Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:05:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 7 and beyond (may contain spoilers)

Started by biggytitbo, January 07, 2012, 12:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

With filming due to start next month thought it might be wise to start a new thread for future Doctor Who news and speculation.

According to a usually reliable poster on GB, one old villain returning in series 7 is
Spoiler alert
The Yeti
[close]

The Roofdog

Hope Ambient Sheep won't mind if I keep his list going, it's nice to have it on the first page and he might not check in here for a while

Sheepy's expanded guide to Doctor Who threads

Main threads about the new series, in chronological order of creation:
2004/03/04 - 2004/03/20:  Izzard as Dr Who ? (Rampant speculation)
2004/03/20 - 2005/02/21:  And the new Doctor Who is... (Eccleston's announcement to the start of Series 1 (27))
2005/02/27 - 2006/10/10:  New Doctor Who (Series 1 (27) & 2 (28))
2006/11/01 - 2007/05/21:  Newer Doctor Who  (Series 3 (29) part 1)
2007/05/24 - 2009/10/21:  The New Doctor Who thread (Series 3 (29) part 2, Series 4 (30), 2009 up to but not including The Waters Of Mars)
2009/10/21 - 2010/03/26:  The "New" Doctor Who Thread (2009 just before The Waters of Mars to just before Series 5 (31/Fnarg) aired)
2010/03/18 - 2010/07/27:   Doctor Who - Series 5 Discussion (No Spoilers) (Series 5 (31/Fnarg))
2010/06/13 - 2011/01/15?: So, Doctor Who. (started as Fry's questions thread, mutated halfway down page 12 into general post-Series-5-(31/Fnarg) discussion, including the 2010 Christmas special)
2011/01/20 - 2012/01/05:   Doctor Who Series 6 (Series 6 (32))
2012/01/07 - 201?/?/?:        Doctor Who Series 7 and beyond (may contain spoilers) (Series 7 (33), the current series and beyoooooond)

Other Doctor Who threads, also in chronological order apart from the second one:
Old Doctor Who (Original thread, 2005/05/11 - 2010/06/08)
Old Doctor Who (Current thread, 2011/01/14 onwards)
Torchwood Series 1
The Sarah Jane Adventures (just the pilot, not Series 1)
The Best And Worst Of Doctor Who... Ever
Doctor Who - where does everyone stand now ?
Torchwood Series 2
Sarah Jane adventures- Series 2
Torchwood Series 3
Sarah Jane Adventures Series 3
Doctor Who and the SPOILERS OF DEATH (aborted Series 5 (31/Fnarg) thread)
Recommend me some Old Doctor Who
Junior Masterchef with Doctor Who
Doctor Who: The Adventure Games

VegaLA

Did anyone ever watch the last of the Sarah Jane episodes?
I have them but not watched them yet, wonder if they stopped abruptly or if they wrote something in to give it a decent send off?

wheatgod

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there's anywhere I can read shitloads of speculation about how many episodes of Who there will be over the next few years?

Cheers.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: VegaLA on January 07, 2012, 06:11:59 PM
Did anyone ever watch the last of the Sarah Jane episodes?
I have them but not watched them yet, wonder if they stopped abruptly or if they wrote something in to give it a decent send off?

There is a bit of an epilogue at the end of the last episode. It's very Father Ted. However, the second story of the season, The Curse of Clyde Langer, is far and away the best thing they've done. That, at least, is worth your time.

olliebean

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on January 08, 2012, 01:11:35 AM
There is a bit of an epilogue at the end of the last episode. It's very Father Ted. However, the second story of the season, The Curse of Clyde Langer, is far and away the best thing they've done. That, at least, is worth your time.

Yes, it's a shame they couldn't have found a way of switching that with the last story, which was, let's say, somewhat less good.

Mister Six

So is this thread going to use the usual spoiler policy from other threads (using spoiler tags on anything not broadcast within an episode)? Would be nice to have one big thread in which speculation and spoilers can reside without anyone having their viewing enjoyment compromised.

biggytitbo

Well there is a spoiler warning in the thread title.

I think we should still spoil genuine big spoilers, that you're not meant to know and aren't officially authorised. I don't think we should spoil anything else, especially speculation that some insider or other says might be true, or anything Moffat and co have officially announced.

The Roofdog

Oh let's not go through this again. If in doubt, spoiler.

biggytitbo

That doesn't work, because some people are insane about 'spoilers'. This thread has a spoiler warning in the title, so I think stuff like Moffat announcing a year in advance and it been reported in the papers and on TV that Amy is leaving is not a spoiler, but if someone on Gallifrey Base said he'd heard from a friend that the Master is returning, then that is a spoiler and should be tagged.

Mister Six

How's about: if it's been in the show then it's okay to print unspoiled.

If it hasn't - including 'Next Time' - then it doesn't?

Bosh. Easy, no fuss and it avoids a massive bloody great argument between biggy and bininput and everybody else in the world.

Obviously speculation - like how the ruddy hell they're going to run the schedules, or what monsters we're like to see back - ain't a spoiler. Whereas stuff that's been confirmed is.

biggytitbo

That's not going to work!

Since the show won't be broadcast for another 9 months, we can't have pages and pages of discussions about the departure of a major character all in spoiler tags.

If you want to start a strict no spoiler thread then start one, I think this should follow some sensible boundaries - if its officially announced we can discuss it freely without it been tagged, if it isn't officially announced and we're not meant to know - we spoiler it.

Simple.

The Roofdog

Yes it'll be annoying and pointless as fuck but it's better than having 2 threads.

