Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:30:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

DVD recorder buggered - what to replace it with...

Started by greencalx, January 08, 2012, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencalx

It seems that being a DVD player/recorder in the calx household is akin to being a drummer in Spinal Tap. After a year or so, the first player (a cheapie from Richer Sounds) developed an annoying lag between the video and audio tracks, making DVDs all but unwatchable. The second (a Sony, I think, cast off by my parents as they found it "too complicated" - and so did I) worked well until the main electrical supply to our flat burnt out and killed it (and the microwave). We replaced this with a not-cheap Panasonic recorder which, after five years service, has finally barfed with an "Unrecoverable error code" of the type I suspect will be costly to repair. (How long do people expect such things to last, btw? I just replaced a CD player after 20 years' of almost daily usage, and of course our old-fashioned CRT TV set and VHS recorders are indestructible in a way new kit seems not to be. Five years seems a bit shit to me.)

Anticipating that a repair will be almost as expensive as buying new kit, we're wondering what to replace it with.  A Freeview+ hard disk recorder appeals, particularly one that spots when things are actually on and records them for you, and knows about all the regional fucking variations that always catch us out.  Anyone got any experience with these? Also we like the 'pausing live TV' aspect, given that we have a baby that wakes up all the bloody time when we're watching something.

We'd still need something to play DVDs on, though, as we've got whole shelves of box sets to get through. There seems to be a plethora of players at the £25-40 mark - but given my previous experience with shitty cheap players, I have no idea what to look for. Also I'm confused as to why CD players seem to start at £150, given that what's inside the box must be somewhat similar. So, has anyone got any recommendations for DVD players that aren't faffy to use and last longer than a few months before developing a fault?

Consignia

It is probably worth investing in a freeview recorder, if you record a lot of TV. My experience suggests they are bit qurikier to use than commercial services like Sky+, but you get used to them relatively quickly. Some TVs are even integrating them into their sets now. My Samsung has a built in freeview/freesat recorder, which you can stick a USB stick into, and record onto it.

I don't know what to suggest in terms of DVD player. I payed quite a bit for my Blu-ray player, because it had good picture quality on DVD playback. It's probably worth looking at Hi-fi review sites, as they usually have DVD player sections, and break down their reviews by price bracket. Put in how much you are willing to pay, and see what comes out best.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

You can get a USB freeview thing, that plugs into the computer, for about 15 quid.

rudi

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's true. This is the sort I got (although that one appears to be a newer version). I'd never heard of the brand, but it works just fine. The bundled software wouldn't install for some reason, but Windows Media Centre worked with it perfectly.

greencalx

Sorry to be a Luddite but I want to watch telly on the TV in the living room, not on the computer in the study.

bomb_dog

Annoyingly, hard-drive recorders seem to be losing features as soon as they add new ones. Most new HD recorders have added freeview, but removed DVD-drives to be able to archive what you've recorded. They've added ability to record one channel and watch another, but the last time I watched one channel and wanted to record the other was around 2002.

I've got a unit similar to one of these and try to reduce its DVD-drive usage for when I really need to, to prolong its life. My parents bought the same one and it packed in last year. The one they replaced it with was much more expensive, but only records to disc in real time, like you're recording it all over again rather than copying to disc, and the manual is like one of those book-a-zines that WH Smiths sell, its so large and complicated to use. Horrible.

Any good ones currently available that can do the to-disc business well? Worth the extra few quid if you really like what you've taped.

And yes, I still say "taped".

Consignia

Surely most modern freeview recorders have USB out? So you copy them off the internal hard drive, and do what you like with the files, like record them to disc on a computer.

Uncle TechTip

Build a computer with a freeview tuner card and install mythtv, then you'll get the full freeview + experience with as much disk space as you can afford (I have 1.5TB, 23 days of recordings I'll never watch). Plus you can watch downloaded video, DVDs, play mp3s and everything else. Basically a lot like windows media centre but legally free.

olliebean

Quote from: Consignia on January 08, 2012, 01:27:09 PM
Surely most modern freeview recorders have USB out? So you copy them off the internal hard drive, and do what you like with the files, like record them to disc on a computer.

Trouble with that is I don't think any of them will let you do that with HD recordings, due to some crappy licensing requirements or something. A bit daft and pointless as you can easily bung an HD freesat or freeview card in your PC and do what you like with the recordings.

The Masked Unit

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on January 08, 2012, 01:48:53 PM
Build a computer with a freeview tuner card and install mythtv, then you'll get the full freeview + experience with as much disk space as you can afford (I have 1.5TB, 23 days of recordings I'll never watch). Plus you can watch downloaded video, DVDs, play mp3s and everything else. Basically a lot like windows media centre but legally free.

Wouldn't that mean that the computer had to be turned on in order to record something, and that you couldn't therefore record stuff overnight/when you're out  unless you leave it on all the time?

Uncle TechTip

Yeah, in a nutshell, you're right. I bought a quiet power supply and it's barely audible. Power consumption works out at around 6GBP a month.

katzenjammer

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on January 08, 2012, 01:48:53 PM

This is the best option IMO, but only if you're prepared to spend a lot of time configuring and troubleshooting.  I have a ATOM/ION HTPC running Openelec (XBMC) which is small, quiet and uses only 65W.  It stays on 24/7.  It cost about 220 quid.  It's possible to get something preinstalled like this too http://www.xtreamer.net/2012/xtreamer-ultra2.html

falafel

Get a PS3 with PlayTV, the TV tuner addon. Turns it into a PVR and you don't need to have it on the time to record something - it remembers the schedule, turns itself on and shuts down when it's done. It also checks the internet schedules
in case your program gets put forward an hour or something. Plus you get a blu ray player, the Internet, iplayer and the rest, not to mention the games... Second hand for well under two hundred smackers probably.

The Masked Unit

Quote from: falafel on January 10, 2012, 12:25:28 PM
Get a PS3 with PlayTV, the TV tuner addon. Turns it into a PVR and you don't need to have it on the time to record something - it remembers the schedule, turns itself on and shuts down when it's done. It also checks the internet schedules
in case your program gets put forward an hour or something. Plus you get a blu ray player, the Internet, iplayer and the rest, not to mention the games... Second hand for well under two hundred smackers probably.

Interesting; does it pick up the Freeview HD channels?

falafel

Sadly, and for whatever reason, the UK government decided to use a different standard for their hd broadcasting so it's not compatible - only SD. The upscaling is excellent though...