Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:19:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What films need to be remade?

Started by kidsick5000, December 21, 2011, 03:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mini

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on January 20, 2013, 05:57:40 AM
Videodrome, The brood and They live -To name but three.

Videodrome is being remade, but this is far from welcome.

Dark Sky

Quote from: Jemble Fred on January 19, 2013, 11:46:23 PM
All you need to know is that I saw it before you.

Did you?  How?  Even if you did see it first (possibly in the US or whatever), I'm not wrong about the hype for that film having been huge before it had even gotten a distributor.

Pretty twatty thing to leave me negative feedback over.

NoSleep

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Glebe on January 19, 2013, 05:45:44 PM
There's been more talk lately of remake of one of the films that shaped my childhood, Gremlins. Lot of folks - director Joe Dante included - reckon CGI would ruin it. If it was done with tender loving care though, there might be potential...

No, don't.

Kane Jones

Videodrome, The brood and They live -To name but three.

No, no, no.  All three are fantastic and should be left well alone.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Kane Jones on January 20, 2013, 11:25:23 AM
No, no, no.  All three are fantastic and should be left well alone.

Yep.  Even if they could technically be "improved" (which is the wrong word, really), they should still be left alone purely because I can see exactly what Hollywood would do to them in this era of shit.

I was going to suggest that Stephen King's The Stand must be ripe for a revisit but then (a) remembered the existing version was a TV mini-series and (b) discovered that a feature-length film version is apparently being developed by Warner Brothers with Ben Affleck at the helm. 

It'll be interesting to see what kind of slant they put on it, post-Lost (given that Abrams, Lindelof and Cuse admit they used The Stand as their basic template).

Blumf

They live

Not a remake, but maybe the first act could be re-edited a bit, it drags a little.

Johnny Townmouse

It's tricky because remakes are so appalling. So whilst some old films have ropey acting and are generally underfunded, it is usually part of their charm.

But the 80s were a bad time for film. With reservations, I think The Wild Geese and Who Dares Wins could be a really great films if someone could get the tone right.

Also, I think both Unbreakable and The Village are wonderful concepts that were completely squandered, so perhaps someone could take a run at them in a couple of decades.

Also, there seems to be a contradiction in this thread between remake, and a re-adaptation. I would like to see someone have a go at 1984 given that we are coming up to 30-years since Radford's wonderful film.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Blumf on January 20, 2013, 02:37:04 PM
Not a remake, but maybe the first act could be re-edited a bit, it drags a little.

Indeed - bizarrely, I just rewatched this earlier today, and it struck me just how plodding and aimless the first half of the movie is. I also think the themes could be explored with a tad more depth, but then it might transmogrify They Live into an entirely different film, and as it is, it's still bloody brilliant, so maybe leave it well alone.

Why I Hate Tables

The film version of Dennis Cooper's novel Frisk is appalling and seems to have been directed by someone who didn't read it properly. Either this should be rectified or David Lynch should film a screen version of Period, either one suits me and neither will happen. I discovered Cooper's work fairly recently and was quite excited when I found out Frisk had been filmed, only to see that they'd just got it totally wrong.

Nowhere Man

The Godfather trilogy with Eddie Murphy playing every character, you know's its got to happen.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 20, 2013, 03:08:52 PMAlso, I think both Unbreakable and The Village are wonderful concepts that were completely squandered, so perhaps someone could take a run at them in a couple of decades.

'Unbreakable' is fine as it as and 'The Village' would need so much work done that any remake might as well be a new film entirely.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 21, 2013, 09:18:16 AM
'Unbreakable' is fine as it as and 'The Village' would need so much work done that any remake might as well be a new film entirely.

Agreed.  I love Unbreakable - it's Shyamalan's best movie, IMO.  The Village is absolutely abysmal though.  A great cast let down by an appalling concept and script.  It's a ghastly mess.

Hangthebuggers

Of course when I say remade, I mean with utter perfection, dedication and true passion, which are three words missing from Hollywood these days.

I just meant, I'd love to see a modern spin on them, especially the brood. But yes, they are classics in some senses and should be left alone (except in my mind, where they would be brilliant).

Didn't know they were remaking videodrome though.

small_world

Mini

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on January 23, 2013, 12:35:33 AM
Didn't know they were remaking videodrome though.

Written by Ehren "Transformers" Kruger, no less...

Johnny Townmouse

I would happily see someone remake all of Shyamalan's films. I think he is excellent at concept development, an above par screenwriter, and an abysmal director. And a shocking actor.

I know that Unbreakable is well-loved by some people but for me it is too shlocky. It sets out to be a 'real world' super-hero' film but ends up falling back on much of the action that makes mainstream super-hero films so tedious.

