Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:25:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What films need to be remade?

Started by kidsick5000, December 21, 2011, 03:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Ah, The Quiet Earth - what a film! Watched in those twilight years of youth it really shaped my future as a melancholic transvestite loner.

Galeee

I am still full of venom & regret about the Dark is Rising.. a film I had waited for since childhood. The bastards.

I'd really like to see a remake of Colossus: The Forbin Project. The original is brilliant but definitely seems quite dated (that's not necessarily a bad thing) now. It's not so well known to have the 'desecrating the original' stigma that alot of recent remakes have had. As long as the remake didn't end up with a load of hollywood bells and whistles attached to it, it could be a smart, paranoid, wordy bit of sci-fi, not unlike the sort of thing Duncan Jones is doing.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Stone Cold Jane Austen on January 15, 2012, 04:20:22 PM
I'd really like to see a remake of Colossus: The Forbin Project.
The only reason I ever heard of this forgotten 70s gem was thanks to a bit on "Mystery Science Theater 3000" where Dr Forrester asks Joel what his favourite film is, and that's his answer...as it is for Dr. Forrester, when the question is reversed. Never been released in the UK, as far as I can tell.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 15, 2012, 05:34:16 PM
The only reason I ever heard of this forgotten 70s gem was thanks to a bit on "Mystery Science Theater 3000" where Dr Forrester asks Joel what his favourite film is, and that's his answer...as it is for Dr. Forrester, when the question is reversed. Never been released in the UK, as far as I can tell.

Yeah it has, I got it from Amazon for a tenner a while ago. Worth a punt for fans of smart sci-fi.

A modern day version of 'The Warriors' set in London or Paris rather than New York.

NaCl

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on January 15, 2012, 07:54:01 PM
A modern day version of 'The Warriors' set in London or Paris rather than New York.
Mercifully, the 2008-announced, LA-set remake of "The Warriors" looks like it never came to fruition. I just think it's of a time and place, and needs to not be remade. Also, the ultimate edition blu-ray is no good, inserting comic panels into breaks in the story for no good reason.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: Jemble Fred on December 21, 2011, 04:14:18 PM
If I was a richer man I would buy you a Nigel Kneale boxset for Xmas, Blodwyn. Should one exist.

THAT's what needs to be remade!  The Quatermass Experiment and Quatermass and the Pit, both with big budgets to match.  It's clearly what Cameron meant when he said "concentrate on just making good films" or whatever it was.

Saucer51

As well as being a thriller, Frenzy was a great period piece of early 70's London. However, as a big fan of the film, I've wondered how it would look remade for modern times. The dating agency was filmed in an alley off Oxford Street that apparently no longer exists and Covent Garden fruit market is long gone. But more importantly, with the advent of DNA, it would take some re-writing for Bob Rusk to frame Richard Blaney.

Bob Rusk - Max Beesley
Richard Blaney - Christian Bale
Mrs Blaney - Naomi Watts
Detective - Alfred Molina

I'd like to see a fully live action remake of Who Framed Roger Rabbit. No animation at all - real rabbits, weasels, babies and cowshit.

garbed_attic

I'm very fond of Nicholas Ray's 'Bigger Than Life' but the script is sadly compromised and the pacing is a bit wonky... it veers into darkness and then sets itself back on the straight and narrow. It's such a great claustrophobic premise though - schoolteacher becomes addicted to medication and starts getting ubermensch ideas about changing the system and improving his son, until he discovers his son hiding his medication and seeks revenge - and I'd love to see Almodovar do a remake.

SteveDave

I'm bumping this thread to say The Fly. I watched it last night & the story holds up & the acting's good especially from Goldblum but the transformation of Brundle into Brundle-Fly looks extremely shit. My only worry if they remade it is that they use Ryan Reynolds as Brundle.

Incidentally I'm now watching The Fly 2 a film I've not seen since I was 12. So far it's holding up well. Apart from the mushed up dog which looks like a manky hot-water bottle cover. Fingers crossed the
Spoiler alert
guards head getting crushed by the lift
[close]
still lives up to my memories.

