Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:39:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 7 and beyond (may contain spoilers)

Started by biggytitbo, January 07, 2012, 12:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canted_Angle

I s the 'black bar' debate just here to make up for the fact there is little to nothing to say about Who right now?

Replies From View

Quote from: Canted_Angle on January 12, 2012, 11:35:13 PM
I s the 'black bar' debate just here to make up for the fact there is little to nothing to say about Who right now?

You're continuing it; is that the reason?

I was personally contributing because some people have argued that it's important, including the person who started the thread.  Seems on topic to me, and certainly less annoying than when anyone stands outside a discussion and sneerily observes that it's happening.

biggytitbo

Some pure speculation doing the rounds. Moffat asked all his followers to follow sophia myles on twitter, saying he'd explain why later...or maybe not.

Some people are taking this to mean she's coming back as the Doctors companion...

Also Tom Spilsbury tweeted this:
Quote@TomSpilsbury Tom Spilsbury
Exciting secret meeting this evening. I am now even more excited than I was already about the next series of Doctor Who!!!
Quote@TomSpilsbury Tom Spilsbury
Sorry for one of those annoying tweets, it's way too early to say anything more anyway, but the next two years will be a very exciting time.

thin, thin time for Doctor Who news.

Still Not George

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 13, 2012, 09:11:59 AM
Sophia Myles
Now that's the only thing that could possibly salve the sting of losing Karen Gillan from the show.

biggytitbo

I suppose he could pop back to before she died and take her with him? I, like most people, were a bit disappointed at the end where it looks like she's about to become a companion but then a faulty fireplace intervenes. Madame De Pompadour in space would have been slightly better than Rose.

Endicott

If she did come back I don't think she'd play Pompadour.

Replies From View

Still Not George

Actually, I wasn't quite right earlier - I would also settle for Georgina Moffat.

she'd be settled for when I was finished with her etc etc etc

Replies From View

Quote from: Still Not George on January 13, 2012, 02:56:53 PM
Actually, I wasn't quite right earlier - I would also settle for Georgina Moffat.

she'd be settled for when I was finished with her etc etc etc

Fuck off The Doctor's Daughter fuck.

She looked about twelve with that stupid vacant face.  I don't care what her actual age is, David Tennant is a paedophile for fancying her.

biggytitbo

Quote from Adrian Lester:
QuoteI've had chats with my agent about it. We're going to-and-fro about considering it," he said, before hastily adding: "Not that it's on my lap to consider, but any actor offered that role would.

It's a gem of a role and it's got a long history. We keep having conversations about it.

Anyway, it's up the air...

Tokyo Sexwhale

Oh, it's him off Hustle.  I watched the first couple and wasn't impressed.  Is he any good in the rest of the series?

biggytitbo

He's alright, but nothing particularly inspiring. But I'm blacked up now, in my KKK gear and I just don't think there should be a black doctor. I know it's possible within the reality of the show, but for me the Doctor is a white English bloke in the same way Sherlock Holmes is, whatever his face is.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 14, 2012, 06:48:15 PM
He's alright, but nothing particularly inspiring. But I'm blacked up now, in my KKK gear and I just don't think there should be a black doctor. I know it's possible within the reality of the show, but for me the Doctor is a white English bloke in the same way Sherlock Holmes is, whatever his face is.

Like Tennant and McCoy?[nb]I know Tennant had an English accent but still[/nb]

I don't have a particular objection to a non-white Doctor, but the alternative to "white" seems always to be "black" - you never hear of asian actors linked with the part.

Or inuits.  Or jews.

The Doctor should definitely NOT be a woman though.

Ja'moke

biggytitbo

It just smacks of tokenism for me, same with the female doctor, smacks of every lame JNT Joanna Lumley for the next doctor publicity stunt. I'm not totally against the idea if they find someone amazingly right who happens to be black, or Chinese. But 11 times, regardless of the specific face and personality, he's been an eccentric white English bloke.[nb]Ok McCoy was Scottish, but not far off[/nb] and it just seems to me that thats kind of essmetial to the character. I mean, you wouldnt have a West Indian or an inuit playing James Bond, even though its technically possible, its just not who he is.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: Canted_Angle on January 12, 2012, 11:35:13 PM

Looks like it!

biggytitbo

John Simm has just said on twitter that he'd come back as the master for Moffat, whilst also telling all the grown ups giving him abuse on there for his portrayal of the master to fuck off and see a therapist. He's got a point.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 14, 2012, 06:48:15 PM
the Doctor is a white English bloke in the same way Sherlock Holmes is, whatever his face is.

In a parallel universe, Troughton's Doctor was black.

Or rather, a white man in black makeup, and probably with a strange voice added.

It's a parallel universe in which Doctor Who lasted only until the end of 1967, but I'm sure you'll agree it was well worth having.

phantom_power

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 14, 2012, 08:03:18 PM
It just smacks of tokenism for me,

Or looking at it from the other way, as there is no reason why he couldn't be black, why should the possible accusation of tokenism stop them choosing a black actor if Moffat thought they were the best actor to personify the doctor that he envisions in his next incarnation? I think Chewy Tool Edgy Four would make an excellent doctor, regardless of his colour. It is all about his poise and manner, which have nothing to do with his race

biggytitbo

Some real news at last:
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-01-18/steven-moffat-promises-at-least-14-episodes-in-doctor-who-series-seven

Series 7 starts in autumn, and consists of at 'least' 14 episodes. Moffat also writing some major cheques about their plans for the 50th anniversary. Let's hope his 'ass', as our American chums might say, can cash them.

The Roofdog

Sorry biggy, struggling to see why that's news. Because he said "at least"?

biggytitbo

Not sure it'd been confirmed that series 7 would start in the autumn and last 13-1 episodes though had it? If that's what he means, all very carefully worded...

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 18, 2012, 08:53:31 PM
Not sure it'd been confirmed that series 7 would start in the autumn and last 13-1 episodes though had it? If that's what he means, all very carefully worded...

This was known before, as far as I'm aware.  The question was always about what would be happening with series 8.  You were saying some reliable sources had 2014 down as a shit year.

The Roofdog

The waiting is killing me, I say we make our own episodes.

The Roofdog

gloria

Anyone catch this in the Guardian's interview with the Moff:

QuoteHe wrote a storyline recently about Doctor Who's mother.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/jan/20/steven-moffat-sherlock-doctor-who

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

That's just a gaffe from the writer of the article. He means Madge Arwell in The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe.

biggytitbo

Not much of a spoiler, but apperently shooting starts in a fortnight, with
Spoiler alert
Alex Kingston back as River Song
[close]
filming whatever episode they're filming first.

biggytitbo