The Village is a film with a very strong one-sentence concept. It just needs to be taken back to its bare-bones and remade - much like Gilliam did with 12 Monkeys.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 23, 2013, 12:29:33 PM
The Village is a film with a very strong one-sentence concept. It just needs to be taken back to its bare-bones and remade

The twist ending would definitely need to be changed as it's the most obvious and shite twist in movie history.  I guessed it a year before I saw it when I read the synopsis.  Also,
Spoiler alert
the monsters being the elders of the village dressed up in costumes
[close]
is one of the daftest and most ludicrous things I've ever seen. I nearly laughed out loud in the cinema at its sheer twattishness.  But yeah, take the concept of a village in ye olden days
Spoiler alert
(and NOT finding out "It's now!  You see, it's not the olden days - it's right NOW!! Just like a story I wrote in school!!")
[close]
having a pact with some creatures that live in the surrounding woods and you could have something marvellous.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Kane Jones on January 23, 2013, 12:43:30 PM
The twist ending would definitely need to be changed as it's the most obvious and shite twist in movie history.  I guessed it a year before I saw it when I read the synopsis.  Also,
Spoiler alert
the monsters being the elders of the village dressed up in costumes
[close]
is one of the daftest and most ludicrous things I've ever seen. I nearly laughed out loud in the cinema at its sheer twattishness.  But yeah, take the concept of a village in ye olden days
Spoiler alert
(and NOT finding out "It's now!  You see, it's not the olden days - it's right NOW!! Just like a story I wrote in school!!")
[close]
having a pact with some creatures that live in the surrounding woods and you could have something marvellous.

I think I see it as being informed by ideas in Stalker, The Shining, Solaris and Picnic at Hanging Rock in which a place seems to be sentient and threatening. The stuff with the elders is nonsense. I wanted THEM to be just as scared of the unseen antagonist. The notion of it being a ruse is irritating. But as a glimpse into false and human-made belief systems handed down from generation to generation, I think it has a lot of potential.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 23, 2013, 01:55:38 PM
The stuff with the elders is nonsense. I wanted THEM to be just as scared of the unseen antagonist. The notion of it being a ruse is irritating. But as a glimpse into false and human-made belief systems handed down from generation to generation, I think it has a lot of potential.

Absolutely.  Had Hurt, Weaver, Gleeson etc; also not known what was in the woods, it could've been fantastic.  Alas, Shyamalan pissed away another fabulous idea..

Spiteface

Quote from: Johnny Textface on December 21, 2011, 03:28:09 PM
Are you ok?

How about He-man ?

Hasn't this been in development hell for YEARS?  That said, it's actually been 10 years since the last cartoon series ended, so seeing as there's been some sort of He-Man in the 80's, 90's (The not-very-good "The New Adventures of He-Man") and 00's, we're about due for a new one now.

billtheburger

Johnny Townmouse

billtheburger

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 23, 2013, 02:30:26 PM
Remade or re-adapted?
Both.
I've not seen the 80's version, but have been told that it doesn't work.
I'd like to see an up to date version.

Obel

How can you even remake Videodrome? With DVD's instead of vhs tapes?

No. Just... no. It doesn't need a remake. Please leave.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on January 23, 2013, 12:29:33 PMI know that Unbreakable is well-loved by some people but for me it is too shlocky. It sets out to be a 'real world' super-hero' film but ends up falling back on much of the action that makes mainstream super-hero films so tedious.

When?  The bit where he
Spoiler alert
awkwardly saves that girl tied up in the house by jumping on the rapist's back and piggyback-riding him to death
[close]
?  Well, it would have improved 'The Hulk', certainly.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 23, 2013, 03:09:41 PM
When?  The bit where he
Spoiler alert
awkwardly saves that girl tied up in the house by jumping on the rapist's back and piggyback-riding him to death
[close]
?  Well, it would have improved 'The Hulk', certainly.

I agree with this.  I thought they kept the action suitably lowkey and in keeping with the tone of the film.  I still think it's Shyamalan's finest hour.  Mainly because the twist is
Spoiler alert
there is no twist.  Bruce's character really is super-human.
[close]
Sam Jackson's big reveal
Spoiler alert
could be considered a twist I guess, but that bit is so much fun, it makes me smile from ear to ear.  'Institution for the criminally insane' indeed.  Brilliant.
[close]

billtheburger

Unbreakable also seems to be shot with graphic novel angles and framing.
It seems to show a love of the comic book super hero with every scene.
It is certainly my favorite Shyamalan effort.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: billtheburger on January 23, 2013, 03:28:52 PM
Unbreakable also seems to be shot with graphic novel angles and framing.
It seems to show a love of the comic book super hero with every scene.
It is certainly my favorite Shyamalan effort.

Yep, that's it.

Also the terrible Flashback super-power shots.