, wasn't that Terminator game god-awful?

Surprisingly, no - it's actually a pretty solid experience.  Not gonna win any awards but it's a good crack.  Even without it the pack's worth £40, no question.

small_world

Alright alright alright... What is Steam?

Here I was thinking I could sit back and let the new techie stuff roll over me. No worries, but I've heard loads about Portal, I want to give it a go...
What do I do?

Also, my PC, while not ancient, isn't the most modern. It played Oblivion with the settings at about 30-40% off the best. Would I be Ok running Portal? What else would you recommend? 

madhair60

Portal will run fine, I'm sure of it.  Not sure about Portal 2, but it IS very customisable, being Source engine and all.

Steam is - basically - a digital distribution service and gaming client.  It's also excellent.  I... can't muster the energy to explain further.  I apologise.

It's basically like torrenting but you pay for it.

Little Hoover

Weren't they just having a sale a few weeks ago? It feels like there's almost always a sale going on at Steam.

Wilbur

Right Steam. STOP THIS NOW. I have Skyrim here unplayed. I have the GTA pack hardly started. Bastards.

WesterlyWinds

Quote from: small_world on December 20, 2011, 12:49:34 PM

Here I was thinking I could sit back and let the new techie stuff roll over me. No worries, but I've heard loads about Portal, I want to give it a go...
What do I do?

Also, my PC, while not ancient, isn't the most modern. It played Oblivion with the settings at about 30-40% off the best. Would I be Ok running Portal? What else would you recommend?

I tend to use a website called System Requirements Lab to see if my PC will run stuff. Apparently it will run Portal 2, hoorah! Shame I can't get it for that price on my PS3, I quite like being able to lie in bed and play games.

Dark Sky

Quote from: small_world on December 20, 2011, 12:49:34 PM

It's basically a digital distribution service which also doubles as social networking and DRM for computer games.  It was developed by Valve, who make Half-Life, Portal, Left4Dead, etc, as a way to distribute their own games, but many non-Valve games can be bought/installed through Steam, or - if they're bought in-store - actively require to be registered through Steam (as a form of DRM).

I really like Steam.  It's fantastic to have a library of games all held in one place, especially if you only own them digitally, and I often get quite annoyed if I buy a game nowadays which can't be installed in Steam!  It automatically updates all the games with the latest patches and the like, plus it has achievements programmed in (I quite like achievements).  And there's the whole community thing attached, meaning it makes online multiplaying really easy.

It's not limited to one computer, either, meaning you can in theory log into your Steam account on a different computer, and it'll let you re-download all the games and install them and play them on that computer instead.

The only bad side (for consumers) is that there's no way to deactivate a game from Steam.  Meaning I've had occasions where I've bought a second hand copy of a game through Amazon, and it turns out that the previous owner already activated it on their account, meaning the disc they sold me is only as good as a coaster. 

Prices on the Steam store vary quite a lot.  Outside of sales, games tend to be far, far more expensive via Steam than, say, buying a copy from Amazon.  But then they have a sale and the prices get stupidly cheap.  Plus it's the only place you can get hold of certain games...e.g., the fantastic Limbo...on PC, you could only buy that via Steam.

Cheers, WesterlyWinds, that's a very useful site!

It reckons I can't play Skyrim though because I don't have the Minimum NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRD factor.

Hahaha!

HAHA!

SetToStun

In this broadband age it's not such an issue but I do remember buying Half Life 2 on actual disc, in a box and everything, and getting it back to my folks' place (I was staying with them when I was between flats), installing it, trying to play it and being told that I needed a Steam account to register it or it wouldn't play. Great. My folks were on dial-up. I managed to set up an account (eventually), restarted the game and it went straight into "validating game[nb]May not be the exact description there, but it was something like that.[/nb]/downloading updates" mode. Validation took nearly an hour and then the download started. 1.4GB. On fucking dial-up. Updates I probably didn't want, forcibly done on-line, to play a game I'd bought brand new, in a box, shrink-wrapped, from an approved retailer. With errors and disconnections it took about three fucking days to get to even start playing the bastard thing. I tried cancelling the updates and just starting the game, but guess what?

Fucking Steam.

ThickAndCreamy

I once paid £40 to buy a CD version of the Half Life 2 Box Set from the US as I didn't have a DVD disk drive on my old PC. It wasn't until I installed it all using about 8 discs that I realised I could have bought it for less than half the price on Steam.

The world is now a better place.

SetToStun

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on December 20, 2011, 02:02:16 PMThe world is now a better place, provided you have reliable broadband access.

Fixed.

Dark Sky

Quote from: SetToStun on December 20, 2011, 01:59:38 PM
In this broadband age it's not such an issue but I do remember buying Half Life 2 on actual disc, in a box and everything, and getting it back to my folks' place (I was staying with them when I was between flats), installing it, trying to play it and being told that I needed a Steam account to register it or it wouldn't play. Great. My folks were on dial-up. I managed to set up an account (eventually), restarted the game and it went straight into "validating game[nb]May not be the exact description there, but it was something like that.[/nb]/downloading updates" mode. Validation took nearly an hour and then the download started. 1.4GB. On fucking dial-up. Updates I probably didn't want, forcibly done on-line, to play a game I'd bought brand new, in a box, shrink-wrapped, from an approved retailer. With errors and disconnections it took about three fucking days to get to even start playing the bastard thing. I tried cancelling the updates and just starting the game, but guess what?

Fucking Steam.

You could have told it to install from the disc, of course.  Then it wouldn't have tried to download the 1.4GB game!

(I agree though that installing from the disc should be automatic if you have one...but for some reason it doesn't do that, annoyingly)

Ignatius_S

Yesterday's 'deals of the day' are still available for 4 more hours - wonder if this is because of the problems yesterday.

Eis Nein

Aside from all the other benefits, Steam has lots of free games, and some games are offered as such on free weekends. The mighty Team Fortress 2 is permanently free:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851573

ThickAndCreamy

I have played over 500 hours of Team Fortress 2.

It's the best free game you will ever play, and the best online FPS ever made. Just get Steam for that alone.

Eis Nein

Your tally humbles my puny 90-odd, but do you have a Primeval Warrior badge?

I do, so there.