Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:09:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The 'Unconventional Music News' Archive

Started by alan nagsworth, January 23, 2012, 01:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Bung it all in. All the R Kelly 'Trapped In The Closet' bits and all of Morrissey's increasingly baffling, vitriolic shite. There's room in the archive for every nonsensical piece of removed-from-the-music music news.

Here we go, then. From 1999:

Super Furries back Cardiff City's bid for Europe with a five-figure sum

The kit sponsorship, with shirts emblazoned with the band's name, is thought to be unique in the Nationwide League.

Lead singer Gruff Rhys said the band could not afford to back the side in the Nationwide League but said he hoped the cup kit deal was a positive thing for the team.

"Hopefully, they will go through to Europe," he said.

Band member Guto Pryce added: "We are both from Cardiff and City fans, but the other three band members are from north Wales and are not so big on Cardiff."

The kit deal drew a bemused reaction from the players themselves.

Midfielder Willie Boland said: "You cannot get much trendier than that, can you?"

Striker Kevin Nugent, though, struck a more professional note on the deal.

"Once you get the shirt on, you tend to forget about it."

Trendier than SFA? I'd say you could get a damn sight trendier, to be honest, but maybe they're a lot more famous in Wales. Isn't 'Mwng' something like the 11th best-selling Welsh album of all time? Mind you, it is amazing... Anyway, here's the pics or GTFO:

I decided to dig a little deeper and found a site selling one of the SFA-printed shirts (in size XL for £75). Nice tidbit of further information here, really made me laugh:

QuoteUltra rare home shirt sponsored by pop group 'Super Furry Animals', released for the 1999-00 Welsh Cup campaign in which the side were defeated by Barry Town in the first round

So, not a complete waste of Gruff's five-figure donation, then. At least they got to see City face off against the mighty Barry Town.

Have at ye, weird musician news!

Oops! Wrong Planet

Roger DeCourcey is Rick Wakeman's manager.  I'll try to think of something better later.

Paaaaul

Louise Mensch's husband is manager of Metallica.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Oops! Wrong Planet on January 23, 2012, 01:39:54 PM
  Roger DeCourcey is Rick Wakeman's manager.  I'll try to think of something better later.

Which one is he in the photo again?

momatt

The recent news that Tom Jones is going to work with Jack White qualifies for this I think.  They might even make some good tunes.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 23, 2012, 06:53:30 PM
http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45193-disney-is-selling-a-joy-division-mickey-mouse-shirt/

This is both quite nifty, yet achingly depressing.

QuoteDoes Disney know that the singer of this band hanged himself?! Do they know where the name "Joy Division" comes from?! Do they know how stupid this guy looks wearing this T-shirt?

I'd prefer these on a shirt:

Don_Preston

Heard this on 6music earlier, so found the link to the story.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2012/01/23/judas-priest-star-kk-downing-unveils-astbury-hall-luxury-hotel-plans/

Whispy-haired former guitarist for leather-studded Brummie twin guitar pop-metallers Judas Priest, has aims to be in the hotel trade by building one in his 320-acre Astbury Hall estate.

Vitalstatistix

Does Disney know that the singer of this band hanged himself?! Do they know where the name "Joy Division" comes from?! Do they know how stupid this guy looks wearing this T-shirt?

The idea that Disney don't know anything about Joy Division is laughable. They just want to get in on some viral marketing shit.

momatt

Hulk Hogan almost joined Metallica
http://www.factmag.com/2012/01/27/hulk-hogan-almost-joined-metallica/

"I used to be a session musician before I was a wrestler. I played bass guitar. I was big pals with Lars Ulrich and he asked me if I wanted to play bass with Metallica in their early days but it didn't work out."

alan nagsworth

Just think about how much of a consistently brilliant band Metallica could have been if that had happened. The mind boggles.

doppelkorn

The fights in St. Anger would have been more exciting if he had

gmoney

In this alternate world, was it up to Cliff Burton to slam Andre the Giant?

boki

And would a well-timed leg-drop have saved that bus from a-tumblin'?

momatt

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 27, 2012, 05:12:20 PM
Just think about how much of a consistently brilliant band Metallica could have been if that had happened. The mind boggles.

Oh hell yes.  Napster would never have dared to piss them off.

CaledonianGonzo