Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:41:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Websites that need to keep up with the times, grandpa

Started by alan nagsworth, January 13, 2012, 09:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

I spend a lot of time on Last.fm slagging off shit bands and praising good bands to high heaven, and I swear that place would benefit so much from having a proper reply notification system. People are writing @username in response to their comments but it doesn't actually tag them or anything, it's just like a vague hope in the dark that the person will return to that page and notice someone has replied before their comment disappears off the front page of the shoutbox. Even comments other people endorse have to be copypasta'd with a [2] written at the end instead of a comment rating system such as Reddit or YouTube's. Why don't they have a proper reply/rate function? YouTube and Facebook has made everyone, myself included, far too lazy to send a PM or visit their profile shoutbox to reply, and I'd much prefer to have an actual music discussion on a band's page where other people can read and join in. COME ON, BOFFINS.

Similarly but of no major importance because 99% of the people contributing are utter plebs, the forum layout/setup on IMDb is so phenomenally archaic, right down to its Times New Roman font. Utter shite, and considering it's apparently the number one place to find out everything you want to know about films, it's certainly off-putting to be met with such a crappy and frustrating manner of discussing said films.

Only over the last year or so has SongMeanings finally integrated a comment +/- and a reply function, and that is a website purely designed for the open discussion of the meanings of songs. What the fuck, man?

What other websites are way behind the times?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 13, 2012, 09:16:59 PM

What other websites are way behind the times?

That fucking Cook'd and Bomb'd shite is in need of a complete overhaul. Its fucking Global Network Navigation all over again.

LastFM is archaic, but they do seem to spend a lot of effort on trying to recruit the brightest and the best.

Eis Nein

The Guardian comments section (yes, I know, signal to noise, trolls a key function of US commercial outreach) is arse. They've just added a respond function that may as well not be there.

The flipside of obsolescence: not chivvying you or, naughtiest of all, requiring you to use Facebook logins.

glitch

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 13, 2012, 09:16:59 PM
I spend a lot of time on Last.fm slagging off shit bands and praising good bands to high heaven, and I swear that place would benefit so much from having a proper reply notification system. People are writing @username in response to their comments but it doesn't actually tag them or anything, it's just like a vague hope in the dark that the person will return to that page and notice someone has replied before their comment disappears off the front page of the shoutbox. Even comments other people endorse have to be copypasta'd with a [2] written at the end instead of a comment rating system such as Reddit or YouTube's. Why don't they have a proper reply/rate function? YouTube and Facebook has made everyone, myself included, far too lazy to send a PM or visit their profile shoutbox to reply, and I'd much prefer to have an actual music discussion on a band's page where other people can read and join in. COME ON, BOFFINS.

Have you suggested anything to them? My housemate works there so I can bring it up with him if you want?

alan nagsworth

Do it! I've never thought to really bother, to be honest, but I'll have a word as well if you reckon they'll take it on board. Seemed to me like something they would have been daft or blind to have not already considered, though, what with the times a-changin' as they are.

edit: Actually I just looked at the feedback and ideas forum on there. Hardly seems worth mentioning such a small gripe as mine is when there are so many other, bigger problems going unsolved because of extremely slow development by the staff (for one reason or another).

WesterlyWinds

The libcom website's forum burns my eyes when I try to read it, the layout/style reminds me of forums I used to read at least 5 years ago. It's a shame really, because a lot of the content is interesting, I just can't spend more than 30 minutes on it without my eyes bleeding.

glitch

Quote from: WesterlyWinds on January 15, 2012, 10:50:19 AM
I just can't spend more than 30 minutes on it without my eyes bleeding.

I have the same problem but down to the content rather than anything else.

Nags - I'll forward your posts on to my mates that work there and see what they say. In theory development should start to get better, there have been a few political reasons why it might have been slow in the past two years.

biggytitbo

Aintitcool's 1998 look is deliberate isn't it? I kind of like it anyway, no point changing it for the sake of it.

