Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:48:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ronald Searle Dead

Started by ajsmith, January 03, 2012, 11:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith

Only just heard that Ronald Searle died at the age of 91 (!) on the 30th December. At absolutely central figure on the development of European cartooning in the 20th century, I was always amazed and proud every time I remembered he was still around and working into the 21st. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16391857

ajsmith

Nah, he deserves more than a few tag puns that depend on the wrong pronunciation of his name to work. I cant believe there arent some fans on this board. Speak up!

vdbn

The Molesworth books are pretty much some of my favourite things in the world. I don't think Searle always got as much credit for them as Willans but, for me, the pictures get as many laughs as the text. Especially the one accompanied by the caption 'You have caught me sir, like a Treen in a disabled spaceship.'

Sad news.  Which prompted me to dig out my copy of The St Trinian's Story (complete with signed letter from Searle, asking one of the contributors for permission to use their material.)  It was compiled by Searle's (first?) wife Kaye Webb and contains genuine contemporary newspaper headlines to help sum up the St Trinian's world. e.g. "Children Push Baby Down Coal Hole."  There are cartoons as well to remind you (well, me) of the bleak world view, including the girls standing by a dead mistress, hanged by her neck, gleefully saying "Well that's ok, now for old 'Stinks'"
Funny, disturbing and beautifully drawn.
I also need to find my copy of "The King of Beasts & Other Creatures" which is brilliantly silly.  Also as noted in the post above the Molesworth books are a joy.

Notlob

Very sad news. I was a particular fan of his work in the Molesworth books; his drawings always lifted the text to a new level.

The Roofdog

Very sad. I went to an exhibition of his work at the Cartoon Museum about a year ago. His sketches done from a Japanese POW camp in the worst conditions imaginable are absolutely incredible. He was a court sketch artist at the Nuremberg trials as well.

Ignatius_S

Amazed that this is the first I've heard about this.

Quote from: The Roofdog on January 03, 2012, 10:23:10 PM
...I went to an exhibition of his work at the Cartoon Museum about a year ago. His sketches done from a Japanese POW camp in the worst conditions imaginable are absolutely incredible. He was a court sketch artist at the Nuremberg trials as well.

I remember seeing quite a bit to do with that exhibition, including an interview on C4 News that I found wonderfully informative.

jutl

Very glad to hear that he was still alive up until recently while simultaneously sad that he is now dead. I haven't seen this for years, but now I pine to do so again.