Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:40:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Netflix vs Lovefilm. FIIIIIIIIIIIGHHHHT!!!!

Started by Santa's Boyfriend, January 09, 2012, 11:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I will never get back the time I spent searching through Netflix. Fuck em. It's 99% shit. It seems exciting for the first couple of months but when you scrape through the barrel and realise you're dead, your dead.

I get this Lovefilm reboot shite through my bank account. It was cool when it was Lovefilm because I'd just keep renting and they just kinda forgot about what I had. When they dropped games, I just kept them all. Get fuck.

Just get an Android telly box or something similar, so so much better and probably only costs 6 months of Netflix.

olliebean

So if you haven't got Netflix or Lovefilm or any of that gubbins, what do you watch on your Android telly box? I trust you wouldn't be advocating the downloading of unauthorised video files?

wasp_f15ting

I got a nice deal with amazon instant video (formerly lovefilm) when I renewed my prime membership I got a years free. From next year you have to pay £80 a year for amazon prime but this includes the free streaming. Now that they do Sunday deliveries, I don't really mind paying that bit extra.

If you do have lovefilm (amazon prime) please do watch Black Sails. Really wonderful little show that is like Assassins creed black flag.. Good story arc and some nice pirate action. I still watch the US netflix for the odd show here and there but it is becoming a bit bloated with too much shit.. both services have far too many shit shows and films.

VegaLA

MojoJojo

Quote from: imitationleather on May 10, 2014, 01:16:14 AM
By the way, I know it's only a pound, but that price increase makes me think I might cancel.

The price increase is only for new members. You should have an email saying that existing subscribers price won't go up for two years.

Cleaners From Venus

Quote from: MojoJojo on May 10, 2014, 05:28:36 PM
The price increase is only for new members. You should have an email saying that existing subscribers price won't go up for two years.

Indeed. Mine was assigned to my spam folder, so maybe it's getting the same treatment from others.

imitationleather

Well hot dog!

I guess this is a way of trying to get me to not cancel. I'm on to you, Netflix!

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 10, 2014, 06:54:16 AM
I will never get back the time I spent searching through Netflix. Fuck em. It's 99% shit. It seems exciting for the first couple of months but when you scrape through the barrel and realise you're dead, your dead.

Are you using UnblockUs or a similar service?  It's well worth it if the barrel feels scraped.  There's loads of good stuff that's only on particular regions (the US region doesn't have a monopoly on the good shit - Sweden and Canada have loads of stuff worth watching).

MojoJojo

The US version is probably worth checking first, since it has about 3 times as many shows as the other regions (about 10,000 to 3,000 is what I heard).

VegaLA

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on May 11, 2014, 10:12:39 AM
Are you using UnblockUs or a similar service?  It's well worth it if the barrel feels scraped.  There's loads of good stuff that's only on particular regions (the US region doesn't have a monopoly on the good shit - Sweden and Canada have loads of stuff worth watching).

Thirded..blockless is damn good for £3.00 a month.

Santa's Boyfriend

The Brazil region of Netflix just became a good place to check out.  I'd already watched Schindler's List and The Spiderwick Chronicles on there (an interesting double bill), but Ender's Game, Wolf of Wall Street and the TV series Vikings have all just appeared on it.  Oh, and Battleship, if that's your thing.

phantom_power

It is worth looking around the regions. One of them, possibly Mexico, had The Dark Knight Rises months ago. Another one (Canada?) has got Computer Chess which is worth a look. In general the Canadian one has a lot more low budget indie films than the American or UK ones.

moreflicks.com is a good way of searching for films across all regions of Netflix (and Hulu etc as well)

Santa's Boyfriend

I've started using an iPhone app with UnbockUs.  It's a paid for app (£1.99 I think) but means you can change region via your phone, which is well handy if you're watching Netflix via a console or TV.  But the other thing it has is a "what's new" option and a search option, which will tell you if they've got the film and what region it's on.  (The search feature is sometimes a bit out of date - a couple of times I've searched for films, it's said Netflix had it, went onto Netflix and found it's since been deleted.  But that's my only criticism.)

olliebean

adfreetime.com will do for me for around £1.25/month. Only unblocks Netflix, but if that's all you need then that's fine. They have a free iOS (7 only)/Android app for changing regions, and they also have an option to remove forced subtitles which can be very useful with the foreign language regions, where sometimes you can't turn off the foreign subtitles on English films.

phantom_power

Quote from: olliebean on May 14, 2014, 10:08:21 PM
adfreetime.com will do for me for around £1.25/month. Only unblocks Netflix, but if that's all you need then that's fine. They have a free iOS (7 only)/Android app for changing regions, and they also have an option to remove forced subtitles which can be very useful with the foreign language regions, where sometimes you can't turn off the foreign subtitles on English films.

Looking at that website it seems it unblocks Hulu and other services as well. Does the andriod app allow you to switch regions for all the devices attached to your router or is it just for the android device you have the app on?

