Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:49:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

UK based Film Podcasts

Started by Harpo Speaks, January 15, 2012, 11:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo Speaks

Can anyone recommend any decent ones aside from Kermode & Mayo? There seems to be plenty of US ones available (Filmspotting and /Filmcast being my favourites), but would be nice to hear some good ones that run alongside the UK release schedule.

danyulx

Though it's been Missing-in-Action for a good six months or so now, which upsets me, The Lost Picture Show is hands down not only the best UK Based Film Podcast out there, but also the greatest podcast there ever was, of all podcasts, no argument. I envy anyone now discovering the 174-show archive for the first time.

The end of the each week's show, one of the two hosts picks "a forgotten gem of cinema, a film that never got the recognition that it deserved" that the other hasn't seen. They both go home and watch it separately, then give it a 30-90 minute review together on the following show. Sometimes both in agreement; sometimes a violent clash. I've discovered too many great films and filmmakers to mention listening to this podcast.

Great hosts too: Julien and John.. Affable, clued up to the hilt on film history and filmmaking - unlike most the film podcasting bastards out there, who haven't got a fucking clue - full of facts and insight. Never anything but a pleasure.

danyulx

In terms of "the latest releases!"-type UK film podcasts though: as far I've cottoned on there are none out there worth listening to other than Kermode's, unfortunately - which I'm a religious weekly listener to, despite me both believing Kermode has both a thoroughly mediocre taste in films and has nothing worthwhile at all to say about films. Nevertheless I enjoy listening to the man.

I was listening to The Guardian Weekly Film Podcast for a while too, but then packed it in. Not because it was particularly shit or anything, but simply because the superior Kermode podcast was enough for me - for one week - in keeping me up-to-date with the Box Office 10, and all that bollocks.

Harpo Speaks

Thanks danylux, I will have a look at TLPS. One I'd looked into recently was Movies You Should See which I didn't take to at all.

Was thinking that someone could do a film show for CaB Radio, there seems to be some decent film knowledge here.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: danyulx on January 16, 2012, 03:50:59 AM
In terms of "the latest releases!"-type UK film podcasts though: as far I've cottoned on there's none out there worth listening to other than Kermode's, unfortunately

It's disappointing, I don't see why that should be. I love Kermode's show even though it has big problems, but nice to have an alternative.

phes

I'm also a weekly listener to Kermode and Mayo despite getting very little from it other than some simple pleasure. I think the main reason I continue to listen is that Kermode and the /film and Filmspotting crews often have very different feelings about current releases and I like that difference in opinion, despite the fact you pretty much know what Kermode will think of any film before he reviews it.

And envy me - just subscribing to the Lost Picture Show!

danyulx

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on January 16, 2012, 03:52:17 AM
Movies You Should See which I didn't take to at all.

I heard a few episodes of that once too, on my hunt for decent film podcasts some years back.  Drivvel. About six presenters and not one them with anything worth saying at all.. Not to mention almost all the films they deem 'worth seeing' aren't.

Famous Mortimer

I'm just reading Kermode's book (brilliant, by the way) and although I don't listen to the show every week, and just catch the reviews via Youtube, he's still the only one in the UK worth listening to. This might be a good idea for a CaB Radio show, by the way - a format similar to the Lost Picture Show would be spot on.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: danyulx on January 16, 2012, 04:02:59 AM
I heard a few episodes of that once too, on my hunt for decent film podcasts some years back.  Drivvel. About six presenters and not one them with anything worth saying at all.. Not to mention almost all the films they deem 'worth seeing' aren't.

The films being chosen wasn't the issue at all, it was mainly the lack of anything remotely interesting being said about them whatsoever. A couple of rare salient points aside, their Four Lions episode was infuriating.

QuoteThis might be a good idea for a CaB Radio show

Indeed, gap in the market. If only had the requisite film knowledge, and the ability to communicate interesting thoughts about film.

Or just the ability to communicate interestingly.

Famous Mortimer

But "Speaks" is right there in your username!

I'm up for this, I know just enough about just enough genres / directors to sound smart even though I'm thick as pigshit (for reals).

WesterlyWinds

Listened to the first 'The Lost Picture Show' today and then watched 'The Bed Sitting Room' (I'm not entirely sure whether it's meant to be done the other way around for full effect) and quite enjoyed both. Although I feel that some of the film was lost on me, partly due to the fact that I am young and naive, but also because I had to watch it on  YouTube and it was, at times, of atrocious quality. There were some amazing moments in it, though.

