Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:11:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

UK based Film Podcasts

Started by Harpo Speaks, January 15, 2012, 11:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I just didn't get on with The Film Talk that much, I find them to be Siskel & Ebert with degrees in film studies rather than degrees in communication. They may know tons, I just don't think either of them are particularly good at getting those ideas across. Oh, and they had troll Armond White on a recent episode, who is the worst film reviewer I've ever seen get paid for the job.

And I wouldn't worry too much about Kermode and non-linear films, it's not like there's tons of them coming out every week - and once you know that about him, it becomes easy to just go elsewhere if you want to find out if that particular non-linear film is any good or not. I find his views on horror interesting if not always particularly useful, and I think if you've pretty much given up on mainstream cinema then you wouldn't be listening to him anyway.

When you know the predilections of a particular reviewer, as long as you like their style it becomes pretty easy to work round it. Roger Ebert seems to have a large problem with broad comedies - do I ignore the rest of his excellent film criticism because of that? Of course not. Kermode bangs on about bollocks horror films - never mind, he's an interesting reviewer.

By the way, Kermode's new book, "The Good, The Bad, and the Multiplex" is an absolute corker, apart from an overlong story at the beginning about the problem he had going to a multiplex with his daughter one day. Fascinating stuff about the business, and all that.

DJ Solid Snail

I find Kermode immensely likeable, entertaining and well-informed, but I have tremendous difficulty getting through any given podcast purely on the basis of Simon Mayo's overwhelming lack of all of these traits. I realise it's technically his show, but his consistently unfunny interjections, contrived contrariness, inverted snobbery and heavy sarcasm grate the hell out of me, and inevitably I'm forced to switch off. Not to mention his choices of emails to read out suggests a total lack of awareness as to what is interesting and what is not. The only time I'll find him semi-tolerable is when they're doing an interview and his incessant twattery is somewhat reined in. Presumably he's merely attempting to cultivate and maintain a marketable schtick, but he's irredeemably unfunny and often comes off as slightly hateful, and I usually end up praying in vain that he'd just shut the fuck up and let Kermode do his job.

non capisco

Quote from: DJ Solid Snail on February 08, 2012, 05:48:48 PM
I find Kermode immensely likeable, entertaining and well-informed, but I have tremendous difficulty getting through any given podcast purely on the basis of Simon Mayo's overwhelming lack of all of these traits. I realise it's technically his show, but his consistently unfunny interjections, contrived contrariness, inverted snobbery and heavy sarcasm grate the hell out of me, and inevitably I'm forced to switch off.

Yep, same here. The main reason I gave up listening despite it being the only real weekly UK film podcast was that I'd prefer a programme about films to not have one of the hosts displaying a contrived disdain of a passion for cinema half the time. "Film of the week?" "*Kermode says film* "And for all the normal people?" That type of aggravating shit. Mayo is the reason it sometimes takes them 15 minutes to even start talking about films.

The Guardian Film Weekly podcast does tell you about the films that are currently showing and is Mayo-free.

danyulx

Probably just me - being a bit of a bender - but I've always found Kermode and Mayo on-air camaraderie slightly "homoerotically flirtatious", for want of a better phrase. I'm forever waiting for the show where Mayo  gets a bit carried away and accidentally blurts out with: 'You're looking very handsome today, Mark.. How about a kiss?" Mark (putting on a camp voice): "Oh Simon!"

Mayo does my does in. He knows nothing about anything.

Off to bed pissed - alone - to listen to the latest show - featuring 'Phantom Menace 3-D' review - on my Ipod. And these are the good times.

Shit Good Nose

Apologies for the mega bump, but those still frustrated about the relative lack of British film podcasts (and most of those that there are are either INCREDIBLY dry and/or dull as fuck, or annoying comedians not really talking about films) may be interested in the Kermode On Film podcast - seems to be what most people in this thread were asking for, i.e. do away with Mayo, mix in some interviews, etc.

It's relatively short (typically 40-50mins, though there are one or two that run for an hour) and it's only been going for a few months, but it's probably the best UK based one currently running.  The bias is towards older films and general interviews, but the odd new film does get some coverage.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on January 15, 2012, 11:22:13 PM
Can anyone recommend any decent ones aside from Kermode & Mayo? There seems to be plenty of US ones available (Filmspotting and /Filmcast being my favourites), but would be nice to hear some good ones that run alongside the UK release schedule.

I just came on here to ask for the same thing because I'm boycotting the BBC so no longer getting Kermode and Mayo.

Thanks for saving me the trouble, have some karma*

*which we can't do anymore**

** probably because of Brexit no doubt.

Ham Bap

I listen to a good horror one called The Evolution of Horror.
All horror films

notjosh

Not UK-based, but I've recently started dipping into The Projection Booth. They do looong podcasts on specific films with some amenable-enough and fairly well-informed hosts, but the good stuff is when they get interviews with screenwriters, composers, production designers etc. I listened to a 3-hour podcast on Demolition Man last week and it was fascinating.

You can see the episodes with lists of guests here:
http://www.projectionboothpodcast.com/p/show-roster.html

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: notjosh on January 28, 2019, 02:10:07 PM
Not UK-based, but I've recently started dipping into The Projection Booth. They do looong podcasts on specific films with some amenable-enough and fairly well-informed hosts, but the good stuff is when they get interviews with screenwriters, composers, production designers etc. I listened to a 3-hour podcast on Demolition Man last week and it was fascinating.

You can see the episodes with lists of guests here:
http://www.projectionboothpodcast.com/p/show-roster.html

Yes, good shout, although they tend to be a little bit too dry for me, so I only listen to them when the film they cover is of particular interest.

It's VERY difficult striking a good balance between interesting analysis/intellectualising and bantz.  I think Kermode On Film manages it but, as another non-UK one, I can heartily recommend Saturday Night Sleepover - two professional industry types who went to film school, so they've got all the technical knowledge and know how to read themes and stuff, but they also watched a shit load of movies together as kids so they've still got the geekiness and humour about it as well.

Another (quite new) UK based one is Films To Be Buried With, hosted by Brett "From Derek" Goldstein.  It's a bit too early to tell at the moment and could go either way.  Goldstein himself is a bit of a...n interesting host, and the guests are mostly annoying comedians who don't really talk about films, but the live Will Poulter episode is well worth a listen and one or two others have moments.