Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:47:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 7 and beyond (may contain spoilers)

Started by biggytitbo, January 07, 2012, 12:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eluc55

Quote from: Replies From View on December 28, 2012, 05:28:45 PM
I just find it odd that as a fan of the classic series you have gone through the RTD years only to feel this episode has tipped you over the edge.
I like the old series, or periods of it. I prefer New Who. For years New Who has been my favourite show on TV.

And yet you've decided enough is enough because the female character isn't as everyday as someone like Rose or Martha, even though it's obvious that Matt Smith's Doctor is drawn to puzzles and Clara has the right kind of mystery to make him chase her.
Yes, because character is essential to good drama, and I find it so hard to feel anything for characters who don't resemble human's talking in any way whatsoever. Obviously the Doctor is an alien, but clearly to any sane person, he's still a very human like alien. Worse, there so bloody pleased with themselves as they banter.

Clara is a puzzle and the Doctor is drawn to her. That's fine. I never complained about that, or Clara's role in the story. I complained about her dialogue.

QuoteFair enough if Doctor Who is a kids' show and you've grown out of it; I just can't get my head around this Christmas episode being the worst the show has ever been.

When did I say I'd grown out of it? I hate the kids show argument. It's a family show, not a kids show; everyone can enjoy it. The problem is Moffat's dialogue. Stop putting words (text) in my mouth, and suggesting I have a problem with the show, and not bad writing. I loved loads of episodes these last few years, but Moffat's are getting worse.

Cerys

Clara's a bit of a chameleon, isn't she?  She's an East-end barmaid - but she's also an elocuted governess.  And then she's a sassy companion.  Her clever, quickfire exchanges with the Doctor are a result of her fitting in with how the Doctor himself converses.  There's no guarantee that she'll be any of the above when she comes back for the rest of the series.

Also 'it's smaller on the outside' - an observation that would be more natural for someone who was more familiar with being inside the TARDIS.  Hmmm.  Chameleon....

Replies From View

Quote from: eluc55 on December 28, 2012, 05:37:53 PM
I like the old series, or periods of it. I prefer New Who. For years New Who has been my favourite show on TV.

My mistake; I was accidentally attributing some of the things Mark Steels Stockbroker had said about the classic series to you.  Probably why I responded!

Quote from: eluc55 on December 28, 2012, 05:37:53 PM
Yes, because is character is essential to good drama, and I find it so hard to feel anything for characters who don't resemble human's talking in any way whatsoever.

I guess it depends on who you hang around with.  I don't find it particularly wrong or lacking in charm or emotion at all.

Danger Man

It really isn't an 'Old Who' vs 'New Who' argument.

It's the simple fact that Matt Smith has been the Doctor when the series turned to shite.

Cheers, bye.

Replies From View

Quote from: Danger Man on December 28, 2012, 05:51:42 PM
It really isn't an 'Old Who' vs 'New Who' argument.

It's the simple fact that Matt Smith has been the Doctor when the series turned to shite.

Cheers, bye.

Bye.

biggytitbo

You know what Clara is don't you?

Moffat loves City of Death.

alcoholic messiah

Cassandra will woo.

Rani swallows a doc.

Drill coon ass. Wawa!

Cerys

Replies From View

Quote from: alcoholic messiah on December 28, 2012, 09:44:53 PM
Cassandra will woo.

Rani swallows a doc.

Drill coon ass. Wawa!

Is this the Doctor Who version of scissors, paper, stone?

alcoholic messiah

Orca ID was swan. LOL.

War loon's AIDS claw.

Manic pixie dream companion.

Cerys

Replies From View

Best sweat over Humping Irons

Louvre lends Cattswall towards rent.  And caught with the Forces near B.A.O.R.E.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

How much yat would Adam Woodyat yat if Adam Woodyat could Tat Wood?

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 28, 2012, 11:02:03 PM
How much yat would Adam Woodyat yat if Adam Woodyat could Tat Wood?

Deafens if he is penciles or door knapper.

Cerys

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 28, 2012, 06:13:35 PM
You know what Clara is don't you?

Moffat loves City of Death.

Nah - only one i.

One i.

One eye!  Biggy, you're a genius!

alcoholic messiah

Assclown oil award

C.I.A.'s anal owl sword

World-class A.A. wino

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: alcoholic messiah on December 28, 2012, 10:40:58 PM
Manic pixie dream companion.

I've seen this suggested elsewhere (The AV Club, mainly) but can't say I agree with it. The MPDC is supposed to be a sort of almost bipolar quirky type whereas Clara's just a feisty Buffy-alike, with a decent collection of pithy one liners.

Replies From View

Bails out scrotum despite exhibitionism, lo!

Trends inevitably towards A and B.  Vimto.

alcoholic messiah

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 28, 2012, 11:20:10 PM
I've seen this suggested elsewhere (The AV Club, mainly) but can't say I agree with it. The MPDC is supposed to be a sort of almost bipolar quirky type whereas Clara's just a feisty Buffy-alike, with a decent collection of pithy one liners.

She ticks many of the requisite boxes[nb]I'm going by the "exists solely in the fevered imaginations of sensitive writer-directors to teach broodingly soulful young men to embrace life and its infinite mysteries and adventures" definition. In her first appearance she is most definitely exhibiting signs of mania, but has a pretty good excuse. There's no such mitigation for her quirky soufflé obsession.[/nb]. It's certainly enough of a trope that a smart writer would be wary of inviting casual comparison.

Assuming she continues in a similar vein to her first two appearances, my enjoyment of Clara's tenure on the show is likely to hinge on whether or not there's a valid story-internal reason that she is the way she is.

Cerys

Surely the mitigation for that was that it prodded the Doctor's memory so that he recognised her voice.  If she still has an obsession with soufflé in her next incarnation, yeah, that'll be silly.  But at the moment it's just a handy device.

alcoholic messiah

Cerys

In Asylum of the Daleks to establish it and in The Snowmen to utilise it.  I call shenanigans on your call of evil.

Although - how long has it been since a Companion has turned out to be a wrong 'un?

Thomas

Quote from: Cerys on December 29, 2012, 12:33:22 AM
Although - how long has it been since a Companion has turned out to be a wrong 'un?

Long enough. I'd enjoy to see a secret double agent[nb]like, working for baddie aliens and that.[/nb] travelling with the Doctor for a series.

alcoholic messiah

Her modern-day incarnation will almost certainly have an Animal Collective poster on her wall and a scrapbook full of Spangles wrappers. You know this to be true.

E-V-I-L

Cerys

Maybe her modern incarnation will also be deaf, with hilarious consequences.  Or have a thing about molluscs.  Or secretly be a nun.  Or all four.

Replies From View

She will run on all fours and have a go-go-gadget truncheon up her anus, which will require her to get her arse to head height to activate it.

biggytitbo

Barry Admin

Locking of some of the larger threads - please start a new one linking back to this to continue the discussion, thanks.