Anyone know where I might be able to find "The Tall Target"? Had a little look earlier and came up with nothing but a few short clips and horrendously seeded torrents.

danyulx

No film should ever be watched on youtube. It shouldn't be allowed.

PM me an email address (though hotmail addresses aren't allowed for some strange reason) if you want an invite to somewhere secret where you can get 'The Tall Target' and pretty much every other "non-mainstream" film ever made - the rule of the place. I've never not found a 'Lost Picture Show' film on there.

phantom_power

I liked the choice of films on MYSS but I found their lack of general film knowledge amazing considering they were doing  film podcast. The interminable in-jokes and dicking around didn't help either

non capisco

Quote from: phantom_power on January 17, 2012, 08:13:07 AM
The interminable in-jokes and dicking around didn't help either

That's kind of why I went off the Kermode and Mayo one!

danyulx

I think the Kermode podcast was much better a few years back, when they'd have two podcasts a week: one dealing solely with the box office top 10 and the films reviews, usually running at around thirty mins; the other - much longer - cobbling together the interviews and other guff.

I have little to no interest in hearing any interviews with most of the people they interview on that show.. though there's been the occasional notable exception, Lynne Ramsay a few months back for example. The other week though, as a standard example, I must have have sat through about twenty minutes + of a  Antonio Banderas meets Salma Hayek interview regarding some kids' animated dreck they'd just done the voices for.. before the cold, hard realisation struck me: "Hang on a minute? What the fuck am I doing with my life?"

WesterlyWinds

Where else can I make an email address? I don't think using my university one for illegally streaming films is a good idea and I only have a hotmail one, otherwise.

danyulx

It's not a streaming site, it's a 'private torrent site', i.e. you need a poncy invite from a member to join.. and for some daft reason it won't have hotmail emails. A piss-poor "political statement" against Microsoft perhaps? Anyway, I've got no invites left now unfortunately! I got about five PMs after I posted that message and used them all.

I get given them pretty arbitrarily on there, I'll let you know when I next have one. Maybe in a week or so.

You can get a new email at gmail.

WesterlyWinds

Okey doke. Cheers. Also it's not Demonoid is it? I am already on that.

roboko

danyulx - karagarga, surrealmoviez, cinemageddon, secret-cinema, Bibliotik or brokenstones by any chance?

Neomod

That Lost Great Picture Show podcast is excellent. What's happened to John and Julian?

edit: A little detective work (listening to the Michael Sheen episode) and the Julian is Julian Kemp

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0447312/#Director

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 16, 2012, 01:15:03 PM
But "Speaks" is right there in your username!

Certain parts of my username don't reflect my true personality. Just the bits about me being a kleptomaniac and a sex pest.

Custard

'Have You Seen..?' is worth a listen, too. Pretty new (they're up to episode eight) and it's basically two mates discussing films. Real no frills, interesting podcasting

Some obvious choices maybe (Team America, Dirty Harry, The Nightmare Before Christmas), but the hosts are likeable enough, and the episodes breeze by, as they're only about 50 minutes a pop

Cheers for these recommendations, gonna give a couple a go. The Lost Picture Show sounds right up my street

vrailaine

Checking out the Fat City and Harry & Tonto episodes the Lost Picture Show because they're two kinda forgotten films I like, but I see a fair few for films I'm considering watching. Is it kinda assumed that you've watched the film?

danyulx

I'd recommend watching the films first then listening to The Lost Picture Show episodes afterwards. Spoilers and that.

Fat City is an incredible film, probably one of the best films ever made.. I love that film with all my heart. If the film 'Rocky' was pissed off its head on Stella, that would be it. I think I first discovered that film by ploughing through Harmony Korine's Top 10 Favourite Films List a few years back. As you do.

Hopefully Julian and John are still alive, at least.

Quote from: roboko on January 21, 2012, 04:46:47 PMdanyulx - karagarga, surrealmoviez, cinemageddon, secret-cinema, Bibliotik or brokenstones by any chance?

The hardcore illegal torrent download sites I get my obscure films from - then put on a USB stick then play via my Blu-Ray Player on my telly - are Karagarga.net and Passthepopcorn.me. But I've got no invites left for either at the moment.