WesterlyWinds

Quote from: glitch on January 15, 2012, 10:59:30 AM
I have the same problem but down to the content rather than anything else.

Admittedly some of it is not to everyone's tastes, but any website that has a Das Kapital reading group is alright by me.

glitch

Quote from: WesterlyWinds on January 15, 2012, 11:56:37 AM
Admittedly some of it is not to everyone's tastes, but any website that has a Das Kapital reading group is alright by me.

My biggest gripe with it is the unwavering support for the Labour party on pretty much all its opinion pieces. It's the biggest why I can't take it (or Comment is Free) at all seriously.

Oh and Funny Sundial.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 15, 2012, 11:26:35 AM
Aintitcool's 1998 look is deliberate isn't it?...

In a 'we haven't been bothered to revise the design since we started' way, yes.

CEX's website is pooshit.  Want to browse DVDs for sale in different genres in your local store?  To do that, you have to click the genre in question, and then choose your city from a mammoth drop-down list, which is dead frustrating when you have to do the drop-down list thing every single time you click on another genre.  Arse.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Either this is deliberate, or Neil Innes needs web development help.

http://www.neilinnes.org/

Hangthebuggers

Dead kate moss

Quote from: waste of chops on September 11, 2012, 08:57:17 PM
www.fabricland.co.uk

Hoho! The FAQs is good too.

QuoteAre any of the swatches free?
YES / IF YOU REQUIRE ONE OR TWO SWATCHES OF SOMETHING SPECIFIC NO CHARGE IS MADE we send them out 2nd class post.     We are a victim of our own success, so many people want free samples it can take 7-10 days to get your samples please be patient.....
our sample lady is doing her best.

Bugger had to scan this one...

I love 'ordered it, unseen, so to speak.' in the different fonts and colours... but a skull and crossbones, really?

momatt

Quote from: waste of chops on September 11, 2012, 08:57:17 PM
www.fabricland.co.uk

Wow, this is just fantastic.  Exactly like time travel.
Would you have serious dealings with any website that has these unexplained pictures on the front page?

Dark Sky

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on September 11, 2012, 09:19:17 PM
Blimey. It's like stepping back in time (a little bit).

...except with anachronistic references to Facebook.  Or rather, "face book".

From the About Us page:
"A family FABRIC company not just a family business but an i-family business like i-pod."

What?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on September 10, 2012, 07:16:18 PM
Either this is deliberate, or Neil Innes needs web development help.

http://www.neilinnes.org/

If I remember rightly, that Innes site was started by two American fans, who noticed he didn't have one. Entirely a labour of love - the site doesn't have a uniform design, so it's rather a case of new sections have  new look. Bit of a tangent, but I believe that they people who run it, also help  drumming up support in the States for Neil (going from memory, I think the two crop up in The Seventh Python documentary and a one part showed Neil going to a LA radio station to be interviewed and plug live dates).

Innes does have his own site/blog, but it's only occasionally updated.

Tokyo Sexwhale

I thought this one had already been posted  - Northern Uproar presumably paid their domain fees way in advance:

http://www.n-uproar.u-net.com/

momatt

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on September 12, 2012, 11:15:59 PM
I thought this one had already been posted  - Northern Uproar presumably paid their domain fees way in advance:

http://www.n-uproar.u-net.com/

That is fantastic.  Almost all in Comic Sans too.

Hangthebuggers

Prepare yourselves.[nb]This website is about a woman who is proud to be a virgin[/nb]

http://www.sarahjanenewbury.com/

Oh and she even links to this one too

http://www.tonydurant.co.uk/

(no fucking idea).

QuoteSarah Jane has got these documents to prove she is genuinely intact and that she has not had any plastic surgery!