Replies From View

I do think it's fair to suggest that if you're the kind of person who avoids Radio Times covers and turns off the television whenever a Doctor Who trailer starts to play, you probably shouldn't be visiting a thread on the show that isn't specifically labelled "unsubstantiated speculation ONLY".

biggytitbo

Exactly, what else are we going to talk about for 9 months? If Moffat comes out in a big interview and says he's bringing back the Rani, and its reported in the papers and on the news, I think its fair enough that we're allowed to talk about it in a thread with a 'may contain spoilers' in the title without having to censor most of the pages with black tape.

olliebean

Why hasn't someone posted the full plot of every episode in series 7 yet? This thread sucks!

Mister Six

So as not to trouble the thread with further arguments, there's a complementary thread here: http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=30529

It's basically the same as this one, but with spoiler tags covering the spoilers. So folks who want to discuss spoilers but don't mind using the spoiler tags can use it, as can people who want to discuss speculation without having their enjoyment spoiled, and people like me who waver between the two camps on a whim.

Replies From View

Can we have a "toothkind" Doctor Who Series 7 thread as well, please?

BritishHobo

One thread's always going to die a quick death though, so surely just agreeing/voting on a fucking Doctor Who spoiler policy instead of dragging this shit out for another nine months is preferable.

biggytitbo

So you're going to have a thread for 9 months where you can't report anything Moffat says, or the cast say about future episodes, or anything reported in the papers or on TV without having to black bar it?

We shouldn't have to black bar officialy announced and reported info, that's all. That's going to make up a huge amount of a thread like this and it'll get silly. Major unannounced plot points the spoiler tag away,

biggytitbo

Moffat tweeted this yesterday -
Quote"The Master is among us - @john_simm"

John Simm has just joined twitter, but I think Moffat is toying with us.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on January 10, 2012, 01:59:11 AM
people like me who waver between the two camps on a whim.

My prediction is that you won't end up visiting both threads; they won't both be sustained because nobody wants to keep rereading the same speculations being made "for the first time" in different places, and flitting back and forth on the off-chance that one of the threads has one new comment that the other one hasn't duplicated in its own words.

It needs to be one thread with one conversation or everyone's time will be wasted trying to reconcile information that shouldn't be apart.  If there has to be another thread at all, it should cater only for those who literally want no spoilers at all - the people who avoid Radio Times covers and Doctor Who trailers, but still want a space to speculate without contamination from those who actually know things.  A halfway thread is unnecessary and won't last.

PS - I vote for that spoiler free thread to be called Doctor Who Series 7 and beyond (toothkind), as an hilarious reference to Ribena, that other variant of this.

BritishHobo

I don't really see why the black bar is such a momentous thing, it's hardly an effort to click the button or hover the mouse over it.

Oh fuck, what am I doing, this is pointless.

On the note of the Master, the one thing I do love about series 6 (and, to a fairly lesser extent, series 5) is the move away from the same old villains. The inevitability of Daleks, Cybermen, Master, in talks of who should return, I find very fucking tedious. The show prides itself on change, and yet people stick so heavily to the same old baddies. Now, I know, we had a Cyberman episode and a Dalek episode, but never as proper Big Bads, and for the most part we're getting a lot of new stuff. The Order of the Silence or whatever the fuck they were were pretty poorly developed in series 6, but if Moffat's had plans to continue to build on that in S7 and flesh them out as a group of villains, what with Trenzalore and the Fall of the 11th and all that cryptic shit, good on him for trying something different with regards to the Big Bads. Even if they were an incredibly muddled and confusing organization of bad guys last series.

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 11, 2012, 12:13:44 AM
I don't really see why the black bar is such a momentous thing, it's hardly an effort to click the button or hover the mouse over it.

People should be decent about this and not reveal any actual spoilers without appropriate tags, but if black tape stops being a fairly rare occurrence, and we're constantly casually rolling our pointers over it, we're all far more likely to run into real spoilers.  That's why it's an issue to overuse tags.

Don't forget, we're nine months from a series airing.  If "anything at all that hasn't been aired" counts as a spoiler, then everything that isn't idle speculation will have to be covered up.  Basically it amounts to anything that has been vaguely informed by something officially released by the production team.   The thread will become horrible and unreadable for page after page for no good or fair reason.

There's a series 6 thread if you'd like to discuss stuff that's already been aired without new spoilers, and people can create a "speculation only" thread if that's what they want.  But I'd really like to know how many people truthfully avoid official interviews and photos in papers, and block their eyes and ears whenever a Doctor Who trailer comes on, yet come to a thread on the show that specifically states it may contain spoilers.  They sound barmy to me, to the degree of being fictional.

Replies From View

Having said all that, it makes sense to me that once a series starts airing, anybody should reasonably expect to discuss episodes that have aired without having future ones spoiled at the same time.  That's where I depart from Biggy's view; perhaps spoiler tags should be proportionally ramped up at that point, or we should set up an alternative thread then.

Wozzie

God! Please don't take Karen Gillan away from us so soon... :P

kidsick5000

Quote from: Wozzie on January 12, 2012, 10:00:36 AM
God! Please don't take Karen Gillan away from us so soon... :P

I don't mind if she goes, but please don't let her do some faux-saucy happy hooker show like Billie Piper

Tokyo Sexwhale

biggytitbo

...with that Silurian lesbian/victorian urchin combo.

In fact, make a Charlie's Angels style spin off where those 3 solve crimes in Victorian London and I'm there.

Replies From View