Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:15:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

films that made you cry

Started by weaseldust, January 13, 2012, 08:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weaseldust

we've all done it - but to which ones?

for me, basically any film with a sad moment will make me have a secret tear. you know when your eyes fill up with tears and you can't see anything, you just have to wait for it to sort of subside? do they go back in?? sounds unhealthy, anyway, i even got a bit too upset when my friends made me watch 'marley and me' with them. i don't even like dogs.

what else? 'the lord of the rings', 'the elephant man'..

don't move the thread, it belongs here

Dead kate moss

It's a cliche, but the end of Its A Wonderful Life gets me.

biggytitbo

Inaniloquent

Hana-Bi, a Takeshi Kitano film. I bawled like a baby.

Ginyard

Rocky IV when Apollo Creed dies.

The end of Planes, Trains & Automobiles.  John Candy.  All alone in the train station.  The revelation.
BLUB.

wosl

Ginyard

Enter the Dragon when Williams dies.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I cry at loads of films these days - especially 'secret tears' as mentioned in the first post.

Several moments in It's a Wonderful Life get me. I've not yet managed to watch Toy Story 3 without blubbing. Not a film, but Marion and Geoff, particularly the end of the 2nd series, has me weeping uncontrollably every time.

I'm a mess.

I'd never cried at a film until I watched Half Nelson and that had me blubbing like an idiot, not sure why, I think I was having a bad day or something. Ever since then I find myself getting choked up by absolutely anything. Kung Fu Panda 2 recently set me off (
Spoiler alert
The bit where Po finds out he's adopted
[close]
).

shiftwork2

The end of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, heartbreaking and utterly inspiring.  What a magnificent film.

doppelkorn

Quote from: weaseldust on January 13, 2012, 08:03:44 PM
you just have to wait for it to sort of subside? do they go back in?? sounds unhealthy

They do go back in. If you pull down your eyelids to expose the inside slightly you will see two small holes on the inner side. The tears drain away down these fleshy plugholes, slip down your nose pipes and down your throat where you swallow them. How do I know this? I was born a freak and do not posess these holes on my right eye. This means my right eye is permanently filling up with tears and the operation to fix it involves grafting some plastic pipe into my face.

To answer your question it's Saving Private Ryan at the end. That's Saving Private Ryan.

alan nagsworth

Every time a sad bit comes on anything and I'm with people, I always feel the overwhelming urge to sniff or I get an itchy eyeball. As soon as I fulfill the urge I'm like 'Do these fuckers think I'm crying now? I bet they think I'm such a pathetic, feeble human for this.'

Of course in reality I cry at absolutely everything so it's not surprising that most people would think that about me anyway, but the times that I don't cry, seriously it's like my body is telling me 'You might as well be crying, you puff. You cry all the time. Have an itchy eyeball and see how you cope with that. What? Too much irritation for you to not scratch it? Is that annoying you? Are you going to fucking cry now? Well GO ON THEN CRY.'

In response to the OP the film I cry at the most is 'In Bruges'. I don't try to fight it at all, it just gushes out of me. Crying at films is ace.

Gulftastic

The opening bit of 'Up' (Pixar, not Russ Meyer) was heart-breaking. I'm glad I didn't watch it in the cinema. My manly facade would have been shattered.

Much as it was over 20 years or so ago when I watched 'Cyrano De Bergerac'. Some say it never recovered.

And Toy Story 3 got me a couple of times. When they were nearly put in the incinerator and the toys all held hands, and at the end.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 13, 2012, 09:13:54 PM
The end of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, heartbreaking and utterly inspiring.  What a magnificent film.

Yes.

The end of The Snowman

The end of Mary and Max

In Cast Away when
Spoiler alert
Chuck loses Wilson
[close]
. Sorry. Ridiculous perhaps but Hanks really sells the scene.

Jerzy Bondov

Just thinking about the end of Where The Wild Things Are, when Max
Spoiler alert
is sailing away in the boat and Carol is running down the beach, too late to say a proper goodbye because he's been so stubborn
[close]
, I don't know why but it really sets me off. Awwww Jesus.

It's fun to cry at films. If you're not having an emotional reaction then what's the point?

madhair60

End of The Iron Giant, as with all functioning humans.

There She Is!  Five movies of progressive excellence and melancholy.  Not a film.

And the episode of Fresh Prince where Will's dad bails out on him.  Yeah, it's also not a film, but it's the saddest thing ever.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on January 13, 2012, 09:54:40 PM
The end of Mary and Max

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 13, 2012, 09:25:46 PM
The opening bit of 'Up' (Pixar, not Russ Meyer) was heart-breaking. I'm glad I didn't watch it in the cinema. My manly facade would have been shattered.

Both of these had me sobbing, though I am an emotionally damaged so and so.

Also: Harold and Maude.

madhair60

small_world

Synechdoche.

Mainly this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8BgFTR4PjQ&feature=related

And the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APGVt1ymESg&feature=related
"Now you are here, it's 7:33, now you are here, it's 7:44, now you are.... gone".

I don't know. It just encompasses a life so well. The hopes we have, the confusion. How it feels like things are so difficult to control, and we never realise that we're not MEANT to control everything.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on January 13, 2012, 08:39:36 PM
The end of Planes, Trains & Automobiles.  John Candy.  All alone in the train station.  The revelation.
BLUB.

This!

Also, the bit with the old guy in Into The Wild.

BlodwynPig

Housekeeping
Honogurai mizu no soko kara

rjd2

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 13, 2012, 11:07:11 PM
This!

Also, the bit with the old guy in Into The Wild.

Aye, that got me to, somebody here said the old chap in real life gave up on religion after that.

riotinlagos

Quote from: madhair60 on January 13, 2012, 10:24:24 PM
And the episode of Fresh Prince where Will's dad bails out on him.  Yeah, it's also not a film, but it's the saddest thing ever.

Gets me every time!

The bit in The Fly 2 when Eric Stoltz is reunited with his childhood pet.
Big soppy Donald Sutherland in Ordinary People.
The end of Philadelphia with Neil Young and the old home videos.
Grave of the Fireflies, Au Revoir Les Enfants, Scarecrow, and loads more.

Dear Zachary was very hard to get through, wouldn't watch it again. 

lipsink

Jessie's Song from 'Toy Story 2':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmV73o8bYJM&feature=related

Sniff

The ending of 'Walkabout' also got me squirting (tears, not jizz).

I watched The Snowman over Christmas and just the music made my eyes well up. I was watching it with my mum and we both just got up and started to tend to vegetables and stuff. It's too sad and beautiful, even thinking about it now is making my eyes water. Such a significant part of my childhood.

Bugsy Malone, though I'm crying because I'm so happy at the end. It also seems to be the truest, most simple message that's most easily forgotten. You give a little love and it all comes back to you.

Gulftastic

Quote from: madhair60 on January 13, 2012, 10:24:24 PM

Yes. I can't even watch that. It brings up too many personal issues and really sets me off on a downer. 

Phil_A

Dancer In The Dark is fucking devastating. Not sure I could make it through that again.

Wall-E also makes me tear up like a big blubbing baby man.

Brundle-Fly

Whistle Down The Wind "Have we missed him? Jesus?"

First Men In The Moon "Poor Cavor! He did have such a terrible cold."

Cinema Paradiso Now, this gets me sobbing as soon as it starts. The Morricone score is exquisite. But it's the village idiot pushing the shopping trolley near the end. Waaaah...