Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,396
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:15:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Everything you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask

Started by The Region Legion, June 16, 2004, 12:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Last night I was lying in bed letting my mind drift from thought to thought when a question popped into my head which I didnt have an answer for. From that question, an idea for a thread occured.

Is there any question that you don't have an answer for that you would like answered? I'm thinking in general knowledge terms eg. why is the sky blue? what's the point of thursday? only better.

Of course, a quick google would probably uncover the answers to any of the questions we have, but putting it in thread form means we can all share the bounty of knowledge that shall no doubt spew forth.

Anyway, my question..

Why do asians have thinner eyes?

I can understand black people having black skin.. something to do with it being hotter where they're from so they evolved to have extra protection or something (could be lies of course).. but this one totally puzzles me.

Feel free to add questions even if none get answered, hopefully some genius will turn up eventually and answer them all in one long post on page 5.

gazzyk1ns

Why are front and rear brake calipers always positioned differently (assuming discs all round)? Is it something to do with the steering rack getting in the way of the optimal position of the front calipers? I know front and rear braking balances are almost always different, but surely the position of the grip which pads have on a disc is irrelevant?

Pseudopath

Quote from: "DevlinC"

Why do asians have thinner eyes?

The eyelid crease, a dominant genetic trait, is determined by the structure of the levator muscle, which controls the opening of the lid. While everyone--Asians and non-Asians alike--has this muscle, in non-Asians an extension of the muscle causes a crease to form when the eyes are opened. Asians do not always have this extension, but instead have an extra layer of fat.

There are a number of theories as to the origins of this distinction, but the general consensus is that this layer of subcutaneous fat developed as a response to cold climates (particularly in areas of high altitude).

Another common feature of Asian eyes is the epicanthal fold. This is a skin fold of the upper eyelid (from the nose to the inner side of the eyebrow) covering the inner corner (medial canthus) of the eye. This fold covers and appears to lower the inner corners of the eyes, creating the appearance of "slanted eyes."

The presence of an epicanthal fold is normal in people of many though not all groups of Asian descent. Epicanthal folds may also be seen in young children of any race before the bridge of the nose begins to elevate.

An epicanthal fold is also common in people with Down syndrome and is the origin of the (once neutral, now considered offensive) term "mongoloid.".

falafel

You'll never get to the bottom of this one. I know I haven't (but I'm past caring now):

Why don't I like girls?

Quote from: "falafel"You'll never get to the bottom of this one. I know I haven't (but I'm past caring now):

Why don't I like girls?

Because you're a big poof.

That was easy.

And thank you Pseudopath!

zozman

Why do black people (yes, all of them in the entire world) say the word "axe" instead of "ask".

This is all getting a bit BNP isn't it?

Does the fact that the BNP are the British National Partymean that they're more cosmopolitan that Ukip, who are just the UK Independence Party?

zozman

oooh, oooh, I've got another one that always confused me.  Why do the 3 musketeers have swords and not, um, muskets?

mook

Quote from: "Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry"why all these threads bout nothin man

What do you mean nothing? I for one have learned more about asian eye shapes this morning than I have in all my years on this planet. And to be honest with you I won't rest easy 'til someone answers the Musketeers question either. So there, and use capitals and full stops. Who do you think you are smoker?  ;-)

Speciality meat product

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Brake caliper question

I'm a member of a very knowledgeable car forum, so i'll put that question to them, and let you know the answer.

I bet you can hardly wait.

NattyDread

One that's niggled at me for a while:

Why, if Cuba and the USA are long standing enemies, is Guantanamo Bay situated in Cuba?

hencole

Quote from: "Muteki"
Yeah, cos you really know how to fucking contribute to this place don't you.

I like him. I'm going to catch him and keep him in a cage in my room and feed him dry roasted peanuts.

Bogey

Quote from: "zozman"Why do black people (yes, all of them in the entire world) say the word "axe" instead of "ask".

This is all getting a bit BNP isn't it?

When the slave traders loaded up their ships with Africans, in order to minimise the chances of organised rebellions, they made sure they mixed the slaves up as much as possible, language-wise.
As a result of this, the slaves formed their own means of communication, based on bits of their own languages, as well as English words they overheard from their captors. This is the origin of the Creole languages of the West Indies.

Quote from: "Melvyn Bragg, in "The Adventure of English""And still there, but buried deep, are archaic English expressions such as the English seventeenth-century "from" for "since", as in "from when I was a child I could do that", and "aks" for "ask" ("ax" in Old English), "cripsy" for "crispy" - all stewed in with Yoruba, Ibo, Spanish, French, Portuguese and mixed to a language as plaited as any on the planet.

I bet you didn't know that Nick Griffin, you reprehensible little prick.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "hencole"
Quote from: "Muteki"
Yeah, cos you really know how to fucking contribute to this place don't you.

I like him.

As much as I usually hate people sticking up for trolls, I like him too.

At least he hasn't subjected us to his lengthy hardcore anal rape fantasies.

Gazeuse

I find his posts work well when read in a hilbilly drawl.

swinny

Quote from: "zozman"Why do the 3 musketeers have swords and not, um, muskets?

Not a complete answer, but according to Dictionary.com, one definition of Musketeer is "A member of the French royal household bodyguard in the 17th and 18th centuries."

...Perhaps implying that if you were deadly enough, your weapon of choice needn't be a firearm providing you have the moves to protect king Louis against that scheming Cardinal Richelieu fella (all whilst thrying to get ya leg over that cat bird in the cape).

Speciality meat product

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"How do the French describe a feeling of deja vu?

s'appenin' again, like

Evil Knevil

Quote from: "NattyDread"One that's niggled at me for a while:

Why, if Cuba and the USA are long standing enemies, is Guantanamo Bay situated in Cuba?

They've rented Guantanamo Bay since well before the Cuban Revolution in 1959. I think since the Spanish American war of 1902? Effectively, it's like Hong Kong, but with an indefinate lease. The US pays something like $100,000 a year for it, but since 1961 Cuba has refused to bank the cheques!!

Since tensions have arisen, it would be on the onus for Cuba to 'liberate' the bay. That's not likely to happen. I.e they would get their ass kicked.

zozman

Thank you kind people, for the answers to my questions!!

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry"why the bad shit just speakin my mind dude

That's the problem.Your mind equates to about 6 words strung together without the effort of punctuation.

You're an idiot.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "DevlinC"I can understand black people having black skin.. something to do with it being hotter where they're from so they evolved to have extra protection or something (could be lies of course).. but this one totally puzzles me.

That's what I don't understand. I get called a numpty for wearing black when it's hot but lots of Arabs wear black in the desert and no one calls them a numpty. Lots of people from hot climates are black. They should be silver. People from colder climates should be black.

Where exactly are the likes of Dogger, Chromerty, German Bight, North Utsire, South Utsire, Viking, Fisher etc etc?

Moderate, with fog patches.