Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:15:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 6 20/11/2012

Started by VegaLA, January 20, 2012, 09:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

I know, more Zombies but I really can't help myself.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/25607/Resident-Evil-6-Announced/

Leon Kennedy and Chris Redfield are back in what looks like a return to the RE roots with RE 4's features. Could be a hit after RE 5 which some fans claim was a disapointment after RE 4.

I've not touched the series since Codename Veronica on the PS2 but I still pray the original 3 games will make their way onto the 360 but since thats very unlikely to happen i'm going to keep my eye on the development of RE 6.

RE Racoon City seems to have killed the series for some of you here, so what do you think of the news of RE 6?

Rev

RE5 was a disappointment, as it felt like it was designed by Capcom's shareholders, eager for lightning to strike in the same place twice.  'That bit was popular - do that again.  That guy with the minigun?  Yeah, doesn't make much sense, but we'll have him back'.  Plus the whole bullet-dodging Wesker thing.  The trailer looked great, though.

The trailer for this one is a complete mess.  There are a few seconds of what we can take to be representative of gameplay there, but otherwise it's just a bunch of bits and pieces that don't give a very clear impression of what's it's about other that wooouggh zombies and shit.

I hope they know what they're doing.  I can't name a book or a film or an album, but I can name RE4 as my favourite game of all time, so fingers crossed for a worthy successor.

Mister Six

Hmm, yeah, I dunno. If this had come straight after RE4 I'd be spaffing my pants, but RE5 almost killed all my interest in the series. However, it does do a lot right to re-ignite my interest. To wit:

• Linking up the 'Leon Kennedy: US agent' and 'Chris Redfield: international BOW hunter' storylines. RE4 and RE5's shifting focus made the series seem a bit schizophrenic, so combining them is interesting to me.
  • Splitting the game between traditional zombie action and intelligent parasite baddies from RE4/5 will hopefully lead to a mix of playing styles and tones. I just hope it doesn't feel too fragmented.
  • The voice acting is generally really good, which is a first for the franchise, and I like how the sound editing makes the characters sound like they're actually stood in real locations rather than in front of microphones.
  • The new character is a good addition. RE protagonists have always been slightly boring and overly earnest, in contrast to the interesting supporting characters, so having a player character who's a cocky Han Solo type is fun.

Less good is the lack of strong, central female characters. Since Code Veronica the series seems to have veered almost completely away from heroic female characters. The one in RE5 was all right, but she was very secondary, and
Spoiler alert
having Jill Valentine become a brainwashed evil villain kind of cancelled her out.
[close]
Oh, and the cover stuff is a bit worn out now, but the addition of at least one monster that can grab you from behind cover is nice. So long as things remain hectic and it doesn't turn into another wait-wait-wait-stand-shoot-crouch-wait games it should be okay.

Basically, that trailer's got me back on board, but I won't buy it without reading a review or two first.

Consignia

At this juncture, I'm not sure. Despite the promises in the the start of the trailer of something different, it just appears to be more of the same. RE5 disappointed so much, it killed off my interest in the series almost completely, and this does little to reignite anything.

That said, the demo of the 3DS game was released a couple of days ago, and despite the odd monster design, it appears a bit of a return to form. It's very atmospheric, and less actiony.

Hank Venture

I thought RE5 was alright, so I'm looking forward to this. I do hope it's more like RE4 though, or even RE0. God, why haven't they released that as a downloadable?

VegaLA

Quote from: Hank Venture on January 21, 2012, 04:43:24 PM
God, why haven't they released that as a downloadable?

Good point, would like to see 1, 2 and 3 on XBL but I wonder how well HD RE4 and Code Veronica sold on LIVE?

Dark Sky

I feel I should try and get into the Resident Evil games.  They look so boring to me, though.  I'm more of a Silent Hill fan, I guess.  Though half those games are pretty boring.

I do like this, though:

Hank Venture

The logo is photoshopped and it's a samefag, look at the filename. Next.

Mister Six

Nice of you to join in the fun, Hank. What a lovely response.

Actually, the image has only been changed with the addition of a line around the edge to highlight its shape. If you google the proper logo it looks essentially the same. Ie: like a woman giving a giraffe a blowjob.

Hank Venture

Quote from: Mister Six on January 23, 2012, 04:55:03 AM
Nice of you to join in the fun, Hank. What a lovely response.

Actually, the image has only been changed with the addition of a line around the edge to highlight its shape. If you google the proper logo it looks essentially the same. Ie: like a woman giving a giraffe a blowjob.

Alright, that was a bit shit. Pardon. It definitely looks like that in the original aswell, they've just modified it slightly so the woman has calves, a bum, an eye, high heels and the giraffe has ears and those things on top of the head. I didn't see it before seeing the modified version, I cannot unsee it after.

Dark Sky

The logo has been photoshopped a bit, it's true.  But why let the truth stand in the way of a gag?

Hank Venture

I regret doing it. I think it was the 4chan-design that woke my long dormant inner Anonymous, which as we've now established isn't appropriate for a non-Anon forum.

falafel

Still, we'll be wanting your keys back.

Hank Venture

My dog ate them. You can all bum me instead.