Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:53:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[muso] Radiophonic Workshop's Oramics machine unveiled to the public.

Started by alan nagsworth, January 08, 2012, 03:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9671950.stm

Late summer of 2011 saw Daphne Oram's glorious machine unearthed, mysteriously gathering dust in a French barn for god knows what bloody reason. Since then it has been promptly whisked back to Blighty, restored and put in a big perspex box or something, for all the Dubstep producers of Britain to gawp at on their college trips and wonder why it can't make arse-wrenching bass sounds like Skrillex can with a fucking Apple Macintosh.

And how sweet this machine is!

The video also features archive footage of Oram herself noodling about with the wondrous hunk of loose wires and cardboard switches and creating some beautiful sounds, and talking about the exciting wonders of the whole thing and the many doors it opened for electronic music innovation. Fascinating stuff!

momatt

I went to see this at the London Science museuam a couple of months ago.

It is a magnificent mess of a machine, I felt honoured to be able to see it.  It makes some bloody wierd sounds, which were playing in the background, unnerving everyone.
They also had a sweet touch screen emulator of the synth too, which was fun.

BlodwynPig

momatt

alan nagsworth

glitch

The demo you can play with is fucking gash. Good to see the full machine though.

mcbpete

Quote from: glitch on March 04, 2013, 05:38:05 PM
The demo you can play with is fucking gash.
Aye - make a wave somewhere between a sine wave and a slightly saw wave and then make the pitch wobble a bit. It sounds nothing like the real thing ...