She asked her Doctors this year to examine her to prove that she is still intact and doesn't need a smear test.  The letters also prove that she has never been pregnant.  The fact that Sarah Jane is an intact virgin means that she can sue, which is why tape recordings of slander were given to doctors proving that she has not imagined it, is not paranoid, and has never had any illness other than flu and is lucky to have good health

Tokyo Sexwhale

She has a section on "Ex-Boyfriends", "People Sarah Jane was fond of but never agreed to go out with" and "Admirers"!
People Sarah Jane was fond of but never agreed to go out with

Sarah Jane was very fond of Paul Clark who she worked for years ago. They spoke on the phone for a while after and he sent her a card with kisses from America but never kissed.

Sarah Jane was very fond of Martin Taylor, Paul Hopkins and Jay Langley at Brann in Bristol. They all cancelled each other out. None of them were boyfriends or kissed.

Sarah Jane was very fond of Victor Riorden at BT in Bristol. She never kissed him. There was a lot of jealous women and men and a woman who liked Victor ended the temporary contract as soon as Victor left and she took over. There had been anonymous notes left in her folder telling her to leave or get fired for quite a while.  She worked there nearly a year, so it was a lot more than the 3 months contract originally agreed to.

Sarah Jane was very fond of a man called Andrew in Trowbridge. She never kissed him.

THIS IS  GOLD!

Dead kate moss

The whole site is fabulous. From the 'Q & As' -

"Have you ever thrown bread rolls, rotten apples or eggs or anything at anyone ?"

"No."

Tokyo Sexwhale

AWE.SOME!

QuoteMy Poem to the Queen Mum
Our darling Queen Mother was born the 9th beautiful baby of a charming brave family
Always staying sweet and fresh and retaining an adorable child like quality

A sparkling feminine little girl, long dark hair like a fine porcelain doll and large deep eyes
Growing up to be asked to marry the nice sensible Prince was no surprise

Petite curvy beautiful and fresh she eventually agreed to become a bride as lovely as any ever seen
As a faithful servant of the church, the people and her husband this national treasure became a worthy queen

Always complying with morality, sensible health, kindness and the sanctity of marriage
Our Queen Mother deserved her fairy tale life and to wave nicely from a golden carriage

She showed making the effort of wearing colourful pretty clothes, lipstick, feathers and lace
Makes many people cheerful with an enhanced confidence and is a sign of individuality, art and femininity and no disgrace

This angel a good clean channel of the holy spirit always made people feel cared about, equal and a friend
She never became cruel, or selfish on earth to the very end

She always tried to understand and make people laugh not cry
But she always advised and kept the example of the church and will never die

I dreamt about her a week after she died and I have no doubt she will watch over us on earth with love
I am so delighted she is now back to her prime of life and again side by side with her adored husband above

To thank this tiny angel who always stood by the people and helped especially during the tragic times and dangers of war
Please support her sensible good daughter and subsequent monarchs who by following their unselfish example will show their love for her, god and us more

Please bind any dangers, bad influences and ungodly types from destroying the reputation of the extremely nice and emotionally vulnerable royal family heirs by dragging them down
As not only can they loose their health, eternity in heaven but could destroy and bring to an end forever the whole royal family holding a crown

I heard many speculating about possible future Kings and Queens saying singing in church, saying words, wearing smart clothes and diamonds is not enough
As people today expect privilege to be earned by individuals and for a King or Queen to be defender of the faith they must be like our Queen as well as kind of strong unselfish moral stuff

To those people I say if the Queen, the Holy Spirit and the Churches good advice is followed a hundred percent as it must be
The next heir can be a loved popular King accepted by god and the millions and make those in heaven and earth happy

With all my love to our Royal Family and all the people on earth and in heaven,

Sarah Jane Newbury

Hangthebuggers

QuoteSarah Jane was very fond of Martin Taylor, Paul Hopkins and Jay Langley at Brann in Bristol. They all cancelled each other out. None of them were boyfriends or kissed.

Does anyone want to explain the logistics of this then ^ ?

How does that work?