Joy Nktonga

Quote from: phantom_power on May 14, 2014, 09:11:55 AM
It is worth looking around the regions. One of them, possibly Mexico, had The Dark Knight Rises months ago.

moreflicks.com is a good way of searching for films across all regions of Netflix (and Hulu etc as well)

If anyone's interested DKR is on Danish Netflix (no forced subs if the comments are to be believed). I'm accessing it using Hola Unblocker.

Thanks for the tip about moreflicks.

MojoJojo

Are these unblocker services people paying for much more that a well maintained list of DNS services and a convenient way of changing them?

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: Joy Nktonga on May 15, 2014, 07:29:58 PM
If anyone's interested DKR is on Danish Netflix (no forced subs if the comments are to be believed). I'm accessing it using Hola Unblocker.

Thanks for the tip about moreflicks.

I think the animated Dark Knight Returns is on there too.  It's on one of them anyway.

olliebean

Quote from: phantom_power on May 15, 2014, 02:57:12 PM
Looking at that website it seems it unblocks Hulu and other services as well. Does the andriod app allow you to switch regions for all the devices attached to your router or is it just for the android device you have the app on?

Yes, I got my wires crossed - other US services can be unblocked too, but it's only Netflix that it does regions other than the US for. The region selected, whether by website or app, applies to all devices you're using the service on (i.e. everything attached to your router if you change the DNS in your router settings, apart from Chromecast probably because apparently that has Google's DNS hardcoded into it).

olliebean

Quote from: MojoJojo on May 15, 2014, 08:30:14 PM
Are these unblocker services people paying for much more that a well maintained list of DNS services and a convenient way of changing them?

They have their own DNS servers, which IME are far more reliable than the dodgy free ones floating around the net and have the plus that you don't need to try half a dozen or more until you find one that works.

Santa's Boyfriend

A couple of new documentaries have appeared on NEtflix US:  One is a Calvin and Hobbes documentary, the other is a JFK documentary.  The JFK one puts forward a theory I've not heard before, but was very interesting and feels rather more convincing than the Oliver Stone one.

Famous Mortimer

What's the JFK one called? If it's "The Smoking Gun", it's a 1992-era theory from a ballistics expert...that I don't know tons about. There's a very positive review of the book it was based on here though, if you want to read it. If it is true, it at least proves the million other theories wrong, which I could live with at this point. I presume there's been analysis on its claims since then, but I find I have less desire to hunt through millions of websites to find this stuff than I used to. It does have the whiff of "we've tried literally every other theory we can think of, let's give this one a try" though (the theory is seen as pretty unusual even among conspiracy theorists).

Santa's Boyfriend

Yeah that's it.  Is it an unusual theory on the basis that it simply suggests one massive fuckup?

Steven

Utter plop. If there's one single undoubted piece of evidence in the JFK assassination, it's that he received an early shot to the throat from the front. You can argue swings and roundabouts with the headshot and the multiple bullets in the windscreen and parts of the car, but the throat wound cannot be argued with. This was then cut up in a tracheotomy to disguise the wound in later examinations.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on May 29, 2014, 05:03:02 PM
Yeah that's it.  Is it an unusual theory on the basis that it simply suggests one massive fuckup?
All I got from my (limited) research was that it was considered unusual, even by people who've suggested incredibly elaborate conspiracies. That the book it's based on has been out of print for 20 years and has very little stuff surrounding it would indicate there's problems with it.

But the film may have new research or may suggest a slightly different order to things, so it's probably still worth watching.

PS. Steven's "undoubted piece of evidence" is nothing of the sort, of course - http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/factoid5.htm - but I honestly can't be bothered going down the route of arguing about this again. Sorry if I've ballsed up this thread, everyone else reading it.

Steven

It is undoubted, unless you're trying to tie in everything to a predetermined conclusion of course. I'm not arsed arguing about it either.

The most unusual theory is not the Smoking Gun one anyway, it's that the driver shot Kennedy, witnesses did say they heard and saw shots from inside the car, and one of the Secret Servicemen had his gun drawn. The Zapruder film is altered and too poor to say one way or another anyway, except Bill Greer the driver did not follow one instance of his training procedure during the assassination and due to the alteration of the film and witness statements slowed the car down to a crawl or came to a full stop until old JFK's noggin exploded then cheerily stepped on the gas pedal again.

Santa's Boyfriend

Steven

Did I take the thread off-topic? It's just a construct maaaaaan, you're all just sheep following the herd maaaaaaaaaaan!

Seriously though, I was trying to use Netflix last night to find a good Horror movie to watch so I used a proxy to get the US selection, and it's a nightmare (appropriately), you have to scroll through a million titles and hover the mouse over each one to get a description and rating. Why don't they have an option to list stuff by rating or something, I gather it's not in their interest to do this. There are some websites that are meant to do it for you but I found these to be severely lacking. Is there a decent app or plugin to do this?