I think, clearly, the very notion of "copyright violation" is now in its death throes anyway - a hangover from the last millennia or something. The internet sorted that out good and proper. We're going to - if we want - have to figure out a new weird and wonderful way to feed and drink and clothe our artists and entertainers and technicians instead.. Some kind of enforced "Art/Entertainment Tax" perhaps? I haven't a clue: human civilisation is a madhouse to me. I'd happily forfeit £25-a-week out of my hard-earned Jobseeker's Allowance for the cause anyway, most certainly if they toss a few quid of it back at me for a packet of pencil sharpeners now and again. Fuck knows. We're doomed. [nb]EDIT: Or I am at least.[/nb]

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: danyulx on January 29, 2012, 04:18:02 AM
I'd happily forfeit £25-a-week out of my hard-earned Jobseeker's Allowance for the cause anyway
I wondered how you had the time to watch all these damn films :)

I'm considering a subscription to mubi.com, because they seem to at least pretend to support independent cinema more, and have some interesting stuff to watch. And I like their Ignatiy Vishnevetsky when he's on the telly.

vrailaine

Quote from: danyulx on January 29, 2012, 04:18:02 AM
I'd recommend watching the films first then listening to The Lost Picture Show episodes afterwards. Spoilers and that.

Fat City is an incredible film, probably one of the best films ever made.. I love that film with all my heart. If the film 'Rocky' was pissed off its head on Stella, that would be it. I think I first discovered that film by ploughing through Harmony Korine's Top 10 Favourite Films List a few years back. As you do.
Yeah, I'm kinda considering using the podcast in chronological order as a way to get me to watch types of films I wouldn't otherwise, but I highly doubt I'll be able to commit to that.

Fat City blew me away when I watched it, was thinking "why on earth is this film kinda unknown? It's by John f*cking Huston!"

Just listened to the episode on Comfort and Joy, reminded me that I really enjoyed a lot of that film.

In general, I prefer podcasts that focus on a specific thing rather than that kind of general weekly updates type stuff, cant seem to find many like that at all for films though. If anyone can think of any other ones, UK based or otherwise, lemme know.

James Christopher

Mondo Movie is back, after a long hiatus. Fabulously nerdy horror movie cast, if occasionally a little liberal with the spoilers [/SPOILER SPOILERS].

danyulx

I used to listen to Mondo Movie a few years back. It's quite a good one, recommended. You're like a pig in a shit if you're into Horror/Exploitation films - which I am, a bit - when it comes to Podcasts. There are fuckloads. Or there once was at least; most shows seem to knock it on the head about eight episodes in, barely gotten started and they're already out with their tearful 'finale' episode, like anyone but they themselves gives a toss.

Podcasting is one the very few "internet phenomenons" I hope continues. I love it. Twitter, Facebook, et al. can all get lost, the sooner the better too.

Though not UK-based, the only other film podcast I regularly listen to other than the ones I've mentioned is Sound On Sight: very good. The Peter Greenaway Special episode from a while back - the greatest filmmaker who's ever lived and I'll take on anyone who even dares depute this fact - was particularly excellent. Very insightful.

The Top Ten Greatest Films I've discovered through listening to 'The Lost Picture Show' podcast, off the top of my head, at least half of which there's a very good chance I never would have otherwise -

01) The Small World of Sammy Lee
02) Possession
03) Songs From the Second Floor
04) American Job
05) Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea
06) The Shout
07) Portrait of Jason
08) The Bothersome Man
09) Wise Blood
10) Schultze Gets the Blues

Sam

As I've said before, "The Film Talk" is the best film podcast bar-none. It's a transatlantic thing, one guy is American (but spent a lot of time in UK); the other is from Northern Ireland.

It's so thoroughly and lovingly done that they don't cover many films, maybe one or two each episode and sometimes long gaps inbetween due to their busy lives/being lazy people etc, but it really is in a class of its own.

Agree with all points about K&M's show. I find Kermode's total lack of knowledge and appreciation of non-linear films infuriating. He has about 7 stock sentence constructions (Not without a certain charm; I'd lie if I said I didn't enjoy it ; perfectly fine, etc) and one tautlogical meandering review he wheels out and repeats to cover all films, all of which grate like a linisher to the balls.

However, because it's long and they cover most films out each week, it's good for keeping abreast of what's actually around and worth seeing. Also, the interview slot can be great if it's a great person (obviously).

So K&M if you want middle-of-the-road "what's in the cinemas" and TFT if you want proper film analysis.

vrailaine

Quote from: danyulx on February 01, 2012, 03:56:15 AM04) American Job
This is the thing by the guys who made American Movie, right? I've been looking for it for ages, where'd you find it?