Tiny Poster

But aaaaah bro The Fly was a remake aaaaaah

And as the sequel (to the remake, not the original sequel) showed, The Fly worked thanks to Cronenbourg's body horror obsession and Goldbluum's attractive creepiness.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: SteveDave on January 19, 2013, 11:42:11 AM
I'm bumping this thread to say The Fly. I watched it last night & the story holds up & the acting's good especially from Goldblum but the transformation of Brundle into Brundle-Fly looks extremely shit.
Ironically, any remake would be almost certain to be lambasted for employing CGI instead of the Cronenberg version's practical effects. As happened with the recent prequel/remake of The Thing.

I disagree about the 80s effects looking shit, anyway.

SteveDave

The fly in The Fly 2 looked a bit iffy too. More like Alien than a fly. The
Spoiler alert
lift head squish
[close]
worked just as well as I remembered.

They could do the remake with practical effects but just better ones than Goldblum covered in a plasticine suit where you could see the joins.

Jemble Fred

If they literally remade the Cronenberg movie, which needs no perfecting, then somebody somewhere would deserve death for it.

That said, a new version of 'The Fly', which is as distinct from the 80s version as that was from the Vincent Pryce movie, could be worth trying.

El Unicornio, mang

They already attempted another remake of it

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/David-Cronenberg-Reveals-Details-Scrapped-Fly-Remake-Eastern-Promises-2-28020.html

A short film based on the original The Fly story in Playboy might be interesting

Sal Vicuso

Was just talking to a friend last night about how someone should remake The Wages of Fear - great concept for a taut action/character drama/buddy movie. The original is fine, but I felt the first hour of building the characters' backstories was probably 20 minutes too long.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's been remade twice.
Quote from: WikipediaViolent Road (aka Hell's Highway), directed by Howard W. Koch in 1958, and Sorcerer, directed by William Friedkin in 1977

Santa's Boyfriend

I would love to see a remake of Ken Loach's excellent film Kes - but relocated to Beverly Hills in LA, and starring Justin Timberlake.  Oh and the kestrel should be replaced with a wise-cracking monkey that fights crime.  It'd be just like the original, only better.

Glebe

There's been more talk lately of remake of one of the films that shaped my childhood, Gremlins. Lot of folks - director Joe Dante included - reckon CGI would ruin it. If it was done with tender loving care though, there might be potential...

Sal Vicuso

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: madhair60 on December 21, 2011, 01:26:18 PM
mannequin

Heh, shamefully enough I think I may have achieved one of earliest Hollywood boners over Kim Cattrall in that film....

Disturbing.

Dark Sky

Quote from: Jemble Fred on December 21, 2011, 03:59:51 PM
To be fair, I'd say the exact opposite to that. It's my love for nuanced subtlety which makes me rate BW1 so low (throw in the usual 'I saw it on my own before any of the hype kicked in' etc stuff here).

You're entitled to your (wrong) opinion about The Blair Witch Project; psychological horror doesn't work for everyone.  But to claim that you saw the film 'before the hype kicked in' is ridiculous; the hype for that film started before it had even been bought by a distributor thanks to its (at the time) original Internet marketing. 

Personally, I saw it well in advance of its UK release date thanks to a local cinema snagging a preview screening, and I went to that screening armed with a folder load of newspaper articles and clippings raving about it.  Nobody saw that film before the hype.

Jemble Fred

All you need to know is that I saw it before you.

acrow

i saw the film on its opening day in the states with absolutely no idea of any internet hype. therefore i win.

also

QuoteI went to that screening armed with a folder load of newspaper articles and clippings raving about it.

why?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Dark Sky on January 19, 2013, 11:39:55 PM
You're entitled to your (wrong) opinion about The Blair Witch Project; psychological horror doesn't work for everyone.

The problem I have with it is that the characters are so annoying, and so many of their choices are idiotic, that I wanted them to die by the end.

This applies to all of the supporting characters in Dexter as well.[nb]And quite a few latter day Simpsons' writers.[/nb]

Hangthebuggers

Videodrome, The brood and They live -To name but three.